DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Education in Randland

drewk

Have you all forgotten that Rand started a school in Cairhien?

Well, obviously not, but we weren't talking about that kind of education. The original question was about how your average Randlander learns to read and write and suchlike, not how some eccentrics figured out how to bottle "lightning" or build some really nasty ballistae.

Have you all forgotten that Rand started a school in Cairhien?

Well, obviously not, but we weren't talking about that kind of education. The original question was about how your average Randlander learns to read and write and suchlike, not how some eccentrics figured out how to bottle "lightning" or build some really nasty ballistae.

Yeah but a little more like "why does every Randlander, even the farmers from the most forgotten part of Andor, take time out of their farming every day to learn how to read books and such?"

Also the Fal Dara football team will wreck Illian. Heavy cavalry ftw.

Yeah but a little more like "why does every Randlander, even the farmers from the most forgotten part of Andor, take time out of their farming every day to learn how to read books and such?"

Well, not everyone does. A very large percentage do, but, for instance, I highly doubt most Tairen peasants are at all literate. We also know that the Tower has had to regularly teach many of its novices to read and write after they arrive. Anyway, it's largely due to printing surviving even during the Breaking and the existence of very long-lived folk like the Ogier and Aes Sedai that kept the habit of literacy alive. The early post-Breaking AS especially, I'd imagine, as they'd have wanted to keep as much of the AoL alive as they could and also make sure the world knew and remembered the Shadow. Then later you have Hawkwing's empire, which was actually quite socially progressive in many ways and able to influence the entire continent.

Well, not everyone does. A very large percentage do, but, for instance, I highly doubt most Tairen peasants are at all literate. We also know that the Tower has had to regularly teach many of its novices to read and write after they arrive. Anyway, it's largely due to printing surviving even during the Breaking and the existence of very long-lived folk like the Ogier and Aes Sedai that kept the habit of literacy alive. The early post-Breaking AS especially, I'd imagine, as they'd have wanted to keep as much of the AoL alive as they could and also make sure the world knew and remembered the Shadow. Then later you have Hawkwing's empire, which was actually quite socially progressive in many ways and able to influence the entire continent.

I guess it all comes down to ta'veren. That's one of the most ingenious parts of WoT, the main characters can have the most unlikely things happen to them during their whole lives and we can't question it because they are the most important part of the pattern during the present. We see all the most unlikely things occur because the pattern needs those things to happen to our guys.

I'd like to propose a toast to Robert Jordan, who's foresight is unparalleled and who is also a complete badass. To RJ!

• 2 months later...

I might be a bit too old for this, but why does "ease the badger" sound like every male masturbation metaphor ever? And there's always been an inn named that? Randland house of ill repute? I think so.

There is

a house

in Ilian,

they call the...no it doesn't scan at all :madmyrddraal:

I always got the impression that reading was pretty much a cultural thing. In the Two Rivers they liked having a few books around, in other places, maybe not so much. They were shown to have a strong appetite for news of the 'outside world' as well. On a winter's evening with nothing to do, a book to stimulate the imagination is a welcome way of passing time, and I'd expect it would be even more so on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

How could you leave out the Sharan Enigmas and the Seandar Royals? They're the up and coming teams.
Pfft, they'll have a hard time competing with the Seanchan Ravens this year. I heard they have a whole new team and coach.

Yeah, but I've heard he's got a very one-eyed view on the way the game should be played, AND rumour has it he was fired from his last coaching position due to gambling on the games.

And how about those Island Madmen? Didn't they just break out into the professional scene?

A.

The Cairhien Suns are in a bad spot. The team is always arguing with each other and there coach got fired for incompetency.

Was this after the Management team spent all of last season fighting over which seats they got in the dug-out?

A.

P.S: Just on a side note, how'd this turn into a WOT fantasy sports team round-up? I'm enjoying it hugely, but what happened to other people's idea's of Degree's that would be avalable in Randland? I have a few idea's, just don't have any idea how to word them.

• 1 month later...

Don't foget the up and comers,

...and finially Aiel Raiders.

A.

Just remember not to ask their lady fans to dance, as doing so may have unintended consequences.

I'd be more worried about their cheerleaders.

Does anyone know how the Lugard Merchants did against the Tarabon Legionaires?

A.

In a world where time is cyclical there is a lot of stuff written down by the time an age ends and another begins, so you know.. I mean it's easy to say that literacy levels were incredibly low in say the medieval period but so what? Everything was in Latin and there was no printing press. Certainly no 'fun' books like there are so many of in WoT and we of all people know how good reading is even compared to 3d HD Blueray 1080p madness.

Archived