DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Farmers at The Field of Merrilor

Kegsy77

In regards to my theory and the subsequent replies....I do believe that the mighty Jaerom (cant think of the surname!) was bested by a farmer with a quarterstaff which is just like what Mat did with Galad and Gawyn..Im not saying every farmer is a legend in making with a pitchfork or what not but to just dismiss people because of their appearance is foolish at best..Yes they could be as simple as farmers like Almen Bunt but why are they all congregating in one area??... wouldn't they be completely random and come from all points and for them all to go to one place smacks of collaboration of some sorts...If you came from the east would you come all the way over to the west just because you heard that's where the farmers are????...

This one seems pretty obvious to me. It is a combination of random farmers being pulled by Rand's ta'veren pull. All the farmers in TGH that felt a pull to create weapons and begin marching somewhere. Also, the Almen apple farmer guy at the beginning of ToM is a another group. My impression was that random farmers have been marching from all over the world. The Last Battle is a fight for humanity and everybody is needed.

my question would be "how did the farmers know to go to the fields?"

The were being pulled there by Rand's ta'veren pull in the same way Verin was pulled to Murandy when Mat needed her there. The effect is even mentioned specifically.

He looked eastward. Almen felt a pull inside of him. Something was tugging him softly in the direction the stranger had gone.

Apples first, he thought. Then . . . well, then he'd see.

-ToM, Ch 1

The name of the chapter "Apples first" is quite suggestive too. Apples first, and what is the second? There is really no mystery on this one.

There's a nice post nearby asking what the hell Rand's been doing for the last 20+ days before FoM. (before meeting with the Borderlanders, that is). It would be very much like new-Rand to spend 2 weeks travelling from village to village to raise whatever army he can find. Not to have them killed on the spot, he wouldn't do that. But he might consider this important, somehow.

Isn't Tar Valon the Randland equivalent of Avalon (=Isle of Apples)? And he does head there next.

I still think it's Almen Bunt, Renald Fanwar (TGS Prologue), and the other farmers. But that's JMO.

Your opinion counts my friend!!!.... I'm coming around to the sentiment of the farmers being pulled by the DR....I still have a hunch that everything isn't what it seems but with every post my hunch is dissipating!!...:(....

I figure they are just there to represent the regular people. They will choose someone to rep them during the meetings and will throw their lot in with Rand. Perrin represents numerous nations but mainly the Two Rivers. The others are just camps full of soldiers(and AS). They will be the regular folk who know its getting bad and something has to be done. Egwene will be moved by them but still wont budge until Perrin makes his speech that Brandon hinted at.

I agree that they are just regular folk. It may seem boring, but I think the symbolism is important even if they don't do anything surprising in AMOL.

In various points of the recent books, regular people have been packing and moving. I just think this is where some have gathered for the last battle. I think some of the people that Lan picked up along his way to the Gap reflect this as well.

my guess would be those who has been coming down from all over the borderlands and anywhere else, such as the ones from TGS prologue or almen and a bunch of others from ToM. and since they couldn't mix with any other army, they are gathering in one place, and waiting for Rand. and the pattern could have weaved them to the FoM since there is still the question of how they knew where to come.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the release of tGS, Brandon/TOR had a contest/auction to put your name in the book at the Last Battle. As a part of that contest/auction, Brandon said that there would be a group of people fighting tat the Last Battle to represent the Fans of Wheel of Time over the years. He said we would know them when we saw them. I think this group of "everyday folk" who show up to fight alongside the armies of Randland is that group.

With the release of tGS, Brandon/TOR had a contest/auction to put your name in the book at the Last Battle. As a part of that contest/auction, Brandon said that there would be a group of people fighting tat the Last Battle to represent the Fans of Wheel of Time over the years. He said we would know them when we saw them. I think this group of "everyday folk" who show up to fight alongside the armies of Randland is that group.

That is very cool, SamVines. And you know... I do believe that you are right.

Archived