DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min, am I the only one?

J-Rad

LOL. She didn't bother me as much as Nynaeve and even Elayne but I think ALL the characters get less annoying as the series progresses. I don't know if I'm just getting used to them or if they're actually less annoying. I think ALL the characters started out annoying at first, in fact. I almost quit reading these books numerous times because of that (at least that was one reason).

I just really got annoyed beyond all reason with how ALL the girls are always scolding and bossing people around...it's irritating. Now I'm on Crossroads of Twilight (I wouldn't consider this a spoiler but someone might) and now what's bugging me is everyone being bonded by everyone, it's insane! It's like "get off my partyline", lol.

How can you not like Min?! I never noticed her whiney-ness  :( she always seemed like the most down-to-earth, genuinely caring and not bratty female in the series. Unlike Nyn, Elayne, and Egwene, who all have terrible attitudes.

But I also have no problems with Faile, who many consider to be their least favorite character...

I have to agree on the last part - I also like Faile and really dont understand why people hate her. I guess it's all about the matter of perception.

They totally overdid the bonding thing. Cant Aes sedai release bonds? Shouldn't the asha'man be able to do it as well?

You bring up a very good point and releasing bonds...one I've been wondering about too. You should start a new thread on that topic alone. Or somebody should...

In KoD she insists on accompying Rand everywhere to the point she just becomes a lethal distraction.  And yes she is a Rand groupie.  she used to be my favorite of Rand's women but what happened in Kod dropped her down and Avi took her place.

BTW when people start posting when they are only in the middle of the series they can't cry foul if they read spoilers.  It would be different if the spoilers were from tGS.

In KoD she insists on accompying Rand everywhere to the point she just becomes a lethal distraction.  And yes she is a Rand groupie.  she used to be my favorite of Rand's women but what happened in Kod dropped her down and Avi took her place.

BTW when people start posting when they are only in the middle of the series they can't cry foul if they read spoilers.  It would be different if the spoilers were from tGS.

Do you mean when hole shielding her and losing hand part from the KoD? That's the only thing I can think of.

I was 100% a Min hater before I read KoD, but throughout the later books she grew on me. Like everyone else has been saying about Min, she's not the most beautiful, or the strongest, or the smartest  female character but she does seem to have a heart of gold. Min isn't a warrior or a political mastermind, and that's why I find her refreshing.  :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the OP for this thread!

I have just listened to all 12 books again (starting back in early november) and have decided that Min really bugs me.  Her visions aside, she seems pretty useless to me.  At least Avihenda and Elayne are doing what needs to be done for their culture/country, instead of just trailing after Rand, moaning about how she didn't want to fall in love but only did because she had the viewing. 

And honestly, if I have to read one more time how she can feel how strong Rand's desire for her is through the bond during sex, I swear I will poke one of my eyes out (or stick a spear in my ear if I am listening)!  I really don't care about all the sex they are having, sheesh.

I like Avihenda a lot more than Min, and I think that the thought Avihenda has in tGS points out their differences the best, something like she loved him NOT because she saw she was destined to in Rhudiean, but because she came to it on her own.  Min spent at least 3 books whining about her destiny, and never actually FELL in love with Rand, she just "knew" it was her destiny.

And I hate the short coats and high heeled boots affectation.

I am not saying Min will not play a role with all of her reading for the Last Battle, I just don't see her usefulness yet, and a lot of pages have been wasted on her and her "passion" with Rand.

I also agree with several of the earlier posters with respect to her being a liability, (for example in KoD and tGS, both with Semirhage, and during the kidnapping, when he saw Min was there too that resulted in his daily beatings), and i don't think she had done anything to keep him from getting harder, in fact it is because of her that he is so much harder, especially in how the kidnapping played into that hardening.

I will take a LOT of convincing to agree Min has been worth keeping around.

Min is cool. She's just your average tomboy from a small town.

She is relatable, down to earth, and a bit fiery. She also listens to Rand, mostly.

She's pretty damn useful tbh. She has those viewings, keeps Rand sane, and reads through Herid Fels books (which are going to be important). She also sticks up for him. Near the end of TGS (trying not to spoil it) when certain females are having a big "Rand needs to do such and such, how do we make him do what we want?" Min puts them firmly in line with one sentence. She's pretty good at dishing out some STFU to those who need it.

I agree with NoGuessing, Min is the most bearable female in the whole series. At least she defends Rand, and is the only one who sees rand as a man to help, not as a problem to solve, like all the other women who hang around him. Nynaeve sees it sometimes, but mostly she can't accept that he isn't the kid she spanked when he was naughty back in the village.

Hello there, I'm kind of a newbie to the series (just started LoC). I opened this topic becuase, well to sort of discuss the character of Min.

Am I the only one that doesn't like her?

Of course not. A few people have voiced dislike of here because she seems to them to be more of a walking plot device than a character, for example. This series is just like real life, in that everyone gets hated by someone. Athough unlike real life, in that it's generally not me doing the hating.

Ok, let's take a look as who they were before they met him:

Elane(sp) was supposed to be the queen of Andor after Morgase "died" and yet that duty did not get on her list to do until white tower was done with her.

You mean that saving the world thing she did? Yes, it is clear where her priorities lie. She couldn't just go wandering off in LoC until Egwene raised her to AS. Then she had the Bowl of Winds to find, and saving the world should rate a little higher than chasing around after your husband to be or looking after a country which can manage without you for a little longer. True, she did her political standing no favours, but she was doing something more important - after all, there's no point being queen if eveyone dies due to the perpetual summer.

Wise One thing was not hers from the gecko and she did not want to be one.
...Am I missing something here? I quite understand Avi not wanting to be a gecko, but I don't recall her ever thinking much on the issue.

Frankly, all the characters in the book should kneel down and thank Min for keeping Rand as sane as he is. She is the ONLY reason why.
Rand's sanity is down to Min? I hardly think she deserves all the blame.

Min is everything a man can wish for.
Not even close.

Min isn't one of my favourite characters in the series, but I don't actively dislike her. Mostly, she's just there. Now Cadsuane, Moiraine, Nynaeve, those are characters I like reading about, and they have all done far more for Rand than Min while about it.

Min has always been on of my favourite characters. The quirkiness, the jokes and the like. Definitely down to earth and I can see many similarities between her and a number of my friends. She seems real from my perspective.

Never really liked Min myself either. She feels so bland in comparison to every other main female. She can see the future... Oh right. Is that supposed to be comparible to Elaynes ability with Ter'angreal and Aviendhas general kickassness and weavelearning knack? It isnt. Min... the only thing good about her PoVs is that we see people through her eyes; her thoughts offer nothing to bond with or anything like that... She doesnt annoy me as such, but she as uninteresting as can be without actually being annoying.

*cough* ... *cough* *cough* *cough*cough*COUGH*walkingplotdevice*cough*

I always liked Min's character. As stated she seems to be the most down to earth of Rand's lovers. I really don't hate any character in the series, it's hard to when RJ puts so much depth and individualism in all of the main characters. I even like Elayne, Faile, and Nynaeve who a lot of people don't like, and even Fain, The Forsaken, etc. I think for me it's the fact that (Especially characters who have been in the series since the first few books) you get inside their heads and get to know the characters almost as if you actually knew them, and you see why they act and think like they do.

J-Rad,

Min grows on you.  Keep muddling through.  I know what you're talking about (and there are a few other characters that you may feel that way about in future books too) but in a lot of ways Min (to me) represents the average girl (when compared to some of the other girls in the books and in particular those whom the main three boy characters pay attention to) ... she's not a princess, epic warrior, or saidar slinging bad a$$... she's just a commoner girl who has to rely on her brain for the most part.

Good discussion idea though!

I think that was on purpose...making Min an average girl.  I think each of the girls is suposed to serve Rand in a different way.  One is a warrior who keeps him on his toes and keeps him from growing week.  One is a Princess who can teach him what he needs to know to gather the rulers of the world behind him for the last battle. and Min is the average girl who keeps him down to earth and makes sure he doesn't get to arogant.

I think Min is one of the most witless characters in the series.

- When Egwene is captured and Min is alone with her she never tries to remove Egenwe's a'dam. I despise Egwene, so I found this very understandable though.

- After Rand is wounded by Fain's dagger she does her best to stop the Aes Sedai from healing him before Min herself can shout at her and demand it.

- When Rand is cleansing Saidin she has to be restrained by Cadsuane from ruining his work and killing him.

- Min somehow learned from the great Thom how to throw knives but despite that she missed not only Fain, but the angry Maidens beating Rand, Semirhage throwing a fireball at Rand, and more in TGS. The one use she has from them is to force people to pay attention to her witless ramblings by flashing them or throwing them in front of them.

- Her only real talent, besides that of a sex toy, is seeing what will happen in the future. A useless skill since events will happen whether she tells anyone or not.

As a character, Min is a good and bad influence on Rands sanity for the reasons pointed out.  She's just there to forshadow things and keep us wondering whats next otherwise.

For her own character, it would've been better if he didn't just copy all the other women's character.  She isn't any more or less fiestier than any of the other women.  The one time she did defend rand was a massive surpise though.  But otherwise, it WOULD'VE been nice if she was the girl next door, but instead she's just another woman in this series who thinks she is queen with every man who isn't already being controlled by another woman.  The guys are just as bad when it comes to coddling every woman in sight though.

Verin(even before the latest book), Moiraine, Ishy, Thom, sometimes Mat, Dobraine, maybe Fain, umm, maybe just a couple others were all interesting characters.  These are the only people that don't seem to be a carbon copy of everyone else but with a different set of skills/knowledge/station/talents/abilitis/history/appearence.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Min is one of the most witless characters in the series.

- When Egwene is captured and Min is alone with her she never tries to remove Egenwe's a'dam. I despise Egwene, so I found this very understandable though.

- After Rand is wounded by Fain's dagger she does her best to stop the Aes Sedai from healing him before Min herself can shout at her and demand it.

- When Rand is cleansing Saidin she has to be restrained by Cadsuane from ruining his work and killing him.

- Min somehow learned from the great Thom how to throw knives but despite that she missed not only Fain, but the angry Maidens beating Rand, Semirhage throwing a fireball at Rand, and more in TGS. The one use she has from them is to force people to pay attention to her witless ramblings by flashing them or throwing them in front of them.

- Her only real talent, besides that of a sex toy, is seeing what will happen in the future. A useless skill since events will happen whether she tells anyone or not.

And how would Min and Egwene walk out of the building together.  There are Seachan everywhere in the building they were in escape would be impossible. .  Egwene wouldn'rt be able to sheild  all of the Damane and she would have been shielded in seconds. 

Archived