DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine

algspkr

Well, it will be nice, I guess, but Moirane would probably act as if nothing happened in that "cool Aes Sedai serenity" and rush off to tell Rand that he is being an insolent boy with barely a word of thanks for Mat, and everything's back to normal. :P

Then again, one must remember that Thom is going with Mat to see Moirane. But I think Thom will die in that scene, whether due to some strange Fin thingy or as a sacrifice to free Moirane and save the world.

I have to disagree. I don't think Thom is going to die at all. The Eelfinn always exact a price, that's true, but I believe the price will be Mat's eye. Hence the third answer he was given by the Aelfinn; "give up half the light of the world to save the world".

He'll be saving the world by bringing Moiraine back, who we know from Min's only "failed" viewing must be there for Rand to succeed. And he'll be giving up half the light of the world by sarificing his eye(hopefully the one that the Finns are seeing through).

There's also some other confirmations of this. There's Moiraine's criptic comment to Egwene and Elayne in the Stone about "knowing the face of her husband" (though she made before she went through the rings in Rhuidean so how she'd know is a bit of a mystery)and also the comment in her letter to Rand about the "one thing" that might happen later but didn't concern him, probably her rescue.

Well' date=' it will be nice, I guess, but Moirane would probably act as if nothing happened in that "cool Aes Sedai serenity" and rush off to tell Rand that he is being an insolent boy with barely a word of thanks for Mat, and everything's back to normal. :P

Then again, one must remember that Thom is going with Mat to see Moirane. But I think Thom will die in that scene, whether due to some strange Fin thingy or as a sacrifice to free Moirane and save the world.[/quote']

well considering u dont like moiraine it seems rather hard to believe that. Also, knowing RJ, there probably will be a sacrifice but i hope it isnt Thom. He's been around all 11 books and grows on you

I didn't read every reply, so forgive me if this has already been brought up. I think that there will be a good portion that Moiraine already knows. Remember, it was going through the Ter'Angreal in Rhuidean that showed her that she would need to sacrifice herself in order to get rid of Lanfear. They also told her that the only chance of her being rescued (possibly) is if Matt followed the instructions that she left.

I think that they showed her a good bit of the current situation in the process.

Actually, almearafan, she stated in her letter to Rand that "I do not know what happens in the world after, except perhaps for one small thing which does not concern you."

Since we know that she knew about the rescue that would "perhaps" take place (in her letter to Thom she talks a great deal about what MIGHT happen), that is her "one small thing". I doubt she knows any more, so I bet she will be surprised by some things she finds. People make a big issue of her going through the rings in Rhuidean, but the Wise Ones and Aviendha make it clear that you don't really remember much of what you see in there. Just a few key life-turning points, the rest fades to, at most, impressions (like the one Aviendha had about her and Elayne possibly going to Rand while he was cleansing the taint.)

almearafan

"I do not know what happens in the world after, except perhaps for one small thing which does not concern you."

i come away with the question of "after what?". there are far to many "happens" to nail one down at this point...

we wil learn as we RAFO.

Guest cwestervelt

Don't you just love the wording in that letter? Just about every sentence can have numerous meanings. Some of them can actually mean the exact opposite of what they appear to say. Moiraine was Aes Sedai and Cairhienin to the core.

I think her letters were well aimed at her audiences. Rand's was written with two purposes, to let him know that she had known what would happen, and that she did not regret leaving, because she trusted him. It was her way of cutting him loose. She worded it as Aes Sedai, so that he would see her as an Aes Sedai who had made her choice, and respect it, thereby trying to absolve him of guilt. Also, she wanted him to remain wary, remain guarded and thoughtful. Vague wordings and Aes Sedai style secrecy encouraged that attitude, and encouraged his wariness of other Aes Sedai.

Thom's letter had a double audience, and it was essentially her request for help. She knew that with Thom she was dealing with a more mature initial reader, one on whom Aes Sedai wordgames would be less effective, and frankly, less necessary. Also, she hoped that Mat would eventually read the letter, and she needed him to see her as a woman in distress, rather than Aes Sedai. Mat would probably have come after her anyway, but a more open seeming style would seem more likely to engender sympathy, especially considering how Mat looked at her at the time of her "death". So I think she calculated each letter carefully to have the desired impact on the audience it was aimed at. The desired impacts were very different, so the letters were written very differently.

The letter is, indeed, a bit out of character for her, and if you'll recall, the two letters that she handed to Rand (in TFOH) appeared to be sealed with her great serpent ring, yet the letter that Thom shows to Mat has been sealed with House Damodred's tree and crown sigil. Maybe it isn't the same letter? Rand's POV at the time of the reading even makes mention that the letter was signed simply "Moiraine," making note that she rarely used her House name. Why, then, would she use her House sigil on Thom's letter? Maybe there were two letters, one wrapped within another? Maybe the tepid love letter is really a cipher for delivering (much more explicit) instructions as to how best to rescue her (okay, I'm stealing someone else's thoughts from the theoryland website here, but I was really intrigued by what they said, and I just had to throw it out there into this forum). Just wanted to stir the pot with some other thoughts. Am I the only one who thinks like this (besides whomever I stole the thought from)?

Honestly, I expect nothing short of an emotional breakdown.

Try this on for size.

Rand beats the Dark Onem (however he does it), the prison is remade in mint original condition. He dies, and comes back (or is body switched, again, however it happens) and, after he saves the world, sees everyone geting ready to throw down in the aftermath (land divided by the return, guardians balancing the servants, per Nicola) and is all set to MAKE them stop by setting himself up as dictator supreme (which sort of fits with his view now) when Moiraine shows up and says, basically, "Thats not really a good idea. You've done well, and see, sometimes things work out, like me. So lets try another way, shall we?"

It's pure speculation, but it adds value to Mat's rescue, in that preventing The Rand Reborn from stepping over the line into being a big time despot would almost certainly "save the world".

I actually hope that Rand ends up somehow being able to live after the Last Battle and have the ability to try and make the fighting stop by making himself dictator supreme because each territory has shown they would do better going back to the Age of Legends way. Where there is Hall of Servants, Nine Rods of Dominion and so on and Rand could help institute a this in a similar way, maybe with male Aes Sedai joining the White Tower so it can become more of a power to help govern the world as the Hall of Servants did. I just don't see Rand going all bad after the Dark One has been defeated because in the beginning he didn't even want the power he just knew he had to take it out of responsibility or because he was the only one that could and I would think after the pressure is off he would get closer to who he really was before all the crazy stuff started happening. I also would think and hope that Moiraine will be freed and get to have an active part in the Last Battle since Mat will have to get back from freeing her quickly to get to Rand's side and help him before and during the Last Battle.

The feeling I get from Nicola's fortelling is one that I really don't like because it seems to much like a King Arthur ending where the main character doesn't exactly die just something like going off into the sunset not completely explaining how the world gets back into a state of order just basically stating that the true evil has been defeated so eventually order will be restored and since Seandar is in a state of disarray anyway the Seachan will have to go back and take care of that plus Rand and other circumstances have really has set up several people to rule that have the capacity to rule righteously (Darlin, Elayne, Logain (who I believe will take the place of Rand once he has to do his King Arthur BS), and several others he has influenced.)

I really hope the King Arthur stuff doesn't happen but too much about Nicola's prophecy and Logain's aura of greatness ring a bell which Robert Jordan likes to do especially since his favorite all time sci fi movie is Excalibur (I know that might not mean anything but hey we all have our weaknesses when it comes to what we really get entertainment out of even great authors.)

Archived