DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nynaeve's Arc

Luckers

I don't even understand why Egwene called Nynaeve back to the Tower. Especially now that there's Traveling, I fail to see what the relevance of the White Tower is aside from a physical location to train Novices and Accepted.

When you become Aes Sedai, what's the problem with going out into the world? As it is, the Yellow Ajah simply Heals a few stragglers that wander in asking for Healing, the White Ajah engages in useless philosophizing (the only useful philosophy so far was provided by Herid Fel) and the Green Ajah makes token trips to the Blight to fight a few battles before going back to the White Tower.

The Grey Ajah once in a great while will send out ambassadors to broker peace deals. The most active of the Ajahs are the Red and the Blue, since they at least get out there and do something for better or worse, but overall I just can't figure out what most of the Aes Sedai sitting in the White Tower even do with their spare time, other than grow fat (or plump) off of their generous pensions.

Egwene needs to get her Aes Sedai OUT of the White Tower. It's completely nuts what she's doing. Silviana brings reports that there is a massive Trolloc invasion in the Borderlands when she knows that the bulk of the Borderland armies have left town. Come on... why not Travel up there and see what's going on? That's almost criminal. Why is she letting her 500+ Aes Sedai just 'hang out' in the White Tower when there's critical events happening?.... "Sorry Nynaeve, you're doing way too much. Gotta pace yourself. I got you a room in the Tower baby!"

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't go about slapping your Amyrlin either, but Cadsuane has been known to do just that to more than one Amyrlin.

Personally, I too would have found it rather a brilliant twist int he story if Nynaeve didn't end up Aes Sedai.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping they'd fail Nynaeve, she'd flip everyone the bird and leave. Wouldn't that have been a conundrum. A women who is one of the most powerful channelers of the Age, did half the work to cleanse Saidin, bested one of the Forsaken, discovered how to heal stilling and the flaming madness, being kicked out of the Aes Sedai because she's not... what? Strong enough? Clever enough? If that wouldn't have been a call for the White Tower to get off its high horse, I don't know what it would take.

I don't even understand why Egwene called Nynaeve back to the Tower. Especially now that there's Traveling, I fail to see what the relevance of the White Tower is aside from a physical location to train Novices and Accepted.

When you become Aes Sedai, what's the problem with going out into the world? As it is, the Yellow Ajah simply Heals a few stragglers that wander in asking for Healing, the White Ajah engages in useless philosophizing (the only useful philosophy so far was provided by Herid Fel) and the Green Ajah makes token trips to the Blight to fight a few battles before going back to the White Tower.

The Grey Ajah once in a great while will send out ambassadors to broker peace deals. The most active of the Ajahs are the Red and the Blue, since they at least get out there and do something for better or worse, but overall I just can't figure out what most of the Aes Sedai sitting in the White Tower even do with their spare time, other than grow fat (or plump) off of their generous pensions.

Egwene needs to get her Aes Sedai OUT of the White Tower. It's completely nuts what she's doing. Silviana brings reports that there is a massive Trolloc invasion in the Borderlands when she knows that the bulk of the Borderland armies have left town. Come on... why not Travel up there and see what's going on? That's almost criminal. Why is she letting her 500+ Aes Sedai just 'hang out' in the White Tower when there's critical events happening?.... "Sorry Nynaeve, you're doing way too much. Gotta pace yourself. I got you a room in the Tower baby!"

Preach it! Say it loud. I totally agree with you. Of course we can hope real practical preparation for the Last Battle is happening off screen, but we didn't get much from Egwene's povs that gave any sense that the Aes Sedai are dusting their weaves off. Most of Egwene's thoughts were about the immediate threat--Mesaana, and the alliance of channelers going forward via internships. But if she believes Rand really is going to Travel to SG and break the Seals--and thus begin the Last Battle, you'd think we'd get a glimpse of the preparations for a great mobilization of Aes Sedai for use during the war. However by the end of the book, Egwene is watching Gawyn reunite with his mother when Rand arrives at Perrin's camp. This is the day before Rand has told her he would Travel to SG and she hasn't spared us one thought about what the Aes Sedai are going to do in the Last Battle.

There are many more ajahs than Green and Yellow, I only wish us readers were given a sense that the leadership in the White Tower were aware of their responsibilities and had some plans for the war. Does the normal Aes Sedai even know of any real weaves to fight with? Besides fireballs? When has a random Brown or White who has been buried in the Tower for 70 years last created the weave for lightning? I think we forget that not every Aes Sedai is even very strong in the Power. Many of our heroes are remarkable for their strength, but I suppose links can be created with weaker less battle savvy sisters but led by a Green or a Yellow in the Last Battle.

Oh thank the lord for Nynaeve (see how I just remembered this was a Nynaeve thread, not a rant thread), But she's not exactly preaching on a corner of Tar Valon. I wonder if the sisters at her testing will even admit she made sense and took to heart her quiet statement about Tarmon Gaidon.

I would have been sad If Nynaeve was said to fail her testing. She deserves that ring more than anyone, I think, and certainly her actions inside the ter'angreal were more what being an Aes Sedai should be about.

I have always loved Nynaeve and I think she just keeps getting cooler. Especially with Healing Naeff's madness. I think this can lead to something even more significant, later. I have to disagree with what one person said though, that in the Age of Legends they didn't think to Heal madness. They probably did think about it, but from what I can recall, the men who went mad also just went on killing sprees. Their madness was much worse--and also not worth Healing since the taint would have made them mad all over again.

Also, what is MoA? Can people just start spelling out words and phrases here instead of just bloody using all these abbreviations? Honestly.

Nyneave has now become a REAL Aes Sedai, alongside Rand and Moiraine. The rest of them have been extremely disappointing throughout the series with their petty squabbles, arrogance and egoism, even Egwene does not have the required mindset (even if she in many regards is quite awesome).

I would have been sad If Nynaeve was said to fail her testing. She deserves that ring more than anyone, I think, and certainly her actions inside the ter'angreal were more what being an Aes Sedai should be about.

I have always loved Nynaeve and I think she just keeps getting cooler. Especially with Healing Naeff's madness. I think this can lead to something even more significant, later. I have to disagree with what one person said though, that in the Age of Legends they didn't think to Heal madness. They probably did think about it, but from what I can recall, the men who went mad also just went on killing sprees. Their madness was much worse--and also not worth Healing since the taint would have made them mad all over again.

Also, what is MoA? Can people just start spelling out words and phrases here instead of just bloody using all these abbreviations? Honestly.

Moment of Awesome

I think she's going to be the model for a new type of Aes Sedai - Egwene saved the White Tower, but Nynaeve will be the one who will be it's heart for years to come.

I think that if Egwene were to tell her to not show how to cure madness, she'd say "Stick it. Mother." In that way, she is like the Aiel - defends her own well.

Can't happen. When you take the job you agree to follow the boss's orders.

If she ever even thought she might need to tell Egwene to "Stick it!", she should have refused the summons and simply sent back the garishly ugly ring.

You don't make a corrupt Age better by starting off with lies and deception.

The biggest disappointment from Nynaeve in this book is her agreeing to not just take the test but also to take the vows.

Dumbdumbdumb.

Lots of Aes Sedai agreed to follow the Amyrlins orders and found reason to disobey later,if Nynaeve thinks the orders are dead wrong she will do what is right.

Also something could still happen I think,I may have missed it but she hadn't taken the oaths yet and a sudden event could interfere with that.

I had wished she didn't join the White tower and just made Myrelle transfer Lans bond.

She knew how the test was meant to be and did it her way anyway as well.

I wonder how the future will look for the Aes Sedai. There's this whole Last Battle thing in the way, but I'm thinking more along the lines of how they would hold themselves in the world. The whole Nynaeve way vs Egwene way is an interesting one. I really hope that what Rand said holds, that the Aes Sedai don't ruin Nynaeve.

Cadsuane hasn't exactly been perfect in this series, but overall she's been much preferable to the "standard" Aes Sedai, and Nynaeve is definitely going down that road. Moiraine is another one, and I feel Verin is one too, if in a slightly different way. I might see a pattern that isn't there though, as these happen to be my favourite women of the WoT universe, with a few additions.

Does anyone think that Nynaeve would willingly return to the White Tower without knowing that Rand sent help to Lan? Obviously, it wasn't mentioned in-text, but given everything we know about her I can see Nynaeve defying the Amyrlin's orders to be with him in the end if there was no help coming. So, I think it is clear that Lan's "final charge" isn't a suicidal move, but an apt cliffhanger leading into the final novel. It's exactly like the Caemlyn attack.

Moment of Awesome

yes, figured this one out fr myself, I am so proud :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: :whitecloak: I love that sun emoticon

I think she's going to be the model for a new type of Aes Sedai - Egwene saved the White Tower, but Nynaeve will be the one who will be it's heart for years to come.

I think that if Egwene were to tell her to not show how to cure madness, she'd say "Stick it. Mother." In that way, she is like the Aiel - defends her own well.

Can't happen. When you take the job you agree to follow the boss's orders.

If she ever even thought she might need to tell Egwene to "Stick it!", she should have refused the summons and simply sent back the garishly ugly ring.

You don't make a corrupt Age better by starting off with lies and deception.

The biggest disappointment from Nynaeve in this book is her agreeing to not just take the test but also to take the vows. Dumbdumbdumb.

I can't agree with that. Blindly following the Amyrlin's order is what Elaida wanted. Fact is, the Amyrlin doesn't have absolute authority.

I don't believe Egwene would give such an order and if she did, Nynaeve would be right to say no.

I don't remember which one it was, but one of the Aes Sedai expressed surprise that Nynaeve thought she was going to Tarmon Gaidon.

Doesn't that seem odd? I mean - isn't EVERYONE going? Maybe not the novices who are still children, but I'd assume that all Aes Sedai, all accepted, and all the novices who can do anything useful and are old enough to not totally panic will be going. I mean - it's the LAST BATTLE.

Why would anyone be surprised that Nynaeve (who is one of the most powerful channelers the light has, as well as super healer) is going? Does that seem... odd, to anyone? I don't think it's anything sinister... it just seems out of place, maybe that some of the Aes Sedai haven't really figured out that THIS IS IT.

Isn't it firmly established by now that the Aes Sedai in general and all of them we get to meet in particular are silly twits?

Isn't it Corelle who thinks that just because Min has viewings that obviously concern things after the Last Battle that all is well and they don't need to worry? She's unlikely to be alone in that. Nobody wants to stare the end of existence straight in the face. To honestly face that prospect. Deflection and denial are the uniform of the day everywhere, including inside the White Tower.

I don't remember which one it was, but one of the Aes Sedai expressed surprise that Nynaeve thought she was going to Tarmon Gaidon.

Doesn't that seem odd? I mean - isn't EVERYONE going? Maybe not the novices who are still children, but I'd assume that all Aes Sedai, all accepted, and all the novices who can do anything useful and are old enough to not totally panic will be going. I mean - it's the LAST BATTLE.

Why would anyone be surprised that Nynaeve (who is one of the most powerful channelers the light has, as well as super healer) is going? Does that seem... odd, to anyone? I don't think it's anything sinister... it just seems out of place, maybe that some of the Aes Sedai haven't really figured out that THIS IS IT.

Yeah I thought that was weird too. Surely everyone who is even remotely able to should be there. Its the battle for humanity and the Pattern. I would send the novices too; Egwene showed in TGS what a group can do if linked. Use novices purely for linking purposes; they could even just stay back and link up with healers. but regardless, everyone should be there. They have farmers picking up pitchforks and stuff and just joining in. Every Aes Sedai should be clawing their way to try and be up at the front, especially the Greens.

Wasn't it rather surprise that Nynaeve intended to go to _Shayol Ghul_ with Rand? But yes, general lack of preparations for TG doesn't make sense to me. Of course, it didn't make sense to me as early as TGH that Siuan, a Lightside Amyrlin who was well aware of impending TG wasn't doing anything to prepare. I guess that RJ/BWS felt that AS needed to be dumbed down to the level of turnips to give the protagonists/ male channelers a chance to shine... It is kind of endemic problem of WoT - it can't pull off decent antagonists or even dissidents. Sigh.

Nynaeve's cleaning Naeff's madness was amazing. This leads me to believe that Nyn is going to play a very, very big role in the cleansing of the Black Tower. Something to keep in mind, Nynaeve doesn't heal madness, she removes the taint from the minds of those it has afflicted, and then heals the physical damage that the taint has done. Now we know that the Black Tower is being converted, person by person using the 13*13 method. But what does this do? My suspicion is that it fills the channeler with something like the taint. If my suspicion is correct, than Nynaeve will be doing some very important cleaning up around the Black Tower. (+ actually removing the effects of the taint from the poor guys)

Not as far as I know, though I could be wrong. He said that 13x13 Turning couldn't be reversed 'unaided'. Whether that means you can't do it yourself, but someone outside yourself can, or you need something weird, we don't know.

So why didnt she Heal Rand of the Taint? Did that blinding light frighten her or what???

His madness was just too much work for her to fix at that time. She was really tired and she was summoned to the White Tower and had to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to give it a go at a later time.

So why didnt she Heal Rand of the Taint? Did that blinding light frighten her or what???

His madness was just too much work for her to fix at that time. She was really tired and she was summoned to the

White Tower and had to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to give it a go at a later time.

I hope she doesn't it would be a distaster Rand already has his own protection the light shielding his mind from the thorns of the web of taint. He somehow did that himself if Nynaeve was to meddle with this it could ruin his chances of winning the LB.

Archived