DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine's weilding in tEotW

brolie

I know that when we are reading tEotW for the first time, we don't know as much as we do once we finish the released books. But at the same time, wtf!?!? She does so many things - taking their scent and throwing it to distract the trollocs/fades, pulling the fog to hide where they are - things like that, that seem to not happen as time goes on. Seems like the OP is only used for moving chairs/lifting people, throwing fire balls for protection, and traveling. she utilizes it all so much at first and out of nowhere all of that just stops.

Several people around here believe that books 1-6 was a rough draft, and he didn't really expect to go into detail about the rules for the different systems. There's malleability to the universe that reflects a sort of brainstorming rather than fully fleshed out systems. However, after book 6, everything seems to be following a consistent set of rules.

Remember that Rand unknowingly helped her with the fog & she had an Angreal. Not only that, but it's really the only thing that made sense considering she was hiding them from a Dragkar... unlike when Verin created a storm in TSR for Perin to pull of the rescue at the whitecloak camp.

As far as the scents trick... that's one of the few places in the series where it was very very few against very very many. They were primarily being tracked by scent at that point too. Fighting was not an option. So while they may seem out of place, but they were also very unique situations. That's not to say things were more flexible since his system was still very new at that point though. On the other hand, as I've re-read and re-listened to the series I have found very few inconsistencies.

Really the only major one I've found was when Perin, Mat, and the Sheinaran's came across the Aiel in TGH and the Aeil recognized Verin as a wise one based on her ageless face... which is now known only to affect AS that have taken the Oaths.

It's all well and good to say that certain AS know and keep weaves which they talk about more so in NS but I suppose I'm just disappointed that politics take priority over originality as the books go on.

And I don't see how Rand could have helped moiraine with the fog since he didn't even realize what she was doing. She was just proud of how perfect it was and "from the back of a galloping horse nonetheless"...

Well.. there hasn't really been much of a necessity to throw trackers off with the scent-trick or the fog-trick. It's a bit hard when the guy you're trying to hide goes around with a full guard of Maidens and trumpets and banners to announce him. And I doubt she could create enough fog to hide a couple of hundred thousand Aiel or the Stone of Tear.

I can't remember any indication Rand helped her. I thought the only channeling Rand did in TEotW were restoring Bela's energy, killing (?) Howal Gode, and the things he did at the Eye of the World.

He didn't help Moir, there was no channeling sickness lined up with it.

1. Rejuved Bella -> sick in Baerlon

2. Knocked trolloc off boat with ship's boom -> sick on the ship later, they talk about how the crew think about throwing him off

3. Killed Howal Gode -> sick later when the chick tries to stab them in the stable and Rand can't help Mat

I get the feeling a number of those weaves were Blue Ajah secrets but also have the disappointed feeling that innovative and original uses of the power haven't been featured so much. To be fair though we've had plenty of 'new technology', so to speak, to keep us entertained.

I can't remember any indication Rand helped her. I thought the only channeling Rand did in TEotW were restoring Bela's energy, killing (?) Howal Gode, and the things he did at the Eye of the World.

2. Knocked trolloc off boat with ship's boom -> sick on the ship later, they talk about how the crew think about throwing him off

3. Killed Howal Gode -> sick later when the chick tries to stab them in the stable and Rand can't help Mat

1. Occurred on the same night, so it's possible.

I may have remembered it wrong, but I remember Moiriane saying something about it at the end of TEoTW about Bela and the fog. My memory may be wrong though.

Okay, just to be clear. I'm not asking why they don't throw off their scents or make fog anymore. Those are EXAMPLES. I know why they don't need to do those things- traveling. (Which I think Avi should get credit for, but whatevs). I'm asking why the creative nature behind such tasks seem to go away, or like I said again, more just talking about my disappointment in how Elayne's thrown stuff or wars or leaders or whatever seem to take precedence over creative juices from the author (RJ and BS alike). tEotW is my favorite book because it is the most creative and we lose that while it turns into a normal book with magic thrown in for convenience. Disappointing.

1. Occurred on the same night, so it's possible.

I may have remembered it wrong, but I remember Moiriane saying something about it at the end of TEoTW about Bela and the fog. My memory may be wrong though.

It took a week to get to Bearlon. I THINK bela healing was the first night when Lan sets the hard pace? and the fog wasn't until after the ferry which is half way there.

I think Moir might have said something about the three's ta'veren-ness keeping the Fade from believing the Drahkar when it reported they had gone north and not along the fake trails... that seems vaguely familiar.

Well, it is a different context. how often do other AS have to do things that normal waeves wouldnt be used for? fireballs and lightning are good weapons; wards, mirror of mists, and compusion are good for politicing...etc.

Besides, you always should remember that Moir is different than the rest of the AS. most of her AS life has been spent on the road, acting directly against the shadow, with only Lan for company. Naturally, she would be more adept at weaves that would protect and conceal herself and her warder

1. Hid from the Fade

Chapter 6. Fades can see in the dark just as well as they can during the day. Rand used the light bending trick to hide along the side of the road.

Alot of people miss it but this is the very first time that Rand uses the power.

1. Hid from the Fade

Chapter 6. Fades can see in the dark just as well as they can during the day. Rand used the light bending trick to hide along the side of the road.

Alot of people miss it but this is the very first time that Rand uses the power.

dont think so, rand was hidden in among the trees. remember fades can sense channelling, that would have given them away right away

Fade's ability to sense channeling is limited. When Moiraine uses the trick in the blight she mentions that it uses a small amount of the one power. I always assumed that the reason the fade backed tracked was because he felt an "itch" but was unable to locate the source.

It's unlikely simply because there's no corresponding "allergic reaction." The other instances, as Kael Pyralis pointed out, follow the "allergic reaction" syndrome that Moiraine describes to Nynaeve (decreasing separation time, increasing intensity).

The time difference between hiding from the Fade and healing Bela is extreamly short. The alergic reaction could have been caused by either event since both happened within the span of a day.

I don't have the book, but Rand thinks that the fade looked directly at him.

1. Hid from the Fade

It's a stretch to say they were near each other. The Channeling sickness only lasts an hour or two, so even if they were within 24 hours, he would simply have had another one. Also, subsequent channeling cuts the time between the act and the sickness rather substantially (a week, to a few days, to a day). So 2 acts of channeling, even near each other, should cause 2 sicknesses that are not near each other.

Now you MIGHT be able to argue that since he hadn't had his reaction from hiding from the fade yet when he healed Bella, that there is no additional sickness until he has the first one, but that just doesn't seem to fit to me. And it really messes up the parallelism between Moir's story and the evidence we see in Rand's illness, which is obviously the point of Moir's story.

Also, I get the feeling bending light takes a little more than a "little" power, and with a fade not standing so far away, he should still feel even that. Moir used a "little" when the fade was actually nowhere near her yet. Easier explanation is to chalk it up to Ta'veren-ness

The time difference between hiding from the Fade and healing Bela is extreamly short. The alergic reaction could have been caused by either event since both happened within the span of a day.

I don't have the book, but Rand thinks that the fade looked directly at him.

rand thinks that because he is scared sh!tless and the fade stops across from him, but tree cover allows them to go by undetected

yeah i agree with it just having to do with him being tavaren... and women are stronger with air, and seeing as rand is a man and not knowing that he can even channel yet, it would be more difficult for an accidental weave with air.

Archived