DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

tEotW - My first read

Dralid

How accurate are Dralid's observations?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How accurate are Dralid's observations?

• Surprisingly good
    • Within the ballpark
    • A gem here and there
    • Is he reading the same book as us?
    • Stop making polls and get back to reading!

Oh I'm not saying commenting on your observations, or teasing you shouldn't happen. As you say, it's the genuine interest of the community and the potential for discussion that makes this all worthwhile. At the same time, if you already knew everything that was going to happen and the definitive interpretation of every passage you read, then there really aren't any observations or predictions left for you to make. It's a delicate balance. A lot of people would think something say, like explaining how the One Power works couldn't be a spoiler, or whether the One Power does or doesn't do this or that thing. However, there could be major plot points revolving around something like that, and you'd be telegraphing it for the sake of explaining something that is explained in the text a few pages later. Then again, if you're confused about something and would like an answer, I wouldn't expect anyone to deny you it. But at the same time, I imagine you chose to read the story, not have it told to you.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Alanna Well of course you're not tracking scum, you're following me! :P

I apologize for not getting to Chapter 13 earlier. Life just keeps getting in the way. After all, no matter how good this book is, I can't let it get in the way of more important things.  :'(

Chapter 13

- Ooh, a map!

- I'm worried about Moiraine. She is using an awful lot of power. There are two things that could happen: she runs out of power at a crucial moment, or two someone else kills her to prove how more powerful they are.

- More Moiraine's shadows under her eyes are not a good omen.

- So many names and yet Lan goes out of his way to point out that his horse's name means blade in Old Tongue. Probably nothing...

- Same for Moiraine's horse, means 'Westwind'.

- Oh no, Mat! How could you? I liked you! Okay so we're on the road north and Lan is going out of his way to avoid towns and villages. But RJ goes out of his way to point out a conversation Perrin and Mat have about an innocuous little house. Perrin says that they are the same as the ones in Two Rivers, Mat insists that they must somehow be different. Such blind discrimination does not bode well for Mat. In conjunction with his slightly different take on some stories, it does not bode well for him. At minimum, this will eventually cause some distension between him and the group. Worse, it may be the basis of him "going to the dark side", or something similar.

Ch 3: Mat has an interesting idea floating in his head, that the dragon would save the world in its hour of need. In contrast to everyone else who sees the dragon as the bringer of doom. My guess; both are right.

- More alluding that Rand may have magic potential. Lan practically confirms half a page later.

- With the way that Egwene and Rand are fighting I'm gonna reiterate my earlier statement: Nothing good can come from a Ch 1 crush. They will part ways before the end of this book, and she will return after he has had time to grow up a little and then she will play her part in a love triangle.

- Lan "Ya know. I think we may have lost them for good" jeez, why don't you say 'what could possibly go wrong' as well?!

- Mat: "Stop worrying about Trollocs and stuff" Why do you keep saying things that make me worry about you?

- Moiraine: "Before I let the Dark One have you, I will destroy you myself" = The dark one will be tempting one of the three...

- Apparently there were two women in Two Rivers who had magical talent. Please don't let it be Nynaeve. The only other woman of note is mistress al'Vere. Were there any other named women from Two Rivers? Possibly Rand's biological mother, if RJ wants to twist this into an explanation for why Rand will have magic, but that would mean that Moiraine knows of Rand's mother. Moiraine said her path lies in another direction, which among other things suggests that she's not dead.

- Moiraine: "You must not even think of the Dark One" dang it! I just lost 'The Game'. I was doing so well!

- Moiraine = Alys, Lan = Andra. Got it.

- Ooooooh Whitecloaks.... Let's see if my predictive powers are still up to snuff. I'm guessing that they will be found wearing some form of cape, perhaps ivory or eggshell in color.

- Rand and Thom are talking about a town named Tear. I'm reading it as she shed a tear, not as in the plot will tear Rand and Egwene apart. Someone clarify?

- Thom is going on about things the Dragon will do. Apparently one of them is wield the Sword That Cannot Be Touched. It's been on my mental back burner for a while, but could Rand be the Dragon? Sure there's already someone claiming that role, but that could be false. We know that Rand probably will have strong magic powers, maybe he can wield the True Source, we know that in his dream he had a gathering of followers, could they be the People of the Dragon? He has his father's sword, so we will probably be a swordsman, Will that enable him to wield the Sword That Cannot Be Touched? Food for thought.

Crap... your good... on some things at least. I wont say which of course.  :-X

But dont get a big head, on others you are still waaaaaaaaaaaaay out  :D

Ooooooh Whitecloaks.... Let's see if my predictive powers are still up to snuff. I'm guessing that they will be found wearing some form of cape, perhaps ivory or eggshell in color.

hahahahaha

Rand and Thom are talking about a town named Tear. I'm reading it as she shed a tear, not as in the plot will tear Rand and Egwene apart. Someone clarify?

Look at the glossary at the back of the book. it has names, descriptions and pronounciation. However, in this case, I shall tell you. But look up in the back, its a good way of keeping track of names and places.

Tear is "teer" so you got it right.

My jaw drops at some of the conclusions you make.  Others, my sides ache from laughing at.  I am looking so forward to you getting further into the story.  Some of your ideas bear fruit soon, some relatively soon.  (i.e. book 13 of 12 is coming out soon, with a fourteenth after that.)  Also, very very jealous that you should not have to wait but once.

Incredible... I like your viewpoint. I should say that it's very funny, because I lol'd at how far away you were on some topics, and smiled at how accurate you are sometimes in your reasoning. Very observant. Logical. Yet you already get attached/crazed to some character, corrupting your thought. Well, that's how I see it :p

Lol'd too at "dang it! I just lost "The game". I was doing it so well!" ;)

What is funny too, is that you hit interesting hints, think quite clear about it, but partially miss it :)

Keep going on! Don't get tainted by any spoiler (hope there is none in my post. Would be a double shame! -_-').

>.> I just lost the game! GAO. Very good insights, can't wait to see the next chapter!

Actually, this makes me want to go check out the book to read it again. Bah! Don't get me started on another reread! NO!

I just made it and reread the chapter. I couldn't find all those clues and hints and all. In fact, as far as I remember, I never foresaw anything... I just read and let me be driven by the story. It's after finishing it and rereading them all a lot, and going on forums, that I just started analyzing every sentence.

But when reding the Mistborn trilogy, I made as Dralid is doing. Trying to discover what is hiden. And I must admit that Dralid is far mire competent than me in this.

• 1 month later...

I've only gotten a single new chapter, and I'll post it after work today. I've been frittering the DM8 update time, but now my project is back on. My goal is minimum 1 chapter/week, with an average of 3 chapters/week.

Warning: Recap Dump

Between Readings

- It says that the Dragon is chased by the Aes Sedai. I've postulated that Rand may be the Dragon, and that Egwene is clearly set up to be a very powerful Aes Sedai. I've also mentioned a thing or two about love triangles...

- It has also crossed my mind that Thom Merrilian may be an agent of the Dark One, He clearly doesn't like Lan and Moiraine, but insisted on traveling with them. But I like Thom so I will think no more of this.

Chapter 14

- Communal bathing? Hippies. :P

- Mat clearly cannot take a hint on the whole 'don't talk about the trollocs' thing.

- Neither can Perrin it seems as well.

- AGGHHH, not another dream!

- Stones that look like faces out of the corner of the eye? A mirror that blurs Rand's reflection? Darned surrealism.

- This whole place has a kind of hell aura to it. The man has a very Satan-like feel to him, 'specially with the whole furnaces in his mouth thing.

- Ba'alzamon = Ba'al, Lord of Demons. Real stretch on that one... and apparently this is another name for the Dark One. No surprise. How many names does one entity need? Leave some names for the rest of us!

- Amyrlyn Seat. Okay, more names that mean nothing without some more context! Yay! And then five more names, Logain is mentioned.... Isn't he the Dragon (or False Dragon)? The name of the man currently claiming to be the Dragon eludes me...

- Lews Kinslayer is mentioned again. This Ba'alzamon guy sure has some long-term plans.

- It goes on like this, two things of note though: this guy has a long history and sure likes to hear himself talk.

- It is a dream, by the way, but to quote Albus Dumbledore, “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Chapter 15

- Dead rats. Meh. Parlor Trick. Driving the point home Ba'alzamon?

- Perin, too. Interesting. It means Ba'alzamon knows less than he'd like people to think. Probably Mat, too. But maybe Mat drank from the cup... :(

- Min.... Better than a dream, at least:

- Sparks of light, fighting with darkness: Battle between good and evil, and these are high stakes players.

- Rand and Egwene, in love of course, but there's more to this, this bodes well with the Aes Sedai and Dragon theory.

- Lan: seven ruined towers.... interesting...

- Lan: Babe in a cradle holding a sword - Rand's bio dad?

- Thom: a man juggling fire and white tower? Perhaps plays into the thories that he has an undisclosed alliance...

- Big Curly: haired fellow (Mat or Perrin Perrin): Wolf, Broken crown, trees flowering; evil, fallen, and I don't know, respectively

- Other one: Eagle, Dagger w/ Ruby, Scale, horn, laughing face; Something about judgment with the scale, but otherwise, who knows.

- And Rand: His is especially cryptic. Lightning reminds me of Lews Therin

- A chance encounter with the peddler Fain, funny he should be alive, and look so guilty. (this is bad news. Most likely this means word of Rand and others will now get back to the Dark One)

- Idiot, Rand, Idiot. Even if he does not work for the Dark One, he is far too fearful of him to keep a secret.

- Oh dear, he's lost his mind, and the Dark One claimed that he controlled the insane... :(

- It bothers me that Mat is not phased by his encounter, while the other two are feeling ill.

- Jeez, first day in the city and already making enemies with the Children of light... Oh, and it seems a small seed of madness has taken root in his mind. Not good.

- Children of Light - What arrogance! Ready to condemn a whole city because of some mischievous children!

- The peddler could inform the Children, if not the Dark One.

- Nynaeve. Drat. Well, that makes me wrong on so many things.

- And the chapter ends on that sour note.

Chapter 16

- More of Min

- Nynaeve is involved apparently. No surprise. Even though Min thinks that Nynaeve brings the danger, I still say it is the peddler's doing.

- Nynaeve "You sound just like Tam", well duh.

- It should be impressive that Nyvaeve was able to track Lan, but I'm not ready to be impressed by her.

- Rand blurts out that he knows that he is not from Two Rivers to Nynaeve, apparently Alys does not know Rand is the one yet.

Chapter 17

- Thom is telling a story. 6 points if the story turns out to be relevant later.

- Getting the fun and dancing in now while they can...

- "We're leaving at first light" My guess is that they get interrupted before then.

- The fade was not introduced properly. This is the first we've seen of them and we're suddenly expected to know it as a fade just from the description...

- First Mention of Shayol Ghul. Now they're the organization responsible for giving out puppies and lollipops, right?

- They're almost out and surprise, surprise the Whitecloaks are making trouble.

- Poor burning inn.

- Moiraine is right, she is unable to help those at the inn at this moment. Between the Fade and the Whitecloaks, anything she could do would be rendered moot.

- I'm still trying to figure the Whitecloaks out. Are they evil masquerading as good? or are they corrupted from the inside out? Or do they have a perspective on this that justifies their actions?

Chapter 18

- So Thom asks if the forces of evil might have something waiting for them at the bridge. I say no, only because Thom asked.

- The sounding horns, not good.

- Yay, five hundred Trollocs.

- "There is a place where Trollocs will not go" "No!" Interesting. My guess is that we won't see that place now, but maybe at another time, maybe in another book.

- Rand keeps finding himself surprised that Tam's sword is in his hand. It is interesting, either latent talent, or magic sword.

- Mat's warcry is in tongues. Disturbing.

- Battle is not going well. :(

- Huh all the trollocs around the humans went mad, all at once. Whose hand was that?

- Remind me never to anger an Aes Sedai. Having fun with those earth tremors, Moiraine?

- "I'm not at my strongest when working with Earth and Fire" ... Now RJ is just teasing us.

- So Mat's warcry meant something good (an ancient warcry, passed down in his blood, interesting)

- Oh, so they are going to that place.

- They have entered Shadar Logoth. Nice name. very cheerry.

Interesting read this topic but.. ;) I'd stop trying to out-think Robert Jordan if I were you. Enjoy the story, there are books 2-14 to go and much will happen that just can't be foretold. There is no way you can guess/reason out what is going to happen. ;) Which is one of the things that makes this series great! :) Oh, there will be some stereotypical parts here and there but on the whole, not many. ;)

I still enjoy my re-reads because I don't bother memorizing all the details.. :)

I'd stop trying to out-think Robert Jordan if I were you.

Yeah, like that's possible. Even if I didn't post it here, my mind would try it anyway. :P

Chapter 19

- So they are settling into the inn/building/place and are just mulling over stuff that happened last chapter. Not much to report.

- So Mat may be Aemon reborn. I just lynched Aemon a couple of days ago.

- Mordeth, a surprise.

- ... and he's a ghost, too.

- It's probably a very good thing they didn't take any treasure.

- And they all ran back to the inn.

- Yay, story time. ( I like how Moiraine reeled at Mordeth's name).

- So Mordeth poisined the king's ear similar to how Wormtongue did in Lord of the Rings. (Seriously what kind of king would take advice from a man named Wormtongue?)

- and the walls came a'tumbling down.

- death, destruction, madness, curse beyond death, standard fare.

- I'm hoping that this is all seed for a plot in another book, I'm hoping that none of the boys took anything.... please?

- Probably this is it because of the mention of the body snatcher plot.

- Ohh, Aquaphobia, conveinent.

I read back over my notes, and the last few weeks feel like months. I know I've lost some important details (Is this Rand guy that important?), but I'm not going back. I will get through this series. It may be fits and starts; I may stray every now and then; it may take me until the wheel stops turning but I will get there.

I'll even put my guarantee on it. At gmail, I have an email account, DNAString. (rearrange it to an email address yourselves.) If I go more than a couple of weeks without an update, poke me there. That is my personal, private email only given to close friends.

After lurking on these forums for over a year, I finally decided to sign up because of this thread. I know it was said previously, but I really hope no one spoils anything for you.

Perhaps you can edit your original post to update the link to your previous thread, since it doesnt work now post-DM8.0. Assuming the previous thread still exists, that is :)

Archived