DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene al'Vere = Latra Posae reborn

Cat-Sister

Hold it. From all of these arguments about Egwene, it sounds like everyone thinks Rand actually tried to communicate with Egwene what his plans were and asked her for some sort of help or advice or something. Oh wait, he didn't. So where are the Rand is a diva arguments? He has been about as stubborn as Egwene the whole time. Sorry Egwene, I have to do so much stuff, I can't talk to you about why I think we need to break the seals.

Additionally, anger at Egwene not having a plan is misplaced. She plans to unite the White Tower so they can effectively oppose the Dark One instead of having all of the Aes Sedai nipping at one another. Complaining about Egwene not having a plan while also complaining about her involvement in political games is short sighted. The politcal games are her plan to have an effective resistance to the Dark One. Rand on the other hand has let a darkfriend control the Black Tower and convert nearly all male channelers. BRAVO RAND! BOO EGWENE!

Anyway, I don't know if Egwene is the reincarnated Latra, but the parallels are there. She could be, though hints of that are very sparse.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When has Egwene opposed Rand because he does not have a plan to seal the DO's prison? How would she even know that he apparently has no plan? From what I read she seemed to be simply against breaking the seals at all. In fact she says to Egwene and Nynaeve that surely Rand should be able to seal the DO away without breaking the seals (no idea what she is basing that belief on). That seems to make it pretty clear that she opposes the breaking of the seals plain and simple.

Additionally, anger at Egwene not having a plan is misplaced. She plans to unite the White Tower so they can effectively oppose the Dark One instead of having all of the Aes Sedai nipping at one another. Complaining about Egwene not having a plan while also complaining about her involvement in political games is short sighted. The politcal games are her plan to have an effective resistance to the Dark One.

It may be worth pointing out, in Egwene's favor, that despite her lack of apparent preparations for the last battle, she is preparing for the aftermath of the battle. Elayne also. Lost in the din of accusations against these two for their power-hungriness is the fact that the two of them are helping to establish some kind of stability and order that will outlast Tarmon'Gaidon. I'm not suggesting that Egwene doesn't need become self-reflective, less proud, and start thinking more about how to prepare the Aes Sedai for the Last Battle -- she desperately needs to do all of these things. But what she has done in solidifying the Tower and tying it to powers outside Tar Valon is important for the world that survives the last confrontation between Rand and the Dark One.

Hold it. From all of these arguments about Egwene, it sounds like everyone thinks Rand actually tried to communicate with Egwene what his plans were and asked her for some sort of help or advice or something. Oh wait, he didn't. So where are the Rand is a diva arguments? He has been about as stubborn as Egwene the whole time. Sorry Egwene, I have to do so much stuff, I can't talk to you about why I think we need to break the seals.

Additionally, anger at Egwene not having a plan is misplaced. She plans to unite the White Tower so they can effectively oppose the Dark One instead of having all of the Aes Sedai nipping at one another. Complaining about Egwene not having a plan while also complaining about her involvement in political games is short sighted. The politcal games are her plan to have an effective resistance to the Dark One. Rand on the other hand has let a darkfriend control the Black Tower and convert nearly all male channelers. BRAVO RAND! BOO EGWENE!

Anyway, I don't know if Egwene is the reincarnated Latra, but the parallels are there. She could be, though hints of that are very sparse.

Egwene has only the white tower to deal with. Rand has the rest of the world. The comparison does not seem very fair. Though I agree he should have kept a better watch on the black tower. I think "nearly all male channelers" is a little too much though.

It's true that Rand obviously wanted Egwene to act as she did. That does not mean that Egwene should react as she is especially since she should know later on thanks to Nynaeve, Elayne, and the wise ones that Rand is not (or is no longer) mad. Her opposition seems to be more like a gut reaction to a admittedly very bad sounding idea (breaking the seals). It would be nice if she could get past that gut reaction though, and consider that Rand may know something that she does not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel that people have just gone way off topic from the get-go...

Whoever did or didn't have a plan really doesn't have anything to do with Egwene being Latra reborn...

I'm sure Lews Therin did and didn't have plans for a bunch of things in life (he was not young in the end like Rand)...and I am sure some were good and some were bad...and the same would likely hold true for Latra/Egwene...

One reason I believe Egwene may be Latra simply has to do with the fact that in current Randland Egwene (arguably forced to this point by the pattern,) heads the female Aes Sedai, and Rand (again forced by the pattern) heads the male "Aes Sedai" the Asha'man. In the Aol the pattern left off with Lew Therin heading the male channelers/hundred companions, and Latra having (if not leadership) a huge sway over the female channelers (or else they would not ALL have agreed with her about the seals.)...both of them died in the breaking at some point...now flash to the current, where their threads (if Egwene is Latra) have seemingly picked up where they left off in a manner of speaking, to potentially lead their factions (hopefully) in their second chance of sealing the bore...is it just CHANCE that Egwene AND Rand were forced to this point at such a young age...or is it that both of them are old souls with business to finish (hopefully this time together) ??

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel that people have just gone way off topic from the get-go...

Whoever did or didn't have a plan really doesn't have anything to do with Egwene being Latra reborn...

I'm sure Lews Therin did and didn't have plans for a bunch of things in life (he was not young in the end like Rand)...and I am sure some were good and some were bad...and the same would likely hold true for Latra/Egwene...

One reason I believe Egwene may be Latra simply has to do with the fact that in current Randland Egwene (arguably forced to this point by the pattern,) heads the female Aes Sedai, and Rand (again forced by the pattern) heads the male "Aes Sedai" the Asha'man. In the Aol the pattern left off with Lew Therin heading the male channelers/hundred companions, and Latra having (if not leadership) a huge sway over the female channelers (or else they would not ALL have agreed with her about the seals.)...both of them died in the breaking at some point...now flash to the current, where their threads (if Egwene is Latra) have seemingly picked up where they left off in a manner of speaking, to potentially lead their factions (hopefully) in their second chance of sealing the bore...is it just CHANCE that Egwene AND Rand were forced to this point at such a young age...or is it that both of them are old souls with business to finish (hopefully this time together) ??

The situation does seem rather similar and I suppose that Egwene could be LPD reborn. The problem I see is that LTT was originally the leader of all channelers both male and female, and of all the forces of the light really. Things started to go bad when men and women split and LTT ended up leading only the male channelers. I don't think that the dragon is meant to lead just male channelers. And I think what is hindering the light so far is that the aes sedai think of Rand more as a man than as the champion of the light.

The situation does seem rather similar and I suppose that Egwene could be LPD reborn. The problem I see is that LTT was originally the leader of all channelers both male and female, and of all the forces of the light really. Things started to go bad when men and women split and LTT ended up leading only the male channelers. I don't think that the dragon is meant to lead just male channelers. And I think what is hindering the light so far is that the aes sedai think of Rand more as a man than as the champion of the light.

I agree with you, maybe this is an opportunity for rand/LTT and Egwene/LPD to either make or break the pattern, and hopefully use their influence over the male/female channelers to work together again like they did up until the point where they split to lead their own factions...

(The bore WAS opened by saidin AND saidar...it obv would need both to be fixed)

I agree with you, maybe this is an opportunity for rand/LTT and Egwene/LPD to either make or break the pattern, and hopefully use their influence over the male/female channelers to work together again like they did up until the point where they split to lead their own factions...

(The bore WAS opened by saidin AND saidar...it obv would need both to be fixed)

Right, though there must be another element than just saidin and saidar, because I think it was said that both would have been tainted had both been used in the manner LTT planned. That other element seems to be what Rand (or more precisely Min) is searching for at the moment.

In any case hopefully everyone will shut up and listen to each other at the FoM, because things just are not going to work out otherwise.

hmmm I know we're off topic but is there a thread discussing this somewhere? How the bore will be sealed I mean? Maybe since the creator originally had the DO sealed in his prison 'naturally" the song may have something to do with this also...it has been shown in the books that the dragon has an effect on the prosperity of the land(the land is one with the dragon business,) as well as the DO touching the world and "blighting" it...perhaps this is an aspect that needs to be addressed when sealing up the bore also, perhaps through Song/Singing along with channelling...I dunno tho

hmmm I know we're off topic but is there a thread discussing this somewhere? How the bore will be sealed I mean? Maybe since the creator originally had the DO sealed in his prison 'naturally" the song may have something to do with this also...it has been shown in the books that the dragon has an effect on the prosperity of the land(the land is one with the dragon business,) as well as the DO touching the world and "blighting" it...perhaps this is an aspect that needs to be addressed when sealing up the bore also, perhaps through Song/Singing along with channelling...I dunno tho

I think there definitely has to be something other than channeling to seal the bore. What it is though I have no idea. There are a lot of possibilities: the song, the three tavereen, etc...

Sooo many threads have covered sealing the Bore, including one I started, but I think the most recent one is this one: The ending

Lews Therin Telamon had a plan. It worked. It also failed horribly. Latra Posae Decum had a plan.

Rand has a plan. We don't know if it will work. It might fail horribly. Egwene doesn't have a plan.

That's basically it. LPD denying LTT is probably the single greatest thing that has happened in the WoT world.

However, I will address the Egwene basing. Rand is proposing breaking the Seals and giving the Dark One the same amount of power he had in the Age of Legends (and we all know how that went). You don't think that warrants a discussion about it, as Egwene wants? Rand does not know what to do after. He's going to partly release the dark god and then what?

Egwene was right in opposing Rand until he comes up with a more thorough plan and Rand was right in using Egwene to gather up the leaders of the world and the opposition.

She isn't proposing a way to convince rand of finding a better way. If she were, she would be talking with all the other sisters, find everyone with a "talent", a spec of power, a bit of "affinity"(as I say it) for certain weaves, like androl (however you spell it.) she would be promoting everyone to experiment with every aspect of the power. Instead, she's politicing.

What Egwene says, explicitly, is that she has to oppose rand in his plan. That entire attitude is all over the place in TWoT, with snide women always knowing better. "The White Tower Must Guide The Dragon Reborn." "HEY! Little girl without a braid? How about you take care of your own dysfunctional house a little bit first before you lecture someone 500 years old?/however many thousands of years old?" But NOPE! The women never do that.

Elaynes first concern? sure she hugs Tom and Matt, then she proves that she is NOT her mother by forgiving Tom, then she has to get her dragons, and time with her terangreal. (I really didn't mind that exchange.) Then she threatens Perrin, who she saw carrying the Dragon Banner at Falme, but EH! Lets threaten him so she can secure her power.

Egwene: I'm Amyrlin *Stomps foot*

Fortuona: I'm Empress *makes hand gesture telling Selucia to stomp foot.*

Nynaeve: *sniff* (though since she's been getting some Lan Meat, she has managed to rehabilitate herself.)

Min: I'm torn, too insouciant, but at least RJ was able to find a more practical use for her than sitting on rands lap.

It goes on. I'm glad rand is starting to get a hold of cadsuane, but doing to her what I suggest he do to egwene, "You may call me Rand Sedai."

We have to remember that the seals weren't always there. During the AOL, DO's prison was open for over 100 years and he didn't break free or anything D:

So he should have some time to set things right even if things go awry after the breaking.

The prison wasn't open. It was whole. What Lanfear and Beidomon did was to make a breach ("the Bore") into the prison. The seals keep the hole in the prison closed.

Yeah, but it took like 100 years from drilling of the bore to the sealing of the bore.

Egwene: I'm Amyrlin *Stomps foot*

Fortuona: I'm Empress *makes hand gesture telling Selucia to stomp foot.*

ROFL.

On topic - I don't think Egwene is Latra reborn. The evidence in favour of the reborn theory is really thin. So both were stubborn and refused to admit a man knew better than them - this applies to the vast majority of the female characters in the series. And it will be too repetitive if for every turning of the Wheel there are the same people who get to be into all key positions in the battle between the Light's and the DO's forces. One Dragon is enough.

I also havent seen any indication of female channelers (or any channelers aside from LTT for that matter) being reborn, just heroes of the horn.
Everyone is reborn. Only the Heroes are reborn for a specific purpose, though. Anyone else could be a great hero in one life, and a baker in the next, and so on. That said, there is absolutely nothing beyond the most superficial characteristics to say Elayne is Ilyena, Egwene is Latra Posae Decume, Valan Luca is that Aiel called Luca that appeared in a flashback, Mat and Tuon are Aemon and Eldrene, and any other crazy, crackpot, this-person-is-that-person-reborn theories that crop up that I didn't mention.

As far as dealing with the threat at hand Egwene dosn't know that Rand hasn't got a plan
Well, he as good as told her he didn't, that's quite a good indication. She has no reason to believe that Rand actually has a plan - and nor do we.

I see above that some people think that Latra is better than Egwene, because Latra had a plan, whereas Egwene does not. And it is true that it is inexcusable for Egwene to not be devoting the resources at her disposal, in the form of the Browns and Whites, to come up with a plan if she opposes Rand's.

But what Latra did was worse. You could argue that her initial plan was every bit as dangerous as LTT's, but that's not the issue. We know that her plan originally prevailed, and LTT accepted that. We also know that the access keys were then lost, that the sa'angreal themselves were threatened, and likely to be lost at any time. And still, Latra would not budge.

Her plan had failed. They did not have the tools they needed to complete it, and faced imminent, total defeat. There was absolutely NO OTHER OPTION to LTT's plan. And still, Latra refused to go along.

And in doing so stopped all the women channelers from going crazy. What a monster.

She isn't proposing a way to convince rand of finding a better way. If she were, she would be talking with all the other sisters, find everyone with a "talent", a spec of power, a bit of "affinity"(as I say it) for certain weaves, like androl (however you spell it.) she would be promoting everyone to experiment with every aspect of the power. Instead, she's politicing.

What Egwene says, explicitly, is that she has to oppose rand in his plan. That entire attitude is all over the place in TWoT, with snide women always knowing better. "The White Tower Must Guide The Dragon Reborn." "HEY! Little girl without a braid? How about you take care of your own dysfunctional house a little bit first before you lecture someone 500 years old?/however many thousands of years old?" But NOPE! The women never do that.

Elaynes first concern? sure she hugs Tom and Matt, then she proves that she is NOT her mother by forgiving Tom, then she has to get her dragons, and time with her terangreal. (I really didn't mind that exchange.) Then she threatens Perrin, who she saw carrying the Dragon Banner at Falme, but EH! Lets threaten him so she can secure her power.

People keep bringing up Egwene and Elayne's politicking, but they don't really have much choice about that, Egwene in particular. If she doesn't play politics, she gets outmanoeuvred and becomes a powerless puppet, and thus can't do anything to help at TG beyond show up by herself. Same with Elayne - one woman vs Queen of large and populous nation with cannons, (probably) the greatest general in the world, and no rebellious provinces, and the Kin - which would you rather showed up to support you at TG? And it makes a lot of sense to plan for afterwards as well - the world will still exist (if they win), and any ruler who just shrugged and said they hoped things would turn out for the best would be rather negligent. True, Egwene isn't perfect, and she probably could be doing more than we've seen her do to plan for TG, but her engaging in politics is not a bad idea, quite the reverse.

And in doing so stopped all the women channelers from going crazy. What a monster.

Wasn't it said that if LTT had had female help in sealing, everything would have worked out fine. But since no females took part in it, his plan failed and sealing didn't work out perfectly.

So had women helped LTT out back in the day, we'd have no books to read about The Dragon Reborn.

Wasn't it said that if LTT had had female help in sealing, everything would have worked out fine. But since no females took part in it, his plan failed and sealing didn't work out perfectly.

So had women helped LTT out back in the day, we'd have no books to read about The Dragon Reborn.

That's what LTT believes. RJ has said that if Saidar had been used during LTT's strike, it would have been tainted as well.

That's what LTT believes. RJ has said that if Saidar had been used during LTT's strike, it would have been tainted as well.

Ah, I see. I've never seen that quote by RJ.

But then again, I don't read many quotes by RJ/BS. Just the ones I see posted here on the forums. xD

I also havent seen any indication of female channelers (or any channelers aside from LTT for that matter) being reborn, just heroes of the horn.
Everyone is reborn. Only the Heroes are reborn for a specific purpose, though. Anyone else could be a great hero in one life, and a baker in the next, and so on. That said, there is absolutely nothing beyond the most superficial characteristics to say Elayne is Ilyena, Egwene is Latra Posae Decume, Valan Luca is that Aiel called Luca that appeared in a flashback, Mat and Tuon are Aemon and Eldrene, and any other crazy, crackpot, this-person-is-that-person-reborn theories that crop up that I didn't mention.

As far as dealing with the threat at hand Egwene dosn't know that Rand hasn't got a plan
Well, he as good as told her he didn't, that's quite a good indication. She has no reason to believe that Rand actually has a plan - and nor do we.

I see above that some people think that Latra is better than Egwene, because Latra had a plan, whereas Egwene does not. And it is true that it is inexcusable for Egwene to not be devoting the resources at her disposal, in the form of the Browns and Whites, to come up with a plan if she opposes Rand's.

But what Latra did was worse. You could argue that her initial plan was every bit as dangerous as LTT's, but that's not the issue. We know that her plan originally prevailed, and LTT accepted that. We also know that the access keys were then lost, that the sa'angreal themselves were threatened, and likely to be lost at any time. And still, Latra would not budge.

Her plan had failed. They did not have the tools they needed to complete it, and faced imminent, total defeat. There was absolutely NO OTHER OPTION to LTT's plan. And still, Latra refused to go along.

People keep bringing up Egwene and Elayne's politicking, but they don't really have much choice about that, Egwene in particular. If she doesn't play politics, she gets outmanoeuvred and becomes a powerless puppet, and thus can't do anything to help at TG beyond show up by herself. Same with Elayne - one woman vs Queen of large and populous nation with cannons, (probably) the greatest general in the world, and no rebellious provinces, and the Kin - which would you rather showed up to support you at TG? And it makes a lot of sense to plan for afterwards as well - the world will still exist (if they win), and any ruler who just shrugged and said they hoped things would turn out for the best would be rather negligent. True, Egwene isn't perfect, and she probably could be doing more than we've seen her do to plan for TG, but her engaging in politics is not a bad idea, quite the reverse.

When does he ever indicate that he does not have a plan? He told her he does not have all the answers yet but that's it. Also Egwene told Elayne and Nynaeve that Rand shsould be able to reseal the DO without breaking the seals. That seems to make it pretty clear that she does not want the seals broken, plan or no plan.

True it ends up being a very good thing that she opposed LTT on this. But that does not mean that she was right to do it. No one foresaw the taint or even the risk of it. The main risk in LTT's plan was that it could tear open the bore completely. That's quite risky true, but with no other option left and the shadow on the verge of victory you go with what you have. It's sort of ironic when you consider that Demandred always considered LTT to be overcautious.

The politicking never bothered me much but it would have been nice to see them planning for TG a little more and a little less for after TG. It sort of felt like they were just expecting Rand to take care of everything. Elayne was annoying in how she treated Perrin though.

Because Latra knew beforehand that Saidin would be tainted, right? Nobody knew that LTT's plan would result in the taint, so I don't see why people keep bringing this point up when it doesn't mean anything except for a happy coincidence.

LTT's plan was, by this point, the ONLY option left. The Access Keys had been lost and there was no hope of recovering them. Latra Posae was correct when she said LTT's plan was reckless. However, this does not excuse her from wilfully burying her head in the sand and opposing LTT out of sheer stubbornness when his plan was the only option available to the Light.

Because Latra knew beforehand that Saidin would be tainted, right? Nobody knew that LTT's plan would result in the taint, so I don't see why people keep bringing this point up when it doesn't mean anything except for a happy coincidence.

LTT's plan was, by this point, the ONLY option left. The Access Keys had been lost and there was no hope of recovering them. Latra Posae was correct when she said LTT's plan was reckless. However, this does not excuse her from wilfully burying her head in the sand and opposing LTT out of sheer stubbornness when his plan was the only option available to the Light.

Exactly. For all we know, Latra's plan would have been worse. But we'll never know, because she lost the means to carry out her plan. And came up with no new plan, and still refused to support LTT's plan. She was hiding in her closet, waiting for the Dark One to come and take her.

Logain is Guaire Amalasan! :biggrin:

When does he ever indicate that he does not have a plan? He told her he does not have all the answers yet but that's it.

That's what he told Egwene. This is what he said to Min:

He looked at her, and those unfathomable eyes seemed to draw her in. "I need you, Min."

"You have me. Stupid looby."

"Callandor," he said. "It plays a part in this. You have to find out how. I cannot seal the Bore the way I tried last time. I'm missing something, something vital. Find it for me."

"I will, Rand." A cold shiver ran through her. "I promise."

"I trust you."

That's his plan.

True it ends up being a very good thing that she opposed LTT on this. But that does not mean that she was right to do it.

Yes, it does. The plan was too dangerous for many obvious reasons. And there are many obvious reasons not to break the seals.

Exactly. For all we know, Latra's plan would have been worse. But we'll never know, because she lost the means to carry out her plan. And came up with no new plan, and still refused to support LTT's plan. She was hiding in her closet, waiting for the Dark One to come and take her.

Having once been in a command position, let me respond to this comment.

"How convenient that you aren't to blame."

Archived