DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rands new sword

Bowden

Why would the Dragon have Artur Hawkwings sword? He's not Hawkwing reborn, he's Lews Therin reborn. That's like Aviendha having Birgitte's bow

I wasn't sure exactly how you meant this.  Did you draw the Birgitte's arrow comparison to point out Justice's sudden appearance implies Hawkwing himself may have been ripped out?  Or the other way as in it simply has no place with Rand?

In any case Rand may only be a temporary guardian of it, not unlike Narishma and Callandor.  That also leaves open the possibility there is a message along with it, or simply the sword itself is the message.  Knock Knock who's there Horn of Valere. 

I was just being sarcastic about the Dragon having something that was Hawkwings lol.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of swords in the age of legends i.e Lews Therin and Belal being blademasters, i was thinking that when war first broke out in the AoL, it was such a foriegn concept that the Aes Sedai would have no idea how/wouldnt even think of using the power as a weapon, so is it possible that in initial battles male and posibly female aes sedai used swords and ashandarei to fight, until they figured out how to use the power and make shocklances etc. ?

On the subject of swords in the age of legends i.e Lews Therin and Belal being blademasters, i was thinking that when war first broke out in the AoL, it was such a foriegn concept that the Aes Sedai would have no idea how/wouldnt even think of using the power as a weapon, so is it possible that in initial battles male and posibly female aes sedai used swords and ashandarei to fight, until they figured out how to use the power and make shocklances etc. ?

I am not sure, but my thought is that they learned pretty quickly, they had pretty advanced research in the power, they could do almost everything, i wouldnt think it took to long to turn something like changing the weather into creating lightning (I dont know if there is any similarites with making them with the power, but im just using that as an association. Like they would heat water and use fire to create fire for warmth and smelting stuff, it wouldnt be a big step up to throwing fireballs around.

Yeah, they took a more scientific approach to the Power in the Age of Legends. Today is repeating what was taught; then, they adapted. It doesn't surprise me that they weaponized the Power quite effectively over a short period of time.

Maybe the sword allows the wearer to resist the effect of the crystal throne. I mean, it wouldnt be too far fetched that Hawkwing (being distrustful  of anything to do with the power) would be weary of someone being able to compel him in such a way.

Maybe the sword allows the wearer to resist the effect of the crystal throne. I mean, it wouldnt be too far fetched that Hawkwing (being distrustful  of anything to do with the power) would be weary of someone being able to compel him in such a way.

Why would Hawkwing need to protect himsemf from the Crystal Throne? This ter'angreal is from Seanchan, and I believe he was used by the Aes Sedai, those the army of Hawkwing's son Luthair were fighting, that ruled there and were using the Power as a weapon. By the time they conquered it, I believe Luthair's father was dead. So as Hawkwing never put a foot on Seanchan's territory, he wouldn't need to protect from it.

Why would Hawkwing need to protect himsemf from the Crystal Throne? This ter'angreal is from Seanchan, and I believe he was used by the Aes Sedai, those the army of Hawkwing's son Luthair were fighting, that ruled there and were using the Power as a weapon. By the time they conquered it, I believe Luthair's father was dead. So as Hawkwing never put a foot on Seanchan's territory, he wouldn't need to protect from it.

maybe its like mats medallion

maybe its like mats medallion

Yeah, that seems far more plausible for me. Or sometimes, a sword is just a sword.

But isn't the blade bare? IIRC, she is power-wrought, but without a heron, no? This is like Lan's blade. Doesn't that mean that those swords are older or younger than heron-marked blades? I don't remember which is from the AoL...

If the bare blades are from AoL, this could be a ter'angral. There hasn't been ter'angreal maker after the Breaking, I think.

i wouldn't be surprised if ltt never saw the blade ever. amalasan probably had it made when he declared himself dragon.

how could that be, isnt it cuenduallar?

I could see it being an AoL's commanders sword which has anti power properties in order to save him from the forsaken. that happened to come back to amalsan or whomever

There is a similar chair to the crystal throne in Rhuidian. "A chair made of what looks like glass"

For some reason I want to lean towards it being an "Anti-compulsion" ter'angreal

I doubt very much that his sword is an anti-compulsion ter'angreal. Rand actually has no need for one and I will try to explain.

As I recall...

Morainne mentioned while her and Lan were at the old ladies house researching history that she was passing his bond to another. Lan was obviously upset and Morainne indicated that she never used the warder bond to compel him to do anything, and that she could.

So warders can be compelled throught he bond. Now to Rand. (We've seen this done by the BT also.)

In TEOTW, Morainne gave the three lads a silver coin that she said she could use to find them. She also indicated when she was talking to Suian that she was unable to use the bond she created to compel him.

Cadsuanne asked Alanna why she didn't use the warder bond to compel Rand and she indicated that she tried and failed.

I suspect that Rand's stubborness allows him to avoid (not immune) being covertly compelled. We know he can be controlled by the domination band. I suspect this may be similar to compulsion but is definitly not convert, but overt.

[The male adam is dissimilar to the female adam btw. The domination band (male adam) controls their bodily actions. The female adam (that we have seen)cannot.]

Didn't Rand say he remembered it from his own memories and not those of LTT?  That would mean he saw it in the glass pillars or was shown an image of it in Finnland.

I don't know, I'll have to go back and reread that chapter.

I, however, think it is just another attempt to tie Rand to Arthurian legend, along the Excalibur line.  Somewhat lamely (so far).

Didn't Rand say he remembered it from his own memories and not those of LTT?  That would mean he saw it in the glass pillars or was shown an image of it in Finnland.

I don't know, I'll have to go back and reread that chapter.

I, however, think it is just another attempt to tie Rand to Arthurian legend, along the Excalibur line.  Somewhat lamely (so far).

Rand was remembering it from his own memories. It was Artur Hawkwing's sword and Hawkwing was summoned by the Horn of Valere in The Great Hunt. Rand saw "the great sword Justice" then.

Also, to reinforce my earlier point that the sword was just meant as a symbol to Rand that he has the right to rule Seanchan, Rand was given king Laman's sword right before he entered Cairhien behind the Shaido. It's all it was to Rand, a symbolic gesture that he's above all and should rule. Rand at this point in The Gathering Storm was completely insane.

Also, to reinforce my earlier point that the sword was just meant as a symbol to Rand that he has the right to rule Seanchan, Rand was given king Laman's sword right before he entered Cairhien behind the Shaido. It's all it was to Rand, a symbolic gesture that he's above all and should rule. Rand at this point in The Gathering Storm was completely insane.

Nice!  I'm not convinced Rand will wind up ruling the Seanchan but whether he does or not this is pretty astute.

in this case i have to agree that the sword is just a sword- just a special type of sword.

not all the swords that were power made were imprintened with a herron, the Herron maked blades were given to generals and rulers, those that were powermade but not marked went to common soldiers ala Lan's sword- though if justic is a herron marked blade then Rand would have owned 3 which is realy realy weird seeing how herron marked ones are kinda rare.

I don't think Rand receiving Laman's sword really meant that.  Aviendha found a clever way to rid the Aiel of it, giving it to someone who was Aiel enough for the gesture to clear her own honor at the same time.  He then destroyed it basically, removing the gems, hilt, and just using the blade itself.  It's gone as an artifact.

You're right, it didn't, but in this case he did inherit king Laman's sword right before becoming king of Cairhien. Mad Rand just inherited Hawkwing's sword right before meeting with the Seanchan about a treaty. How could the treaty not work in his favor? When I say it's symbolic to Rand I don't mean to the series - just to him. Just getting into his mindset during that scene.

You're right, it didn't, but in this case he did inherit king Laman's sword right before becoming king of Cairhien. Mad Rand just inherited Hawkwing's sword right before meeting with the Seanchan about a treaty. How could the treaty not work in his favor? When I say it's symbolic to Rand I don't mean to the series - just to him. Just getting into his mindset during that scene.

Funny how it didnt work out  :P

But yes, i do see your point

• 2 weeks later...

Rand had to get the sword Justice to fulfill prophecy.

I just started another re-read and was going to post about that.

TEotW: Prolouge, Dragonmount;

And it cam to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,

The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)

So I suppose he had to get it, but I still say the way it was introduced into the story was really weak....

Okay, this goes off the trail.  RJ gave BS a sword before his death.  Could it be that BS wrote this this way to show gratitude toward RJ for his gift?  The scabbard's description could be that of the gift given.

I read about the gift before the release of TGS.  I don't have any way to offer quotes or sources so my memory could be wrong.  I apologize in advance.

I think the sword is 'Justice' and was written in the way it was for Brandon's own thanks.

Archived