DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cuendillar Item

EvilSocrates

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gaebryal

Making chainmail armore/plating etc would of course be possible, its made from iron, is maleable, so it would be a simple matter to make 10,000 thin iron rings, then lace 1 at a time, holding it so that it touches no other ring then turning it. also there are different forms of cuendillar, for instance the domination band, the male a'dam was made of cuendilar, and yet was flexible.

the problem i see with cuendillar armor is that in the current age, its too new, itll take time before they can spare channelers to start making armor. In the age of legend, it wasnt nearly as useful, the armies of the DO were more likely to be humans with shocklances, or channelers, who could take out entire sections of the army, than they were to be trollocs, who were fewer in numbers then since it had only been a few years since their creation. its kind of like, what good is a cuendillar sheld when you get hit with a grenade and the shockwave turns your insides to jello. In the war of power the AS probably spent their time making things like shocklances, dreamspikes etc and other ter'angreal to help their side

Either way, a paper thin unbreakable shield, breastplate and helmet would be my choices.....oh and cod piece of course :biggrin:

Shields are out of the question, as long as it is made by an Aes Sedai (the oaths).

A shield is more or less a tool for both defense and offense.

Anyways, assigning how many AS to make how many sets of armor?

Giving pieces to a couple of generals etc. would not be a bad idea. But as we all know, generals usually do not prefer to be at the frontline.

So, who would get the armor? Lan ? :tongue:

I don't see that Rand would need it, as he is fighting the DO and shit.

Mat does not use armor anyways, lucky as he is, we can see where that brought him. Pity tho, if he is killed by an arrow to the chest.

Perrin might be the only one of the three in need of this, but who knows, he might be in T'A'R at the time of the LB...

So, the AS could make as many sets of armor as they managed before the LB. How many soldiers would get this? 1/15? 1/50? Less? Would it really make a difference?

Edit; Bad phrasing

Either way, a paper thin unbreakable shield, breastplate and helmet would be my choices.....oh and cod piece of course :biggrin:

Shields are out of the question, as long as it is made by an Aes Sedai (the oaths).

A shield is more or less a tool for both defense and offense.

Anyways, assigning how many AS to make how many sets of armor?

Giving pieces to a couple of generals etc. would not be a bad idea. But as we all know, generals usually do not prefer to be at the frontline.

So, who would get the armor? Lan ? :tongue:

I don't see that Rand would need it, as he is fighting the DO and shit.

Mat does not use armor anyways, lucky as he is, we can see where that brought him. Pity tho, if he is killed by an arrow to the chest.

Perrin might be the only one of the three in need of this, but who knows, he might be in T'A'R at the time of the LB...

So, the AS could make as many sets of armor as they managed before the LB. How many soldiers would get this? 1/15? 1/50? Less? Would it really matter?

How about their Warders, at the very least?

How about their Warders, at the very least?

Good point.

I'm not at all against the idea of cuendillar armor, if I had been in their place, I'd sure want it.

To give the Warders cuendillar armor would be a smart move. And ofc other important persons, just for safety, I would not like to meet Gawyn with the rings, the warder bond, and this kind of armor lol :tongue:

But for a whole army, I think not.

Cuendillar armor in chain-mail form; best way to do that would be to make a bunch of separate cuendillar rings then have rings of a different material going through those rings.

Plates instead of rings, that might be better; though there would need to be non-cuendillar strings holding the plates together.

Cloak-shaped might provide the most protection and might be quickest made. And the soldier might be able to slip into & out of it.

Cuendillar armor in chain-mail form; best way to do that would be to make a bunch of separate cuendillar rings then have rings of a different material going through those rings.

Plates instead of rings, that might be better; though there would need to be non-cuendillar strings holding the plates together.

Cloak-shaped might provide the most protection and might be quickest made. And the soldier might be able to slip into & out of it.

That would be useless because you'd end up with a high % of weak rings. The chain mail will break in those areas. It's like making a chain out of two different materials. The weakest link is still the max strength of this chain.

Chain mail is absolutely a no go from my perspective.

1. Some think you can put in a link and have it not touch the 3-4 other rings it's linked too. I say that's wishful thinking. But lets say someone manages it by being very careful and patient it still takes that much longer to make a single chain mail piece and then if by accident at any point the ring you are transforming is touching an other ring you just destroyed weeks worth of work.

2. You need one channeler involved in the whole process.

With scale armor or banded armor you can have your channeler transform the individual pieces whenever he is free. Just have a batch of pieces ready and he can do it. And instead of thousands of individual pieces for one armor you can do with a few dozens.

Make thousands of these instead of a few dozen chain armors. Protect the core and let the channelers heal other injuries.

5396_804_1.JPG

or this

282114282_yUFnS-M.jpg

I was thinking something more along these lines

h3-master-chief3.jpg

Cuendillar plate for the larger pieces with chain cuendillar for the joints. Due to the fact that the armor isn't tight it grants the wearer greater mobility. Since cuendillar - in theory - can be made to be virtually weightless a suit of armor like this wouldn't burden the wearer at all. Reinforce the visor using the one power to make it virtually impenetrable and you've got an unstoppable beast. With scale armor and conventional plate armor you still have weak points which are exploitable. As stated, many sword forms are specifically designed to go for the weak points. A spear through your armpit or a dagger shoved up between scales won't give you enough time to get to a Healer.

The weave was only rediscovered very recently in the timeline and the weave works quickly only with those who are skilled with weaving earth, which very few Aes Sedai are, and the fact that Aes Sedai are women, who tend to be weaker in earth and fire, doesn't help. It takes a long time for those making cuen to do even small objects (aside from the rare exception), and armies are hundreds of thousands strong at the moment. Oh sure, they could probably make some uber-brigade of 1,000 men or something, maybe even just a few hundred (and even that would take some time), but what would be the point? They would be killable/stoppable in some fashion.

Didn't he state at the end of KoD after the battle with the Seanchan when he noticed an arrow had gone through his coat sleeve that "Maybe a breastplate wouldn't be a bad idea" or something along those lines?

I agree with the premis that chain would be nearly impossible to make as just 1 set of fused links would basically ruin it, and also the time it would take to create.

Plate, scale and banded would be easiest IMO, both in terms of mass production and ease of construction.

A.

Didn't he state at the end of KoD after the battle with the Seanchan when he noticed an arrow had gone through his coat sleeve that "Maybe a breastplate wouldn't be a bad idea" or something along those lines?

Sounds familiar, yes.

I'm not saying that the guy is invincible. Just that Mat has a part to play, and it does not rely on wether or not he's wearing cuendillar armor. :wheel:

SO, after five pages of threads, we're still in the same place. Cuendillar armor is feasible, it just isn't in the books.

That's OK. There are all sorts of things made feasible by the One Power that aren't actually in the books.

:blink: Yep there is no reason to discuss anything.....

Oh wait; maybe other people have a differing opinion, or simply like thinking about the topic and are willing to hear a different point of view. But thank you for sharing your bright ray of sunshine. It truly added to the conversion. :biggrin:

SO, after five pages of threads, we're still in the same place. Cuendillar armor is feasible, it just isn't in the books.

That's OK. There are all sorts of things made feasible by the One Power that aren't actually in the books.

Oh wait; maybe other people have a differing opinion, or simply like thinking about the topic and are willing to hear a different point of view. But thank you for sharing your bright ray of sunshine. It truly added to the conversion. :biggrin:

Much like your post, eh?

Much like your post, eh?

Millennium hand and shrip!

Actually no, not in the same place. To start, most thought it WAS unfeasable. Now that (most) people finally get that some kind of cuendillar armour IS feasable, we can go back to arguing why hasn't it happened - THAT would be in the same place hehehe...

Wheel of Time, arguments; both cyclical :tongue:

h3-master-chief3.jpg

Cuendillar plate for the larger pieces with chain cuendillar for the joints. Due to the fact that the armor isn't tight it grants the wearer greater mobility. Since cuendillar - in theory - can be made to be virtually weightless a suit of armor like this wouldn't burden the wearer at all. Reinforce the visor using the one power to make it virtually impenetrable and you've got an unstoppable beast. With scale armor and conventional plate armor you still have weak points which are exploitable. As stated, many sword forms are specifically designed to go for the weak points. A spear through your armpit or a dagger shoved up between scales won't give you enough time to get to a Healer.

Image did not show.

h3-master-chief3.jpg

Image did not show.

Yeah, alright. It was a picture of Master Chief.

AS-117!

Now that would be interesting, a weave of air for the face mask, some object of power for Cloaking, Bubble Shield and Sprinting. Oh I can see it know. Get with mat to refine his tech so we can get some automatics on the battle field. This crossover could work!

A cloak? Uh, wouldn't that be kind of hard to run around in? Considering it'd be completely stiff.
The interior could probably be several inches wider than the respective body part/parts they cover.

Sure, but we're still talking about a single sheet of unyielding material. Unless you wanted to make a cloak of several individual scales - like a cuendillar gleeman's cloak. However I'd much rather just give all the AS-117 troops a full body suit of Warder Cloak material instead.

"Over here..."

Archived