DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tam

I Am The Storm

I'm sorry when I write bow stave I meant that in the sense of martial arts, where the staff is known as a bow. But then I realized that I misspelled it, it should be spelled Bo. Sorry bought that.

And as far as Hamar training warders and thus should be a blademaster is Lan was going to teach Rand to be, its not the same. The thing is that Warder nor the tower gaurd are in training to become blade masters. They are only in training to learn how to weild the weapon, protect the tower, and protect the Aes Sedai. Thus is that is their only purpose then it would not require a blademaster to teach them. For instance Gareth Bryne is not a blade master but he taught Gawyn and Galad the sword before they went to the Tower and he was only teaching them how to weild the weapon. It isn't the same for Rand. He has a heron marked blade and Lan simply tells him that he could make him worthy of it. There is a difference between the two.

I think in some sense, when Rand finally severed his notion that Tam was his real father, he also in a way severed being "Rand al'Thor" and became more of "The Dragon". There are a lot of times throughout the series when this notion of being "Rand al'Thor" vs. "The Dragon Reborn" are almost distinctly different people. The Rand we know in KoD is very much "The Dragon Reborn" and not so much "Rand al'Thor". Does that make any sense? lol...

So yea... I think Tam is a big connection back to being "Rand al'Thor". I dunno if thats the direction things will head though... but I would really like to see Tam in the Last Battle. I mean, he's GOTTA be there!

• 1 month later...

I know it's been said many times, but DAMN I want to see Rand head back to the Two Rivers just once, and get it over with. I mean, I loved reading about Perrin going back, but they STILL don't know (unless, by this point, Bode has written home about it) about Rand being the Dragon, and Tam doesn't know a damn thing. A Tam and Rand meeting is due, as well as the Two Rivers with Rand and Mat. Hope RJ fits that into AMoL...

Firstly, Tam hasn't been in much of the series, and most of it, except in the first book, was in assistance of Perrin. As such, he would probably not play a major role in Rand's or Mat's military. It could be simply due to him not wanting to force himself to be so committed or perhaps that it would be seen as biasness on Mat or Rand's part.

However, being Rand's sort of foster father, Tam has close ties with him. Tam would probably be shocked by the Rand's change in attitude, but would probably be used willingly or unwillingly by Cadsuane for Rand's emotional freedom.

Lastly, Rand returning to the Two Rivers is unlikely. In his mind, Perrin has already gone to the Two Rivers, and that would be safer for his hometown than if he would go personally. Besides, if he really wanted to go, he could have gone earlier, but now he has much to do regarding preparation for TG and has shown no sign of homesickness, if I remember correctly.

Rand hasn't shown homesickness in the most recent books, but he has hardly been in them at all. The last time that he thought of the Two Rivers (that I remember) he did feel homesick for the farm and for Tam, but he has stayed away because he feels it is safer for them that way.

...and Tam doesn't know a damn thing.

Eh, have you read KoD yet? ;) I also think a meeting between them is long overdue, and since Tam is with Perrin (who is, in turn, about to go rejoin Rand) I do think the meeting will occur. It's not going to feel realistic to me if it doesn't. I can see Rand trying to avoid Tam at first, just as he tried to avoid Aviendha and Elayne, but I don't think it'll work for long. Tam is the only person who is close to Rand who has not seen him since he left the Two Rivers, so I think that he is the one person who has the most chance of making Rand remember the strong, brave farmboy he has buried deep inside. He may not go all the way to making Rand "remember laughter and tears" (I think that Moiraine's return will spark that, and I don't think that's what Cadsuane is going to teach Rand and the Asha'man, whatever her intentions are), but Tam can still be of help, and should be more than willing to do whatever he can.

Archived