DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the last battel

ents2

I think it's started already, on some levels.

^^This.

It has started already. And, IMO, the major part of that Last Battle was already won when Rand re-integrated with Lews Therin in Veins of Gold (TGS). I think, had aMoL actually been one book instead of 3, VoG would've been closer to the ending of the story. This change in Rand was/is necessary for him to re-seal the DO's prison and/or defeat him in the end. He already defeated the major influences that the DO had been slowly piling up on him for 12 books. The hardest part of the LB was already won by the Light IMO.

The prophecies indicate there are still some very significant hurdles to overcome, but yes, that one was vital. The Last Battle will probably be fought on a few different levels:

1. Caemlyn/Black Tower

2. Seanchan

3. Tarwin's Gap/Borderlands

4. Shayol Ghul

5. Tel'aran'rhiod

The last ties into 1 and 4 I think.

I think everyhuman city is being attacked simultaneously, Caemlyn, Cairhien, Illian etc. with the Shadow using Waygates portal stones and Travelling. If they can attack deep into the heart of the Light side at Caemlyn would make sense to attack elsewhere at same time

I have a hard time accepting that kind of ending: if Trollocs attack every city you'll end up with many many battles of various scale, but those people fighting everywhere will fight not knowing it's the LB which I find very sad. I'd rather have them standing on the side; either felling/seeing the main events somewhat like at Falme or beeing oblivious of what's hapening.

As for the question: it's beein stated multiple times that VoG needed to happen before the LB so that the Light could have a chance. That's the meaning of the Borderlander test: to see if that particular event had happened to that the LB wouldn't be a disaster. So yes, VoG is very very important, but no it's not hte Last Battle. I guess the "official" start of the LB will be at FoM after all are gathered.

I have a hard time accepting that kind of ending: if Trollocs attack every city you'll end up with many many battles of various scale, but those people fighting everywhere will fight not knowing it's the LB which I find very sad. I'd rather have them standing on the side; either felling/seeing the main events somewhat like at Falme or beeing oblivious of what's hapening.

As for the question: it's beein stated multiple times that VoG needed to happen before the LB so that the Light could have a chance. That's the meaning of the Borderlander test: to see if that particular event had happened to that the LB wouldn't be a disaster. So yes, VoG is very very important, but no it's not the Last Battle.

Exactly. +1!

I guess the "official" start of the LB will be at FoM after all are gathered.

My take?

The Last Battle is the moment the Dragon and the Shadow decide the fate of the Wheel.

Near the end of ToM Perrin & Grady promised Mat that Grady would open a Gateway for Mat "each day at noon" at the exact same spot that dropped Mat, Noal & Thom near the Tower of Ghenjei.

That will finally bring Mat, Perrin & Rand together again, I think.

I think TG will start around that noon on what from that point onwards shall be known as the Last Day. (of that Age)

Rand will then break the last Seal and that will start Tarmon Gai'don; "The moon by day...." [LoC - opening quote]

We'll see black on red in the sky to start it, I think; "...the moon by day in a blood-red sky" [ACoS - Chapter 18]

Then Mat will sound the Horn of Valere and TAR & the Real World will blend as it did in TGH.

At the end of that Last Battle I think the Dragon will win by willing the first Dawn in TAR before the maw of the Shadow/Night of the Void.

He'll choose to sacrifice himself and hope for Salvation and Rebirth and by doing that we'll witness "....the sun by night" [LoC - opening quote & ACoS - Chapter 18], giving us that prophesized second dawn.

*Mik starts chanting 'Break the Seal, break it, break it!'* :myrddraal:

The Last Battle started in Eye of the World when Rand became Ta'veren.

Optimus! I always love reading your thoughts on Taim these days!

While I agree with the sentiment somewhat (the idea that Tarmon Gai'don efectively started at the start of the series), I have a nasty quote:

Alaric on Twitter - 20 July 2010 1:33 am

Should we expect Towers of Midnight to be as predominantly dark in mood as The Gathering Storm was?

Brandon - 21 July 12:15 am

Well, the Last Battle is close, so things aren't getting brighter.

Kinda puts a small dent in your post. But meh..

Let's just say that the War of Shadow (kinda) re-started right where you say.

And that Tarmon Gai'don -even if it is the most important one- is just one of many battles in that war!

"Tomorrow, I meet with the monarchs of the world. After that, I am going to go to Shayal Ghul and break the remaining seals on the Dark One's prison."

Cadsuane: "One more day and it all began. Light, but she hoped that they were ready".

The Shadow is ready. And they are not. If Rand had dealt with the Black Tower a long time ago, they'd be closer to being ready. If Mat had been able to go to Rand and work out the Tuon thing, they'd be totally ready. But as it stands, things are probably going to go a little different than Rand plans.

It has started already. And, IMO, the major part of that Last Battle was already won when Rand re-integrated with Lews Therin in Veins of Gold (TGS).

For me, VOG is the most important part of the whole story.

Let the dragon ride again on the winds of time!

According to Egwene's dream.

Do you mean this dream:

Logain, laughing, steps over something onto a black stone. It looks like Rand's body, but when she touches his face it breaks like a paper puppet.

This is open to multiple interpretations (and indeed has been many times on these boards). It's not certain whether Rand is dead ('looks like' his body) or even whether it's actually Rand (the face like a paper puppet). So the best we can say is 'Rand may die' before these events.

The Last Battle started in Eye of the World when Rand became Ta'veren.

Optimus! I always love reading your thoughts on Taim these days!

While I agree with the sentiment somewhat (the idea that Tarmon Gai'don efectively started at the start of the series), I have a nasty quote:

Alaric on Twitter - 20 July 2010 1:33 am

Should we expect Towers of Midnight to be as predominantly dark in mood as The Gathering Storm was?

Brandon - 21 July 12:15 am

Well, the Last Battle is close, so things aren't getting brighter.

Kinda puts a small dent in your post. But meh..

Let's just say that the War of Shadow (kinda) re-started right where you say.

And that Tarmon Gai'don -even if it is the most important one- is just one of many battles in that war!

Touche salesman!

And about Taim... only a madman would claim that name, if it wasnt his.

Archived