DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What prequels/outriggers would you like to see?

Impressive Bosom

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already, but the search function did not yeild anything... I don't mean to ask what is rumored to be written, but rather what stories would you most be interested in? This could be anything from an Age of Legends Trilogy detailing the drilling of the Bore and the War that followed, to a single volume story like one telling Tam Al'Thor's story or that of Tigraine Mantear/Shaiel... perhaps even concurrent novels like the REAL story of Jaim Farstrider or Cadsuane Melaidhrin? Even the same events we have already read, but from new perspectives like Moraine's story leading up to her trip to Rhuidean and all that came after...

I remember the six Dragonlance Novels, after making their mark, proceeded to prolificly produce pre-quels and post-quels and especially books of shortstories that kind of 'filled in the gaps' in the world-spanning epic, fleshing out the overall story and giving it a much richer depth. Now I certainly don't want to see such a copious mass-production handed out to any would-be author with a word processor and the breadth and depth of RJ's opwn writings seem to preclude the need for such a thing - but how great would it be, as an homage of sorts, to have selected writers fill in some of the backstory from the notes RJ managed to make before he passed on?

At any rate - back to the question at hand: What stories would you like to see told?

Personally, I'd love to see:

An Age of Legends trilogy

A sort of pre-quel novel or trilogy telling both Tam and Shaiel's story concurrently including things like Janduin's death at Slayer's hands, the meeting of Isam and Luc to form Slayer and even the Aiel War, perhaps concluding with Tam returning to Emond's Field, letting us meet Kari Al'thor and all of the Women's Circle/Village Council, bringing everything full circle.

Unfortunately, the publication of 'A New Spring' kind of steals that thunder, as everything that happens in its pages would normally be included in such a story.

I think this is an interesting topic and I have thought about itmyself on occassion...My Two Top Choices would be:

1 I would like to read about the War of Shadow...The rise of Mordeth...the way he gained the ear of the king and the rise and fall of Aridhol...

2 I always kinda liked Altara ... Seeing how Tylin kept it together...Beslan, that sorta thing...actually...even as I type I think Id rather see more about Mayne lol....now THATS really a nation that is always having to be up to interesting stuff to keep from being gobbled up!!! (Plus, Berelain The Teenage Years!!! ;-)

Fish

I think this is an interesting topic and I have thought about itmyself on occassion...My Two Top Choices would be:

1 I would like to read about the War of Shadow...The rise of Mordeth...the way he gained the ear of the king and the rise and fall of Aridhol...

2 I always kinda liked Altara ... Seeing how Tylin kept it together...Beslan, that sorta thing...actually...even as I type I think Id rather see more about Mayne lol....now THATS really a nation that is always having to be up to interesting stuff to keep from being gobbled up!!! (Plus, Berelain The Teenage Years!!! ;-)

Fish

Berelain, the teenage years... um, wow.

I agree that the story of Aridhol could also be fascinating to read... not to mention that of Manetheren and Malkier. Perhaps a 'Lost Nations' trilogy, with a book detailing the story of each, hm?

A series of books on each of the individual Frosaken would be a fascinating read too, if admittedly dark.

I did a poll about this some time back:

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,49742.0.html

If I am not mistaken, Robert Jordan only promised these unwritten books::

-prequel where Tam finds Rand

-prequel of Moiraine's & Lan's trip to Two Rivers

-outrigger trilogy about Seanchan with at least one focusing on Mat & Tuon

Of what Robert Jordan promised, I would prefer the prequels.

Of other books, I would consider as ok.

Only thing that even has a chance at happening are the two prequels, and the outriggers (a trilogy about Mat and Tuon on the Seanchan continent). Tom Doherty wants the outriggers, Harriet is sceptical, and at the end of the day, it is her call. Books that RJ left notes about, so that they would still have a part of him in them if written. And if Harriet says ok to one or both of these projects, they will not be written for years, so Brandon can focus on his own books for a while after completing AMOL.

There will under no circumstances be any other books written in the world RJ created.

Only thing that even has a chance at happening are the two prequels, and the outriggers (a trilogy about Mat and Tuon on the Seanchan continent). Tom Doherty wants the outriggers, Harriet is sceptical, and at the end of the day, it is her call. Books that RJ left notes about, so that they would still have a part of him in them if written. And if Harriet says ok to one or both of these projects, they will not be written for years, so Brandon can focus on his own books for a while after completing AMOL.

There will under no circumstances be any other books written in the world RJ created.

The thread title is what would we like, not what we expect.

the outriggers (a trilogy about Mat and Tuon on the Seanchan continent)

We only know the first book will be about Mat and Tuon. A lot of people exclaim there is proof for it being a M/T trilogy, but I haven't seen any kind of confirmation for this (as opposed to the other to books being about f.e. Perrin/Faile and Rand/Min). And believe me, I've been looking for it.

the outriggers (a trilogy about Mat and Tuon on the Seanchan continent)

We only know the first book will be about Mat and Tuon. A lot of people exclaim there is proof for it being a M/T trilogy, but I haven't seen any kind of confirmation for this (as opposed to the other to books being about f.e. Perrin/Faile and Rand/Min). And believe me, I've been looking for it.

It was mentioned at, uhm, JordanCon, iirc.

Indeed. I stand corrected.

Of particular interest was the revelation from Tom that the “outrigger novels” that Jordan had long ago planned to do would have been a trilogy about the Seanchan' date=' with Mat and Tuon going back to her homeland to deal with the fallout there[/quote']

Thanks.  :-*

I agree that maybe a trilogy about the three greatest/most interesting Amyrlins throughout the modren age would be fascinating as well... kind of like snapshots of momentous times in time told from their perspective.

World of Darkness did a thing with their thirteen vampire clans once where they told a story, 13 novels long, one for each clan but it was an entire story throughout which worked its way through each one and evolved as it did. That would be a VERY cool way to do the Chosen set.

So...

An Age of Legends trilogy

A 'Fallen Nations' trilogy detailing the stories of Aridhol, Manetheren and Malkier

An 'Amyrlins' trilogy detailing the story of Bonwhin Meraighdin, Tamra Ospenya (the Aeil War), and the rise of Siun Sanche (or perhaps an 'Aes Sedai sextet' that also incluided the stories of Cadsuane Melaidhrin and Verin Mathwin, among others.

A Chosen series, which could be as long as 13 individual books.

A prequel trilogy, which could include 'A New Spring' as well as Tam and Tigraine's story, the Aeil War, Laman's sin, the early machinations of the Ishamael, etc.

A series of shortstories, gathered into 1 volume or 3, covering a wide variety of lesser characters... perhaps even a 'Wandering Souls' trilogy covering from Thom Merrilin, Elyas Machera and Jaim Farstrider, all of whom would have fascinating prequel stories to tell that would very profoundly effect the current series.

Now really... is there ANYONE who wouldn't read every word of what I describe above? Is there anything I might have missed?

Well, it so happens that what I expect is the exact same as what I would like. Under no circumstances should any books other than the five I mentioned be allowed to be even considered, and I am not sure about those five.

Well, it so happens that what I expect is the exact same as what I would like. Under no circumstances should any books other than the five I mentioned be allowed to be even considered, and I am not sure about those five.

Says you. :-\

Says Team Jordan. And rightly so.

Obviously RJ's wife is and should be the only person to make this decision, knowing the author's wishes as she does... but to say definitively that 'Under no circumstances should any books other than the five I mentioned be allowed to be even considered' I think is just plain wrong. The debate about which books, if any is a legitimate one, but to deny anyone the right to even think about them is silly.

Team Jordan might not plan on writing any more and that's simple fact. That no other books should even be thought of, particularly by fans, is just an opinion and a sketchy one at that. I don't doubt that there were many people saying similar things before Tolkein's son took up the mantle, or Frank Herbert's, yet both expounded upon and ultimately improved the worlds, mythology and legacy their father's had created and did so consistent with the spirit and intent of the original author.

Call me crazy, but I'm not a big believer in telling other people what they should or shouldn't be allowed to 'consider', especially when it comes to fans discussing what they love on a site dedicated to that very purpose.

That is a gross misinterpretation of what 'consider' means in the given context.

Perhaps I misunderstood you and if so then I apologize. To me the conversation seemed to go like this:

What books would you like to see written or stories told?

The ones we know about are the only ones we're going to get.

But this thread is about what you would like, not what we know we're going to get or not get.

What we are going to get is all we should want. There should only be the five we know about and nothing else should even be considered. Maybe not even those five.

Wow, um... sorry for bringing it up then.

Perhaps throwing an 'in my opinion' or something in there might help clarify our stances, yes? Making the statements a little less absolute...

Team Jordan might not plan on writing any more and that's simple fact. That no other books should even be thought of, particularly by fans, is just an opinion and a sketchy one at that.

No, it's a fact. Harriet has been quite clear about her postion on expanding the series, and she owns the rights. There will be no stories in the Wheel of Time world beyond RJ's suggested Prequals and Outriggers, and she seems very sceptical about both of those anyway.

Call me crazy, but I'm not a big believer in telling other people what they should or shouldn't be allowed to 'consider', especially when it comes to fans discussing what they love on a site dedicated to that very purpose.

I do call that crazy, but not to be mean. I just don't see the worth in a discussion of a subject that Harriet has made utterly impossible.

This will not happen.

Team Jordan might not plan on writing any more and that's simple fact. That no other books should even be thought of, particularly by fans, is just an opinion and a sketchy one at that.

No, it's a fact. Harriet has been quite clear about her postion on expanding the series, and she owns the rights. There will be no stories in the Wheel of Time world beyond RJ's suggested Prequals and Outriggers, and she seems very sceptical about both of those anyway.

I do call that crazy, but not to be mean. I just don't see the worth in a discussion of a subject that Harriet has made utterly impossible.

This will not happen.

So we really can't talk about the things we'd like to read, even if it is unlikely that we would ever get the chance? We can't wish to know even more about the world that was so clearly a labor of love for RJ, one in which there is a huge depth of material which hasn't yet been and likely never will be released? We can't talk about which parts of the story we'd have liked to know more about?

You know... the events that are described in the Wheel of Time also will never actually happen. That doesn't keep me from discussing them with other fans.

Clearly we are in agreement that Team Jordan doesn't plan on expanding the series. We seem to be in disagreement over whether or not fans are allowed to think of and discuss what they wish had been or would be written despite that fact.

So we really can't talk about the things we'd like to read, even if it is unlikely that we would ever get the chance?

You can discuss things that will never happen, but don't delude yourself. It is not unlikely these stories will be told, it's impossible.

If it helps at all, Harriet and Maria are making an Encyclopedia containing information compiled from RJ's four million words of notes.

But those stories will not be told. Sorry.

So we really can't talk about the things we'd like to read, even if it is unlikely that we would ever get the chance?

You can discuss things that will never happen, but don't delude yourself. It is not unlikely these stories will be told, it's impossible.

If it helps at all, Harriet and Maria are making an Encyclopedia containing information compiled from RJ's four million words of notes.

But those stories will not be told. Sorry.

I get that. Totally. And I made my peace with it a long time ago. There's nothing wrong (in my opinion) with discussing things we as fans might enjoy, even if we won't get them. I wanted to be a gymnast once, and even when I hit a growth spurt and it became impossible, my friends and family did not refuse to allow me to enjoy the idea... and through our shared experiences in RJ's amazing work I consider us friends and family.

Maybe there should be a sticky for things that 'under no circumtances should be allowed to be even considered', so that we don't waste our time as fans pointlessly discussing things we might like...

So we really can't talk about the things we'd like to read, even if it is unlikely that we would ever get the chance? We can't wish to know even more about the world that was so clearly a labor of love for RJ, one in which there is a huge depth of material which hasn't yet been and likely never will be released? We can't talk about which parts of the story we'd have liked to know more about?

There is quite a difference between a discussion of what events we would like to see elaborated, and a discussion about books we know with 100% certainity will never happen.

As Luckers said, Harriet and Maria will write an encyclopedia that will very likely include loads of little tidbits. We know which prequels and outrigers that does have a chance of happening, albeit a small one, and can have fairly good ideas of what information that could be sneaked into these if they were to be written. Heck, once AMOL is published, there is even the possibility of getting Brandon and Harriet to reveal little extra tidbits at signings.

In other words, there is no need to turn tWoT into something like Star Wars EU in order to elaboate on things, that can very well be done within the confirmed framework.

Archived