DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred (Full Spoilers).

Luckers

Back on topic...I'm going to suggest that we've been seeing Demandred's handiwork all along, without realizing it.  I submit for your contemplation that Demandred is, in fact, in possession of quite a large and savage army right in the southern end of Randland.  An army of Dragonsworn.

Think about it.  Masema sees a glorified vision of Rand who gives him orders.  The Dragonsworn have torn the countryside to shreds in the name of the Lord Dragon.  What better way for Demandred, Lews Therin's greatest rival, to thumb his nose at him than to masquerade as the reborn Dragon himself?  Then when Rand gets annoyed and tries to rein them in, all Demandred has to do is convince Masema that Rand's the impostor...

Faile and a number of the other refugees killed Masema and the remaining Dragonsworn with him some time after their rescue.

I also believe Demandred's the one giving orders to Isam, but that's just the icing on the cake.

Moridin seems more likely since the person seemed hesitant about killing Rand.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe he controls the Children of the Light. I have no proof, it just sounds cool, hahahahahaha!

Which faction?

There's more than one left alive?

One is with Perrin.  The other we have not yet heard from; I would guess they are still alive.

Asunawa has 4,000 with him still under Seanchan rule. Suroth was considering making them all da'covale, but we never hear further on it.

Suroth's a darkfriend, and I'd guess some of those in command of Asunawa's Questioners are darkfriends.  Maybe even Questioner Einor Saren, who looks to be a piece of work in his own right? 

Einor Saren knew who the Strangers were who landed at Toman's Head (Seanchan), and yet he did not want the Lord Captain Geofram Bornhald to know the truth about them.  Einor Saren 'pacified a village' on the Almoth Plain.  :(  It wouldn't surprise me to learn in ToM book that Questioner Saren is himself a darkfriend.

Theres also some signs that point to Rhadam Asunawa maybe being a darkfriend too, or at least that he suspects there are darkfriends at work in the Inquistors. CoT prologue in particular has alot of telling signs.

In any case, I dont think Demandred has anything major to do with them. Not a major enough force anyhow to fit with the whole "my rule is secure." He may have exerted some influence through a proxy like Saren however.

Theres also some signs that point to Rhadam Asunawa maybe being a darkfriend too, or at least that he suspects there are darkfriends at work in the Inquistors. CoT prologue in particular has alot of telling signs.

In any case, I dont think Demandred has anything major to do with them. Not a major enough force anyhow to fit with the whole "my rule is secure." He may have exerted some influence through a proxy like Saren however.

I remember veeeery old discussion about Asuwana, (old like book 4 or 5) concluding that he was ...**not** a nice person, ok, but neither was he a DF. Has that changed ?

• 1 month later...

I just thought these following tweets are amazing, so let me ask you fellas something. First, Brandon said:

Okay, @DirektorDoom asks a question I get on tour. "Is it possible to figure out Demandred's identity with the information we have?

And now, Theoryland is holding its breath. I think I might have actually answered on tour. I'm not sure what RJ said on the matter, but...

I will say only this. There ARE clues. I think it could be figured out. Maybe. It's much, much harder than Asmo's killer.

Obviously, I must be tight-lipped. Can it be figured out: Yes. Will it make you smack your heads & say "I should have seen it!" Probably not

So... What do you think he's talking about? See, that's a different question than who you think Damandred is. Reasons for thinking this or that aren't the same as CLUES in the books, are they? A clue needs to be... indicative, doesn't it?

I just thought these following tweets are amazing, so let me ask you fellas something. First, Brandon said:

Okay, @DirektorDoom asks a question I get on tour. "Is it possible to figure out Demandred's identity with the information we have?

And now, Theoryland is holding its breath. I think I might have actually answered on tour. I'm not sure what RJ said on the matter, but...

I will say only this. There ARE clues. I think it could be figured out. Maybe. It's much, much harder than Asmo's killer.

Obviously, I must be tight-lipped. Can it be figured out: Yes. Will it make you smack your heads & say "I should have seen it!" Probably not

So... What do you think he's talking about? See, that's a different question than who you think Damandred is. Reasons for thinking this or that aren't the same as CLUES in the books, are they? A clue needs to be... indicative, doesn't it?

Interesting.

Presumably somebody who's been mentioned in sufficient detail for readers to register. Again, somebody who wasn't onstage until TGS, from first principles. Roedran or some borderlander would be the highest probability candidates I suppose.

Interesting.

Presumably somebody who's been mentioned in sufficient detail for readers to register. Again, somebody who wasn't onstage until TGS, from first principles. Roedran or some borderlander would be the highest probability candidates I suppose.

Would Galgan fit as well?  I was thinking Roedran or Galgan.

Incidentally Brendon clarified on facebook that he wasn't confirming that Demandred was actually posing as someone, more that he meant just its possible to figure out what Demandred is up to. I'll post the specifics when I get home (though Terez and Tamyrlin from Theoryland were in the convo so it's probably up on the Theoryland database by now)

Heres the comments from the theoryland database.

"The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Powell's Books, Portland, OR 19 November 2009 - Matrimony Cauthon reporting

Someone asked for clarification about whether we had seen Mesaana's and Demandred's alter-egos on screen. Sanderson said that we had seen Mesaana's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams, but that we had not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams. Sanderson would not elaborate on whether Demandred's alter-ego had been seen in The Gathering Storm—Sanderson didn't want to narrow down the suspects for us if Demandred really had appeared in The Gathering Storm."

SO... is there a list of characters that have been introduced in TGS that might fit this?

Here we go. Facebook clarification...

Brandon Sanderson: Ah, I see. Well, let me add the official clarification onto what I've said: Basically, I'm not merely talking about "Alter Ego" here when I reply to the "Figure out Demandred's Identity" question. I look at that question as a larger "What he's been up to, what he's been influencing, where he's hiding" that sort of thing.

Why make this distinction? Well, it's because of things that (likely) others have figured out already. Demandred hasn't been in-guise in the books at least up to KoD. So energies focused on "exactly who is he" would be pointless, to an extent. If he is indeed imitating someone, you haven't seen that someone through most of the series. At least not in person. You may have seen them now, but if so, they haven't been on-screen for long.

So, what I'm saying is basically this: There are clues as to what Demandred is up to. You could figure that out. I think it would be hard, but not so hard that someone won't guess it. (And, knowing WoT fandom, someone probably has.)

Archived