DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does Tam realise Rand is a blademaster?

Tommatt

I was just curious, can't remember from their TgS conversation.  I'm re-reading through and in book 4 where Perrin meets up with Tam.  When he asks about Rand, it just occurred to me, by saying hes a blade master now would be saying a lot without saying a lot.  Just curious if he knows, and won't have the book handy on me for awhile.

Rand is the Dragon Reborn, the King of Illian, and technically the leader of the Black Tower. I say the Blademaster title is a bit meaningless now, whether Tam knows of it or not. Though, he should be proud that his son reached blademaster level in less than one year.

I agree. Rand's sword skills must've diminished greatly by losing his hand, but Rand never considered himself a blademaster to begin with. I don't think he ever referred to himself as such.

People just keep giving him Heron-marked blades like they grow on trees or something, and his opponents kept assuming he's a blademaster by that fact alone.

Anyway, I don't see why he would continue to wield a blade when he could just as easily kill dozens with a flick of a finger. Easier in fact. The taint is gone!

@MikeRiley lol... yes, I would say it decreased by about half.

@Rootbeer Eh, true, it wouldn't really matter. And the whole taint being gone doesn't matter much because he still gets sick. I dunno, I'd still use the sword, as opposed to puking everytime I embraced Saidin.

But no, I don't believe Tam knows.

Can Rand still be considered a blademaster? His skill with a sword has significantly decreased lately.

Skill with a sword is required, but Galad's POV in Knife of Dreams said the two ways to become a Blademaster were defeating another Blademaster in fair combat or a unanimous vote from a bunch of other Blademasters (presumably at some kind of tournament).  When Rand killed Turak in tGH he became a Blademaster - Nynaeve comments on this actually in tGS when Rand tells her about it.  Gareth Bryne is still a Blademaster even though he's older and might not technically be as skilled as younger Blademasters for instance.  I think it's for life.  So Rand is still a Blademaster, albeit with diminished skill.

Rand isn't just a blademaster, he's one of the Blademasters.  Yes, his hand is gone but now that he's integrated with Lews therin he's an original blademaster.  Just a quibble, can any fight with taveren be totally fair.  On the usefulness of swords, say you're fighting an opponent who's stronger than you are and they shield you and start gloating and all or just take a moment to catch breath.  Meantime, you take your sword from it's sheath and cutting your opponent's gloating or breathcatching off at the neck.  I think this was Rand's rationale for forcing Haslin on Taim.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the sword saves afew lives at the Black Tower.

Rand isn't just a blademaster, he's one of the Blademasters.  Yes, his hand is gone but now that he's integrated with Lews therin he's an original blademaster.  Just a quibble, can any fight with taveren be totally fair.  On the usefulness of swords, say you're fighting an opponent who's stronger than you are and they shield you and start gloating and all or just take a moment to catch breath.  Meantime, you take your sword from it's sheath and cutting your opponent's gloating or breathcatching off at the neck.  I think this was Rand's rationale for forcing Haslin on Taim.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the sword saves afew lives at the Black Tower.

More than that, if the Ashaman-as-Warders thing goes through, it could be an incredible asset. Just have the Ashaman link with the Aes Sedai, give the Aes Sedai control of the link, and then fight on two fronts, physical and with the OP.

Rand is not "technically" a blademaster though. There were no witnesses to his defeat of Turak, and witnesses are needed to gain the title.

Also the seanchan blademasters are not as skilled as others. The standards are lower or some such thing.

I'm sure Rands skill was enough to have the title if they bothered to find some blademasters to vote on it however.

No I don't think Tam knows....but I'd be giving him a good slapping for losing my sword if I was Tam.....

I don't think he does, either. In the convo in tGS, when Rand and Tam meet, it isn't mentioned, though Tam's status is:

"I'm afraid I lost your sword," Rand found himself saying. It felt foolish.

"That's all right," Tam said. "I don't know that I ever deserved the thing anyway."

"Were you really a blademaster?"

Tam nodded. "I suppose. I killed a man who was one, did it in front of witnesses, but I've never forgiven myself for it. Though it needed doing."

More than that, if the Ashaman-as-Warders thing goes through, it could be an incredible asset. Just have the Ashaman link with the Aes Sedai, give the Aes Sedai control of the link, and then fight on two fronts, physical and with the OP.

No can do. In a circle with 1 man and 1 woman, the man must do the channeling. The woman can hold the power while making the circle, but she cannot DO anything with it. It's in the glossaries.

So it takes two Aes Sedai per Asha'man, but it's still possible.  Maybe you could even do a group like 5 women with 4 Asha'man.  A good perimeter of swordsmen around you, with the women focusing on where the power needs to go.

No can do. In a circle with 1 man and 1 woman, the man must do the channeling. The woman can hold the power while making the circle, but she cannot DO anything with it. It's in the glossaries.

Really? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

If that's really the case, well, just teach the Aes Sedai how to use a sword and it will still work out.  ;D

Tam knows.  Tam knows all.  ;D

Really, though, when you stop and think about it, Tam is pretty impressive.  He's a blademaster (although that's been somewhat cheapened as of late, because it seems that everyone is), a master with the quarterstaff (Mat mentions that either Tam or his father always won the contests), and one of the best archers in the Two Rivers.  Bring it on, Shadowspawn (although they already did in the first book, and he got injured.  Ridiculous!)!

Rand is not "technically" a blademaster though. There were no witnesses to his defeat of Turak, and witnesses are needed to gain the title.

Also the seanchan blademasters are not as skilled as others. The standards are lower or some such thing.

I'm sure Rands skill was enough to have the title if they bothered to find some blademasters to vote on it however.

Since no one else did, I'm going to have to call BS on the bolded part unless you can provide quotes.

Actually it does bring up an interesting question.  One handed Rand can probably kill most swordsman with one hand.  But, with his diminished skill with one hand, although he's achieved the rank, would he still be considered a blademaster after losing one hand?  Obviously if he defeated one yes, but after obtaining it, can you lose it?

Didnt see an edit :(

and I saw some people questioning whether rand is a blademaster.  I can't remember the requirment upon not killing a blademaster, but if you defeat one in single armed combat, as Rand and Tam did apparently, you are a blademaster.  Such, Rand is a blademaster.

Didnt see an edit :(

and I saw some people questioning whether rand is a blademaster.  I can't remember the requirment upon not killing a blademaster, but if you defeat one in single armed combat, as Rand and Tam did apparently, you are a blademaster.  Such, Rand is a blademaster.

rands problem is that there wherent witnesses

and Tam is awesome, he is a master at everything I wouldnt want to piss him off, he could be a very good assassin

Archived