8 members have voted

1. 1. How Crazy Am I?

• No more crazy than the usual Black Tower fare
    • Crazier than most, I mean how do you not eat
    • I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO THAT ID JUST BE LIKE OMNOMOMNONM

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i actually gave up on most of the tenets, and my health would preclude the fasting at this point. but yeah, it's a long fast. the all day fasts are long. no food, no water, no bathing, no wearing leather, and one other no no. observant people spend most of the evening and day in shul. in my old neighborhood they used to give the kids under 13 bags of candy, and let them run around crazy outside the shul all day. i think it was fun, but iw asn't one of them. it looked like fun.

i don't boom nobody. jew + muslim = quite closely related, actually. which probably explains a lot of the BOOM. but shouldn't.

I like the idea behind the Muslim fasting. I don´t think I could do it for so long though. The longest I managed was four days but then I could drink every other hour. I know it was difficult for Muslims in the northern part of Sweden when the fasting month was in the summer and there were midnight sun. But now I think they can use "Mecca time".

@ locke: I'm pretty sure Christianity had sort sort of fast, I'm pretty sure knights went through a two day fast/reflection period before they were knighted

@ Tina: I've always wondered about how people get by way up north (and south), apparently you can use Mecca/Medina time or the closest place with a proper sunrise-sunset cycle and what type of fasting were you doing?

@locke (again): wouldn't communion count as a ritual?

I'll fast, although not at set aside specific times. Christianity is not a ritualistic religion.

Umm you're forgetting that Catholicism falls under Christianity, and I can assure you, there are more catholic rituals then you can count.

I have a question,

What exactly do you do? Go about your regular lives just without consumption of food and water from sunrise to sunset? Or is there some sort of special ritual that's done this time of the month. When i lived in Malaysia a few of my friends did it but I never really understood it.. Has this question been asked already? I haven#t looked through the rest of the thread cos it's quite late and my eyes are about to drop out of my skull and my brain will soon melt in the heat.

Well actually Christianity is like the other side of the coin as Catholicism. Based on the same thing, but very different in practice.

Actually what most people refer to as "Christianity" is actually Protestantism. Christianity encompasses Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox Sects. So if you were going to use money as an example, if Christianity is the currency, then the three branches would be different denominations.

Christianity has a lot of rituals. They vary between different churches and different Christians though.

Christianity has not. No one. Catholicism and Protestantism and so on have. For me, Christianity is what Jesus told us. The "official" parts of Christianity are all a bit different. By far the most important rule, for Jesus, was "love everyone as you love yourself", or something like that.

@ locke: I'm pretty sure Christianity had sort sort of fast, I'm pretty sure knights went through a two day fast/reflection period before they were knighted

@ Tina: I've always wondered about how people get by way up north (and south), apparently you can use Mecca/Medina time or the closest place with a proper sunrise-sunset cycle and what type of fasting were you doing?

@locke (again): wouldn't communion count as a ritual?

Knights are Catholic. Communion too.

I'll fast, although not at set aside specific times. Christianity is not a ritualistic religion.

Umm you're forgetting that Catholicism falls under Christianity, and I can assure you, there are more catholic rituals then you can count.

As I already explained, Catholicism is not what Jesus told the people. Catholicism is a mix of this and the old European religions.

Nope. Read through the New Testament and count up all the rituals. Communion is the only thing that comes close.

Why ignore the Old Testamant?

Also, what about Baptism or Marriage?

We don't ignore the Old Testament, except the parts where Jesus said to do so, because they are replaced. For example the 10 thingies (whatever they are called). They are replaced by one: "love other people like you love yourself".

Archived