DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Plotline (Spoilers for the whole book)

JenniferL

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mat found the Rage at Hinderstap!

Man is it weird to see Mat go to Caemlyn and get no Elayne scenes?

I thought Mat's story in this was funny, realize it was a "moving chess piece into needed place" sort of thing but still fun to read it.

Mat found the Rage at Hinderstap!

Man is it weird to see Mat go to Caemlyn and get no Elayne scenes?

I thought Mat's story in this was funny, realize it was a "moving chess piece into needed place" sort of thing but still fun to read it.

I loved Mat and Tuon's storyline in this book.  I am hoping he doesn't stay in Camelyn too long. Elayne is probably my least favorite character in the series.

When I read his part first, I enjoyed it and I really could not understand all the outrage at his character by many fans. I found Hinderstrap to be interesting and loved the scene. I got chills at the extent of the DO's influence.

Overall, in this book Mat's POV provided some light comedic respite from the heavy plotlines of the others. Yeah, his humour was more obvious and external as opposed to internal but I wasn't really bothered. I agree that the tone or 'voice' of Mat should change in a way come TOM. With more subtelty and the like but his purpose in TGS was nothing heavy.

It's great to see Mat using his new "external humor". I loved the backstory part too. I actually laughed out loud. It's nice too see and hear the banter with Talmanes as well. C'mon, guys in the field harass each other, boast, and make bawdy jokes. These guys are adults by now too, it was getting pretty lame when the best Mat could do was reminisce bout being beaten by the wisdom for stealing pies from windowsills or dusting dogs in flour. Now if ALL the characters would get over the fact that they don't understand the other sex, and just start bitching about them like Mat is learning to do, this is going to get even better.

I just finished the book. Thought it was AMAZING overall.

That said, the only thing that dissappointed me were the sections about Mat. He is probably my all time favorite character, so perhaps I'm being a little harsh in judgement here, but I thought his commentary was off. Quite a bit. I normally love to read through his point of view, but I found myself becoming very annoyed and skimming some of his conversations because they felt forced, as well as that he was constantly saying 'bloody' and 'flaming'. Not that he didn't say that before, but it was almost like he had to interject that into everything he said.

Nothing against Sanderson. I thought he did a fantastic job! I was just curious if anyone else picked up on this and shared my feelings? The other characters in the book seemed either spot on or very close to usual.

Mat's plotline made me laugh AND cry.

I liked what was written, just not for the current Mat. The elaborate "script" he created, made me think BK. 1 Mat, not Bks 5-11 Mat. It was characteristic of Sanderson's style (which is wonderful), and made me think of Warbreaker (a fantastic book). So, I laughed at the narrative, and cried at the death of RJ's Mat.

Did we know that Tuon would become "Fortuona" before this book?  Its pretty funny (although almost -too- clever) that Mat's married to Fortune.

I reckon that we were given clues

Fortune rides like the sun on high

with the fox that makes the ravens fly.

Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,

He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

I think this may say something about Fortuna, but I can't work it out yet.

Fortune rides like the sun on high

with the fox that makes the ravens fly.

Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,

He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

I think this may say something about Fortuna, but I can't work it out yet.

It's quick and easy on the surface.  Mat is seen, in Tuan's (damane's) foretelling, as a fox chasing ravens into flight.  The fox that makes the ravens fly.  This also just "happens" to be his signet, which is how Tuan recognizes him.

Also, when he meets Tuan she is the Daughter of the Nine Moons and he kidnaps her.  Thus he snatches the moons from out of the sky.

As for luck and fortune, play a few games of dice with Mat.  I'm sure you'll see where that comes in. ^.~

It's quick and easy on the surface.  Mat is seen, in Tuan's (damane's) foretelling, as a fox chasing ravens into flight.  The fox that makes the ravens fly.  This also just "happens" to be his signet, which is how Tuan recognizes him.

Also, when he meets Tuan she is the Daughter of the Nine Moons and he kidnaps her.  Thus he snatches the moons from out of the sky.

As for luck and fortune, play a few games of dice with Mat.  I'm sure you'll see where that comes in. ^.~

I understand that, I'm just musing over weather the choice of "fortune" means luck (as everyone initially thought) or now we have hindsight over Tuon's new name is there a deeper meaning? We have all be duped many times by seemingly straightforward prophecies having an entirely different meaning.

One thing that is bugging me is the cannons.  Going to have to be an awful lot of raw materials and bell founders in Andor.  Seems that TG is getting very close, an Cannons are going to take a good amount time to build, let alone test, train with and provision.

On the whole I enjoyed Mats chapters, however I did feel that Tal/Thom/Mat were very differently potrayed than the previous books.  I do look forward to more Mat and Tuon though. 

On a side note.  The moment I started reading of Rand and Tuon meeting, I thought Rand was going to discover who she was married to. 

I think Setalle Anan IS going to get healed and be able to channel again! and come face to face with "tuon" who likes her

all those times Nyn was right there and could have healed her before leaving ebou dar

The letter with Verin I think matt will open it and it will reveal alot of interesting things

Archived