DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand & Egwene (Full Spoilers)

JenniferL

Why do people keep saying Elayne supports Rand? From what I noticed it's quite the oppisite....

Because Elayne is bonded to Rand, and she trusts him. She may have said, For Egwene's sake, that she will support her, but in truth she trusts his judgment and is simply trying to get Egwene to hear him out.

My problem with Egwene is simple: she abandoned EVERYTHING that she stood for, she let the stupidest of arguments convince her that Aes Sedai need to take the Oaths, she refuses to think of her own plan and simply opposes Rand's, without giving a thought as to what she is going to do. Her first reaction to Nyn is that she has been ta'verened, rather than the truth, that she trusts Rand's judgment...

Egwene cannot stick to a position; she lets faulty logic and tradition cloud her judgment while ignoring the people who she should listen to. I'm sorry, but if I had been the one told Siuan's explanation for why she should retake the oaths I would have smacked her until she came to her senses. Restriction do not make you something, and if your group is defined only by the fact that you have those restrictions your group needs a lot of work.

Personally I am sad that Nyn and Elayne are giving in to the Oath rod, they should know better.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem with Egwene is simple: she abandoned EVERYTHING that she stood for, she let the stupidest of arguments convince her that Aes Sedai need to take the Oaths, she refuses to think of her own plan and simply opposes Rand's, without giving a thought as to what she is going to do. Her first reaction to Nyn is that she has been ta'verened, rather than the truth, that she trusts Rand's judgment...

Egwene cannot stick to a position; she lets faulty logic and tradition cloud her judgment while ignoring the people who she should listen to. I'm sorry, but if I had been the one told Siuan's explanation for why she should retake the oaths I would have smacked her until she came to her senses. Restriction do not make you something, and if your group is defined only by the fact that you have those restrictions your group needs a lot of work.

Personally I am sad that Nyn and Elayne are giving in to the Oath rod, they should know better.

All of this is why I think Egwene had some Compulsion laid on her.

Just posted this in another thread but thought it would fit here too. Just an idea of what's going on, why eggy is doing what she is doing.

This is kinda how I think the meeting may play out.

Everyone but Mat, Thom and Mo are there.

Rand- Hey all! Thanks Egwene for getting everyone here. Saved me a HUGE headache. Anyhow here's what we are gonna do...

Egwene gapes then- Aren't we going to talk about the seals?

Rand- Sure in a second. First though, gotta do something about the Seanchan

Mat et al come in... Over hearing Seanchan comment.

Mat- Dude married to Tuon so I got it covered. BTW here is mo alive and so so...

Pause for tearful reunion and gasps over missing eye.

Rand- K moving on. So seals... I am gonna break them just not yet. Here is why... Explanation

Egwene- No that is dumb. You forced my hand. Sorry Rand you woolhead.

Has thirteen sisters shield him and binds him with air.

Mo- Umm... Wouldn't do that if I were you guys. He is right and you know the pattern will weave him where it wants him...

Rand- Pretty Much. Sure you want to...

Messengers arrive from Cam and TV with word of attacks.

Rand sniffs and exchanges glances with Mat and Perrin. WO snicker and Eg gapes.

Egg gives in, and they send Mat and co to TV, Perrin and co to Cam, Rand and Egg and co to BT and Borderlanders to Lan. They all meet back after to finish the dragons peace(with Aiel), binding tuon (with duct tape I hope) and such. Then off to see the DO, the most creepiest DO of all...

All of this is why I think Egwene had some Compulsion laid on her.

I believe RJ confirmed that she flipped of her own free will and that no compulsion was involved.

I was wondering about the quote were Egwene mentions talking to Elayne about Rand. Knowing the theme of miscommunication in WoT I wondered in what ways Egwene could do something stupid involving his Aes Sedai... My first thought was she might find out about the triple bond but misunderstand and assume Rand forced it on them. From here several bad things could happen: she might try to make Elayne give up the bond, she could order her birched, she might yell at Rand and give away his affection to Elayne, or she might try to take the bond what with the whole the Dragon is the responsibility of Amyrlin seat. Or she could want to talk to Min and send an Aes Sedai to fetch her. Even if Egwene's intentions were good this could go wrong in a million ways. An Asha'man guarding Min could mistake it for an attack, the sister could be one of the BA left behind and try to attack, Min could take fright (remember she was kidnapped and beaten by Aes Sedai too) and Rand sensing this through the bond might attack first and ask questions later. Or the Hall could find out and try to do something drastic even if Egwene meant well. The irregularities in all of Rand's bonds and tower custom have been set up in several books as a source of conflict.

What do you think?

Archived