DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Selucia a man?

randsc

I'e seen where people speculate that what Thom saw was that Selucia could fight. But that hardly seems like something that , "cannot be."

Although I suppose she could have channeled.

Doubtful. Mat would surely have noticed the medallion go cold, especially in the middle of a battle to protect Tuon.

I think she is not entirely human. My first thought was of Suroth and her lopar. Obviously Selucia isn't a lopar, but there is precedent for Seanchan blood having non-human bodyguards. I don't know if I'd call her a construct of the power (Selucia is a Gholam! Called it first! :p), but I think she's something.

I have to say that Selucia being a man is an interesting thought (and I do like it!), and would explain her odd behavior well enough, but I agree with the sentiment that the "cannot be" must refer to something else. Unless Thom was just referring to her prowess in battle, but that seems weak since I once again don't see how that "cannot be."

Could something as simple as an extraordinarily talented female bodyguard being able to kick some Darkfriend butt be something that "cannot be"? I really find that hard to believe.

I thought it WAS confirmed that it was because she could fight and fight well at that. That she was a "undercover" bodyguard and not just a lady's servant as she appears and thus "cannot be just a servant". She could very well be hiding as many daggers on her as Mat does and thus doesn't want servants whispering about a woman carrying an armoury worth of daggers on her.

I thought it WAS confirmed that it was because she could fight and fight well at that. That she was a "undercover" bodyguard and not just a lady's servant as she appears and thus "cannot be just a servant". She could very well be hiding as many daggers on her as Mat does and thus doesn't want servants whispering about a woman carrying an armoury worth of daggers on her.

Yeah, thats it. WE see from Tuon's PoV that Selucia is not just her so'jinn but personal bodyguard. It is supposed to be kept secret (I suppose so the enemy is suprised when Selucia goes ninja on their assess. Thom saw her owning in the fight outside the Hell, and promised to keep it secret. It becomes even more obvious when Rand meets Tuon in tGS. He sees that she is Tuon's bodyguard but she tries to deny it. Trying to keep it secret.

Thats all it is.

My question was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But I maintain that there is something unusual about Selucia, physically.

I don't buy that all Thom saw was that she could fight. Thom certainly wouldn't consider a woman who could fight to be impossible, nor would that old player of the Game be surprised by a hidden, female bodyguard. Something that, "Cannot be" is something bigger than that.

Or, I suppose, a hermaphrodite? Will this be revealed in the TOM?

Surely she should be able to link with herself and kick anyones ass. And when I say kick...

Not sure if you're serious, but that would be hilarious. So THAT'S what Thom noticed... ;-)

Offscreen he did a mancheck and she passed.

My question was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But I maintain that there is something unusual about Selucia, physically.

I don't buy that all Thom saw was that she could fight. Thom certainly wouldn't consider a woman who could fight to be impossible, nor would that old player of the Game be surprised by a hidden, female bodyguard. Something that, "Cannot be" is something bigger than that.

He doesn't find a woman that can fight to be impossible, it's that he finds it surprising that SELUCIA is a fighter. She did not seem the type and had him fooled in that sense which is what Toun and Selucia want.

Maybe. I still say it is inconsistent with Thom's character for him to be surprised that Selucia can fight.

He's not surprised she can fight - he's surprised that he hadn't realised this earlier.

It's not at all inconsistent with Thom's character to be surprised that he hadn't ferreted out this secret.

(Not surprising - only two people knew and neither had any need to talk about it.)

Amazing! First people speculate Selucia was a secret marath'damane and then, they decide she was a 'he' on the basis of a statement that is easily understood if you just remember that she's a trained bodyguard and Tuon's second-last line of personal defence as is clearly explained in WH.

Psst - is everyone sure Selucia's not Mazrim Taim in disguise?

Maybe. I still say it is inconsistent with Thom's character for him to be surprised that Selucia can fight.

He's not surprised she can fight - he's surprised that he hadn't realised this earlier.

It's not at all inconsistent with Thom's character to be surprised that he hadn't ferreted out this secret.

(Not surprising - only two people knew and neither had any need to talk about it.)

Amazing! First people speculate Selucia was a secret marath'damane and then, they decide she was a 'he' on the basis of a statement that is easily understood if you just remember that she's a trained bodyguard and Tuon's second-last line of personal defence as is clearly explained in WH.

Psst - is everyone sure Selucia's not Mazrim Taim in disguise?

Agreed, you throw in what we know of Thom how he prides himself as a Master of the Game of Houses and he's shocked at himself for failing to figure that out and that Selucia had pulled one over on Thom.

Seriously, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Occum's Razor will save many from constant dissapointments and let downs.

We'll see. I seem to remember some smug, "Occam's Razor" type comments about the fate of a particular character whose POV from the TOM prologue I can't discuss on the non-spoiler board.

I don't know that I really think that Selucia is a man, though it wouldn't shock me. But I predict that there is more to Selucia (pun intended) than we have seen so far.

We'll see. I seem to remember some smug, "Occam's Razor" type comments about the fate of a particular character whose POV from the TOM prologue I can't discuss on the non-spoiler board.

I don't know that I really think that Selucia is a man, though it wouldn't shock me. But I predict that there is more to Selucia (pun intended) than we have seen so far.

Yeah we will get to see exactly what Thom saw. The skill set of someone who spent 25 years of hard training as a secret bodyguard. It is exactly what has been mentioned already, a beautiful, curvy, unarmed chief maid putting down numerous weapon wielding assailants is a bit of a shocker. The whole "sometimes I see" bit was just Thom's way of saying your secret is safe with me.

Archived