8 members have voted

1. 1. How Crazy Am I?

• No more crazy than the usual Black Tower fare
    • Crazier than most, I mean how do you not eat
    • I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO THAT ID JUST BE LIKE OMNOMOMNONM

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ tinker: actually yeah most of the time we just do whats normal, but what different is: you wake up earlier so you can eat before sunrise, most people try to be more religious, some people go to evening prayers that can take anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on which mosque you go to.

@ ritual dicussion: I think it would be weird to say you don't have rituals, rituals are just things you do over and over again in more or less the same manner e.g. morning ritual- get up, breakfast, drive to work/school. I've been part of Anglican schools since I started going to school and Eucharist/evensong seem pretty ritualistic to me, everytime you do the same sorts of things (sing hymns, read the bible, have a sermon, if its Eucharist have a communion)

Do you know anyone who does? Or anyone you heard of?

A lot of people with psychological problems do. Many of them have "low self-esteem" and don't treat themselves very well. But I don't mean to start a debate. I think the sentiment that Jesus expressed is a great one to make a main tenet of your system; I just don't think it should be the only one.

vi'ahavtah li'y'rayichah camochah, love thy neighbor as thyself, is from what you call the OT originally. first mentioned in those words in Leviticus 19, i think. but a very old concept.

it's repeated several times throughout both "testaments." later called the golden rule, though i think that's more usually rendered do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but i'm not really sure.

rabbi akivah is said to have told a wise guy who asked to be taught the torah while standing on one leg, love thy neighbor as thyself.

just sayin'.

and yeah, ley, lots of people hate themselves. but i would say that even self loathers also love themselves. people are funny.

also, technically, and it doesn't really matter, it's just semantics, as was said above, the word christianity in english includes both catholicism and protestantism, each of which is further subdivided into... well, you know better than me i'm sure. it's not an insult, it's just a word.

hope this doesn't sound fighty, i don't think G-d cares what "team" you're on, but if you do, you do.

no, not the religious debate, lord save us from religious debates. . .

Irony? >.>

I'll fast, although not at set aside specific times. Christianity is not a ritualistic religion.

Umm you're forgetting that Catholicism falls under Christianity, and I can assure you, there are more catholic rituals then you can count.

Catholicism=human organization. Christianity=what Bible says. How many Catholic rituals have a strong Biblical base?

Communion is a ritual. There is a stigma around the word ritualistic, but there's nothing wrong with having rituals. Probably a few things right with having em too.

Yeah, it's also kind of a technicality. What exactly do we mean by the word "ritual".

Nope. Read through the New Testament and count up all the rituals. Communion is the only thing that comes close.

Why ignore the Old Testamant?

Also, what about Baptism or Marriage?

Because it's not all that relevant to this discussion.

Baptism I forgot about until actually having Baptisms at church today instead of a sermon. (Which was too bad, but oh well). I'd put it in the same boat as Communion. Marriage? A ritual? :huh:

What if you hate yourself?:P

Then you have problem. Kinda like 6 billion other people. ;)

marriage. a ritual. of course. and funerals. and prayers and graces and. . . but if you don't like to think of it that way, ok.

and every singe subgroup of belief that sees itself as "based on the bible" believes that it most closely follows what the bible says. every single one. we would probably all disagree on the particulars, but we each see it that way from our own points of view. the bible says an awful lot of things.

and really, wasn't being ironic or sarcastic. religious debates are bad. watch.

@ locke: I'm pretty sure Christianity had sort sort of fast, I'm pretty sure knights went through a two day fast/reflection period before they were knighted

@ Tina: I've always wondered about how people get by way up north (and south), apparently you can use Mecca/Medina time or the closest place with a proper sunrise-sunset cycle and what type of fasting were you doing?

@locke (again): wouldn't communion count as a ritual?

It was not a religious fasting. I just thought I should feel good by doing it.

Well actually Christianity is like the other side of the coin as Catholicism. Based on the same thing, but very different in practice.

Actually what most people refer to as "Christianity" is actually Protestantism. Christianity encompasses Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox Sects. So if you were going to use money as an example, if Christianity is the currency, then the three branches would be different denominations.

That is correct. And you can also dived all those denominations into different churches with different views on the Bible.

Communion is a ritual. There is a stigma around the word ritualistic, but there's nothing wrong with having rituals. Probably a few things right with having em too.

That´s true.

I was going to comment on your posts with my teacher voice. (I have studied Religion/Theology and also been a teacher.) But I will not since many people use to get upset and annoyed if you say something that they don´t agree with when it comes to religion. I love discussing all kind of religious believes but I don´t get into any debates. Everyone has the right to their own opinions.

Well, I don't get upset if someone says something I don't agree with, but I do discuss.

I would say there is not one religion right. They all have something they are right about. In general, help each other, and be nice. In all religions, there are people acting this way. I know many Christians who follow this "rule", and I like all of them (this are something like 150 people). I only know a few Muslims, but I also like them. They are as kind as those Christians I know. It is, by the way, very good to know some Muslims. Then you know the extremists are only a small part of them, that is also dislike by the others.

Well, I don't get upset if someone says something I don't agree with, but I do discuss.

I would say there is not one religion right. They all have something they are right about. In general, help each other, and be nice. In all religions, there are people acting this way. I know many Christians who follow this "rule", and I like all of them (this are something like 150 people). I only know a few Muslims, but I also like them. They are as kind as those Christians I know. It is, by the way, very good to know some Muslims. Then you know the extremists are only a small part of them, that is also dislike by the others.

This I disagree with. First off, all the religions contain flat out contradictions to each other. Only one can be right. (Or none.) And from there, it wouldn't just be about this world or us.

Catholicism=human organization. Christianity=what Bible says. How many Catholic rituals have a strong Biblical base?

You're forgetting that at one point, there was only one form of Christianity, and that was Catholicism. After the Schism and Martin Luther, it branched out. I'm not saying any one branch has it right, but they all came from the same tree.

On that note, there are at least 7 rituals in Catholicism which come directly from the bible. You've already mentioned Communion. Cindy added Marriage and funeral rites (which also covers anointing of the sick), and wombat mentioned baptism. Confession, Confirmation and Ordination are the three missing. Those are the 7 main rituals, but there are many more which also have strong roots to the bible. If you like I would take the time to link passages which directly correlate to the last three, but I won't unless you ask, because I'm feeling lazy right now. Some Protestant sects also perform some of those rituals and others do not, not that it matters but to each their own.

Like I said, I don't practice and I don't care what anyone else practices. As long as people don't cause harm to anyone else, who cares? I'm just arguing that your specific definition of Christianity is technically incorrect. Christianity is a much broader term than what you stated previously:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/christianity

I used to get bummed about having a rough go for a time, be it a day, a week or more. Then I heard a quote from an old man in a film. He said, "Every day you wake up in the morning is a good one, kid." That helped give me some perspective.

I know it's not always as simple as that. I've myself am managing a chemical imbalance, and though meds can help, they often don't work well enough on their own. I kind of take a page out of Robert Jordan when dealing with it. It's like battling the Taint inside your own head some days. I think that's why the BT always appealed to me. Some days are better than others, but when you're feeling well enough when your mood isn't clouding everything happening around you, sometimes you can kinda look back and think, "Yeah, life can be pretty good all in all."

It also helps a bit when you get to hold a newborn for a couple of hours.

That's my whole point for trying to get to the next page, lol.

My brother invited myself, my parents and my grandmother over today. So, I get to my brother's house first. And he tells me I can't come in...

So I'm like, I didn't realize I needed a paper copy of the invitation!

And so he says, yeah, she just needs a minute, you're early.

So I'm like oh, okay I guess I can wait out front.

Then 2 minutes later he comes out with the dog and hands me the leash and a doggie bag and says, I thought you could use some company...

And then it started raining :/

Archived