DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand & Egwene (Full Spoilers)

JenniferL

Well, I don't mean to be offensive, but you understand competitive traditional archery like a weekend flag-football player understands an NFL playbook.

Why don't you spend some time on Google iimages, and find some pictures of top competitors in the major trad events? Let me know when you find one with a body type like Brigette's.

It's getting a bit hot in here....sizzling hot....

and here http://www.groupstd.com/random_images/marcusmyspace/archery.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't mean to be offensive, but you understand competitive traditional archery like a weekend flag-football player understands an NFL playbook.

Why don't you spend some time on Google iimages, and find some pictures of top competitors in the major trad events? Let me know when you find one with a body type like Brigette's.

Yeah, well like I said, I know a lot about this and don't like to see it butchered, either by fantasy authors or message board posters.

That chick's got a compound bow, and a body type more like that of Selucia. Who, by the way, is a man.

Since when does being able to bench 270 have anything to do with being able to pull a bow or reflect practical strength? i know multiple person who can bench 350+ who can't even do 2 pullups, 40 pushups, etc.

Hate to take this thread any further down the track of not being about Rand and Egwene, but weight strength means absolutely nothing in real world situations.

wow, meaning to be offensive or not, you def hit your target dubba. What does anything I said have to do with comp. trad. archery... Oh, yeah, nothing. I simply refuted your need to assert strength as the one trait which separates a good archer from a poor archer... If that were the correlation, I would be frakkin awesome at it. Its skill.

The picture provided was hilarious btw...that woman needs to tuck those in...mess up her aim those will ;)

http://www.dreamstime.com/photos-stock-cible-femelle-de-sport-d-archer-image98053

http://fotosa.ru/ru/stock/search.asp?ID=1717519

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/56024/56024,1249667010,1/stock-photo-young-beautiful-female-archer-with-arch-and-arrow-34896145.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-34896145/stock-photo-young-beautiful-female-archer-with-arch-and-arrow.html&usg=__n3ZOnFHkAZa2jqfRWCSW7i-KaGw=&h=320&w=450&sz=44&hl=en&start=191&zoom=0&tbnid=Fq9WF56uPODj5M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfemale%2Barcher%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1260%26bih%3D506%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C4954&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=832&vpy=117&dur=3525&hovh=90&hovw=127&tx=82&ty=54&oei=YPDiTIqVM4H68AaZ_Pi0DQ&esq=7&page=13&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:191&biw=1260&bih=506

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.bowsandarrowsonline.com/images/mainpagepic.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shoponline2011.com/m~c-guitar-bass~b-521900~f-294299-467695.aspx&usg=__3ym7-mGNf9ZkexTByhViYOAk6gk=&h=384&w=256&sz=24&hl=en&start=103&zoom=1&tbnid=TAiq_OUe1tbUPM:&tbnh=174&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drecurve%2Barchery%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1260%26bih%3D506%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C3634&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=848&vpy=124&dur=59&hovh=275&hovw=183&tx=77&ty=164&ei=_vPiTOq7DoOdlgfx8sHnDg&oei=0_PiTNy-IML-8Aai8eWTDg&esq=12&page=10&ndsp=11&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:103&biw=1260&bih=506

eh...duh...

PS - I can put a knife into a 6-inch bull, from 30 feet, 9 times out of 10. With several inches of penetration into solid pine. Can I do the same with a moving target in the dark? Nope. but then, I don't train for that. I've just tossed knives around for maybe 10-12 hours.

Thrown knives aren't a great weapon, but they aren't worthless. Generally, you would want to throw one knife to occupy your opponent while you closed with another knife.

By the way, throwing knives is great fun. I recommend the Glock 78 field knife.

I know a guy who trained in professional knife fighting - he said this, once you close into a knife fight everything is decided very, very fast. When to people know what they doing, the first attack usually is the last, either attacker kills or is killed, very simple, very fast. So, when you see Steven Segal going at it for like 5 minutes, it's bullsh*t.

Throwing knifes are fun but they are expensive as hell!

Chuck Norris is the worst. He's a kick boxer - wearing bigole, honkin boots - he kicks some guy in the head and knocks him through a wall and the guy gets up and comes back for more? Four, five, six times???

If you're doing that right, you break bones. Hopefully the other guys, not your own.

As to knives. They only work at set distances. One foot too close, six inches too far and the knife doesn't arrive at the target point first. Throwing a knife at somebody is just a really good way to disarm yourself to no good effect.

Since when does being able to bench 270 have anything to do with being able to pull a bow or reflect practical strength? i know multiple person who can bench 350+ who can't even do 2 pullups, 40 pushups, etc.

Hate to take this thread any further down the track of not being about Rand and Egwene, but weight strength means absolutely nothing in real world situations.

read my post again....I think you will find you are just agreeing with me....

If you had any idea what you were talking about, you would realize that those youtubes refute your argument, not enhance it.

Whether you like it or not, the best real-world, modern correlate of the WOT archer is the traditional/primitive competitive archer. Since you googled images, I sure you did in fact find out what the top trad archers look like.

But who knows, maybe Brigette found a fiberglass bow somewhere.

If you had any idea what you were talking about, you would realize that those youtubes refute your argument, not enhance it.

Whether you like it or not, the best real-world, modern correlate of the WOT archer is the traditional/primitive competitive archer. Since you googled images, I sure you did in fact find out what the top trad archers look like.

Instead of saying google this or youtube that, what don't you post those top archers you are so talking about! Are they different from ones in Olympics?

PS - I can put a knife into a 6-inch bull, from 30 feet, 9 times out of 10. With several inches of penetration into solid pine. Can I do the same with a moving target in the dark? Nope. but then, I don't train for that. I've just tossed knives around for maybe 10-12 hours.

Thrown knives aren't a great weapon, but they aren't worthless. Generally, you would want to throw one knife to occupy your opponent while you closed with another knife.

By the way, throwing knives is great fun. I recommend the Glock 78 field knife.

I know a guy who trained in professional knife fighting - he said this, once you close into a knife fight everything is decided very, very fast. When to people know what they doing, the first attack usually is the last, either attacker kills or is killed, very simple, very fast. So, when you see Steven Segal going at it for like 5 minutes, it's bullsh*t.

Throwing knifes are fun but they are expensive as hell!

Chuck Norris is the worst. He's a kick boxer - wearing bigole, honkin boots - he kicks some guy in the head and knocks him through a wall and the guy gets up and comes back for more? Four, five, six times???

If you're doing that right, you break bones. Hopefully the other guys, not your own.

As to knives. They only work at set distances. One foot too close, six inches too far and the knife doesn't arrive at the target point first. Throwing a knife at somebody is just a really good way to disarm yourself to no good effect.

actually throwing knives has tips that are heavier so they unbalance (if you will) the blade. a result is that no mater how you grow it, the tip always goes in first.

A recurve of 50lb draw is 50 lb regardless of material and the weights are very similar so using a modern fibo as a correlate to trad layered wood composite is acceptable in this instance. Perhaps you will now bring up that it is not, in fact, a trad gut string they are using to fire the alum arrow and that will throw off their shot.... the idea is that a normal strength person can achieve great accuracy with skill so please stop squatting all over the idea of Birgitte as a believable archer. And I'm done. Back to Rand & Egwene please

Instead of saying google this or youtube that, what don't you post those top archers you are so talking about! Are they different from ones in Olympics?

I have to say, good point.

Yeah, well like I said, I know a lot about this and don't like to see it butchered, either by fantasy authors or message board posters.

That chick's got a compound bow, and a body type more like that of Selucia. Who, by the way, is a man.

DAYUMN Brigette is STACKED. Don't the twins get in the way in that sport? Maybe she's only drawing the bow till it touches her left most breast.

A recurve of 50lb draw is 50 lb regardless of material and the weights are very similar so using a modern fibo as a correlate to trad layered wood composite is acceptable in this instance. Perhaps you will now bring up that it is not, in fact, a trad gut string they are using to fire the alum arrow and that will throw off their shot.... the idea is that a normal strength person can achieve great accuracy with skill so please stop squatting all over the idea of Birgitte as a believable archer. And I'm done. Back to Rand & Egwene please

I am not sure discussion is about weight or shape of a bow. To store x amount of energy in the bow, how much work you will have to do is the real question here.

I am not sure discussion is about weight or shape of a bow. To store x amount of energy in the bow, how much work you will have to do is the real question here.

Oh, physics is important, please go on, I'm interested in this whole thing. the more the merrier! ::get's pop corn out and 3D glasses, with a sigh and mumbled "i love these forum fights and to watch too":: biggrin.gif

In the Olympics, men use a 50lb bow, women a 40lb bow. So it's a whole different game.

Not all WOT archers are Two Rivers longbowmen, obviously. But an English longbow typically had a draw weight in the area of 200lbs. It is possible to identify which skeletons recovered from battlefields were the bowmen, from the deformities this repeated strain caused to their bones.

Military bows of other countries were not as powerful, but generally exceeded 100lbs draw weight.

Whatever, man. A 50 lb bow (25% heavier than that used by women in modern competition) is one quarter the weight of an english longbow, less than half the weight of a military bow in our real history. It' the difference between a jog in the park and a marathon.

*squat*

I'll stop now, but only because I recognize that this conversation is of limited interest to anyone not interested in bows.

Whatever, man. A 50 lb bow (25% heavier than that used by women in modern competition) is one quarter the weight of an english longbow, less than half the weight of a military bow in our real history. It' the difference between a jog in the park and a marathon.

*squat*

I'll stop now, but only because I recognize that this conversation is of limited interest to anyone not interested in bows.

I hope our here means European and not world. "Our" bows sucked big time till we got the better ones from Asia.

Archived