DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

American Whiskey

cosmicpanda

So what bottle should I buy next? I've tried Jack Daniels No. 7 and wasn't really impressed, and I've tried Maker's Mark and found that a bit better but still not really my thing - it suffered considerably in a comparison with my favourite Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Currently I'm eyeing up Wild Turkey's Rare Breed and wondering if it's worth the dosh. I do like the big smoky Islay whiskies but I also enjoy the caramel and vanilla types of scotch, which apparently this Wild Turkey is a wee bit similar to.

I demand thoughts from the Americans that I know are on this forum!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pandy, if you're looking for bourbon, there are really only 2 options: Bookers (if you like smooth) or Blantons (if you prefer smokey).  There are other drinkable bourbons, especially the small batch stuff you can find if you really hunt, but those are far and away the best

I love this thread.

In my humble opinion, a comparison of scotch and bourbon is a bit like comparing a merlot and a cabernet, and have to be tasted and judged on their own merits.

Having said that, if you are a Laphroaig lover - and I am - I'll take Laphroaig over a Lagavulin any day - then Kivam has pointed you in the right direction. There are other small batch labels, each very distinctive, but some are hard to find and some are...eh...peculiar.

I'm a Makers Mark fan as far as the regular brands go. Jack Daniels would be next, and the rest are kind of blurred into the giant four year adventure that I called college.

Now, has anyone tried the new Sam Adams Noble Pils - very hoppy, which I often find to be a lovely compliment to a fine whisky.

Now, has anyone tried the new Sam Adams Noble Pils - very hoppy, which I often find to be a lovely compliment to a fine whisky.

Actually, I just tried that this past weekend - a buddy of mine is a big beer drinker (aren't we all?) and loves to try new things...he brought some over.  It was better than I expected.  I don't really know how stuff compliments each other (I'm a rookie at that stuff), but it tasted pretty good.  I'm still a Sam Winter guy, though.

Guest dragonsworn1991

Oh yes, try wild turkey. I bet you'll love it! *snickers*

Wild Turkey is awesome.

Southern Comfort aka SoCo is good, and it is hard to go wrong with Gentleman Jack, I know Crown Royal is Canadian but it is one of the best.

I would suggest those three Panda.

Beer = immediate projectile vomiting for me.  :-\

As for American whiskey, my husband recommends Knob Creek and Blanton's. I know nothing about whiskey, other than if you stick it in Diet Coke, there's like...no carbs. And it makes you drunk really fast. :)

Fast carbs <3.

Wild Turkey is awesome.

Southern Comfort aka SoCo is good, and it is hard to go wrong with Gentleman Jack, I know Crown Royal is Canadian but it is one of the best.

Pete . . . sorry, but you haven't developed enough of an appreciation for good whiskey to recommend stuff (you're recommending Jack Daniels, which he already said he did not enjoy)

Guest dragonsworn1991

He tried the original, I was suggesting Gentleman Jack.

And I know there is a lot of room for my pallet to develop but at my present time and place, those are my favorites.

I love this thread.

In my humble opinion, a comparison of scotch and bourbon is a bit like comparing a merlot and a cabernet, and have to be tasted and judged on their own merits.

This.  I will say this - a mediocre bourbon is likely to be more enjoyable than a mediocre scotch.

Sounds like my next whisky purchase will be Bookers, then. It'll be a while off, I still have three unopened bottles of scotch to get through (not to mention the unopened JD that I got for Christmas and my several already open bottles of misc whisky). It has the advantage of being sold in NZ for a reasonable price, though. I looked up the Blanton's, and it's seemingly not sold in NZ. I can get it from an online shop in the UK, but the price is a bit much when I could buy Laphroaig for 2/3 the price or so from them.

Wes, may I ask as to your favourite expression of Laphroaig? I think we should send Far a sample so she can try it.

Kivam, what is your prefered scotch? Also, how do you compare Blantons to something like Laphroaig?

Pete, hunt down Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Aberlour A'bunadh. They're glorious.

Wild Turkey is awesome.

Wild Turkey is what we make people drink as a punishment for being stupid or various other things like that here.

Can't say that I am a Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon drinker. Ask me about Vodka or Rum, and I might have an insight or twelve. Never the less, I would have to agree on the mention of Crown. Granted it isn't American, but it is NORTH American, so that counts.

Archived