DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene versus Perrin.. who is better in the TAR/Wolf Dream?

Dreggs Morlock

Just had a thought (I maybe wrong) but all through the series Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne ect clothes seem to change in TAR when their minds wonder. I cannot remember it happening once to Perrin. Maybe its because with his connextion with the wolves it is more natural for him to be there and he naturaly more sub-consious controle

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mogh turns Birgitte into a child and Nyn finds it too difficult to undo herself even after she has Mogh collared. That's the type of stuff Egwene could do that Perrin has not, he's all about his own actions, not about the big picture. And the big picture is way more powerful than popping in and out and hitting someone.

Rahvin attempts to make Rand just fade out of existence while they're there in the flesh, Perrin has never done anything like that. And while Perrin could unmake Egwene's weaves, it's much more difficult to unmake things done mentally by others in TAR. Weaves would require no mental struggle to dissipate cause they are effectively "real" or as real as all the other reflections that are easily manipulated. So that's really not that impressive at all.

I mean, a good example of the difference would probably be that Perrin followed slayer. The real TAR pros just "lock" people where they want them. Mogh and the wise ones and such. You can't poof away, or even wake yourself up once they hold you there. Even Elayne and Nyn learn how to do that in TFoH.

Perrin may not be able to do it to others, but what makes you think they can do it to him? He seems to have complete mastery of himself.

I think Perrin is the stronger because of his style of fighting. Egwene's seem just to see who has the strongest will, were as Perrin's is more imaginitive ie; birds as warnings, replicas ect. Also though I have no way of noing I can't see Egwene even atemping to heal TAR as Perrin tries to in ToM epilogue.

Right. But in TAR, where you can do just about anything, willpower seems to be the major stat.

Perrin is the sword goon from the original batman movie, Egwene, Batman -- obviously. (starting 1:55)

Right. But in TAR, where you can do just about anything, willpower seems to be the major stat.

Perrin is the sword goon from the original batman movie, Egwene, Batman -- obviously. (starting 1:55)

Actually, it's the other way around. Or at least it was in the WT fight.

-Egwene ties him up with rope - he escapes

-Egwene ties him up using OP - he escapes

-goon no 2 balefires him - he just brushes it off. Goon dies.

He must have had body armor :rolleyes:

Perrin has a lot of training fighting nightmares, so he's proved again and again that he can manage TaR pretty well.

Repeat: Does anyone remember Perrins clothes changing in TAR. If not I take that as evidence that Perrin is instinctivly the most suited to TAR and as such the only people who can match him are Slayer and Wolfbrothers.

Given he had troubles being a wolf or a man, I don't think your implication holds water. That could be seen as even worse that just messing up your clothes. Also, he had troubles with axe versus hammer. That said, he's likely fine now.

Actually, it's the other way around. Or at least it was in the WT fight.

-Egwene ties him up with rope - he escapes

-Egwene ties him up using OP - he escapes

-goon no 2 balefires him - he just brushes it off. Goon dies.

He must have had body armor :rolleyes:

Perrin has a lot of training fighting nightmares, so he's proved again and again that he can manage TaR pretty well.

It would be "unwise" to think that suggests Perrin is better, since Egwene was "rusty". We do know the TAR non-wolf pros have the cool tricks that trap, lockdown, and change others. Perrin's the one who uses it to bounce around like crazy but ultimately still resorted to melee. That was more the point.

To Kael

Given he had troubles being a wolf or a man, I don't think your implication holds water. That could be seen as even worse that just messing up your clothes. Also, he had troubles with axe versus hammer. That said, he's likely fine now.

Both problems he had in the real world. Separating himself from the wolf. And the whole axe v hammer thing. Those were real issues he had through out the series. Egwenes biggest problems were not whether she should dress like an Aiel or ware TR wool.

To Kael

Both problems he had in the real world. Separating himself from the wolf. And the whole axe v hammer thing. Those were real issues he had through out the series. Egwenes biggest problems were not whether she should dress like an Aiel or ware TR wool.

Which pretty much amounts to the same thing. The thoughts the character battles with the most internally shows up visually in TAR... Perrin and the wolf/hammer thing, Egwene and where she fits in the best. That she has made her decision doesn't mean doubts go away... as anyone who has ever had to make difficult decisions like that can attest.

Look... a lot of the good theories I've seen on MoL revolve around TAR, and I expect to see Egwene putting a lot of the doubts seen here to rest. Lets hope so; I really liked how the Perrin arc started to tie itself up, lets hope Egwene's TAR issues do likewise.

To Kael

Which pretty much amounts to the same thing. The thoughts the character battles with the most internally shows up visually in TAR... Perrin and the wolf/hammer thing, Egwene and where she fits in the best. That she has made her decision doesn't mean doubts go away... as anyone who has ever had to make difficult decisions like that can attest.

Look... a lot of the good theories I've seen on MoL revolve around TAR, and I expect to see Egwene putting a lot of the doubts seen here to rest. Lets hope so; I really liked how the Perrin arc started to tie itself up, lets hope Egwene's TAR issues do likewise.

I understand your point. But the first point I made was Perrins clothes had never changed in TAR, while Egwenw AND Elayne, nynaeve ect did. Kael pointed out Perrin changed to a wolf and his weapon changed. well you have prob read it. My point being Perrins probs in the real world went way beyond a identity crisis. He changed body and mind (yellow eyes, wolves in the mind) it was only natural this should Appear in TAR.

I don't think your theory about Egwenes identity issues stand as it happened to all TAR virgins from the windfinders,rebel AS ,Nynaeve and Elayne.

In my opinion I think that while Egwene has become skilled in TAR, Perrin through his wolves connextion sees it as his domain and with his training has became a true TAR master with only Slayer to rival him.

His atempt to heal TAR at the end of ToM was awesome and I don't think Egwene would even consider it.

It'll probably play out with Perrin and Egwene going to the tower together. They'll each do something to impress one another. Perrin will walk right through the dome, and Egwene will do something as well. I just hope they actually sit down with each other and discuss their abilities. Is that too much to ask for? Teamwork? Haha.

It'll probably play out with Perrin and Egwene going to the tower together. They'll each do something to impress one another. Perrin will walk right through the dome, and Egwene will do something as well. I just hope they actually sit down with each other and discuss their abilities. Is that too much to ask for? Teamwork? Haha.

Teamwork ha have you read the books.

They tell each other nothing the mafia has nothing on Randlanders when it comes to omerta

I think Perrin is better in controlling it. Egwene may have better than normal control with her ability as a Dreamer and with her training under the Wise Ones, but Perrin is PART of the Wolf Dream. He is a wolf, or at least part of him is, so to him, it is second nature, he belongs there. The wolf dream is part of his very soul.

I think Perrin is better in controlling it. Egwene may have better than normal control with her ability as a Dreamer and with her training under the Wise Ones, but Perrin is PART of the Wolf Dream. He is a wolf, or at least part of him is, so to him, it is second nature, he belongs there. The wolf dream is part of his very soul.

By that logic Birgitte would be the best ever TAR-er. But she doesn't seem to be that good vs Mogh, since she kept trying to shoot at her for some odd reason. I mean a HoH is part of TAR as much as a wolf is. They both call it home between lives.

I just don't get this logic that because he's a wolf brother Perrin must be one-with-TAR, as if hopper didn't have to spend time training him. And if you think he's mastered everything now, you're being silly.

Furthermore, where does this "he's only second to Slayer" business come from? How do we know Slayer is really that good? I mean the guy is fairly new relative to the forsaken and such, and he "streaked" when he moved back in the two rivers like perrin did before he learnt to shift. He also didn't seem to be able to lock perrin down the way Mogh could. I mean he's shown the least prowess of all the baddies in TAR afaik. He used a bow to kill a bird instead of just picturing it on fire or something....

By that logic Birgitte would be the best ever TAR-er. But she doesn't seem to be that good vs Mogh, since she kept trying to shoot at her for some odd reason. I mean a HoH is part of TAR as much as a wolf is. They both call it home between lives.

I just don't get this logic that because he's a wolf brother Perrin must be one-with-TAR, as if hopper didn't have to spend time training him. And if you think he's mastered everything now, you're being silly.

Furthermore, where does this "he's only second to Slayer" business come from? How do we know Slayer is really that good? I mean the guy is fairly new relative to the forsaken and such, and he "streaked" when he moved back in the two rivers like perrin did before he learnt to shift. He also didn't seem to be able to lock perrin down the way Mogh could. I mean he's shown the least prowess of all the baddies in TAR afaik. He used a bow to kill a bird instead of just picturing it on fire or something....

Slayer IS limited to what he "knows" as far as TAR is concerned. But what he "knows" he knows darn well. He seems to be a true artist in one aspect of TAR, and anyone who tries to fight his way is doomed. I expect Perrin to change the "rules" on their fight next book so to speak. Fight the way Slayer wants you to you lose; fight him in a way he is unaccustomed to, you have a good chance of spanking him...which is why I think Egwene might do very well against him indeed.

Well I have to disagree.

First birgitte couldn't get involved in the affairs of the real world so why would she need to learn to fight? TAR is some where she goes when not reborn who knows what she does there?

Wolves are connected to TAR in a different way ALL wolves go there when they die so its a bit of a shitty comparison.

Secondly Slayer seems like he was built with TAR in mind,(man with two souls and all that) it stands to reason that he'll be better than the average dreamwalker doesn't it?

Lastly, if moggy tried what she did to Birgitte and Nynaeve on perrin or Slayer who's to say she wouldn't of had her arse slapped?

Don't know if I'm being silly or not but after seeing Perrin in TAR at the end of ToM I personally feel that Perrin is one of the top TAR masters in the world. I can't prove it but you can't disprove it either.

Guest PiotrekS

I wonder if Slayer is so strong in TAR because he is "the man with two souls". Two souls, double strenth of will and abilities to shape TAR accordingly.

Slayer can enter TAR in the flesh without channeling. I don't remember, can Perrin do that?

I wonder if Slayer is so strong in TAR because he is "the man with two souls". Two souls, double strenth of will and abilities to shape TAR accordingly.

Slayer can enter TAR in the flesh without channeling. I don't remember, can Perrin do that?

Perrin doesn't need channelling to enter, but he can't enter in the flesh. He has to be sleeping. If there is some other way for him to enter TAR, he hasn't shown it yet. Slayer's ability to slip in and out of TAR is, so far, unique.

Guest PiotrekS

Perrin doesn't need channelling to enter, but he can't enter in the flesh. He has to be sleeping. If there is some other way for him to enter TAR, he hasn't shown it yet. Slayer's ability to slip in and out of TAR is, so far, unique.

Thanks, that's how I thought! So Slayer is,as far as we know, the only being who can enter TAR "naturally", so to speak - in the flesh, without the gateway to TAR. That would reinforce the thesis that he is indeed uniquely gifted in TAR.

Egwene's and Perrin's talents are different - their minds can enter TAR easily, but not their whole selfs, body and soul. For that they need the same tools anybody else does.

I he might just be that "strong" because he's there in the flesh.

Perrin doesn't have the ability to create gateways into the dream. He doesn't vanish when he sleeps.

Slayer "phases" into the dream. He's shown an ability to "teleport" or do a similar feat using this ability.

Maybe he has his "strength" because he's two people. I wouldn't say we have any true hints on it because RJ never said whether he was both in both worlds, or he simply switched to Isam in the dream and Luc in the waking world.

Perrin doesn't have the ability to create gateways into the dream. He doesn't vanish when he sleeps.

Slayer "phases" into the dream. He's shown an ability to "teleport" or do a similar feat using this ability.

Maybe he has his "strength" because he's two people. I wouldn't say we have any true hints on it because RJ never said whether he was both in both worlds, or he simply switched to Isam in the dream and Luc in the waking world.

I'm pretty sure Slayer can be either Luc or Isam in either the real world or TAR.

Him being there in the flesh might be what makes him so strong. When Nyneave went to help Rand against Rahvin, Moghedien was terrified telling Nyneave that they were no match for them because they were there in the flesh. It wouldn't change their channelling abilities and Moghedien, as the most skilled of the Forsaken in TAR, and perhaps the most skilled person in TAR period, wouldn't be worried about those anyway. So perhaps being there in the flesh does give you an advantage.

I'm pretty sure Slayer can be either Luc or Isam in either the real world or TAR.

Him being there in the flesh might be what makes him so strong. When Nyneave went to help Rand against Rahvin, Moghedien was terrified telling Nyneave that they were no match for them because they were there in the flesh. It wouldn't change their channelling abilities and Moghedien, as the most skilled of the Forsaken in TAR, and perhaps the most skilled person in TAR period, wouldn't be worried about those anyway. So perhaps being there in the strength does give you an advantage.

I think I'm starting to understand...

So because Perrin must be awesome, and slayer still beat him, slayer must be epic. And since slayer is epic and Perrin almost beat him, Perrin must be awesome.

No, not circular at all.

Him being there in the flesh might be what makes him so strong. When Nyneave went to help Rand against Rahvin, Moghedien was terrified telling Nyneave that they were no match for them because they were there in the flesh. It wouldn't change their channelling abilities and Moghedien, as the most skilled of the Forsaken in TAR, and perhaps the most skilled person in TAR period, wouldn't be worried about those anyway. So perhaps being there in the flesh does give you an advantage.

So because Perrin must be awesome, and slayer still beat him, slayer must be epic. And since slayer is epic and Perrin almost beat him, Perrin must be awesome.

No, not circular at all.

At one point did I mention Perrin?

Besides I could say that you seem to be basing Egwene new status as badass in TAR off her defeat of one Forsaken. A defeat that has lot of circumstances surrounding it, in regards to which it is no different than quite a few other battles. But you don't see anyone trying to justfy that Moiraine is a better channeller than Bel'al because she defeated him or than Lanfear because she KO'd her. Or that Nyneave is better than Moghedien TAR because she once got the better of her, or that Nyneave is better than Rahvin because she torched him.

They don't justify those sort of things because often enough luck and circumstance have just as much to do with a battle than skill and talent. Look at Mat: he's good but his luck has been just a little useful to him. Sometimes the weaker person wins, the better team loses. The end result matters but making decisions on how talented or skilled a person is based solely on those end results would be terribly innacurate.

The reasoning behind Slayer being awesome in TAR is that he seems to have been made with TAR in mind. That and Perrin has said numerous times that Slayer is incredibly strong in the dream and Graendal herself has said that he was special. So there is evidence that Slayer is "epic" in the dream. And Perrin's performance against him is evidence that he isn't too shabby himself.

No, not circular at all.

Besides I could say that you seem to be basing Egwene new status as badass in TAR off her defeat of one Forsaken. A defeat that has lot of circumstances surrounding it, in regards to which it no different then quite a few other battles. But you don't see anyone trying to justfy that Moiraine is a better channeller than Bel'al because she defeated him or than Lanfear because she KO'd her. Or that Nyneave is better than Moghedien TAR because she once got the better of her, or that Nyneave is better than Rahvin because she torched him.

They don't justify those sort of things because often enough luck and circumstance have just as much to do with a battle than skill and talent. Look at Mat: he's good but his luck has been just a little useful to him. Sometimes the weaker person wins, the better team loses. The end result matters but making decisions on how talented or skilled a person is based solely on those end results would be terribly innacurate.

The reasoning behind Slayer being awesome in TAR is that he seems to have been made with TAR in mind. That and Perrin has said numerous times that Slayer is incredibly strong in the dream and Graendal herself has said that he was special. So there is evidence that Slayer is "epic" in the dream. And Perrin's performance against him is evidence that he isn't too shabby himself.

I think Eggs is good because she's been trained by those who are also quite good in a style that has been most effective and versatile and used by the AoLers. The wolf style seems vastly inferior as it's ultimately fancy melee. Sure, a man with a dagger could kill a channeler if he was unexpected and stealthy, but generally my money would be on the channeler.

No, not circular at all.

Besides I could say that you seem to be basing Egwene new status as badass in TAR off her defeat of one Forsaken. A defeat that has lot of circumstances surrounding it, in regards to which it no different then quite a few other battles. But you don't see anyone trying to justfy that Moiraine is a better channeller than Bel'al because she defeated him or than Lanfear because she KO'd her. Or that Nyneave is better than Moghedien TAR because she once got the better of her, or that Nyneave is better than Rahvin because she torched him.

I think Eggs is good because she's been trained by those who are also quite good in a style that has been most effective and versatile and used by the AoLers. The wolf style seems vastly inferior as it's ultimately fancy melee. Sure, a man with a dagger could kill a channeler if he was unexpected and stealthy, but generally my money would be on the channeler.

It has already been shown in the series that channellers of the current Age have managed things which the AoLers thought impossible. Just because the Forsaken fight a certain way in TAR does not mean it is the most effective. And we have yet to see how Moghedien and Lanfear fight in TAR, as they are afterall the best Forsaken in TAR. Then again I can't see them fighting in Slayer's style.

The reason I think Perrin is good in TAR is because he has been trained specifically with fighting in mind, which you'll notice is not the case for Egwene, her training being more general. Furthemore while is style is mostly physical (he has gotten creative at times), it's also instinctive and doesn't have the drawback of channelling (which in TAR is very much a drawback). Perrin's training was also focused on his mastery of himself, which is why I think people would have a hard time manipulating him and his image of himself in TAR, particularly now that he's completely at peace. The wolf style seems to be based on speed and consistently keeping your foe off balance. Perrin also has the advantage of having his wolf senses (sight, hearing, smell).

Whose potential is greatest, I don't think can be determined yet, nor can it be determined conclusively which style is best, as neither have actually been opposed at any point in the series. However I would say that at the moment Perrin has the advantage, due to his intensive training, the fact that his training has been focused purely on fighting, and Egwene having gotten somewhat rusty because of having to focuse on other things.

Perrin would beat Egwene based on what we have seen. His style of fighting is quick and brutual. Egwene would never get the opportunity to have a face-to-face willpower battle and that is the only way she might win.

Perrin has the advantage of being trained by hunters/wolves who rule TAR and have generational memories of TAR passed down, even possibly before AoL.

Another hint of the Slayer's prowess in TAR:

In the entire series, only three men have been called a "Lion". One is Lan (#1 blademaster in the series, call such by Avienhda), Mat (#1 general in the series, called such by Tuon) and the other is the Slayer (#1 in TAR, called such by Hopper). Coincidence? I don't think so.

I don't see how the Egwene faction think they have a leg to stand on.

Egwene beat messy in TAR but that was a contest of wills in combat she was really quite amature, Bairs comment about her being obvious proved that.

While Perrin in contrast has had exstensive TAR combat training and has faced one of TAR's most deadly hunters. And for thoses who doubt Slayers TAR prowess let's look at the facts. He is one man with two souls both of which were princes. (I don't know why that's relevent but it would be too much of a coincidence to be just chance) He can enter TAR in the flesh which makes him stronger and seems to be the shadows main man in TAR, which says something considering they have lanny an moggy. He hunts wolves in TAR which are the most adept creatures there.

Perrin showed at the end of ToM that he is so confedant in TAR he tried to wash away the DO's corruption of it by himself, don't think eggy would try that.

Archived