DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min, am I the only one?

J-Rad

Hello there, I'm kind of a newbie to the series (just started LoC).  I opened this topic becuase, well to sort of discuss the character of Min.

Am I the only one that doesn't like her?

Don't get me wrong, being able to see parts of the pattern is a really cool ability, but her character just bugs me.  Every time Rand mentions "Min never made me feel awkward" I cringe.  I've never been a fan of love at first site adn Min kinda takes it to the extreme.  It's extremeley annoying when Min has to mention at least once every chapter that I have to get away so I can be with Rand when she's only seen him a handful of times.  If it wasn't her interesting viewings I'd skip over her chapters.  I try, but I just I just don't think I'll ever be able to like her, or even be indifferent to her. 

J-Rad,

Min grows on you.  Keep muddling through.  I know what you're talking about (and there are a few other characters that you may feel that way about in future books too) but in a lot of ways Min (to me) represents the average girl (when compared to some of the other girls in the books and in particular those whom the main three boy characters pay attention to) ... she's not a princess, epic warrior, or saidar slinging bad a$$... she's just a commoner girl who has to rely on her brain for the most part.

Good discussion idea though!

Wha?!?!!?

I know a lot of people don't like Elayne or Egwene (I like all the characters and don't see why people hate them so much), but I can't recall anyone not liking Min...

She is awesomeness.... :D

*agrees with Miya*

I think you will find a lot of people might end up posting here, talking about not liking this character or that one....

:) I like reading why people don't like certain characters for some reason....

I hope your urge to skip her POV's dwindles with time, I think she is a great character.

I think out of many, many people, especially love interests of Rand, Min is the one with heart and BRAINS. She simply is loyal in every possible way and probably responsible keeping Rand in tact in more than one way. Btw, sorry about the rant and welcome!

She's also the one with the snug-fitting breeches and heeled boots. Don't think that doesn't help ;)

If Aviendha was running around in a leopard-skin bikini or Elayne in garter belts and stockings, they'd probably be a little more popular too.

I think out of many, many people, especially love interests of Rand, Min is the one with heart and BRAINS. She simply is loyal in every possible way and probably responsible keeping Rand in tact in more than one way. Btw, sorry about the rant and welcome!

I don't disagree with this. I think it should be pointed out that Min is the only one of the three that doesn't have other responsibilities apart from following Rand around and bedding him. I don't think that means the others love him any less or are any less loyal... only that they are staying true to who they were before they met Rand rather than essentially being a groupie.

Now I don't dislike Min - at all - I just think the other two aren't fairly regarded sometimes.

Ok, let's take a look as who they were before they met him:

Elane(sp) was supposed to be the queen of Andor after Morgase "died" and yet that duty did not get on her list to do until white tower was done with her. I think it is clear where her loyalty is and it is not with Rand, which is ok. But it also is not with Andor, or at least WT comes first.

Avi - was supposed to be next to Rand and teach him Aiel ways. She was supposed to become Wise One. Instead she leaves him bc she bedded him and runs away like a little girl to Elane. Forsakens her duty to her people and to wise ones. She pretty much had to be dragged out from Andor. Wise One thing was not hers from the gecko and she did not want to be one. but what about Aiel? I think it is safe to say that Avi does not follow who she was before she met Rand either.

Min - was minding her own business. than realized she can truly help in more than one way. there can not be a better place for her than next to Rand. or would you have her at the WT?!!!

****breathing hard***** ok, ok, I over reacted, but please don't call her "groupie". She is probably the only one who loves Rand for who he is and not for what he is.

I have to agree here...especially with regards to the later books, Min is the only of Rand's Love Rectangle that really helps on a daily basis, talking to him, making him feel human, loving him both physically and emotionally (Jeez, he's stressed and wound up enough to begin with!!). That's not even mentioning her Viewings coming in super handy. Her loyalty, as mentioned before, is without question even when Rand is at his most paranoid and crazy. That says something. 

I'm one of those few huge Rand fans (you can keep Mat and Perrin!) and of all three couples, Rand+Min are the best imho. It takes a few books, but they work the best and their love is really quite palpable. I was just rereading sections of LoC where Min reunites with Rand and he is simply besotted to ssee her again. He picks her up and twirls her around one too many times, promises her the 2nd best rooms in the palace (because the best are his), holds her hand as he runs through the palace, and then is really upset that she's mad b/c she's dizzy from all the twirling. He plays his flute for her, and she's the only one who can make him laugh and smile. He's so dorky and cute with Min. Not at all like that with Elayne and Aviendha.

Frankly, all the characters in the book should kneel down and thank Min for keeping Rand as sane as he is. She is the ONLY reason why.

Zidel333 - I have to second that motion (or "third it" or "fourth it" or..whatever) :) Min is everything a man can wish for. She is a true leopard RJ talked about, imop. She is loving and caring but we also have seen couple time when she was ready to snap Rand's head off. And I think bc she is not always in his face about everything, when she does stand up to him he actually listens. Pick your battles.

I can't stand Min.  I feel she is SO whiney!  Rand this, and Rand that.  Look back at most of her POV's, and she whines about Rand more than Avi and Elayne combined times 3!  I am in favor of Min dying.  Honestly, Min gives us her viewings, but how do they really advance the story?  Everything she told us about would have happened with out her, IMO.  Death to Min!

Uhm... People try to turn down the whole talking about future books thing. Remember, this guy is only on LoC

Also personally i love min, she definately has to be my third favorite character, after Mat and Logain, first and second respectively. I like how shes probably the only sort of "normal" main character in the story, not from a different culture, cant channel etc.

I tend to view character as subordinate to plot (save where said character is directly related to plot), so her lack of participation other than the foreshadowing-plot-device/visions is a mark against her for me. Character could have made up for that, but I don't find that it came across as being especially notable (despite it still being very good, of course, like all RJ's characters).

Posts have disapeared and I wish to spank nophone thoroughly for them. All that I will say, for those of you that saw them before I deleted them, is that the reason they disapeared is not the reason you think they disapeared. What he said was patently incorrect.

Let there be no further discussion on the issue.

Hello there, I'm kind of a newbie to the series (just started LoC).  I opened this topic becuase, well to sort of discuss the character of Min.

Am I the only one that doesn't like her?

Don't get me wrong, being able to see parts of the pattern is a really cool ability, but her character just bugs me.  Every time Rand mentions "Min never made me feel awkward" I cringe.  I've never been a fan of love at first site adn Min kinda takes it to the extreme.  It's extremeley annoying when Min has to mention at least once every chapter that I have to get away so I can be with Rand when she's only seen him a handful of times.  If it wasn't her interesting viewings I'd skip over her chapters.  I try, but I just I just don't think I'll ever be able to like her, or even be indifferent to her.   

your not. trust me.

Min may be extremely tomboyish but she is the one that is truly trying to keep Rand live past the time until he has to fight The Dark One.

She does have her faults but she also one of a slim few that truly care for Rand as a person instead of as the Dragon Reborn

How can you not like Min?! I never noticed her whiney-ness  :( she always seemed like the most down-to-earth, genuinely caring and not bratty female in the series. Unlike Nyn, Elayne, and Egwene, who all have terrible attitudes.

But I also have no problems with Faile, who many consider to be their least favorite character...

Archived