DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Women

AmusableAlias

Wait, what!? Faile's not 16, is she? I thought she was 1-2 years younger than Perrin, who is 22 at the end of TGS. That would put Faile around 20, not 16... (Egwene, for example, is 19, and was 17 during tEoTW, when Rand/Mat/Perrin were all nearly 20)

EDIT: Faile is described as "approximately the same age as Perrin" according to TarValon Library and the WOT Encyclopedia. So she's 21-22.

First, the scene in question happens at least 18 months before TGS.

Second, she is described as too young to marry without her mother's permission.

But fine, if you insist. I'll change my statement. To this:

"Either way, she has some sophisticated tastes, for a 19-year-old."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saldeans are freaks for sure.

Saldean women remind me of the Southpark episode with Mel Gibson, where he kept trying to get the boys to torture him, while he pretended to intend on resisting, despite the fact that he was the one prompting them to torture him.

Or... better yet... they remind me of that scene in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Graile, when one of them (forget which one) was in that tower where all the women kept trying to get him to punish them with spankings. :biggrin:

That made me laugh out loud.

Shh El Oscuro, don´t be calling them freaks just because you don´t understand them :tongue:

At Uncle Butcher: Agreed. I have a clear memory of her being 16 when we first meet her, so that makes her what... 2 years younger then Perrin or more (I must admit the question about how old everyone are is abit confusing). I think I even read a comment from RJ stating that Faile is 16.

That made me laugh out loud.

Shh El Oscuro, don´t be calling them freaks just because you don´t understand them :tongue:

At Uncle Butcher: Agreed. I have a clear memory of her being 16 when we first meet her, so that makes her what... 2 years younger then Perrin or more (I must admit the question about how old everyone are is abit confusing). I think I even read a comment from RJ stating that Faile is 16.

I did not mean "freak" as in "wierdo."

I meant it as in "bow chica bow wow."

You're right, got this from Theoryland.

"East of the Sun Con 17 June 1995, Stockholm, Sweden - Helena Löfgren interview....As an example of this, he puts forth Davram Bashere's reaction to Faile being a Hunter of the Horn. His initial negative response does not come from that Faile is a girl, but that she only is 17 years old. Her gender is irrelevant to the issue."

So 17 when she met up again with her Father. When was that? In Lord of Chaos/A Crown of Swords? Someone should know how much time has passed since then.

I did not mean "freak" as in "wierdo."

I meant it as in "bow chica bow wow."

Lol, that is acceptable. (btw I suck at making those little quotation boxes... sigh)

Well, if you don´t count the Saldaeans, the men sure get pushed around alot. I hope that the men will fight back lol. Since one of WoT themes is about balance, I´m hoping that the men will get back their standing in Randland, Ashaman vs Aes Sedai speaking but also in other areas of the society. Like in the AoL but better (cause I don´t think it was so peachy peachy back then either)

Me thoughts are getting all jumbled up, maybe time to get some sleep.

You're right, got this from Theoryland.

"East of the Sun Con 17 June 1995, Stockholm, Sweden - Helena Löfgren interview....As an example of this, he puts forth Davram Bashere's reaction to Faile being a Hunter of the Horn. His initial negative response does not come from that Faile is a girl, but that she only is 17 years old. Her gender is irrelevant to the issue."

So 17 when she met up again with her Father. When was that? In Lord of Chaos/A Crown of Swords? Someone should know how much time has passed since then.

And it was a wise Swede that asked that question <3 lol.

Perrin mets Faile at 7th of Adar (19 april- ca 400 days since EotW, so I think that´s about a year passed) for the first time. I have no idea when the confrontation happened with her mom and dad and Perring though... maybe 6 months later?

Thanks for that! I had always pictured Faile as older, and that Saldea had an older age limit for marriage. Good to have an RJ quote on that. I guess this places Faile as 19 by TGS, same as Egwene and Elayne.

(and yes, the ages are confusing)

In the first editions of LoC, there was a mention that Faile is the same age as the Two Rivers boy Ewin Fingar, who was only 14 when the series started. That was later changed to "and Ewin not really that much younger than she herself." So 16-17 at the start of the series sounds about right for Faile's age.

Saldaea's married life customs are quite uncomfortable and creepy to me, the whole thing with the screaming, mutual aggression and the implied "asking for a beating" from the wives is definitely not what I would consider a healthy marriage. If it was just faile and her mother, fine, they have the right to be weird, but it certainly seems to be the norm in the whole country judging by Elyas's comments and how shocked Faile was that Perrin couldn't understand her behaviour.

If I was a guy I´d pick Saldaean life... sounds much better then say... Ebou Daran life :rolleyes:

Regarding age I think we tend to forget (atleast I do) that Jordan´s world is reflecting in some ways the 19th century, and wasn´t in common to be married at an younger age, or maybe that was just the country folk or poor people? Rand is what at the end pf tGS...22?

I know I found a great site where they had age for every character imaginable... but I can´t for my life remember the name.

It doesn´t seem that Rand minds having three girls and he loves them. I hope they all stay together and that they all survive lol and then Rand can go visit Avi sometime and then Elayne another time. His trusthworthy Min will always be by his side. Either Rand will die at TG.. or he won´t lol and then he deserves some happiness. (havent read ToM so I dk if he is happy there =P)

Besides the VoG and they buffering of his madness with Love =) I´m hoping we will see something bigger for the 3+1 in AmoL. There has to be another reason Rand has three bonded girls by his side besides AwesomeShieldAgainstMadness and Love.

Though I think Min is a terrific character and I have very much enjoyed her interactions with Rand, I am gonna have to go with Aviendha.

Seeing this form the end of ToM, I think Min's development potential has pretty much played out by now. Whereas Aviendha has grown immensely as a character since she has been away from Rand. I have been looking forward to seeing how she would interact with Rand with her being a wise one, but with Tarmon Gaidon just around the corner and only one book left to resolve a ton of plot hooks, I fear there won't be much space to develop this thread.

Elayne can burn in the pit of doom for all I care.

OK, Logains Pet, now about your posting name... :biggrin:

randsc :tongue: What about my name?

b9anders: I haven´t read the whole of ToM but I read bits and pieces on amazon lol. And the little bits I saw showed growth in Avi. If that´s not the same for Elayne or Min that´s too bad. But I still can´t shake of the feeling that if there was only one girl for Rand then the Wheel meant it to be Min. I really dk why I like her so much.. it´s odd really.

b9anders: I haven´t read the whole of ToM but I read bits and pieces on amazon lol. And the little bits I saw showed growth in Avi. If that´s not the same for Elayne or Min that´s too bad. But I still can´t shake of the feeling that if there was only one girl for Rand then the Wheel meant it to be Min. I really dk why I like her so much.. it´s odd really.

Eh, it's not too odd IMO. Min is one of the most genuine and compassionate characters in the series. Not much to dislike about her :biggrin: .

True :smile: She is compassionate. Maybe that´s why I like her so much. I want her to live!

She and Rand can live somewhere on a farm afterwards and Rand can grow Zen apples and Min can make lovely applepie. =) They would be such a homey couple.

Aviendha I didn't like much at first, but she grew on me. I liked Elayne at first, she seemed spoiled but in a sympathetic way, and like someone who'd be a good person if given power. She's gone downhill a little, but I'm not an Elayne hater.

If I were Rand, though, I would definitely pick Min. I am biased, though.

Okay, let me ask you this. What do you have to say about Min pretending that she wears tight pants because she's like one of the boys (when it's quite clear she knows she looks cute in them)? Endearing or hypocritical (or both)?

What made you think that Min was not a character on her own? Min isn't a hooker, so why would you think her so? Sheen and Rand do share insanity. lol

Lol you. I know Min isn´t a hooker. I´ve just read some threads on this forum that expressed that view of Min. They went something like this. Elayne :elayne: has her queendom to rule and Avi :avi: has some grand destiny to fulfill for the Aiel and she is a Wise One... But Min doesn´t have something outside of herself cause the viewings she sees are meant to happen, yada yada, she is only there as a desired object for Rand and therefor is meh. I disagree though. She was there as an anchor to his humanity and also I think her and Rands relationship was the most realistic one.

Aliriel: I highly doubt Elayne likes it rough. She is too stuck-up for that. I think Min would like it though lol. And Avi could dominate Rand. Elayne could be Rands footstool or something. Or his damane! :seanchan:

lol I was just curious as to where the Min thing came from. I think your absolutely right about Rand and Min having the most realistic relationship. I think that a few users project themselves in the place of some of the characters, probably the one's they identify most with, and shows their hopes for how the characters end up

Smart. It's still more practical clothing-wise than skirts, yet she wears them because she knows it makes her look good. Two birds, one stone.

And she knows Rand enjoys watching her walk in them plus the heeled boots.

Archived