DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When to read New Spring prequel

Guest bminion

I am getting ready to start reading this series and am wondering if I should start with the prequel "New Spring" or should I read the books in the order they were published?

Brad

Welcome to the forum and the series! I'd advise you to read at least the first 3 main books first, myself. Also, be careful on this site to avoid spoilers! Even thread titles can sometimes give stuff away. Maybe bookmark your thread.

Seconded.

Read the books as they were published. New Spring adds a lot of background info that should remain hidden until much later into the story.

As I said in another thread, I think it is best to read it in publication order, which would be after book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight). The second best point to read it (if you can't wait that long) would be after book 6 (Lord of Chaos).

The reason is that if you read up to book 10, you will get to meet an important character introduced late in the main series before (s)he shows up in New Spring. Also, if you have at least read book 6 you will know the fates of two of the major characters in New Spring. Not knowing this makes New Spring less rewarding, even though its certainly still a good read.

Another matter, which is very important to me, is to avoid spoilers. I like the gradual introduction to the world and how the Power works in the main series. If you start out with New spring before the main series, this gradual revelation is "spoiled". Not everyone cares as much about this, but since I do, I thought I'd mention it.

I agree with what some of the others have said. New Spring assumes the reader knows a little more about the world and the way the magic systems work.

I'd say book 6 or so would be a safe point to read it. It's a good story, but it's really interesting back story for fans of the series.

welcome to WoT! You've stumbled across in my opinion (and I'm assuming most people heres), the most epic book series ever written. As for your question, I read New Spring after book 13 Towers of Midnight and I loved the decision to wait until then. Made me appreciate the characters in New Spring much much more. Hope you enjoy

Personally, I think in publication order, so after book 10 but if you just can't wait then after book six at the very least.

Welcome to the world of WOT. I'm sure you'll love it and these forums too.

To avoid spoilers, stick to the structured sub forum because it's hell for leather here. You'll be able to find comprehensive answers there without WTF's if you read stuff here (up to 13) and you're only on say, book 2.

Welcome to the fantastic world of WoT! :wheel:

I think put off New Spring until at least book 10. In fact, I read New Spring as the first book in my first re-read and I was very happy with my decision. It let me appreciate the intricacy of the character and plot threads even more. So basically - read it quite late in the series!

Happy reading! :)

• 8 years later...

Old thread, but this was the first in Google, so adding on the discussion for new readers asking this same question..

Everyone here has answered in respect to spoilers--the earlier you read NS, the more it spoils. So that's a balance for preference... There still a valid (most important) question of what *you* want from the prequel. Everyone here has responded from the position of using the prequel to give hindsight appreciation to what you already know. Valid. Very valid.

Another way to approach the prequel is to use it to build momentum to the story arc, specifically in this case, the arcs of two of the major characters that have development in book 6. If you read NS after book 6, you develop hindsight appreciation. However, you might appreciate the momentum of leaning into their backstory *before* their development. In that case, reading after book five and before book six can serve the momentum of the series for you. You can feel a strong pull for those characters which makes book six then more impactful...

...Anything later, and then you're just left with a discussion of minimizing spoilers, in which case, publication order would be best, in my opinion.

It's a discussion of how you want to use the prequel to aid your reading. Strategically building momentum? Or hindsight appreciation? Both are valid ideas. No perfect answer since you're trading one for spoilers and vice versa. My opinion: either after book five, or wait till publication order.