DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why didn't the Forsaken simply free the Dark One during the AoL?

Andhaira

Lanfear was able to drill the Bore herself, with some help. So, after she turned to the Dark, why didn't she finish what she started? She knew the weaves for drilling bores, simply drill and keep drilling until the DO was free.

What am I missing here?

Stopping the Wheel totally destroys the world. If the Pattern is no longer woven, existence effectively ceases. He wants to destroy the Wheel, effectively destroying existence. Moridin/Ishamael is Nae'blis because he is the only one who understands and supports this goal.

The DO wants to stop the Wheel, but not totally destroy the world.

I disagree. I think the world aka the Pattern is the prison itself, which is held in place by the Wheel like a tied off weave. In my oppinion the Dark One HAS to destroy the world to break free, but to do that he must enter the world first. Simply being in the world isnt being free, he must then destroy the whole thing.

One reason why might have been the Light side interfered.

Another reason might be that they got distracted.

Robert Jordan not being able to answer if asked? I am not sure. He might have came up with reasons; not excluding the ones I mentioned.

Or he might have responded with "Read And Find Out" if he decided to explicitly reveal it in this series.

I suppose they need the Dragon for that.

I think this falls under the same question as:

"Why didn't Elan Balefire the pattern out of existence back in the AoL? After all, he most likely had access to Sa'angeral."

they didn't need the dragon to drill the bore through either. If lanfear and beidomon managed to tap into the DO's prison then the question arises why not expand on it? I can't believe no one has ever asked this question to jordan. Maybe terez can help

I dont even know who that is hahaha

He wrote The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. A series where the Big Bad is imprisoned within reality by reality. And that in order to escape, he needs to destroy reality.

So, after she turned to the Dark, why didn't she finish what she started?

No one's loyalty to the Great Lord is that strong that they would risk setting him completely free. If there is a being whose might is so utterly powerful as to leave you whimpering even by standing near the Bore while he's mostly sealed? Would you let him free?

The only one who would actually want him free is Moridin/Ishamael. And he is not the type to brute force something. Not to mention that I very much doubt he had access to the power needed to do anything to the prison (as it was only really accessible at the Bore).

Perhaps there were very specific instruments/ter'angreal necessary for the process in the Collam Daan and Sharom that were destroyed the first time? As far as not wanting to fully release the Dark One, I do not think that is the case, the only ones who knew the Dark One wanted to destroy the Wheel and not simply rule it were the ones who wanted it to happen, such as Elan Tedronai.

I don't think they can open the bore any more, all they did was allow the darkone to touch the world, and in the age of legends the dark one did not have much time to widen the bore, so it was just a small hole. Even after being sealed he could make the hole bigger, so eventually in the current time period its big enough he can affect the world again even while sealed away, which is when he started attacking the seals themselves. The bore now is probably wide enough that he is almost completely free behind the seals and they are all that is stopping him from breaking out.

Lanfear was able to drill the Bore herself, with some help. So, after she turned to the Dark, why didn't she finish what she started? She knew the weaves for drilling bores, simply drill and keep drilling until the DO was free.

What am I missing here?

IIRC wasnt there one hell of an explosion that killed Beidomon and destroyed the majority of the lab? I would assume that they stopped boring at that point, after living through that I doubt Meirin was any too anxious to try again or anyone else for that matter. Then in time since, at the time of the 3rd age all the POV's we've seen from SG state that it is dangerous to channel that close to the bore. So even if there were a few of the Foresaken that have the knowledge and the desire I think it could well be catastrophic to try again.

The Dark One can't escape. The only way for him to escape is to create a paradox since he's been imprisoned in a infinity times in the past and future and infinity versions of what can happen. That is at least if the circular nature is of the wheel is cirular in itself like they make it seem. That there is no beginning or end.

The question goes does the Wheel spin and spit out infinite different instances of the 7 ages and each one new... or is it an infinite loop and truly what is the past is the future which is a paradox to human understanding of time. How can something stretch to infinity yet a closed loop?

If everything Rand is going to do is the past and everything he's done is the future, where does that leave the DO? How can he win in instances where he's already lost? In a closed loop infinite 7 age scenario the only way to break the closed loop is to create a paradox and break the pattern. Not the Pattern but the pattern of losses and how the ages work. This would likely have to result in the breaking the Pattern too.

Archived