DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nakomi

Luckers

It was said that there were only the four they meet immediately after using the portal stone in TSR, and then one (Seana) was killed in an attack in the waste.

I was under the imprression that Aiel had a good number of Dreamwalkers. I remember them talking about Dreamwalkers in each clan finding water when a hold grew too big.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was said that there were only the four they meet immediately after using the portal stone in TSR, and then one (Seana) was killed in an attack in the waste.

I was under the imprression that Aiel had a good number of Dreamwalkers. I remember them talking about Dreamwalkers in each clan finding water when a hold grew too big.

That could have meant throughout their history, over 3000 years, not jsut presently. But there were only 4 Dreamwalkers in the Aiel as of tSR. It may be that some others have realised they have the Talent for that kind of thing, but it seems doubtful, Amys, Bair and Melaine arnt training anyone at the moment, and knowing their reaction to TAR, they would be very very strict about it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that it was Verin. Her presence was there in parts of the book. Not only is there a letter given to Tiana, but in one of Perrin's scenes, Galad?, a character gets a mysterious letter. Verin's part isn't done quite yet, I think

For some reason, I got the feeling that she was the last of the Jenn Aiel

It wouldn't surprise me at all that it was Verin. Her presence was there in parts of the book. Not only is there a letter given to Tiana, but in one of Perrin's scenes, Galad?, a character gets a mysterious letter. Verin's part isn't done quite yet, I think

For some reason, I got the feeling that she was the last of the Jenn Aiel

its definitely not out of the realm of possibility. *shrugs*

whoever it is, i didn't get any darkfriend vibe from them at all. She didn't do or say anything misleading, only thought provoking. Dare i say some of our commenters are thinking like Children of the Light? If anything, she seems like somebody sent from a benevolent source to show avhienda that there is much to think about and discuss that she never would have guessed before she began her Wise One training. It seems plausable that the Wise Ones would plant a person to make their apprentices think during their final test, knowing that she already knows about the visions in the columns.

She's a mystery. I'm pretty content with that- the Avi scenes this book were some of the strongest in the story, IMO. I don't think its Verin, I think she's something else, but I don't really think we'll ever get the answer. She may not even be real, simply something designed to trigger at a certain time for a certain person the Jenn would know to exist.

She existed to develop Avi. I'm fine with that, not expecting anything more from her. I just know I loved the scene.

It was certainly a weird scene. Anyone who has read Sanderson's other work will, I think, see this as very much a Sanderson invention. Perhaps that's just me, but it felt absurdly Hoid-like. Anyway, that's assuming that Nakomi was a creation just for this single purpose. If it was a seed planted by RJ, even obscurely, then the speculations are probably more to the point.

Could it be Verin? I like the idea, and it does fit with certain things -- the questions, the appearing and disappearing -- but does Verin know how to reverse her weaves? I suppose she must. Otherwise, Aviendha would have noticed a gateway. Hum.

I actually had the idea that Nakomi was somehow involved in the process of becoming a WO, perhaps sent by the other three or another ter'angreal (or similar construct), but that seems a bit obscure and somehow improbable.

I like the idea of it being the Jenn Aiel the best, but that would invalidate their view of their own extinction. Hm. Maybe she was someone who got stuck in a stasis box :p

I have a hard time believing it to be a DF, unless they somehow tainted the pillars. That would be the most interesting, and the coolest. What if Aviendha, in seeking to prevent this future, really destroyed everything? Terrible, but great at the same time, if you know what I mean.

One thing's for sure -- she certainly wasn't a true Aiel.

whoever it is, i didn't get any darkfriend vibe from them at all. She didn't do or say anything misleading, only thought provoking. Dare i say some of our commenters are thinking like Children of the Light? If anything, she seems like somebody sent from a benevolent source to show avhienda that there is much to think about and discuss that she never would have guessed before she began her Wise One training. It seems plausable that the Wise Ones would plant a person to make their apprentices think during their final test, knowing that she already knows about the visions in the columns.

Avi doesn't pick up any channeling ability.

But N appears and disappears mysteriously along with her belongings.

How?

Why would be a non-DF mask channeling ability?

If N been sent by a channeler using a Gate/ Portal, why is said channeler working behind the scenes?

Why can't N tell Avi her sept/ clan?

Yes, to channel Sam Vimes, I'm a suspicious so-and-so.

nakomi is an enigma -for now- I'm thinking maybe she is a Jenn that was in a stasis box/a Jenn that was hidden from the rest of the aiel (probably the latter)

1- she seems to have items of power - every "day" type items- see the item she uses to cook the roots? (i need an ebook version so i can have fast references while on the computer)

2- she knows about the aiel, and gives Avi thoughts about the future, without her there avi would NOT have tried to use her powers to learn about the crystal maze thingy and activate/alter the next stage of clan chief/wise woman evolution.

3- personally i think that the power activated was either dormant in the item and it was Rand's coming that "turned it on". OR it was always THERE, just the Jenn aiel ordered/said, only go thru the crystal once...and the aiel obeyed until AVI got "prompted" to go back.

4- and Yes there is a chance she was Verin, but i'm HOPING not.

It is, actually, since the Jenn foresaw their own extinction.

Well, yeah. The only way that it would be possible is if she was some kind of Jenn ghost. Of course, I think that is pretty unlikely. I'm with you, I think it was Verin..I'm just not going to shoot down the possibility, its not like we are reading nonfiction here. :p

The whole thing smelled like TAR to me, even though that seems implausible since there wasn't any indication of Avi dreaming. There being more coals all of a sudden, silverware and belongings appearing suddenly ... it all seemed like something that would happen in TAR. The person appearing/disappearing could be Power-ish, but everything else seems more TAR-like.

I definitely got the impression she was Aiel, or an Aiel that was out of touch a lot (i.e. - Jenn that have been in hiding; yes, yes, I know they saw their extinction). As for who, seems to be more likely to be Jenn reminent than Verin, especially if it was TAR bleeding into reality due to Pattern weakness, et cetera.

Just my impressions.

I considered Verin, and would LIKE it to be her in some ways, but I would be more inclined to think she would have given Avi one of her famous letters instead. A person given one of these letters I could see, but again, why not give it to Avi directly? All I know is that from the first time I read the name, before any of the strangeness began, I had a VERY strong feeling that I had read/heard it somewhere before... So I, and hopefully some other sharp fans, should probably look for the magic word Nakomi on our next read through.

May you always find Water and Shade.

It is also withing the relm of possibilities to concider if Nakomi was Verin's ghost. With ghosts all around now with Tarmon Gaidon approaching, it is possible that Verin could have come back to guide Aviendha in her journey somehow. Perhapse she also forsaw the destruction of the Aiel and whated to help her prevent it. Or, it could also have been a Jenn ghost.

I doubt that Nakomi was from a Stasis Box. The Aiel's culture I think would definately be much more difficult to integrate oneself into than most of the other cultures we've seen, due to the nature of ji'e'toh and all that. Nakomi seemed to know more about modern day Aiel culture than she'd probably be able to pick up if she was let out of a Stasis Box by one of the Forsaken.

Not saying it's an impossibility, just I really doubt that's what it is.

I thought the Jenn Aiel were already extinct, I thought that when Rand went through and saw his very first vision, that was the last of the Jenn we saw there and that they've been extinct for hundreds and hundreds of years. If I'm mistaken, and the Jenn have survived somehow all this time, then I'd say yes, there's a pretty good chance that Nakomi is one of them.

I considered Verin, and would LIKE it to be her in some ways, but I would be more inclined to think she would have given Avi one of her famous letters instead. A person given one of these letters I could see, but again, why not give it to Avi directly? All I know is that from the first time I read the name, before any of the strangeness began, I had a VERY strong feeling that I had read/heard it somewhere before... So I, and hopefully some other sharp fans, should probably look for the magic word Nakomi on our next read through

There is no Nakomi on www.encyclopaedia-wot.org under characters: N

My first guess when I read it was a Jenn Aiel. Now I think the Verrin idea is very plausable and the more I think on it the more likely it seems though I am not sure how the timing on that works out. I have to admit, I am totally taken aback and confused as the the entire part of Avi's parts and what she saw.

Time-traveller from the (bleak, grim) future who learned from the ter'angreal Where It All Went Wrong and has gone back in time to fix it, by giving Aviendha a nudge in the right direction to understand what she needs to do to prevent that future.

...okay, so I don't believe that either.

I am not sure why a forsaken/dark friend would be interested in what the aiel do after the last battle?The shadow is concerned about last battle winning it why would they care what the aiel do after dragon wins the last battle?

Backup - make sure the Aiel aren't there to aid the Dragon's next incarnation in case the GLoD doesn't win this time.

In my mind I am almost certain that its not an DF or a FS verin is a possiblity but based on what happened in the vision I believe that both incidents are connected as they both focused on aiel future

I considered Verin, and would LIKE it to be her in some ways, but I would be more inclined to think she would have given Avi one of her famous letters instead. A person given one of these letters I could see, but again, why not give it to Avi directly? All I know is that from the first time I read the name, before any of the strangeness began, I had a VERY strong feeling that I had read/heard it somewhere before... So I, and hopefully some other sharp fans, should probably look for the magic word Nakomi on our next read through

There is no Nakomi on www.encyclopaedia-wot.org under characters: N

Hm... Thanks for that. I didn't have time to check anything before my next class. I've still heard it, or something like it, somewhere. It's the puzzle of where and when that will keep me awake for a few weeks. It'll probably come to me sometime next month that there was someone in an obscure book, or one of my classes, who was named similarly and stuck in my mind while I was reading WoT book.

May you find Water and Shade.

Something was going on with Nakomi. The whole Verin thing is fine and dandy, but let's face it: she added wood to a fire that created coals, cooked some deepearth root super fast, came upon Aviendha by surprise (a feat), etc....

These are not normal reality/human effects.

Here's a few theories:

1. Part of becoming a Wise One involves this trek, and the Wise Ones sent someone with a ter'angreal that allows for certain other-worldly things to happen in the "space" created by a bubble.

2. This was part of the pattern thinning, and Nakomi was a spirit/ancestor/early Wise One/Jenn (this is what I think)

That does it. I'm calling it. The Jenn foresaw what would become of the Aiel in the Fourth Age without a change in direction. They altered/created a ter'angreal to trigger at a specific time for a specific person, regardless of where that person is. They foresaw Aviendha, essentially, and knew when they'd need to trigger it. Nakomi is meant to push the Aiel to a proper path, to get them to accept that ji'e'toh has to change.

If its Verin I will be disappointed. I see no motivation for it and she doesn't have that much of a connection with the Aiel.

Archived