DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand pouring water on sand

udpaco13

"A sword that isn't a sword, a golden crown of laurel leaves, a beggars staff, you pouring water onto sand, a bloody hand and white hot iron, three women standing over a funeral bier, with you in it."

This is the first viewing Min shares with the reader about Rand. I have been lurking on these boards since soon after the release of KoD. I do not think I have ever heard this viewing discussed at all. All the others have been obviously fulfilled, or analyzed to death.

I still don’t believe the Beggars staff was when he was in Ebu Dar at the end of TGS. I do not even remember him having a staff in that sceen, and if he did I don’t think he did much with it.

The bloody hand I am still not convinced has happened either. When Rand got his hand blown off there was no hand left. It’s hard to have a bloody hand with no hand. A bloody stump maybe. The white hot iron could symbolize the fire ball that blew up but that’s a bit weak as well.

So the point of my rant is this: Do we have any idea when or why Rand would be pouring water onto sand? Has this happened and I have just missed it?

This does not seem like a custom we have heard of from any nation or time period. I was just re-reading book 1 and this viewing seemed odd to me.

Rand started the rain shortly before going to Rhuidean. It finished when he returned.

Rhuidean, the water I take came from underneath, not from above. Pouring I count as from above.

Sure, either/or, I'm not picky :biggrin: he brought water to the waste in either case

The bloody hand I am still not convinced has happened either. When Rand got his hand blown off there was no hand left. It’s hard to have a bloody hand with no hand. A bloody stump maybe.

I'm not sure if this is discussed, but couldn't bloody hand mean also the Band of the Red Hand? after all, a red hand could easily be thought as bloody hand if it is a vision.

The bloody hand I am still not convinced has happened either. When Rand got his hand blown off there was no hand left. It’s hard to have a bloody hand with no hand. A bloody stump maybe.

I'm not sure if this is discussed, but couldn't bloody hand mean also the Band of the Red Hand? after all, a red hand could easily be thought as bloody hand if it is a vision.

And the 'white-hot iron' may symbolise Perrin.

For the 'water on sand', see this Aiel prophecy from (TSR34)

"He shall spill out the blood of those who call themselves Aiel as water on sand, and he shall break them as dried twigs, yet the remnant of a remnant shall he save, and they shall live."

I think that when Egwene and Elayne went to talk to Rand in TSR, Egwene tried to heal Rand's unhealing wound in his side, and said that the wound would soak up power like pouring water on sand. Any chance that might be relevant?

For the 'water on sand', see this Aiel prophecy from (TSR34)

"He shall spill out the blood of those who call themselves Aiel as water on sand, and he shall break them as dried twigs, yet the remnant of a remnant shall he save, and they shall live."

I agree with this. Notice also the "call themselves Aiel" part. Randland day Aiel truly aren't Aiel. The true Aiel will be those who follow Aviendha and the Way of the Leaf. The rest, that fight, will die as per the Aiel prophecy in the Last Battle spilling their blood as water on sand.

Rand started the rain shortly before going to Rhuidean. It finished when he returned.

Rhuidean, the water I take came from underneath, not from above. Pouring I count as from above.

Typically I might agree, but the water at Rhuidean seems more significant to me than the rain at Alcair Dal, because the rain didn't have any lasting or important effect. The water at Rhuidean has changed the Waste completely. Of course, the event at Alcair Dal was more important, but the water on sand was the least of it - just a stunt to get their attention and keep them from spilling each other's blood like water on sand. And as for that prophecy, I think it is just meant as a poetic way of saying...something. That the land thirsts for their blood? That a lot of blood will be spilled? It's hard to connect it to Min's viewing in any way that makes sense.

In retrospect, I wonder if Rand was only able to sense the water underneath Rhuidean because he was one with the land. Everyone took it for granted that it was just a channeling thing, like delving, but maybe not.

Typically I might agree, but the water at Rhuidean seems more significant to me than the rain at Alcair Dal, because the rain didn't have any lasting or important effect. The water at Rhuidean has changed the Waste completely. Of course, the event at Alcair Dal was more important, but the water on sand was the least of it - just a stunt to get their attention and keep them from spilling each other's blood like water on sand. And as for that prophecy, I think it is just meant as a poetic way of saying...something. That the land thirsts for their blood? That a lot of blood will be spilled? It's hard to connect it to Min's viewing in any way that makes sense.

In retrospect, I wonder if Rand was only able to sense the water underneath Rhuidean because he was one with the land. Everyone took it for granted that it was just a channeling thing, like delving, but maybe not.

Egwene could tell iron ore underground when she was damane and the Seanchan knew of this skill (or is it a Talent?). either way, apparently such ability is not unique to Rand.

Yes, but he gave the impression that the water was very deep. I was mainly going along the lines of thinking that other channelers could bring up water in other places in the Waste. Which of course made me wonder if that was too easy. Of course, knowing WoT, Rand just won't bother to tell anyone how to do it. :biggrin:

I agree. I think "pouring water on sand" isn't about having a plant pouring device, but rather about bringing a plentiful environment to a a barren environment. Actually I think that during the building of the Hoover Damn, it was said almost exactly that way for that reason. "We will bring water to desert, and bounty to what is barren." I might be thinking of the grand coolee.

Wow, never thought of that possible meaning (the two other Ta'veren he must rely on). Never saw it in the FAQ or elsewhere either.

I was under the impression that it was him cleansing the taint.

There a way to filter water by poring it though sand And that a very basic idea of what he did.

Crown of Sword's cover gives the impression that Shadar Logoth has stone ground; and the area around it I guess is dirt or grass since forests seldom occur on sand.

Archived