DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth novels

bobsbarricades

Rand: This isnt a mirror! Callandor looks different! Wait...

Richard: I've waited for this moment for many books.

Rand: You! I know you, imposter! You strive to be like me, but you are not!

Richard: I am what I am, I was made this way. I am your replacement. An improvement, I might add.

Rand: Improvement? You are nothing!

Richard: My swords better than yours, though.

Rand: At least Im still me without it. Sword of Truth? That glorified name means nothing. There is no truth in it, only the truth you believe, which is a rip off of the Three Oaths.

Richard: Mine wont send me crazy.

Rand: Crazy? CRAZY? You know nothing! You are nothing, you lack substance, for you are a hollow image of myself. Cut that hair, you look like me too much! Here, I'll cut your eyes out so you cant give people my look. That way you will only see yourself, for you are NOTHING!

Kahlan: Richard, I will never betray you...

Richard: Oh my Big Bang Theory Kahlan do you speak of anything else? I'd almost go as far as saying you're Terrys version of Perrin! If I didnt know any better I would unleash chainfire on you, and we all know how original that one is!

Rage. That was all Rand could feel. Original? He could tolerate the references to Perrin, the Oaths, the Black Ajah, even the rip off of Callandor. But chainfire, being the original balefire? He would not stand for this! With thoughts of retribution and recovering his identity, he wove balefire and burnt Richard and Kahlan out of existence.

Well that is how TG would write it. Rofl. :)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sword of Truth has some absolutely tremendous moments.  I've got to say that it has more truly tremendous plotlines than WoT. But, it also have about 75 more bad plot lines.  WoT is consistently very, very good, many times great, and never truly awful..  SoT is many times great and many times awful.

The Sword of Truth has some absolutely tremendous moments.  I've got to say that it has more truly tremendous plotlines than WoT. But, it also have about 75 more bad plot lines.  WoT is consistently very, very good, many times great, and never truly awful..  SoT is many times great and many times awful.

What plotlines are you talking about?  I mean... nothing is really tremendous that I can remember.  There were moments of good writing but its lost so much in the drivel its hard to pick out.

.. it has been awhile, so forgive me if I cannot remember specifics.

1. but, when Rand was playing whatever type of game.. ja la or whatever.  At times, that was amazing

2. Nikki's transition... the transitioning part, at least

3. when Rand was deep in enemy territory carving the statues.. I really enjoyed how the populace rose up against the government.

But, for every tremendous plot line or moment, there were numerous moments in which the story flat out sucked or became so repetitive that it was almost unreadable especially later and later in the series.

I will not lie to you.. I really enjoyed the first few books before the plotlines became repetitive.. and before he spent so much time re-capping what had occurred earlier in the books.. and yes, before he started shoving his beliefs down our throats.

As a series on the whole, there really isn't much comparison between the SoT and the WoT.  WoT is almost always very, very good and sometimes spectacular.  SoT was sometimes spectacular and frequently very mediocre to bad.

I can see how someone could start to care so little about the books that they wouldn't like certain moments as much as I.  But, certain moments stood out to me as being absolutely wonderful moments and/or plotlines.  Early on in my reading of Jordan's WoT, I didn't know which series I liked better.  But once I could tell that Jordan had kept the writing at a high level through the duration of the series (as far as we can tell to this point), it became obvious as to which series was/is far superior.  That was TG's problem.  He wasn't remotely consistent.. he pushed his beliefs.. he was repetitive.. and yes, more than in any other series I have ever read, he flat out stole too many of his ideas from another author.  But look at it from my point of view, when I was reading Goodkind, I didn't know that he had ripped off Jordan because I hadn't read WoT yet.  So, I probably actually enjoyed the SoT more than I would have if I would have read Jordan first.

I enjoyed parts of the SoT story... its not like the entire thing was horrible.  Honestly the entire first book was quite awesome, random people being heroes and what not.  Besides just Richards stuff.  Plus I did enjoy the Con'Dar when Kahlan with broken arms just... beat down that final Quad.  Richards torture at Deanna's hands.

Nicci was my favourite character, and should have killed Kahlan but oh well.

I have never read the novels and don't intend to because I watch the TV show, I don't think it was mentioned here, but there is a show called "Legend of the Seeker" which is based off the novels, I randomly found it.  The show is great I love it! So I don't know if the book matches or not but the tv show is good............now that I think about it if WoT became a tv show it would be better, hmmmm this is a tough one.

I have never read the novels and don't intend to because I watch the TV show, I don't think it was mentioned here, but there is a show called "Legend of the Seeker" which is based off the novels, I randomly found it.  The show is great I love it! So I don't know if the book matches or not but the tv show is good............now that I think about it if WoT became a tv show it would be better, hmmmm this is a tough one.

I mentioned earlier in the post that I liked the show as well. I actually saw the show before hearing how bad everyone thinks the books are. The show is loosely based on the books, but maybe that is a good thing considering the quality of the books.

It doesn't match the books at all, and using the show as a basis for the books is... bad, really, really bad.

The books weren't half as bad as the show makes them out to be.

Now I don't see where you get this, because although some things are different most things are fairly similar and accurate. Also I have heard nothing but terrible things about the books, but like and have heard mostly mostly good things about the show.

Townsend, are you even watching the same show?

There is nothing that is similar between the two other than the characters names. I shall go down a list for you, just to make it easier.

Darken Rahl, book = father, show = brother

Sisters of the Light: book = evil and corrupt, show = friends of Zedd

Book of Counted Shadows: book = paramount to the entire series, show = destroyed by fire in the first episode

Deanna: book = Richards lover/torturer for months, show = Richards torturer for 10 mins.

Shota: Book = scary witchwoman, show = Some crazy lady with prophesies that Zedd believes but never does anything about.

Boxes of Orden: Book = Paramount to the story (all 12 books), show = destroyed in the last episode of the show, DESTROYED!

Kahlan: Book = Last confessor and mother confessor, longest hair in midlands (way past her waist), show = not last confessor till season 2 AND not mother confessor till season 2, AND has short hair.

Cara: Book = Richards loyal body guard, long braided hair, show = short hair, trying to be Richards lover.

Sword of truth: Book = turns green/red/white. Show = No colours other than red just recently for "rage".

Boundaries: Book = went down in the first book, show = boundaries are still UP!!!

Townsend go re-read the books, really do that. I don't mind the books, but the show is based in the same universe, with same names nothing else even closely matches. 

The first few books are very, very good.. The TV series does not remotely live up to the first few books at all.  The TV series is absolutely horrible in comparison.

And yeah, I forgot about the torturing of Richard by Deanna.. That was an awesome part of the book as well.

It's difficult to believe that a series that was written at such a high level at times just utterly fell apart.

There is nothing that is similar between the two other than the characters names. I shall go down a list for you, just to make it easier.

Book of Counted Shadows: book = paramount to the entire series, show = destroyed by fire in the first episode

Deanna: book = Richards lover/torturer for months, show = Richards torturer for 10 mins.

Shota: Book = scary witchwoman, show = Some crazy lady with prophesies that Zedd believes but never does anything about.

Boxes of Orden: Book = Paramount to the story (all 12 books), show = destroyed in the last episode of the show, DESTROYED!

Kahlan: Book = Last confessor and mother confessor, longest hair in midlands (way past her waist), show = not last confessor till season 2 AND not mother confessor till season 2, AND has short hair.

Cara: Book = Richards loyal body guard, long braided hair, show = short hair, trying to be Richards lover.

Sword of truth: Book = turns green/red/white. Show = No colours other than red just recently for "rage".

Boundaries: Book = went down in the first book, show = boundaries are still UP!!!

Townsend go re-read the books, really do that. I don't mind the books, but the show is based in the same universe, with same names nothing else even closely matches. 

1. If you had actually watched the show they find the book of shadows later but I won't go into it now because it is a big plot line.

2. Cara is not trying to be Richards lover.

3. They break through the boundaries therefore they are down it just isn't addressed much.

4. Shota is a witchwoman that did give some prophecies that Zedd did something about, and she also does some other evil stuff in the second season.

5. Do you really expect them to spend months on Richard being tortured? I mean it is a tv show and it is stuff like that that drags on a story.

6. For Kahlan they waited to make her Mother Confessor to have an extra show.

Remember that things can't be perfect because it is a tv show and things have to be somewhat different.

Remember that things can't be perfect because it is a tv show and things have to be somewhat different.

I'm going to comment on this because I saw something regarding this a while back. It was mentioned that the show would deviate from the books where necessary in the first season and IF the LoTS got a second all bets were off as far as book consistency.

That's fine by me. The books had a major failing when it came to god awful preachiness, and the few standouts had none of that. If they can keep 'Faith of the Fallen' intact, I don't care much about the rest. I enjoy the series for what it is - action/adventure.

Simple fact is the series cannot touch the full extent of the books without crossing some serious lines. I mean, we're talking about brutally graphic violence that even horror movies rarely go into, rape and degradation of women that would give AWARE fits, violence against children, not to mention highly questionable acts of morality that don't go over well in this country.

That's not even counting the usual book-to-TV translation problems.

A Song of Ice and Fire is going to have the same issues.

1. If you had actually watched the show they find the book of shadows later but I won't go into it now because it is a big plot line.

3. They break through the boundaries therefore they are down it just isn't addressed much.

4. Shota is a witchwoman that did give some prophecies that Zedd did something about, and she also does some other evil stuff in the second season.

5. Do you really expect them to spend months on Richard being tortured? I mean it is a tv show and it is stuff like that that drags on a story.

1. I have watched the show, the book is still no where to be found as of S2 Ep 8. :P

2. Yes she is, just because you can't pick up on the clues doesn't mean it isn't there.

3. Boundaries are still up, blocking off the westlands from the midlands and D'Hara.

4. Zedd never got any prophecies in the book.

5. I understand time lapse.  However ignoring the whole Deanna's lover, and eventually killer because he learns to turn the sword white is epically a failure of a deviation. Not to mention how much that SoT means to the entire series. 

6. Never should have waited, and her hair is still too short.

I can add more if you want, I'm just picking apart the main parts of the show that deviated so badly from the rest its sad.  Not to mention, there is no People's Palace where the boxes of Orden were open, which is PIVATOL to the entire series again. 

Sorry broken show is broke.  I don't have a lot of joy in the books, but what I did like, they basically raped with the TV show.  It is Xena/Hercules light, at the moment.

1. I have watched the show, the book is still no where to be found as of S2 Ep 8. :P

2. Yes she is, just because you can't pick up on the clues doesn't mean it isn't there.

3. Boundaries are still up, blocking off the westlands from the midlands and D'Hara.

4. Zedd never got any prophecies in the book.

5. I understand time lapse.  However ignoring the whole Deanna's lover, and eventually killer because he learns to turn the sword white is epically a failure of a deviation. Not to mention how much that SoT means to the entire series.  

6. Never should have waited, and her hair is still too short.

I can add more if you want, I'm just picking apart the main parts of the show that deviated so badly from the rest its sad.  Not to mention, there is no People's Palace where the boxes of Orden were open, which is PIVATOL to the entire series again.  

Sorry broken show is broke.  I don't have a lot of joy in the books, but what I did like, they basically raped with the TV show.  It is Xena/Hercules light, at the moment.

1. Richard reads the book in season one and figures out that he needs to be confessed while putting the boxes of Ordin together to be able to control them and defeat Darken Raul. The plot line of finding it is a big part of the first season, I'm not sure how you could have missed it if you watch it regularly.

2. That is opinionated

3. They never really address the boundaries and there was a hole in them anyway so they might as well be down even if they aren't

4. There are multiple prophecies that are told to him that he acts on such as the episode where him and Shota speed the sun up to make it night so the princess will turn into the beast.

5. It is a tv show and some things must be taken out. Would you rather see a butchered short version of that plot or just have it left out?

6. Her hair is long enough, and like I said they waited to use it as a plot for an episode. Not everything can be perfect and although her hair is supposed to be very long I don't think that is much of a pressing issue. It isn't like they made it short.

1. Richard reads the book in season one and figures out that he needs to be confessed while putting the boxes of Ordin together to be able to control them and defeat Darken Raul. The plot line of finding it is a big part of the first season, I'm not sure how you could have missed it if you watch it regularly.

2. That is opinionated

3. They never really address the boundaries and there was a hole in them anyway so they might as well be down even if they aren't

4. There are multiple prophecies that are told to him that he acts on such as the episode where him and Shota speed the sun up to make it night so the princess will turn into the beast.

5. It is a tv show and some things must be taken out. Would you rather see a butchered short version of that plot or just have it left out?

6. Her hair is long enough, and like I said they waited to use it as a plot for an episode. Not everything can be perfect and although her hair is supposed to be very long I don't think that is much of a pressing issue. It isn't like they made it short.

1. You are thinking of the Boxes of Orden, not the Book of Counted Shadows.

2. You will see.

3. The hole was closed when they blew up the gate that was "magically" holding it open.

4. That particular prophesy was never in the books, so it was a side "quest" that again had nothing to do with the books, could have been used to actually make Rachael relevant.

5. I'd rather they not do that plot line then.

6. Her hair in the midlands signifies her power, even if no one knows who she is (ie when they get to Caska in the books) people know who she is by how long her hair is, again key to a few of the plot lines in the book.

I'm sorry you think the show is anywhere near the books, but it isn't.

1. You are thinking of the Boxes of Orden, not the Book of Counted Shadows.

2. You will see.

3. The hole was closed when they blew up the gate that was "magically" holding it open.

4. That particular prophesy was never in the books, so it was a side "quest" that again had nothing to do with the books, could have been used to actually make Rachael relevant.

5. I'd rather they not do that plot line then.

6. Her hair in the midlands signifies her power, even if no one knows who she is (ie when they get to Caska in the books) people know who she is by how long her hair is, again key to a few of the plot lines in the book.

I'm sorry you think the show is anywhere near the books, but it isn't.

1. No they had multiple episodes on this they actually finally find it in the one with the painter, then Richard reads it and finds out "love" is the key, and takes that to mean he has to be confessed while using the boxes, which he does, which leads to a whole different episode.

2. Once again that statement is opinionated and has no real evidence therefore does not need to be addressed.

3. I do not recall this but if it is indeed so, it is only because the show focuses on the plot of Richard and doesn't focus at all on anything else really. They are no longer important.

4. Although it may not be relevant directly to the books, it still disproves the statement that Zed doesn't ever do anything about her prophecies.

5. If they had left it out entirely would you not state that as a huge flaw as well?

6. I am aware of all of this but the facts are it is still only a small point and they still stick with the white gown. Her hair should perhaps be longer, but is quite long as it is.

The same goes for your earlier point about Cara's braid. It isn't incredibly long nor is it short. It is just not a big issue.

For the benefit of this back-and-forth, a few corrections:

1. Pretty sure Talmanes is correct on this: The Book of Counted Shadows was discovered in Season 1. I can't remember the specifics since it's so different from the novels, but I believed it was the episode "Cursed"? They were battling at the gate that had been opened in the barrier and the book was incinerated. Like in in the novels, we know that doesn't mean anything.

2. Anoxanmore seems to be correct. Try the following link for some light Season 2 spoilers from Craig Horner and Brigitte Regan regarding the introduction of a new romantic interest for Richard, at the 1:40 mark on the video. Cara is hinted at, and begins flirting with Richard in Episode 6.

3. I can't see as it matters when the Boundaries go down. It's easy enough for them to play it off as a consequence of resealing the Veil, or a future story with the Chimes.

4. Rachael is completely worthless to the series as a whole. Sure, she offered a great small sub-plot for a show, but why bother to make her relevant when she's not gonna be a continuing character?

5. You takes your good, and you takes your bad. Realize that it is going to be this way for the next X number of seasons that the series runs. They're running their own game, not by the book, and there's no point in anything other than enjoying it for its own sake rather than trying to hold it up to the standard of books that weren't that awesome in the first place. In fact...

6. The hair thing. Possibly the most inane feature of the series, as far as Kahlan goes.

The series doesn't live up to the books, and doesn't need to. I pray to god it will never fail as hard as the books did, because Goodkind screwed them and screwed them BAD.

For the benefit of this back-and-forth, a few corrections:

1. Pretty sure Talmanes is correct on this: The Book of Counted Shadows was discovered in Season 1. I can't remember the specifics since it's so different from the novels, but I believed it was the episode "Cursed"? They were battling at the gate that had been opened in the barrier and the book was incinerated. Like in in the novels, we know that doesn't mean anything.

2. Anoxanmore seems to be correct. Try the following link for some light Season 2 spoilers from Craig Horner and Brigitte Regan regarding the introduction of a new romantic interest for Richard, at the 1:40 mark on the video. Cara is hinted at, and begins flirting with Richard in Episode 6.

3. I can't see as it matters when the Boundaries go down. It's easy enough for them to play it off as a consequence of resealing the Veil, or a future story with the Chimes.

4. Rachael is completely worthless to the series as a whole. Sure, she offered a great small sub-plot for a show, but why bother to make her relevant when she's not gonna be a continuing character?

5. You takes your good, and you takes your bad. Realize that it is going to be this way for the next X number of seasons that the series runs. They're running their own game, not by the book, and there's no point in anything other than enjoying it for its own sake rather than trying to hold it up to the standard of books that weren't that awesome in the first place. In fact...

6. The hair thing. Possibly the most inane feature of the series, as far as Kahlan goes.

The series doesn't live up to the books, and doesn't need to. I pray to god it will never fail as hard as the books did, because Goodkind screwed them and screwed them BAD.

1.  They did find the second book of Counted Shadows (there are only two in the world that are right, in Sanctuary they find it and come to the wrong conclusion vs the books, but whatever some people don't seem to care about it.

2. I am right on this, people just refuse to see it, and for clarification, it should have been Nicci, not Cara.

3. It makes a huge difference once they get to Jagang, if they get that far.

4. Rachael was a very good sub plot that played a very pivotal role during Book 1, 2, and 11/12.

5. This section should have been done as to the books as turning the sword white has massive consequences later on, and again plays a major point in the last book(s).

6. It makes a difference during Faith of the Fallen, and the previous book. Also book 2.

chop chop for thread brevity

1. The difference between the BoCS of the novels and the tv shows is irrelevant, IMO. You'll remember that the BoCS was incinerated as well, and Richard conveniently happens to have memorized the whole thing. In the show, he conveniently finds the relevant chapters. Difference is not different enough to matter.

2. Sure, you're right, but the reason people might not see it isn't because they are blind, but because the show is subtle about it, so far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's only been 6 episodes of Season 2 so far? Just got done watching all of them on the website yesterday, and literally the only sign of romance are the spoilers in the Horner/Regan interview and the instance of flirting in Episode 6. That's not romance, though it's obviously going in that direction.

3. Nicci hasn't even been introduced yet, and there's no reason to believe they're not going to introduce her as another counter-romance. If you'll recall the novels, it was very much one-sided "romance".

4. A good sub-plot that came off as completely ridiculous being reintroduced over 8 books later. I want to call it deus ex ta'veren, but I don't recall it being that instrumental to the plot.

5. The sword's full power was introduced in a contrived scene in the books, and is instead being introduced in a contrived scene in "Fury"? They're getting around to it in their own way. They could have done it sooner eliminating that ridiculous "Listener" episode but the point of that seemed to have been to introduce the people with variant powers and create the red herring of the Sisters of Light being benevolent, but it makes a good pairing with the introduction of Richard's link to the House of Rahl.

6. The point is that it should have marked her out like a giant-sized bullseye. Sub-plot that never had the level of impact it should have. She is magically compelled not to cut it, and as I recall, there's how much effort to conceal it? None?

chop chop for thread brevity

Lots of text...

1. The difference apparently is lost on you if you haven't finished the series, you'd understand why it is so important, also he didn't conveniently memorize it, it was specifically done over 2 years by his adopted father.  The difference is incredibly large, I'm just sad you don't see it.

2. No more point needed to make here.

3. You didn't address 3, so I'll consider that conceded.

4. Rachel prevented Darken Rahl from getting the Stone of Tears because she followed Richard down into the Old World. Which would have resulted in the Veil being torn LONG before Richard freed himself from Sisters of the Light. Of course, why would that matter, oh right, it would allow the entire universe to be unraveled (think DO breaking completely free in WoT).

5. No it hasn't been, the swords full power was reached by the end of book 1, with it culminating in Deanna's death out of love, not anger.

6. Sub-plot had a lot do to with it, I'm sorry you missed the main reason why cutting her hair besides being magically reduced, also affects Richard in Book 2 when Zedd "executes her", in addition to Blood of the Fold beating etc.

I don't know why you are arguing any of these points, I can point out all the errors from the books and how much impact it will have on the series assuming it makes it 12 seasons(Hercules only made it to 6, Xena made it to 6 as well) I doubt this is going to make it to 5 eventually the destroying the story as a whole is going to bite it on the butt, no matter how good or bad the books were/are. 

Archived