DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Plotline (Spoilers for the whole book)

JenniferL

I really enjoyed Mat's "voice" in TGS.

Does anyone actually know if the changes in Mat were written by BrS or by RJ? Which parts were written by whom? If Mats parts were written by BrS, were the changes influenced by RJ? Were other changes influenced by RJ, or are all changes the fault of BrS?

Any way you look at it, RJ is gone, and you'll either have to move on, or stop reading. Quit trying to crucify BrS. He is doing a better job than any of his critics could. This is a very eloborate series, with a huge following. Each and every reader has a different idea of where the story should end up. Those who dont like where it goes, will blame BrS. He has one of the hardest writing tasks in history and I, for one, think he is surpassing all expectations.

END RANT!

Cheers to that! 

When I first heard a new author had been selected to complete the story, my immediate reaction was ..... uhhh .... hmmmm ... wellll now .... ummmm.... OK then.  Once the shock subsided, ruminations on the potential of disaster vs. heroic culmination began.  Glimmers of hope first sparked, kindled ever so delicately, like the brush of a baby's eyelash, and grew to a tiny flame flickering amidst the smoke. 

Maybe the story would be concluded, perhaps another could take up the mantle...it might just be possible to see this journey to the end with the honor and integrity demanded.

BrS is new to me as an author (other than blogs posts leading up to tGS) and I have studiously avoided details re: his other publications.  Knowing the new author was a true fan of the series was enough for me to set aside doubt and jump into the Prologue, Ch.1, then finally on the 27th, tGS.  I do not read chapter titles in advance, and had already re-read the previously released material multiple times so Ch. 2 and I'm off.....tGS certainly vindicated the hope that had disappeared for me with RJ's passing.

Two days of monitoring a perfectly timed replacement window project, with my entire focus on the pages held lovingly in front of me (they did a good job regardless), and I rarely stopped to consider where BrS began and RJ ended.  All of the primary characters have grown and developed throughout the series, indeed those transformations have been integral to the dynamic nature of the books.  RJs sense of pacing and rhythm also changed as the series developed.  Within each book, and within the full cycle of the series, the drumbeats quicken as the Last Battle approaches.  tGS continues that acceleration while introducing its own voice to the chorus.

Mat, while not the same, appears consistent with his personal growth and considering the recent development of marriage.  Top that off with the sudden separation from Tuon for an indeterminate length of time, knowing she is always in danger and under threat ... well it seems to me that could all tend to get to a fella.  Especially an only partially reformed wise guy like Matrim Cauthon.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone besides me wonder what the point was of having Mat in This book? Don't get me wrong, Mat is, bar none, my favorite character (After all, of all the main characters he is is presnted with the most choices and inevitably, he makes the right one..even if he doesn grumble about the whole thing!*G*), but except for his meeting with Verin, nothing he did in TGS  was important. His fight in the town was pretty Badass, but to what end ?

To me, it felt like his portion of TGS was an add-on to make sure he was included..And yes, the same thing could have ben said about Perrin's portion...In contrast, in KOD, both of them had important things to do that were intergal to the plotline..Not so in TGS..

I didn't mind their portions of the book, I just wonder why they were included at all..

If they were not included alot of peopel would have been upset, but with the story concerned it helps lines things up for the next book so you know the time lines and how things fall when this that and the other thing happend .... like when we are reaidng the next book in perins POV and nyn shows up to get Tam we know where that book is meeting up with TGS.

It helps create the time line and sets things in motion

I personally think they will have to bring in fire, iron, and an instrument. But i don't know.

Isn't that pretty much a given fact by now? I mean... it's been foreshadowed to death.

I believe that 99% of the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of those whom bought and read TGS have the same or similar opinion about TGS.

That's a pretty arbitrary statistic, and kind of ludicrous really. 99% of the readers of ANY book are never going to share the same opinion, even if it is yours.  ;)

I do agree with Jonn, as I've told him personally.

The change in Mat is in the way he's WRITTEN, not in some change that is perceived to have happened to his personality. What is the big chatechism between the end of KoD and the beginning of TGS? He married Tuon and sent her away, but he was basically resigned to that fact throughout that entire book, and we had plenty of POV of him in that book to see how he felt about it. In any case, finally completing a ceremony that you knew was inevitable isn't enough to turn one person into a completely different person. (Let alone enough to completely, radically change a friend as well -- Talmanes.)

To those who say that Mat didn't change, I daresay you haven't read Mat's sections in previous books as frequently or as closely as those MANY of us who are uncomfortable about the change. If you spell his name "Matt", that's a pretty good indication that you're not paying close enough attention.

And frankly Vambram, if you peruse the threads on this board, or on any of the many other discussion sites going right now, back when people were just starting to finish the book, you will find many, many people who noted the difference in the way BS wrote Mat and the way RJ did. Some people may say "I noticed the difference, but it didn't bother me." Or "I noticed the difference, but I still love the book." And that's fine. I didn't mind the book myself. But I can't condone writing Mat as if he were a 21st century character, and making such a complete switcheroo with Talmanes.

And the point is that acting like no one else sees a difference between KoD Mat and TGS Mat, just because YOU don't see a difference, doesn't fly. Too many people have also noted the anomaly for it to be nit-pickers or arbitrary complainers.

I felt Mat was written like.... perhaps above-average fanfic. RJ had a deft hand with the humorous running joke of "I'm not going to do such-and-such. I'm not going to do it. No way will I do it. Nope!" when you know they're going to do it in the end. He used it with most of the characters at one point or another. BS hasn't mastered that, for me, yet. I didn't find it funny, just obvious.

The section about Mat creating the aliases would have been amusing if it wasn't SO out-of-character. It also read as a really contemporary thing to do. Mat has never liked writing, I can't see him sitting down and writing pages of backstory in this setting. It doesn't even really make sense in his plan--it wasn't necessary. The scene was JUST put in for a laugh, but it was way out of place. What, did Mat take a creative writing course at some point along the way?

Just because you enjoyed or really loved the book, or really appreciate BS for writing the book (not like hundreds of other authors wouldn't have leaped at the opportunity anyhow, so it's not like he did us some favor), doesn't mean that you have to act like the book was written flawlessly. BS said he wasn't going to try to mimic RJ's style because it would be disrespectful (how again?), but I think that was a tactical mistake. For the sake of the fans and the unity of the series, now and years and years in the future when some kid in a futuristic library picks up EotW and starts this series, I think he should have attempted to preserve one continuous voice throughout the rest of the series.

I believe the Village killing spree, could have easily been RJ's idea and BS just placed it where it ended up.  I liked it.  I agree that there may have been a some parts of the writing that were a little "choppy" or story lines that were closed a little too quickly or awkwardly. But, I attribute that to RJ really stretching some plot lines way , way out and it just seems to us that they closed them quickly.  

I believe Mat seems to be written a little bit like he was in the earlier books.  Some of the sentence structure might be different, but I did not get the idea that it was too far off of the Mat as Tylin's toy.  

i knew that it was a given but that line was in response to another person that had asked about how they were to cheat.

to the change of Mat: the next book will have a lot more of him. so we will definitely be able to better judge how much of a difference between the writing styles of Mat by RJ and BS. I personally think that some change will definitely due to the fact that he is married, but i agree with those that say the back stories part was too much.

I just don't get how so may hate on the backstory thing.

A big part of Mat's job in the series seems to be comic relief.  Those stories are the first truly funny thing he has done or said in several books.  His humor had been pretty lame for quite awhile, and he'd been largely just irritatingly immature.

It was good to laugh.  It was even better to see Mat as something other than stuck at 13 like he's been for so long.

it was funny. and some people do take their view of Mat a little too seriously (or way too seriously).

Like i said he is growing up because he is married now. im not sure how others can't see that. BS practically beat us over the head with it.

How has Mat suddenly matured into a completely new person in the space of a few days or weeks since the end of KoD? What life-altering event has occurred to spark such a drastic and sudden change? Tuon finished the marriage ceremony? He knew that was inevitable. So aside from that... what has happened that has him suddenly matured into a completely new person, so abruptly? Must have been a doozy.

What BS wrote was amusing, in a different setting. It was too contemporary though. And it's really not in character with Mat at all. Writing pages and pages of intricate aliases? Huh? It was funnily written--if it was a different book series I would laugh. BS wrote Rand and Egwene adequately (I do have some quibble with the latter, but nothing that bothers me enough to bring it up, just minor things), and Perrin is Perrin. But with Mat, he really shot wide of the mark. Mat shouldn't be "comic relief." He's a fun character to read, but he shouldn't be squashed into some one-dimensional "class clown." That's unfair.

And as far as Talmanes, well let's compare RJ's previous books with this latest. Since some people still claim they don't see any difference, I can only assume they haven't re-read in a while, or don't pay much attention to those particular scenes, so I've taken the liberty of pulling some passages to compare. Before and after, if you will.

(I've loaned out KoD so I don't have it on hand to pull quotes from.)

TPoD:

Talmanes stood with arms folded, observing the goings-on with an amused smile that did not reach his eyes... there was a wry touch to his voice when he said... He studied her seriously before speaking... His smile nearly touched his eyes this time.

Loc:

"We are trying to figure out how to win some of our money back from you," Talmanes said, unsmiling over his winecup. He was not upset. Only a few years older than Mat's twenty, and a head shorter, Talmanes seldom smiles.

Mat wished Talmanes would smile once in a while; it would help to know when he was serious. He certainly sounded serious.

Daerid doubled over the pommel of his saddle laughing, and Nalesean nearly fell off his house. Talmanes stifferend at first, but finally he grinned. He almost chuckled. The man did not have much sense of humor, but he did have some.

--------------

TGS:

Talmanes wasn't stern, he was just reserved. But at times, there seemed to be a twinkle to the nobleman's eyes, as if he were laughing at the world, despite that set jaw and his unsmiling lips.

He said it with a perfectly straight face, but there was that hint of a smile in his eyes, if you knew just where to look.

That twinkle to his eyes was back, thought he spoke with a completely earnest voice.

Why is Mat starting into Talmanes' eyes so much, looking for a hint of a smile. He never cared before, sheesh.

...he simply spurred his horse forward, face stoic, eyes betraying just a hint of amusement. "Well I've got to see this, then!"

Ahead, Talmanes turned around and glanced at Mat, then rolled his eyes.

Talmanes had some funny lines. Which would have been OK with other characters, but he's never really cracked a joke before in the series. He hummed a song once.

Frequent mentions of him smoking a pipe and pointing the stem at Mat when they talk. Even Mat notes that the pipe is new and wondered where he got it. I wonder WHY he got it. Talmanes never smoked or mentioned that he liked to smoke before. Why insert some new character trait straight off the bat? He mentions it was a present from Roedran, but in that case, he should have had it last book as well.

"...something about houw {Talmanes} has one eyes that stares in strange directions, and how he often carries this scent about him which reminds one of a goat pen."

"I heard that!" Talmanes called from ahead.

"I meant you to!" Mat called back.

"Still determined to make a night of it, eh?" Talmanes said, smiling as he joined Mat.

"What?" Talmanes asked, glancing at him. "Isn't this usually how people react when you tell them you're going to spend the night?"

During the dice scene in The Tipsy Gelding, he shows twice as much emotion as he ever has before, groaning and hissing and carrying on about Mat's losing.

Not to mention the part where he stares quite openly at an Aes Sedai's cleavage? Talmanes was always properly respectful of Aes Sedai (even mentions how glad he'd be to get rid of the Aes Sedai), and never seemed OVERLY interested in women (Nalesean was always talking about women and barmaids), although he mentions having had relationships with women before. But he's about the last of Mat's cohorts that would stare slack jawed at cleavage, let alone an Aes Sedai's. Again, just an opportunity to make a joke, even if it's not appropriate to the characters involved in it. Even poor Joline was out of character.

There was also a lot of eye rolling between Mat and Talmanes, and I don't think I recall eyes ever being rolled in WoT before.

In any case, I don't mean to write a dissertation on the subject, but some people still insist that there was no difference, and I think this really does indicate otherwise. Whether you say the difference is in the character, or the writing style, makes no difference. It is there. I think BS tried to keep the core of the characters, but he seemed to struggle with hitting the right note for humor in the WoT world.

And no I didn't sit and write all this write this minute, I'd been making notes since I first read TGS and immediately was hit with how drastically different the character had been written.

I believe the Village killing spree, could have easily been RJ's idea and BS just placed it where it ended up.  I liked it.  I agree that there may have been a some parts of the writing that were a little "choppy" or story lines that were closed a little too quickly or awkwardly. But, I attribute that to RJ really stretching some plot lines way , way out and it just seems to us that they closed them quickly.  

I believe Mat seems to be written a little bit like he was in the earlier books.  Some of the sentence structure might be different, but I did not get the idea that it was too far off of the Mat as Tylin's toy.  

You know actually, I get a feeling that Hinderstap could have been just an add on in RJ's notes.

I've noted before that there have been a lot of similar sequences. Perrin in the town of ghosts. Mat himself with the peddler consumed by that disappearing Shiotan village...Time and reality are warping all over the place. Did we really have to have another episode to nail this point home?

Honestly it wasn't even that frightening.

And plot wise, what purpose did it really serve? Mat had the dice rolling in his head and I was almost confused by this.

The dice roll in his head when something momentous is about to happen to him, not when something bad happens to him. Something fateful has to occur that will effect the course of events. Hinderstap was eventful, but not really fateful. It just seems to lend itself to being an add on. A filler.

And Hannah Bannana, I DEFINITELY did not like that sequence where Mat was handing out back stories. Written on paper? What the-? I almost closed the book in disbelief. That wasn't slightly fan-fic. It was totally fan fic and even more so when it was revealed to be a McGuffin. They didn't even infiltrate the town or attack it as Verin just came out and met them at camp.

WHAT WAS THE POINT? It was a gag, and a bad one, totally uncharacteristic of Mat and his entourage.

The only interest I had in any of the Mat sequences is his relationship with Aludra, which while abrupt, was actually a bit intriguing, and I wanted more elaboration. A love triangle with Aludra and the Empress would be a little over the top this late, but if done subtly could set up outrigger stuff for Mat later. The other interests in the Mat plot is Verin, his plan to assault the Tower of Ghenjei, and a meeting Caemlyn with Elayne.

Could have dropped the Hinderstap sequence, shortened the "funny" bits about having a back story and went straight to Verin taking the Band to Caemlyn, with a brief meeting with Elayne as a cameo.

But in any case, it wasn't done that way, and I think the book suffers for it.

it was funny. and some people do take their view of Mat a little too seriously (or way too seriously).

Like i said he is growing up because he is married now. im not sure how others can't see that. BS practically beat us over the head with it.

That's the problem. Some people don't like to be beaten over the head with ANYTHING, least of all humor.

If you have to beat someone over the head with something, chances are it isn't funny.

If the back story sequence were at least funny, maybe I would give it a pass. It wasn't. It wasn't even necessary. It was pretty pointless and obtuse as a manufactured comic relief moment, and to many people it came off as disturbing.

How has Mat suddenly matured into a completely new person in the space of a few days or weeks since the end of KoD? What life-altering event has occurred to spark such a drastic and sudden change? Tuon finished the marriage ceremony? He knew that was inevitable. So aside from that... what has happened that has him suddenly matured into a completely new person, so abruptly? Must have been a doozy.

How about the lightning guerilla war he waged? How about the massacre of 10,000 Seanchan troops in one battle alone?  While he just sat there and watched.

That will change a boy into a man in a hurry.

How about the lightning guerilla war he waged? How about the massacre of 10,000 Seanchan troops in one battle alone?  While he just sat there and watched.

That will change a boy into a man in a hurry.

He has participated in battle before. He killed many people in the Second Aiel War. He has the memories of a dozen generals in his mind. He can remember dying in a river staring into the eyes of an ancient enemy. He was hung from Avendesora after a bad deal with the mythical Eelfinn...After all of this coming out of Knife of Dreams he has pretty much maintained a steady personality/persona, and change has been gradual with him.

I think it is a mistake to see the Change in Gathering Storm as "maturity".

I think the change that is disturbing is in the details of what Mat focuses on. And how he directs that focus.

For example, writing pages of backstory and handing them out? No.

Mat could think up backstory for an infiltration, but to ring true it would be him just saying so verbally. RJ would have done it as an afterthought, a reference to something that has already occurred. The sequence would have been Mat reminding his people to remember their back stories, maybe someone like Vanin complaining that it's too much to remember, and Mat saying that maybe he should have written it all down for them. It was simple enough when he thought it all up the night before. But then it all wouldn't have mattered anyway because Verin comes and meets them.

Hannah Bannana, I did NOT say that I saw no changes in Mat's "voice" as written by Sanderson. What I did say is that the changes are very believable considering everything that he has experienced in the last few books and the commitment to a monogamous relationship with Tuon because of their marriage. Also, I did say that I believed that none of the characters "voices" were exactly the same as they were when written by Robert Jordan himself. ... and I did not expect any of the various "voices" or POV's to have been written the same by Sanderson as Jordan would have done. Obviously, they are two different writers and Sanderson would have done himself and RJ and all of the rest of us a disservice if he would have tried to exactly copy and mimic RJ's style.

As for my assertion that 99% of those whom have read TGS believe its one of the top 5 books? Well granted, it is only based upon what I have seen with the more than one hundred reviews on Amazon.com and all of the rest of the reviews for TGS that I could find online on the internet. And I may have exaggerated.. but only just slightly in my opinion.

For example, writing pages of backstory and handing them out? No.

Mat could think up backstory for an infiltration, but to ring true it would be him just saying so verbally. RJ would have done it as an afterthought, a reference to something that has already occurred. The sequence would have been Mat reminding his people to remember their back stories, maybe someone like Vanin complaining that it's too much to remember, and Mat saying that maybe he should have written it all down for them. It was simple enough when he thought it all up the night before. But then it all wouldn't have mattered anyway because Verin comes and meets them.

Mat has never examined those memories thoroughly.  He runs from them as quickly as he can whenever they crop up.  He spent 10 1/2 books running away from who and what he is.  Finally in the last half of Knife of Dreams he had to really face all of that.

In your opinion it shouldn't have changed him at all.  In my opinion he'd be an even bigger dumbass than he has been if it didn't.

If you want him to keep being that same immature dumbass, that's your business.

If you think the character of Mat can be summed up as "immature dumbass" before BS took over the story telling... I question how closely you've read his sequences in previous books.

In any case, I kind of disagree that Mat has matured at all, or at least that that's what the difference can be chalked up to.. That's what those who argue that Mat was written the same as in previous books make. They say "It isn't a difference in writing styles, it's just that Mat has matured into a fully grown married man." I don't think he's matured at all. He's just been written differently by a different author. And jarringly so, to many people. Some people can just shrug off the changes, and good for them. I mean, what choice do we have but to take what's been written and assimilate it.

But as Jonn said, the Seanchan skirmishes wouldn't have changed him. He has memories that he's thought about that are just as disturbing. And he's seen battles, worse than the Seanchan stands, in his own experience. That doesn't turn you into a different person. If it does, it makes you grimmer, more serious, or thoughtful at least. And that's DEFINITELY not the direction Mat went. He became more of a buffoon, to be honest. Sheer comic relief.

And again, he was resigned to the marriage with Tuon, so that wouldn't have been any kind of shocker to him. Yeah, I expect him to worry about her more, because he's obviously has feelings for her. That's not an issue.

If you think the character of Mat can be summed up as "immature dumbass" before BS took over the story telling... I question how closely you've read his sequences in previous books.

In any case, I kind of disagree that Mat has matured at all, or at least that that's what the difference can be chalked up to.. That's what those who argue that Mat was written the same as in previous books make. They say "It isn't a difference in writing styles, it's just that Mat has matured into a fully grown married man." I don't think he's matured at all. He's just been written differently by a different author. And jarringly so, to many people. Some people can just shrug off the changes, and good for them. I mean, what choice do we have but to take what's been written and assimilate it.

But as Jonn said, the Seanchan skirmishes wouldn't have changed him. He has memories that he's thought about that are just as disturbing. And he's seen battles, worse than the Seanchan stands, in his own experience. That doesn't turn you into a different person. If it does, it makes you grimmer, more serious, or thoughtful at least. And that's DEFINITELY not the direction Mat went. He became more of a buffoon, to be honest. Sheer comic relief.

And again, he was resigned to the marriage with Tuon, so that wouldn't have been any kind of shocker to him. Yeah, I expect him to worry about her more, because he's obviously has feelings for her. That's not an issue.

Hannah, no real point in arguing about it. The "immature dumbass" pretty much sums up the entire thing. I guess if you felt Mat as being an immature dumbass any change would be for the better. Personally, I didnt see Mat anywhere close to an immature dumbass and absolutely loved his chapters. Anyone who really really liked Mat before TGS cannot possible like the Mat BS changed him into. I could barely read it. I skimmed over all the CRAP about the aliases, what a joke that was, but not funny at all. And one of my favorite characters, Talmanes, turned into one of my least favorite side characters. I liked the grim, no-nonsense, war veteran, leader Talmanes was. I would have fought for him in a heartbeat. This new Talmanes I wouldnt follow to the ice cream store, much less into battle. And yes, if Mat HAD have come up with a backstory/aliases it wouldnt have been written about, it would have been mentioned in passing. Do you guys remember the stories about the Aes Sedai who escaped with Mat? They had backstories as well, Tuon was a stealing servant. Thank god, RJ only mentioned it after the fact, not as 1/3rd of a chapter to find comic relief.

That's the problem. Some people don't like to be beaten over the head with ANYTHING, least of all humor.

If you have to beat someone over the head with something, chances are it isn't funny.

If the back story sequence were at least funny, maybe I would give it a pass. It wasn't. It wasn't even necessary. It was pretty pointless and obtuse as a manufactured comic relief moment, and to many people it came off as disturbing.

one problem with your retort is that i was saying nothing about the humor. there was absolutely no word in my post that was talking about the humor at all. i was talking about him maturing. and maybe you should notice the "practically" word before "beating over the head". that means that he didn't beat us over the head but he was close.

I can't believe people are this serious in a thread about mat. That is really ironic..

Haha.  Thanks for that.

Is this topic about Mat's storyline in TGS or "How Mat was written in TGS"?

Does anybody want to talk about his actual storyline?  I'm sure somebody has somewhere in this thread, but I'll just bring it up again:

What's in the letter from Verin?  I think it's the Horn of Valere's location...  But I hope it's something more than that.

Also, I liked the Hinderstap scene... so I'm like one in 5 who liked it it seems.

Also, I thought Mat's stunt with the various back stories was funny and endearing.  Yes, I said endearing.

Finally, Mat was recently married and is actually in love.  Weird for him.

The End.

I can't believe people are this serious in a thread about mat. That is really ironic..

Haha.  Thanks for that.

Is this topic about Mat's storyline in TGS or "How Mat was written in TGS"?

Does anybody want to talk about his actual storyline?  I'm sure somebody has somewhere in this thread, but I'll just bring it up again:

What's in the letter from Verin?  I think it's the Horn of Valere's location...  But I hope it's something more than that.

the problem with discussing Mat's storyline is that there isnt a whole lot to talk about. I guess we can talk about what exactly is gonna happen between him and Aludra and those dragons.

you know what i find funny. that Mat, the man who never wanted to be tied down by one woman, is quite possibly going to be the only one with just one woman out of the three. thats irony.

i really want him to read the letter of Verin's ASAP in the next book. I am sure it has some very good information. could be about the Horn Valere. my bet is that its about that and some other stuff as well.

The thing that irks me the most in this whole book is how Brandon just couldn't get Thom right... Mat, too, but Thom hurts the most as he was probably my favorite character. No matter how much we learned about Thom, he was still the mythical gleeman. Now he just seems like a depressed jester.

RIP Thom...

I think Verin's letter contains instructions on how to kill the Gholam, or at least who sent him.

Everyone knows where the Horn is, in the White Tower.

I like that Fortuona is starting to return Mat's feelings for her, allthough she doesn't know it yet.

Where is the bow Mat crafted from the "staff" he bought while buying the razor for Fortuona?

Is Mat going to stick up for Rand like Rand stuck up for him when Gawyn returns to Camalyn and starts his whineing?

Archived