DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What prequels/outriggers would you like to see?

Impressive Bosom

And, still a gross misinterpretation of what the word 'consider' means in the given context. Or rather, a misinterpretation of who the word is aimed at.

It wasn't the word 'consider' that was interpretted... it was in fact the context surrounding it.

Under no circumstances should any books other than the five I mentioned be allowed to be even considered...

That seems pretty definitive to me, context and all - especially when you consider that the title of the thread is what would you LIKE to see, not what will you see or even what should you see.

But forget it... you guys win. Discussion successfully quashed.

Team Jordan might not plan on writing any more and that's simple fact. That no other books should even be thought of, particularly by fans, is just an opinion and a sketchy one at that. I don't doubt that there were many people saying similar things before Tolkein's son took up the mantle, or Frank Herbert's, yet both expounded upon and ultimately improved the worlds, mythology and legacy their father's had created and did so consistent with the spirit and intent of the original author.
Just to address this point, Christopher Tolkien didn'y write any new stories in his father's setting, he simply edited existing material, and many people have expressed dissatisfaction at the way Brian Herbert has treated his father's legacy - no respect, just a money-spinner. In RJ's case, he wanted WoT to be finished, he mentioned writing some other stories in the setting which might be written, and there will be an encyclopaedia, which will contain new information. The last thing we want is for WoT to end up like Dune, with endless sequels and prequels.

You know what? I think this thread would have been better titled "For Those Who Would Like More Wheel of Time, What Would You Like To See?"

That way nobody could come along and spam it with their so-called "right" opinions. I think its pretty obvious the likelihood of these stories being published was not the point and it was for those of a like mind to dicsuss.

If we name our threads a bit clearer in future Impressive Bosom, you know, with the pointless but obviously necessary disclaimer in the title and whatnot, we might avoid this kind of crap

You know what? I think this thread would have been better titled "For Those Who Would Like More Wheel of Time, What Would You Like To See?"

That way nobody could come along and spam it with their so-called "right" opinions. I think its pretty obvious the likelihood of these stories being published was not the point and it was for those of a like mind to dicsuss.

If we name our threads a bit clearer in future Impressive Bosom, you know, with the pointless but obviously necessary disclaimer in the title and whatnot, we might avoid this kind of crap

I guess I just kind of assumed that EVERYONE would like to see more Wheel of Time. Go figure.

Perhaps if I renamed it 'What prequels/outriggers would you like to see even though you never, never, never, never will and its pointless to discuss?'

:-*

I guess I just kind of assumed that EVERYONE would like to see more Wheel of Time. Go figure.

Perhaps if I renamed it 'What prequels/outriggers would you like to see even though you never, never, never, never will and its pointless to discuss?'

Im just waiting for all this to be deleted to hide their mistake. Wouldnt be the first time  :D

I honestly hope that we will get at least something more to the series once it's completed.

I say lets all forget the last PAGE OF NONSENSE and get back to what we would DREAM of seeing ( just to be clear we know we won't get it but lets discuss anyway)

I say an Artur Hawkwing POV story

Would you really prefer it POV? I wonder if that story wouldn't be better told by those around him, those who faced him in battle and fought aloneside of him... I'd be really interested in following the intrigue of the White Tower during his ascension to power...

I say lets all forget the last PAGE OF NONSENSE and get back to what we would DREAM of seeing ( just to be clear we know we won't get it but lets discuss anyway)

Would you really prefer it POV? I wonder if that story wouldn't be better told by those around him, those who faced him in battle and fought aloneside of him... I'd be really interested in following the intrigue of the White Tower during his ascension to power...

you have a point, but it would also be good to see how he thought of what he was doing, like if he really thought what he was doing was right, or if he just thought it was what would be best for Randland. that is what i had in mind when i posted but i was still a little irked at the juvenile argument above so i didn't convey the right opinion if you understand. :-[ sorry about that.

you have a point, but it would also be good to see how he thought of what he was doing, like if he really thought what he was doing was right, or if he just thought it was what would be best for Randland. that is what i had in mind when i posted but i was still a little irked at the juvenile argument above so i didn't convey the right opinion if you understand. :-[ sorry about that.

What'd be good about it as well, is that him being Compelled could be an ongoing thing we as readers would already recognize from his symptoms. It'd be good to read of, although I do wonder if any of the other Heroes were born in his time? If so then I'd like it a lot if Artur Hawkwings entourage included Gaidal Cain and some others.

Did the Horn exist in the AoL? When was Hawkwing, in relation to Lews Therin?

Says Team Jordan. And rightly so.

Team Jordan might not plan on writing any more and that's simple fact. That no other books should even be thought of, particularly by fans, is just an opinion and a sketchy one at that. I don't doubt that there were many people saying similar things before Tolkein's son took up the mantle, or Frank Herbert's, yet both expounded upon and ultimately improved the worlds, mythology and legacy their father's had created and did so consistent with the spirit and intent of the original author.

Did you just compare the new Dune books as favorable or even improving upon the original series? That's blasphemy my friend. You need to get to http://www.jacurutu.com/ and read up on why you're completely and utterly wrong. To be honest, I'm almost offended you'd even try to claim the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's "work" as support for your argument. Actually, no. I am offended. Dune is a masterpiece. And BH and KJA milk it for all the money they can. There is no justice in the world. At least Christopher Tolkien has the sense not to write his own LotR novels....

As for what I'd like to see,

-the Breaking of the 1st Age, which is when Channeling the One Power is (re)discovered.

-How the Mercedes Benze hood ornament from the Tanchico's Panarch's Palace Museum survived all this time

-Removed. Spoilers.

-Stories from the Age of the Wolf Brothers, and the Age of the Aura Readers (like Min)

-4th Age stories in general

I want to see all the prequels and outriggers that robert jordan did notes for.  Obviously brandon is doing great at writing these books from the notes and I love his writing.  Stories planned by robert jordan are too good not to tell.

I think the most obvious candidate for the next prequel would be a single novel split between the perspectives of Tam and Tigraine.

So the novel begins with Tam in the Two Rivers, preparing to leave and become a soldier, and Tigraine in Camelyn, living in the palace and learning that she has to run away.

The narrative point of view goes back and forth, but the two never meet until the final chapter, when Tigraine gives birth and dies and Tam takes baby Rand.

Another great book would essentially be the "Life and Times of Thom Merrilin," for lack of a better title. Thom is by far the most awesome character in the entire series. He's like James Bond, if James Bond could juggle and had an awesome mustache.

Plus, there's a lot of material to cover, from learning the game of houses in his youth (possibly drawing connections to House Damodred), Morgase's ascension to thrown and tangling with the Red sisters who gentled his nephew.

And if Sanderson is up to the challenge, he could write it in first-person perspective, as if Thom is actually telling his own story.

I think the most obvious candidate for the next prequel would be a single novel split between the perspectives of Tam and Tigraine.

So the novel begins with Tam in the Two Rivers, preparing to leave and become a soldier, and Tigraine in Camelyn, living in the palace and learning that she has to run away.

The narrative point of view goes back and forth, but the two never meet until the final chapter, when Tigraine gives birth and dies and Tam takes baby Rand.

Another great book would essentially be the "Life and Times of Thom Merrilin," for lack of a better title. Thom is by far the most awesome character in the entire series. He's like James Bond, if James Bond could juggle and had an awesome mustache.

Plus, there's a lot of material to cover, from learning the game of houses in his youth (possibly drawing connections to House Damodred), Morgase's ascension to thrown and tangling with the Red sisters who gentled his nephew.

And if Sanderson is up to the challenge, he could write it in first-person perspective, as if Thom is actually telling his own story.

You and I are on the same page with a lot of this... obviously a great many of us would love for their to be a never-ending stream of stories from the world we have grown to know and love.

I'd like to see a 'Wanderers' trilogy, one book each telling the story of Thom Merrilin, Jaim farstrider and Elyas Machera. All three would make superb background stories fleshing out the era right up until Rand's birth. All three have had major dealings with everything from Aes Sedai to the court of Kings and Queens to the Dark One himself.

Next I'd love to see a book telling the two stories of Tam and Tigraine, touching on Rand's father, Slayer and even Padan Fain as well... it would be a very important book in the mythology of the series and the one I would want to read more than any other. The book could easily be a two-parter or a trilogy in and of itself if you start factoring in world-spanning events like Laman's Sin and the Aiel War.

I'd still love to see a series from the Age of Legends telling the original story of the Drilling of the Bore and all that came with it. The most fascinating way to do it, and an almost perversely enjoyable read IMO, would be to do 13 books, one told from the perspective of each of the eventual Chosen from the drilling to the final conflict at Shayol Gul... that way we could learn about each of them, their rise and fall and history. Even a brief perusal of the guidebook done makes it clear that every one of them has a fascinating (if at times disturbing) story to tell... and when was the last time you read an epic told exclusively from the villians point of view? 13 books might be a bit optimistic, but at least a trilogy could be written of that era and the events surrounding them.

That's at least 9 more books on top of the 15 already written/planned... and we haven't even touched on Artur Hawkwing or post-novels like Matt and Tuon's return to Seanchan. I could literally read this stuff forever. Even an open-ended collection of short stories 'Weavings of the Wheel' telling various stories of the Heroes of Legend throughout history would be fantastic.

A book covering the age of legends and lews therin telamon, and another with short stories on the trolloc wars, the hundred years war and a deeper backstory on Lan, Elyas, Thom and another with the rise of each forsaken.

However I have no intention of reading them if they arnt based on Rj's notes.

While I certainly wouldn't mind reading some stand-alones based on certain events or persons in Jordan's world, I find the idea of an explosion of trilogies, quartets and so on like in the Star Wars or DragonLance Universes to be just short of horrifying. DL as an example - beyond the canon books, there are maybe three or four trilogies that actually stand out and complement the canons rather just supplementing them. That's the biggest failing of those series I think, supplementing rather than complementing and ultimately adding little more to the books. An example: I loved kender a lot more before they started writing books about whole towns of them.

Churning out a book or trilogy for every single character of interest though? Really, no thanks.

Still, an author's take on the popular books of the WoT world would be fun - 'The Travels of Jain Farstrider' or 'The Flame, The Hart, and the Void' are good examples.

For art, two books strike me as possibilities: one for the Age of Legends and one for the *angreals.

Actual writing? Perhaps something to do with Artur Hawkwing and the Seanchan Empire and a book of short stories based on the Heroes.

Beyond all that, when you start churning out books for everything and anything, it takes some of the mystery and joy of speculation out of it, you know?

Great thread ;) I love thinking about stuff like this.

A thirteen-part series on the AOL, each book focusing on a different Forsaken! That would be something to see! Where would all the different Forsaken fit in I wonder...what do you think would be better Impressive Bosom, having a sort of Winter's Heart/Crossroads Of Twilight thing where each book is set in the same few years but from a different characters perspective, or something a bit more like the main series of WOT, where maybe each book could have a different Forsaken doing MOST of the viewpoints but not all, so the series would be more fluid chronologically? Either way, it's a great thought-maybe it would not have been that fantastic, even if Robert Jordan had wrote the whole thing, but it sure is fun and interesting to think and theorise about :)

I agree with the people who hold the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" and similar series' in poor esteem. There are only so many interesting stories in a writer's universe...

I wonder if the planned prequels and outriggers will go ahead? I know many complained about how Brandon handled Mat but I think he did it excellently-Mat was still funny to read, in a very different way, but I think it was very much intended. I think it was even mentioned in an interview how Mat's life had been turned upside down-more than once!-and for once, someone he loved left HIM as opposed to the other way around, and so he's not coping that well, and one of the ways he was coping was by trying to revert back to his old, childish sense of humour, ala EOTW and beforehand, hence the odd, mixed-up sense of humour Mat had in TGS. It seems not many others shared my viewpoint when they read TGS, or maybe just didn't consider it, but I really enjoyed Brandon writing Mat simply because I saw what he was doing and thought he did it tastefully, subtly and intelligently. As Mat comes to terms with himself in TOM and AMOL, I think we'll all appreciate and like how he's written a lot more. That all being said, I think Brandon could write the Seanchan outriggers pretty damn well. All up to him and Harriet though, but I really would like it if they were written.

I hope the other two prequels are written. Has anything been confirmed about Tigraine being intended to be included in the prequels, or is that just speculation? I think WOT hints at Tam's backstory a lot and that RJ DID intend all along to write a prequel focusing specifically on Tam, so I really think that prequel should be written. If RJ intended it and left behind plenty of notes (I assume he did!), why not?

Sorry for the possible wall of text! Let’s keep this thread alive, it’s very fascinating and fun :)

I would of liked to read the one with Tuon and the Seanchan, but what i think would of been really cool is a book based in the AOL. I really enjoyed the brief glimpse we get through rand in the glass columns and i think an entire book based there, would of been awesome. not sure who i would pick as the main character though.

• 2 weeks later...

I like a number of the new ideas here, especially the ones concerning the chosen and the AoL. There are a number of themes I would like to see expanded, but I think that I would really love to read of Cadsuane's life. Perhaps Verin's as well, but the former more so. I think that could be tied in with a number of the other perspectives suggested to make an extended prequel, if there was of course someone to take on this task.

As much as I would love to read about other ages, especially post last battle and pre-breaking, I would have to consider it a wholly different thing, even if Jordan wrote it. I am looking foward to the last book for the ending it will provide at least as much as I am for the answers, and so I would be reluctant to read beyond then. If it existed of course I would, but I wouldn't want to.

Aside from the ideas suggested already I can think of little better than expanding upon Cadsuane, as perhaps the most enigmatic character in the series. Of course I would like to read about Shara, and other places too, but again the world I have come to love is of this age, and situated between the waste and the Aryth ocean.

Oh actually maybe a blight perspective could be good, if done well. I don't know if any fan fiction exists from a trolloc/fade perspective, but it would be interesting to see.

Archived