DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rands new sword

Bowden

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but how?

TGH: The grave is no bar to my call; "He knew the man who rode at their head, too. Tall and hook-nosed, with dark, deep-set eyes, his great sword Justice at his side.

Why would the Dragon have Artur Hawkwings sword? He's not Hawkwing reborn, he's Lews Therin reborn. That's like Aviendha having Birgitte's bow >.>

Not to mention, "great sword" just doesn't sound like the kind of sword Rand uses.

TGS: Tears from Steel; "He relaxed his hand on his sword, though he did not release it. He fingered the cloth-tied hilt. The weapon was long, slightly curved, and the lacquered scabbard was painted with a long, sinuous dragon of red and gold. It looked as if it had been designed specifically for Rand-- and yet it was centuries old, unearthed only recently. How odd, theat they should find this now, he thought, and make a gift of it to me, completely unaware of what they were holding....

He had taken to wearing the sword immediately. It felt right beneath his fingers. He had told no one, not even Min, that he had recognized the weapon. And not, oddly, from Lews Therin's memories-- but Rand's own.

That just doesn't sound like Justice to me. Also, I don't recall %100, but I'm pretty sure that's the last time it's mentioned. Nothing about who found it, where it was found or where Rand remembers it from. At first I thought it was Lews old sword, but how would Rand recognize that?

The whole thing just seems like a clumsy Deus ex Machina to me :P lol

guairre amalasan (sp?) thats the false dragon he defeated, however, even then, I dont really see how it "fits" Rand. I mean, do we have any information on the sword itself? Is it symbolic of somehting? Is it a ter'angreal? Something special about it?

I mean, it was Hawkwing's sword, but what does Hawkwing really have to do with the Dragon Reborn? Is there any prophecies linking the two or something?

It may have been Ltt's sword originally. I hear talk of it being presented to common soldiers but they didn't need swords in the AoL...they had Shocklancers & weapons that could kill from thousands of miles.

LTT & Be'lal(Duram Laddel Cham.)were allies for a time during the War of Power. Be'lal was a leader in the fight against the Dark One  before he forsakes the Light. He was a master swordsman and manipulator. He was an advocate and a friend of Lews Therin Telamon. Together, they revived the ancient and forgotten art of swordfighting, and fought together against the Shadow before his jealousy of the Dragon drove him to swear his soul to the Dark One.

I had a hunch Justice belonged to LTT & the sword that Lan has, belonged to Be'lal.

Thats only a theory though.

I think Rand thought it fitting because it was Hawkwing's sword and it was both found and presented to him right before his meeting with Tuon. To him it would have been a symbol of his right to lead the Seanchan.

Yeahh, I was thinking that aswell, just thought it might mean something more, because he said "stranglely, not from LTT memories" something along those lines, suggesting that it had something to do with LTT and the war of power, not just Hawkwing.

Rand said he recognized it from his memories, not Lews Therin, which implies Lews Therin did not recognise it.

If it was anyone before Hawkwings, it was Guire Amalasan's.

I know that he said that. But he said "Strangely" suggesting that LTT SHOULD have recognized it or something along the lines of that.

Why would the Dragon have Artur Hawkwings sword? He's not Hawkwing reborn, he's Lews Therin reborn. That's like Aviendha having Birgitte's bow

I wasn't sure exactly how you meant this.  Did you draw the Birgitte's arrow comparison to point out Justice's sudden appearance implies Hawkwing himself may have been ripped out?  Or the other way as in it simply has no place with Rand?

In any case Rand may only be a temporary guardian of it, not unlike Narishma and Callandor.  That also leaves open the possibility there is a message along with it, or simply the sword itself is the message.  Knock Knock who's there Horn of Valere.  

I do like the theory that it was "fitting" because he was jsut about to meet with the Seanchan (who idolize Hawkwing) and his sword would definitly be fitting in this context, however, the only problem i have with that is that when they did meet, he did not bring any attention to the Sword, it may be that with all that had happened he just forgot, but it would see that if you got someones sword and you were trying to secure an alliance with a people who idolize what that Sword represents (the Seanchan like Berelain because of her name) you would think Rand would use it to his advantage

I do like the theory that it was "fitting" because he was jsut about to meet with the Seanchan (who idolize Hawkwing) and his sword would definitly be fitting in this context, however, the only problem i have with that is that when they did meet, he did not bring any attention to the Sword, it may be that with all that had happened he just forgot, but it would see that if you got someones sword and you were trying to secure an alliance with a people who idolize what that Sword represents (the Seanchan like Berelain because of her name) you would think Rand would use it to his advantage

could he have been testing them to see if they would recognize one of artur hawkwings relics

could he have been testing them to see if they would recognize one of artur hawkwings relics

True... but 1. Seems a little pointless, doesnt achieve much and

2. When they didnt noticed, Rand should have brought it to their attention and take advantage of it.

But, I really dont know, you could be right

The sword wouldn't be required at the meeting with Tuon. It was a symbol to Rand about Rand's own right to lead the Seanchan. He was completely mad by this point in the books. He could have achieved the most making it a personal gift to Tuon as well.

"Strangely" was used because in most cases where something like that is recognized, it was not through Rand's own memories but through Lews Therin's. He was just remarking on how this time it was his own experience that caused him to recognize the sword - he saw it once before at Falme when Hawkwing came to the Horn's call.

I think Rand thought it fitting because it was Hawkwing's sword and it was both found and presented to him right before his meeting with Tuon. To him it would have been a symbol of his right to lead the Seanchan.

Yeahh, I was thinking that aswell, just thought it might mean something more, because he said "stranglely, not from LTT memories" something along those lines, suggesting that it had something to do with LTT and the war of power, not just Hawkwing.

I was thinking he meant that the Sword felt good with him. IIRC, Bryne say the same about Rand and Tam's sword when he met him in the Caemlyn Palace. Something like "it belongs with him, and he with it"

I just thought it meant that the sword was good on Rand's side.

I was thinking he meant that the Sword felt good with him. IIRC, Bryne say the same about Rand and Tam's sword when he met him in the Caemlyn Palace. Something like "it belongs with him, and he with it"

I just thought it meant that the sword was good on Rand's side.

Could very well be that, no idea really.

Archived