DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Light Burn Me! : Annoying Female Characters

Barid Bel Medar

All of this debate about (poor) Mat's acuused abuse remindes me of that episode in South Park. And if i remember correctly RJ and Harriet both found it funny

for Mat to be the one who couldn't say no to woman , eventhough sexual abuse isn't a laughing matter.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egwene: Honestly, she's just too arrogant to be likeable. In LoC when she tries to manipulate Rand into acting how she wants, and turns around and gets angry with him when he shows her that he recognizes her attempts to control him. Seriously, Egwene. I hate you.

Nynaeve/Elayne - TSR/FoH: Their squabbling was getting ridiculous. Nynaeve was acting 10 years-old about every second thing, and when she wasn't doing that, Elayne was making up for the lack by looking down her nose at everyone and flirting with Thom.

Tuon: Takes the cake for most implausible woman to enjoy being with. Arrogant, cold, hypocritical, and bald. Good catch, Mat.

Latelle: Let's be honest. We all hate her.

EDIT

Well put by Jak o' the Shadows to bring up the hypocrisy of Elayne regarding the Mat/Tylin situation.

Elayne: You're forcing your attentions on the queen? You're disgraceful, gtfo.

Mat: She's practically raping me! You don't understand!

Elayne: Oh. Haha, silly Tylin.

I hate Cadsuane she is a horrible person she is a control freak like many of her sisters. However she appears to be in a class far and above any of the rest.

As a point to back this up one of my faverite scenes in the series would have to be Tam shutting down Cadsuane after he talks to Rand. Any time that overprusumptive punk can be put her in place is a great moment in the book.

And let me throw in Tuon for recking the best character in the books

I loved that scene!!!! I cried cause I was laughing so hard :biggrin: Cadsuane is terrible!!! The only female characters I like now are Birgitte, Min, Nynaeve and Aviendha mainly cause of their kicka** attitude :biggrin:

I kinda like Tuon but I kinda don't like her...that make sense?

I have always loved Aviendha, besides Mat and Rand she is my favorite character, outdistancing all other women besides Birgitte, who, let's be honest, is kinda a man.

Reading this thread though, I don't exactly know why I love Avi so much. Maybe it's because she's just a bada$$. I was very upset when Elayne started to influence her, especially because I hate Elayne with a burning passion.

Don't worry moratcorlm, I got what you meant.

I love Cadsuane, so you may not want to listen to me--but I loathe Therava and Sevanna.

I made my post assuming it was impossible for anyone to like any of the Shaido. Actually, I'll just say I hate every scheming, power-hungry woman in the series. Which amounts to almost every notable noble and 90% of the Aes Sedai.

This isn't to say I don't hate the scheming, power-hungry men in the series, though. No sexism here.

Also, I love Berelain. I wish I knew why.

Some might say that Cadsuane is the epitomy of AS arrogance. Myself however, think the exact opposite. She reminds me of old school rock. She is like Led Zeppelin, Queen, ACDC. Rocking badasses from back in the day where music was raw talent. The modern Aes Sedai however, are more in the category of Justin Beiber and those gay little Emo punk bands that think they are hardcore.

You, Sir, are a champion. :)

edit: as an aside, I love Egwene, especially as Amyrlin. She's not afraid of hard work, has loads of integrity and is not afraid to just 'do what must be done' - an excellent character trait that has taken her to the top of her game. People criticise her for her ambition and excellence, when I just see her as an Amyrlin, doesn't matter who she grew up with or where she came from. That's what Amyrlins do.

Yeah, it’s rape. If you reverse the genders there would be no one chuckling or saying otherwise. Which kinda points out where the double standard actually is.

While reading that part it's the thought that came to mind. One of the main female characters being held as a sex toy by a ruler. It would not have been possible to make it as light hearted.

Some might say that Cadsuane is the epitomy of AS arrogance. Myself however, think the exact opposite. She reminds me of old school rock. She is like Led Zeppelin, Queen, ACDC. Rocking badasses from back in the day where music was raw talent. The modern Aes Sedai however, are more in the category of Justin Beiber and those gay little Emo punk bands that think they are hardcore.

You, Sir, are a champion. :)

edit: as an aside, I love Egwene, especially as Amyrlin. She's not afraid of hard work, has loads of integrity and is not afraid to just 'do what must be done' - an excellent character trait that has taken her to the top of her game. People criticise her for her ambition and excellence, when I just see her as an Amyrlin, doesn't matter who she grew up with or where she came from. That's what Amyrlins do.

I just cant get over an 18 year old knowing better then 200 year old women. That's like a 10 year old taking over as boss where I work. Experience, especially when leading people is absolutely indispensable. To me she comes out as an obnoxious know it all who wont cooperate with anyone who wont eat out of her hands.

Egwene has "loads of integrity"? Are you serious? She broke her word to Wise Ones repeatedly by entering TAR on her own, she physically abused and scared out of her mind Nynaeve to cover up that lie (and never apologised or admitted this to Nynaeve), she resorted to blackmailing other Aes Sedai to force them to give her an oath of fealty. These certainly don't seem like the actions of someone with "loads of integrity" to me.

Oh, where to start.

I despise Nynaeve - she believes she is superior in any and everyway to other chanellers. She blames, or did, blame Moraine for everything, because she was too arrogant, and stupid to realize that the Two Rivers would have ceased to exist if they hadn't been taken away. The fact it took her too long to be honest to come realize this.

Egwene - Way too arrogant for someone of such a young age. How she managed to manipulate and out think Aes Sedai who have been in the Tower for many decades, when she has come from a backwater village is quite frankly staggering. But, she goes around with an air of holier-than-thou attitude which doesn't ring right.

Cadsuane - The one character I truly hate. She thinks she is better than anyone living. Her bully-boy actions show her to be a true coward. She can't talk to people she has to beat them to see her way, using the Power on Tam showed Cadsuane's real methods and ways. Her overuse of "boy" when speaking to men is grating, again it shows how she truly thinks. This is one person I would love to see die before Tarmon Gai'don.

Elayne - For the first book or two I liked her, a lot. but she's turned into something that isn't quite right. Maybe it's due to the "death" of her mother, she thinks she has to be hard to get Andor back on track. She is also way to smug, when she was "finding" and "learning" new weaves in Salidar from Moggy. I don't know, there is something a bit innocent though at times about Elayne, she does care about her friends.

Sevanna - pure evil. Enough said

Faile - oh god, Perrin what were you thinking? I think she should have stuck with her original hunter name, Mandarb that suits her better.

Tuon - She is simply cold. Believing that the Seanchan are right, right and right still. Her unfailing belief than all women who can channel must be collared is....dumb. She can't or doesn't wish to see that this is wrong on many levels and will cause the Seanchan problems. The way she sees "omens" everywhere shows her to trying to manipulate these "omens" to fit her views and thoughts so what she wants gets done because a frog croaked while sitting on a pond. another one I would willing see die.

But honestly I dont get too worked up with them.

Cadsuane I love as a character. She's badass. No hesitation, authoritative and imposing. That's what a bloody Aes Sedai should be. Not the screaming hair pulling sorority they've turned in to.

The rest of my concerns with the ladies has more to do with the situations they are put in to then the characters themselves.

Elayne's love for rand seems forced.

Nynaeve is Nynaeve and well she'd be quite bland if she wasnt as she is.

Faile?? I think I'm more pissed off at Perrin for everything always flying over his head and him never speaking out.

Egwene has "loads of integrity"? Are you serious? She broke her word to Wise Ones repeatedly by entering TAR on her own, she physically abused and scared out of her mind Nynaeve to cover up that lie (and never apologised or admitted this to Nynaeve), she resorted to blackmailing other Aes Sedai to force them to give her an oath of fealty. These certainly don't seem like the actions of someone with "loads of integrity" to me.

Ya. This made me :blink: too. I must look up the word Integrity again:

Ah, here it is in the Office paperback edition of The American Heritage dictionary:

integrity n. 1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code. 2. Soundness. 3. Completeness; unity.

Well, if we're talking about #1 she gets pretty low marks in the ethics department, and she puts on a pretty front (to the point of self-righteousness) in morality - though to be fair all of the young EF'ers (except Nynaeve maybe) has had naughty thoughts/fantasies at this point (probably even Perrin about the tinker girls or Berelain).

As for apologies, she has a total of four on record with two being unnecessary (her little confession to the WOs doesn't count since she only did so once she was leaving):

1. to Rand in EF when she thought he was going to loss his father, she even gave him 1 of 3 on screen hugs,

2. to Moraine when she thought she was wasting the AS's time,

3. to Loial when she thought she was wrong when she was actually right, and

4. to Mat when he asked for her advice and she couldn't help him

Not once has she apologized for something SHE has done nor even thought about it.

Archived