DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Selucia a man?

randsc

Are there any female Deathwatch that have been shown yet?

Selucia :biggrin:

Hahhah. No, I do not think we have. But we have only really seen a few from the 500 that Tuon has. And its not like women are not soldiers like the mainlanders. Tylee and Shipless were high ranking soldiers/navel captain. It stands to reason that there would be Deathwatch Guardswomen.

We'll see. I seem to remember some smug, "Occam's Razor" type comments about the fate of a particular character whose POV from the TOM prologue I can't discuss on the non-spoiler board.

I don't know that I really think that Selucia is a man, though it wouldn't shock me. But I predict that there is more to Selucia (pun intended) than we have seen so far.

Brandon wrote that part to make me look bad. Nothing anyone ever says will convince me otherwise. =)

Anyways, chalk me up as one of those who is in the "Selucia is just a secret body guard and not anything else" camp.

I wonder...

Some martial artist did crazy things to gain advantage in a fight, she may be far more mobile than she appears, maybe skilled in something like Capoeira, some hands and feet style combat that puts the Aiel to shame.

We'll see. I seem to remember some smug, "Occam's Razor" type comments about the fate of a particular character whose POV from the TOM prologue I can't discuss on the non-spoiler board.

I don't know that I really think that Selucia is a man, though it wouldn't shock me. But I predict that there is more to Selucia (pun intended) than we have seen so far.

Brandon wrote that part to make me look bad. Nothing anyone ever says will convince me otherwise. =)

Anyways, chalk me up as one of those who is in the "Selucia is just a secret body guard and not anything else" camp.

Well, that is what you get for not listening to my gut. All my years at DM, this is so farthe sweetest 'Told you so' I have hadbiggrin.gif

Big deal, so Selucia can fight. That's not really that surprising considering the maidens and cha'faile is it? We alreay know that Tuon can fight and almost broke Mat's arm. There are also women Seanchan generals (well at least one and I wouldn't think that Tylee is the only one) who have battle experience.

I suspect the reason she won't let anyone dress her is some lofty pride issue, not unlike Avienda in only allowing it to please Elayne but commenting on her fears of it making her soft.

Big deal, so Selucia can fight. That's not really that surprising considering the maidens and cha'faile is it? We alreay know that Tuon can fight and almost broke Mat's arm. There are also women Seanchan generals (well at least one and I wouldn't think that Tylee is the only one) who have battle experience.

I suspect the reason she won't let anyone dress her is some lofty pride issue, not unlike Avienda in only allowing it to please Elayne but commenting on her fears of it making her soft.

There are a ton of female fighters, Berelain, Faile, Brigitte, Min, Far Dareis Mai, etc.

The fact that women can fight is not the point, the point that Thom made a error in judging ONE specific woman is the issue. He THOUGHT he knew what Selucia was and was shocked to see that he had been fooled. He prides himself on being able to snoop out information and people's true motives and someone got one over him. He neve thought he could be wrong on something like that.

Most likely it is her fighting skills, but a very real second possibility is that she knows how to channel and used the power to take out the attackers.

If Tuon is capable of contolling damane, then Selucia could very well be a marath damane, that Tuon refuses to collar. Thom could mention this to Mat, and Mat would apply even more pressure to Tuon to release all damane, speeding the resoluton of that plot line

Most likely it is her fighting skills, but a very real second possibility is that she knows how to channel and used the power to take out the attackers.

If Tuon is capable of contolling damane, then Selucia could very well be a marath damane, that Tuon refuses to collar. Thom could mention this to Mat, and Mat would apply even more pressure to Tuon to release all damane, speeding the resoluton of that plot line

Mat's medallion doesn't go cold so, there was no channeling during the fight. We have Selucia's back-story as a trained secret bodyguard. Again, no mention there that she's marath-damane, or even sul'dam.

Mat's medallion doesn't go cold so, there was no channeling during the fight. We have Selucia's back-story as a trained secret bodyguard. Again, no mention there that she's marath-damane, or even sul'dam.

They were at the other end of the alley, the flows were not directed at Mat, Mat was distracted by half a dozen men trying to kill him, and not much of the power would have been needed to momentarily trip up an attacker to slide in a knife or two. It would explain her fierce, almost pet-like, loyalty, and that is exactly what Thom would have said, given those circumstances. Not to say it wasn't just her bad-assery; but, you know, just another possible meaning to Thom's reaction.

Just saying she is more likely to have the abilty to channel, than the ability to pee standing up...

Women can sense other women who can channel, and the Seanchan haven't rediscovered inverting their weaves or hiding their ability. It's pretty safe to say that she cannot channel.

Unless she's a man.

That is also defunct as Thom would not notice that about her, I don't think. He'd assume she could channel, but the only way he'd know is if he went to an Aes Sedai in the party and said, "I saw Selucia channel," in which case they'd probably go nuts on her. This did not happen.

Archived