DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Claire, if you're reading this...

cosmicpanda

Soprano I or Soprano II (just kidding, they both use the same clef ;) )

It is Treble, indeed.  I'm assuming you are referring to the opening movement Kyrie (which is in B minor), as that is one of the most famous parts and has a soprano part (there are some sections with no soprano I or II voices.)

bach_mass_1_m.jpg

and a more modern printing

width=312 height=480http://www.musicroom.fr/images/catalogue/fullsize/GS30132.jpg[/img]

Heh, heh.

I'm dividing the points between Claire and Empy for this one. They both got the answer nearly right.

The alto clef is a specific case of C clef (the treble clef is a specific case of G clef). When the C clef is centered on the middle line, that is the alto clef - when it is centered on the lowest line of the stave, that is the soprano clef.

So, Empy was on the right track, and I award him 20 points.

Claire gets 10 points for effort - she was completely wrong in saying it was the treble clef, as it was the  soprano clef, but she posted Bach's original manuscript which shows that it was the soprano clef indeed. And that must've taken some effort so she gets my admiration and a consolation prize. :D

As for Schirmer's edition - well, you've stumbled into the messy world of Bach performance and editorial practices, there.

Archived