DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which of The Seven Ajahs do you feel has been MOST Underused in the series?

The Fisher King

I read the ''Disapointed in the Green Ajah'' thread. Really interesting.

It got me thinking. It got me thinking about things that maybe Jordan just didn't have time to detail throughout the series, and perhaps, after strong early impressions, sorta got left dangling - or forgotten about. (The Eye of the World anyone??? - I mean the *actual* Eye itself).

Lots of examples, sadly, fit this category, but, for some reason I find myself thinking more about Aes Sedai lately, as the end nears. Aes Sedai. Something Ive spent soooo much of the series being unimpressed and annoyed by.

I think it has been Luckers - and others - recently talking about a sense of hoping that they may yet achieve some sort of realistic redemption before its all over.

I think I am joining that camp. I'd like to see it too. But, I find myself looking back, before forward...back at what a big deal was made out of assigning such distinctions to each of the seven Ajahs in the beginning.

So. My Look Back At The Seven Ajahs and Their Significance - Or Lack Of - In Books 1 - 12.

1 The Blues. My sentimental favorite. And, they have to be seen ultimately as Significant and Sucsessful - despite the overthrow of the first Blue in generations. Moiraine Damodred FOUND The DRAGON REBORN. That alone catapults the Blues.

2 The Red. I may heavily despise them, but they HAVE been very, very significant to the plot and well-detailed by Jordan. I also love the character development of Teslyn.

3 The Browns. Well, Verin Mathwin was a Brown - shouldn't that be Enough Said, lol?

4 The Green. ... Ahhh. The Greens. ... A tricky one for me. I share disapointment in them. I also despise Alanna - and she is of the Green. However, we are not AT the end yet, and I have a sneaky suspicion the Greens DAY IS COMING!...Remember, Tarmon Gai'don is quite literally what the Green Ajah was born for.

5 The Yellow. ... Not alot of significance to WOT so far, but that can be forgiven. They are healers. Their job isn't to fight The Last Battle or deal with Kings and Queens. ... But, they have NOT been insignificant. Nesune is a Yellow, right? She helped Heal the Dragon Reborn, right? Also, in Book 3, weren't a fair number of Yellow in the group that Healed possibly the second post important man ever born??? (Mat).

6 The Whites ... Ahhh... Am I the only ones that got a bad vibe from them? Not bad like ''Dark Friend''/''Blacj Ajah'' bad - just, off a bit. For all their cool serenity, they always struck me as a bit nuts. And not ONLY because of their ''Mad Plan'' either. ... I will confess that I find them laughably incompetent as well. ... These ''Masters of Diplomacy'' make a dog's dinner so often its scary. ... Here's a question: Has the White's ''Mastery of Diplomacy'' EVER accomplished ONE beneficial goal in the series?

7 The Gray. I'll be honest. After the GLOSSARY in the very FIRST BOOK - Are they even MENTIONED ever, ever, EVER again, LOL??? I can't name one. I can't name one impact on the series they've had. ... Burn me, but I don't even remember what they DO - LOL!!!

...................................SO...........................My final rankings of the seven Ajah place the Blues as most significant and productive and beneficial through WOT's first twelve books with the Reds coming in second, the Greens inspiring me to believe that their best is yet to come, the Browns as INCREDIBLY helpful and significant, the Yellows seeming unappreciated and undervalued to me and the Whites coming in second to last imo as the biggest dopes ever with the Gray in the bottom spot of insignificance.

Those are MY rankings, lol! :)

What are YOURS?

Fish

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you please atleast be bothered to reread what you have so obviously skipped over detailing the Ajahs before typing up a thread as specific as this? No hard feelings but does it not seem important to you to understand something enough to have a complete opinion before asking other people to share their opinions? Five minutes in the glossary of any of the WoT books is all I'm asking.

*So I just realized the Ajah's are not described in the glossary... You win this time, Fish. :wink:

Could you please atleast be bothered to reread what you have so obviously skipped over detailing the Ajahs before typing up a thread as specific as this? No hard feelings but does it not seem important to you to understand something enough to have a complete opinion before asking other people to share their opinions? Five minutes in the glossary of any of the WoT books is all I'm asking.

*So I just realized the Ajah's are not described in the glossary... You win this time, Fish. :wink:

Haldi, this probably isn't shocking, but: I am SO Completely lost by your Post that a Map made by GOD wouldn't help me LOL!

I avoided Spoilers, right???

P.S. Also, I wasn't trying to list the function of the Ajahs - I was trying to give MY impression on how each Ajah carried out those functions in the first 12 books...I wasn trying to ''Rank'' them ;)

Fish

Your list is pretty much spot on, except that Grays were involved in the negotiations with the Windfinders for the Bowl of the Winds. Which is one more thing than Whites have accomplished.

Really though, aside from less than 10 Aes Sedai with major accomplishments and another 10 with minor accomplishments, they are all disappointing. The fact that one person (Verin) is enough to catapult her entire Ajah into third place for significance should really tell you everything you need to know.

Egwene, Nynaeve, Siuan, Moiraine, Verin, and Cadsuane are the only Aes Sedai who I can think of that I feel have been absolutely critical in the story, in any sort of a unique way (ie besides being at the right place at the right time once to heal Rand, stop a bad guy, etc). By the sounds of it, Pevara might get herself added to this list before all is said and done. There are some others that have provided lesser benefit (Elayne, Leane, and even Silviana for example), but the vast majority of Aes Sedai have so far proven less significant than Laras.

Your list is pretty much spot on, except that Grays were involved in the negotiations with the Windfinders for the Bowl of the Winds. Which is one more thing than Whites have accomplished.

Really though, aside from less than 10 Aes Sedai with major accomplishments and another 10 with minor accomplishments, they are all disappointing. The fact that one person (Verin) is enough to catapult her entire Ajah into third place for significance should really tell you everything you need to know.

Egwene, Nynaeve, Siuan, Moiraine, Verin, and Cadsuane are the only Aes Sedai who I can think of that I feel have been absolutely critical in the story, in any sort of a unique way (ie besides being at the right place at the right time once to heal Rand, stop a bad guy, etc). By the sounds of it, Pevara might get herself added to this list before all is said and done. There are some others that have provided lesser benefit (Elayne, Leane, and even Silviana for example), but the vast majority of Aes Sedai have so far proven less significant than Laras.

CTK and Torn Shadow:

First, Torn Shadow: Thanks for clearing me up on the Grays and the Whites. Ok, but, then: other than walk around being ''Logical'', what have the Whites done, lol???

CTK: I like your list of Aes Sedai you feel were integral, but I'd add a few:

1 Elaida: Shes an idiot and despicable (and crazy and delusional and meglomaniacal) but she was very much a significant plot-driver.

2 Alanna - Even though I feel RJ lost his way with her, Bonding the Dragon Reborn *is* a very, very significant event to occur during the first twelve books.

3 Teslyn: Just because I like her and I think she is the ONE Ray of Light for her entire Ajah.

So, I guess Im saying that even when they are not doing NICE things...or GOOD things, some Sisters HAVE done some *Significant* things...I think Elaida is the perfect example of this.

But, I still feel, as you seem to, CTK Shadow, that WAY too few of them have shown any competency at all so far.

I smell:

1 Redemption coming.

2 Or, who knows? Maybe Taim and the Ashaman will just waste them all before its all said and done.

3 Or, maybe Pevara DOES turn out to be a Bad-A$$

My suspicion? Probably a combination of all three.

Can't wait for TOM :)

Fish

Well, there are a lot of Aes Sedai. Not all of them can be awesome. Ten with major accomplishments and ten with minor ones still adds up to twenty characters that have distinguished themselves in some way. Not sure we've gotten that many from any other group, except maybe the Aiel if you count them all together.

As for the ajah that's been the most underused, it's definitely the White. We hardly have a glimpse of them functioning in their roles as mistresses of Logic. I suppose they're expected to be somewhat aloof by nature, but really all we've seen of them on the job is the brief conversation Egwene caught in KoD while visiting Leane, between the two Whites who are discussing the correct way to determine the increased rate of food spoilage.

CTK and Torn Shadow:

First, Torn Shadow: Thanks for clearing me up on the Grays and the Whites. Ok, but, then: other than walk around being ''Logical'', what have the Whites done, lol???

CTK: I like your list of Aes Sedai you feel were integral, but I'd add a few:

1 Elaida: Shes an idiot and despicable (and crazy and delusional and meglomaniacal) but she was very much a significant plot-driver.

2 Alanna - Even though I feel RJ lost his way with her, Bonding the Dragon Reborn *is* a very, very significant event to occur during the first twelve books.

3 Teslyn: Just because I like her and I think she is the ONE Ray of Light for her entire Ajah.

Fair enough, though I should perhaps have specified that I was more talking about accomplishments borne from competence, rather than incompetence. It could be argued that the Blacks would have split the tower with or without Elaida, but if a less incompetent Amyrlin had been selected, the tower might still be divided, so in that respect Elaida is absolutely critical. She failed so badly that she forced the hands of other, more competent players. As for Alanna, she isn't really significant per se. Any Aes Sedai could have bound Rand against his will, which would have accomplished the same thing (alienating Rand, giving him a weakness). As for Teslyn, I think I missed something because everyone seems in love with her lately. Is it just the events at the end of ToM chpt 8 or do we have some other reason to expect big things from her?

As far as my feeling that 20 or so notable characters are not significant from among the Aes Sedai, it is true that this is still an impressive number in general. However, as a percentage of total named Aes Sedai, it's very poor. Look at it in reverse...How many Aiel have disappointed you? How many Kin? How many Seanchan? How many from the two rivers? ....how many Aes Sedai? Even the forsaken are generally individually competent, even if they are possibly equally disappointing as a whole.

Well, there are a lot of Aes Sedai. Not all of them can be awesome. Ten with major accomplishments and ten with minor ones still adds up to twenty characters that have distinguished themselves in some way. Not sure we've gotten that many from any other group, except maybe the Aiel if you count them all together.

As for the ajah that's been the most underused, it's definitely the White. We hardly have a glimpse of them functioning in their roles as mistresses of Logic. I suppose they're expected to be somewhat aloof by nature, but really all we've seen of them on the job is the brief conversation Egwene caught in KoD while visiting Leane, between the two Whites who are discussing the correct way to determine the increased rate of food spoilage.

Good points, except that I just can't credit the high number of Aes Sedai ''accomplishments'' (a number I dispute, btw) simply because the number of them is so much higher than most other ''groups'' in the story. Even a few blind squirrels will turn up a few acorns, now and then.

At the beginning of Book 1, How many Sisters should we posit are IN the White Tower?

Lets say...300.

There are only 3 Ta'veren. 0 Ashaman (at this point) and 0 Aiel on Rand's side of the Spine of the World (at this point).

So, yeah, there will be some things achieved out of 300 Aes Sedai. It still doesn't speak to me of their competence, however.

And I strongly disagree with ''10 - 20'' being an accurate number of Aes Sedai who have achieved significantly positive achievments for Team Rand. I find it high, as an estimate.

If I wanted to be reeeeaaaally stingy, I could argue the number at 2: Verin, Moiraine (who also killed a Forsaken - Be'lal) and leave it there.

See why I really would like to see them achieve some bit of redemption before its all over?

Fish

Hi all, first time poster here.

I feel compelled (hmm, maybe this word has unnecessarily filthy connotations in a WOT thread =p) to argue the claim that Grays have been underused in this series. In LoC alone, we encounter three major plot-arcs with Grays at the center: Merana leads the Salidar embassy to Rand in Caemlyn; Coiren leads the Tower's embassy, at least until the end; and Merilille is in charge of the Ebou Dar delegation, and I feel her character is especially well developed. Other Grays integral to multi-book plots that I can name off the top of my head include:

1. Annoura

2. Yukiri (always thought she was adorable for some reason)

3. Meidani (felt particularly worried for this woman in tGS with Elaida's creepy abuse of her and all)

4. Beonin

5. Delana (.... Ew)

I feel like I could be the devil's advocate and say at least a few things about the Whites and Yellows, though not nearly as much as the Grays I suppose. I should perhaps also clarify that I interpreted you as asking "which Ajah has been most underused" in the series, not "which Ajah has been LEAST USEFUL," for which perhaps none of the Aes Sedai listed above fit the bill.

I've got to go with The White Ajah. They seem completely out of touch with reality, and their "logic" always has holes in it big enough to drive a freight train through.

I concur on the faulty logic. Also, Vulcans suck. Vulcan Aes Sedai more so.

I'm not sure which is the least used, they are all kind of used pretty evenly among supporting characters.

The White I think has failed the most of all that Ajah--it was their job to ask the hard questions, things like 'The Tower is dwindling. Should we consider opening the novice book?' But they didn't.

That being said if they get back to their mission they might have a lot to offer--i mean if they set about analysing the Oaths for instance....

Alviarin has been a major Character who did quite a big deal. Unfortunately, that wasn't for one of the seven Ajah. My ranking would be :

1- Reds. They have been plot-related since book one and influenced the story extensilvely, if not only by Elaida. Special mention to Teslyn, Pevara, Silviana.

2- Black I add them to my list because they were responsible for many thing. Tear, Tanchico, Rand capture, the Vileness. Special mention to Alviarin, Elza, Sheriam.

3- Blues except Moiraine and Siuan, I don't remember hearing about a Blue dedicated to a significant cause. Their accomplishment are mostly backgroung importance. Minor plot related.

4- Grays They did stuffs. We hear about the Toman compact, we see them negociating with the rebel in Tear, the Windfinder (not a little deal), and are generally useful. Special mention to Merillile, Merana.

5- Greens The battle Ajah that lost the fight of the year. Unprepared, arrogant. Yet they do things. Whether it is relevant is another question. Special mention to Cadsuane, Alanna, Joline (yeah, she didn't do a lot. Her plot was good because Mat was there :) )

6- Browns They have vast knowledges, but don't share them with others, which is quite silly, as it is their main goal, arm the world with knowledge. Special mention to Verin, Saerin, Takima (the Law of War bit)

7- Yellows One of the most important purpose of all the Ajahs, i.e Healing. Yet we don't see much of those healing except Nynaeve and Samitsu.

8-Whites I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with the White Ajah. Are they really so irrelevant? Why do they search logic without flaw if they don't adapt it to what is useful? A little reflexion, a minimum of logic and knowledge of the Power, and you'll have new weaves of the Power. But no. They study arithmetic... A failure. Special mention to Seaine.

The whites are a huge dissapointment.

So many of the problems in the Tower that could be solved with simple applications of logic seem to be lost to them.

The "mad plan" to mate with male channelers is a good example of the kind of thing that would have been nice to see from the White Ajah on a more frequent basis. Things that defy cultural or traditional norms, but go beyond those short sighted limits to see solutions to a bigger problem.

Sadly, we see moments like this every once in a while from some Whites, but they are little more then background noise when a chorus of Aes Sedai opinions are being thrown around. For instance, the Whites should be right there supporting the idea to discontinuing use of the Oath Rod, but I doubt they will be. Under normal circumstances it use is debatably at best. With the Last Battle at thier doorstep, it's continued use is utterly illogical.

The dissapointments with the Greens is a little surprising. It seems as though thier standards are higher because of thier stated purpose. Because Cadsuane alone has been one of the most effective and influenctial characters since book 7. No matter how much some of you might hate her, saving the life of, teaching, and ultimately bringing the Dragon back from the brink of distruction is a pretty good list of accomplishments....

The White I think has failed the most of all that Ajah--it was their job to ask the hard questions, things like 'The Tower is dwindling. Should we consider opening the novice book?' But they didn't.

That being said if they get back to their mission they might have a lot to offer--i mean if they set about analysing the Oaths for instance....

I shall contradict you (no! Please don't kill me in your wrath, Luckers! :) ), they proposed a solution for the dwindling : their Mad Plan :D

But on the other hand, I agree with you. They could be very useful as gardian of the True selves of Aes Sedai. If they thought about the Oaths, the situation of the White Tower, the state of the World, and all, they could do things thag could be important.

I shall contradict you (no! Please don't kill me in your wrath, Luckers! :) ), they proposed a solution for the dwindling : their Mad Plan :D

But on the other hand, I agree with you. They could be very useful as gardian of the True selves of Aes Sedai. If they thought about the Oaths, the situation of the White Tower, the state of the World, and all, they could do things thag could be important.

That men who can channel be bred? As Verin points out it is not a very effective plan. And, in terms of their blindness, it is a safe plan. It requires no great effort on behalf of the Aes Sedai. When Verin suggested the opposite, that Aes Sedai breed, it got short shrift with the White.

A thing I find quite peculiar in WOT is the very inflexible nature of the Ajahs, since it really doesn't make sense for a person to dedicate a lifetime of several centuries to a single career path. One result of this is that most of the Aes Sedai we see are not heavily tied to their Ajah purposes. A second is that the Brown, White and Grey Ajahs seem less important, simply because pure scholars, philosophers and lawyers tend to be insular, and just aren't that exciting to read about.

A more natural situation would have an Aes Sedai belong to different Ajahs over her lifetime as her interests and goals changed. I believe one of Ishamael/Moridin's POVs suggests that the AOL Ajah was a more transient thing.

-- dwn

Im happy with the Blue Ajah for Moiraines dedication to finding the Dragon Reborn, and Suians involvement in that. The Blue Ajah I think have been represented very well. Also, I think the Red Ajah, despite Elaidas antagonistic input, has been represented well. They are dedicated to dealing with male channelers and they have done plenty of that.

Cadsuane, with what she did at the Cleansing alone, gave me everything I ever wanted from the Green Ajah. The Ashaman at Dumais Wells put up a great defense system against the Shaido army and their pesky Wise Ones, but Cadsuane coordinated incredible tactics at the Cleansing against the Chosen! She was my favorite Aes Sedai for a while because of how well she represents her Ajah, and just her general kickass manner right up til the end of KoD. KoD was an awesome book, what with Cadsuanes thunder and the forming of the Bashere-Logain-Loial trio.

The Yellows lack of direct involvement is understandable. Clearly the knowledge that was lost in the Breaking crippled the Aes Sedai in many ways and when an Ajah like the Yellow, who once might have been able to do amazing things with the Power, lose their knowledge they are left almost incapanle in comparison. Obviously that is important to Nynaeves development as well, she is like a renewal of everything the Yellows might have lost, she even knows most of what there is to know about herbs and whatnot. She could be head of the Yellows in the rebuilding of the White Tower after Tarmon Gaidon.

The Browns I think have also been represented well by Verin, she knows her fair share of the prophecies, she knows the game well, and the way she reacted to the Black Ajah thing and the effect that had are surely as worthy a representation of the Brown Ajahs organisational skills as we have had so far. Good lass Verin.

This is going to sound really wierd. I think Alviarin is a brilliant representation of both the White Ajah AND Black Ajah. She is one of my favorite Aes Sedai also, I think shes guna be working at the Black Tower with Taim, overseeing the Aes Sedai who are Compulsion-bonded to the Ashaman. Alviarin could do some damage with those Aes Sedai I think, female Oathbound channelers who are unable to lie AND unable to speak of anything the Darkfriend Ashaman told them not to! Hahaha, Alviarin should send them back to the Tower as sisters who have been in the field throughout the recent Tower troubles, and work some damage through those Aes Sedai who can still legally say they arent Darkfriends and cant say why theyre doing the bad stuff because of the way the bad dudes are using the Compulsion bonds!

I cant really remembers anything about the Greys doing anything. Negotiators, meant to deal with rulers and whatnot, but there have been Ta'veren about and Darkfriends and whatnot, so even if the Greys did have some involvement theyd have a hard job.

I dont think Im unhappy with any of the Ajahs to be honest. I wouldnt mind it if the Reds refurbished to be the Ajah to work directly with male channelers and research the possibility of saidin-saidar rituals and circles.

Im happy with the Blue Ajah for Moiraines dedication to finding the Dragon Reborn, and Suians involvement in that. The Blue Ajah I think have been represented very well. Also, I think the Red Ajah, despite Elaidas antagonistic input, has been represented well. They are dedicated to dealing with male channelers and they have done plenty of that.

Cadsuane, with what she did at the Cleansing alone, gave me everything I ever wanted from the Green Ajah. The Ashaman at Dumais Wells put up a great defense system against the Shaido army and their pesky Wise Ones, but Cadsuane coordinated incredible tactics at the Cleansing against the Chosen! She was my favorite Aes Sedai for a while because of how well she represents her Ajah, and just her general kickass manner right up til the end of KoD. KoD was an awesome book, what with Cadsuanes thunder and the forming of the Bashere-Logain-Loial trio.

The Yellows lack of direct involvement is understandable. Clearly the knowledge that was lost in the Breaking crippled the Aes Sedai in many ways and when an Ajah like the Yellow, who once might have been able to do amazing things with the Power, lose their knowledge they are left almost incapanle in comparison. Obviously that is important to Nynaeves development as well, she is like a renewal of everything the Yellows might have lost, she even knows most of what there is to know about herbs and whatnot. She could be head of the Yellows in the rebuilding of the White Tower after Tarmon Gaidon.

The Browns I think have also been represented well by Verin, she knows her fair share of the prophecies, she knows the game well, and the way she reacted to the Black Ajah thing and the effect that had are surely as worthy a representation of the Brown Ajahs organisational skills as we have had so far. Good lass Verin.

This is going to sound really wierd. I think Alviarin is a brilliant representation of both the White Ajah AND Black Ajah. She is one of my favorite Aes Sedai also, I think shes guna be working at the Black Tower with Taim, overseeing the Aes Sedai who are Compulsion-bonded to the Ashaman. Alviarin could do some damage with those Aes Sedai I think, female Oathbound channelers who are unable to lie AND unable to speak of anything the Darkfriend Ashaman told them not to! Hahaha, Alviarin should send them back to the Tower as sisters who have been in the field throughout the recent Tower troubles, and work some damage through those Aes Sedai who can still legally say they arent Darkfriends and cant say why theyre doing the bad stuff because of the way the bad dudes are using the Compulsion bonds!

I cant really remembers anything about the Greys doing anything. Negotiators, meant to deal with rulers and whatnot, but there have been Ta'veren about and Darkfriends and whatnot, so even if the Greys did have some involvement theyd have a hard job.

I dont think Im unhappy with any of the Ajahs to be honest. I wouldnt mind it if the Reds refurbished to be the Ajah to work directly with male channelers and research the possibility of saidin-saidar rituals and circles.

Drekka = GREAT Post! ... I also have not given up all hope on the Red, just yet. I am still on record as STILL being a ''C.S.S.'' (Cadsuane Sedai Supporter)

Fish

Archived