DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Thread Previously Known As (Something Else) (Chapter 1 spoiler)

Ziggdiezan

Yeah I get so bored of all the freaking katana-love these days.

I agree,when I saw the cover of the New Spring comic I thought I was reading manga for a minute,I just don't like the samurai weapons,give me the european swords.

Would you have them using a long sword or broad sword? Perhaps they could use rapiers? (sarcasm) I honestly cannot imagine any sword better suited for the style of fighting they often find themselves in, or for a master swordsman to use and make an art of in its use

Yeah,I would have Rand using a longsword and a shield if he's one-handed.And there's plenty of top swordsmen throughout worldwide history who didn't use katanas,it was just samurai and Asians who used them.

You would have Rand wield a sword and shield? With one hand?

Did you read the post above yours at all? ???

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,I would have Rand using a longsword and a shield if he's one-handed.And there's plenty of top swordsmen throughout worldwide history who didn't use katanas,it was just samurai and Asians who used them.

Well, I guess it would be possible to strap a shield on our one handed hero in some way.

Well, I guess it would be possible to strap a shield on our one handed hero in some way.

Possible? Sure. Practical? Nowhere near. :)

And why not? It would be one thing if Rand was a poor nobody,but he's the Dragon Reborn and the ruler of half the continent,he has plenty of money and resources to have a special shield and harness rigged up for himself.He already has a functional steam engine built,he couldn't have a shield custom made for his needs.

And why not? It would be one thing if Rand was a poor nobody,but he's the Dragon Reborn and the ruler of half the continent,he has plenty of money and resources to have a special shield and harness rigged up for himself.He already has a functional steam engine built,he couldn't have a shield custom made for his needs.

I mean, if Jaime Lannister can have a golden hand, why can't the Dragon Reborn have a flaming shield for Light's sake? ::)

Rand has already thought to himself that reaching for his sword when confronted with danger was an instinct that was going to get him killed.

What possible use could he have for a cumbersome metal shield when he could make a virtually invulnerable one out of Air? With, basically, a thought. At the least.

Hi guys, i dont often post and ive probably missed the whole issue by now about the sword, but i just wanted to add my bit.

In my opinion, i think it is very likely that the sword was Justice for the same reasons as has already been mentioned (it being a one handed sword, Rand recognising it from his memories etc) but also for this reason; the sword has a dragon on the grip... why would Hawkwing have this if LTT by this time is vilified? By the time Rand starts waving the dragon banner about though, no one knows what the creature on it is, so its entirely likely niether does hawkwing when he uses it, now id like to point out a similarity in the armour used by hawkwings armies/seanchan and that worn in rands memories from the waste, they are both described as insectile, especially the helmets i think... i dont have the relevent book to hand but i remember this sticking out to me.

The point im trying to make is that its possible that hawkwing found a relic from the age of legends, a full set of armour complete with a sigil - the dragon... or even that he found the sword itself and not knowing what the dragon replresented kept it on as his sword because it would make it stand out...

Sorry if that doesnt make sense but its the best i could do lol

The Karaethon cycle says that "The Dragon Reborn must kneel before the Crystal Throne before Tarmon Gai'don, or all is lost."

Does anyone think Justice will play a big role in Rand kneel before the Cystal Throne (i.e. Tuon)? At this point, with Rands obsession to have a truth with the Seanchan, I can see him kneeling and presenting the sword to Tuon as a gesture of good faith.

Rand has already thought to himself that reaching for his sword when confronted with danger was an instinct that was going to get him killed.

What possible use could he have for a cumbersome metal shield when he could make a virtually invulnerable one out of Air? With, basically, a thought. At the least.

Well this just brings up a whole other issue then.Why bother with using a sword at all in combat now that he has only one hand.Rand cannot be an effective sword fighter now because he's always trained to fight two-handed.He just doesn't have the time to train and learn one-handed techniques effectively.

I think it comes down to him having to fight with the One Power exclusively.For better or worse he has to come to grips with LTT and channeling.He has to be able to go into a battle with confidence.

Any sword he carries now would be ornamental or a ter'angreal IMO.

The problem with the OP is the dizziness caused by the link with Moridin.. He can't afford to fall ill every time he has to light a bloody candle.

SO he is afraid of dependin on the OP exclusive.

Also.. i think it will be nice to see rand using the Dizzines agains Moridin. Like reaching for the OP in the right time might disrupt moridin and avoid disaster!!!

The Karaethon cycle says that "The Dragon Reborn must kneel before the Crystal Throne before Tarmon Gai'don, or all is lost."

Does anyone think Justice will play a big role in Rand kneel before the Cystal Throne (i.e. Tuon)? At this point, with Rands obsession to have a truth with the Seanchan, I can see him kneeling and presenting the sword to Tuon as a gesture of good faith.

I don't know if he'll end up kneeling before the Crystal Throne, but remember that Ishmael corrupted the version of the Karaethon Cycle that the Seanchan have.

Well this just brings up a whole other issue then.Why bother with using a sword at all in combat now that he has only one hand.Rand cannot be an effective sword fighter now because he's always trained to fight two-handed.He just doesn't have the time to train and learn one-handed techniques effectively.

I think it comes down to him having to fight with the One Power exclusively.For better or worse he has to come to grips with LTT and channeling.He has to be able to go into a battle with confidence.

Any sword he carries now would be ornamental or a ter'angreal IMO.

What if he is Shielded? A sword can be used as a last resort. He still has his dominant hand so he won't be completely helpless while using the sword. A Blademaster, even a one handed one, is no easy meat I think. If he has to. But carrying around a shield on top of that. But you're right that he really does need to start fighting exclusively with the OP.

I don't know if he'll end up kneeling before the Crystal Throne, but remember that Ishmael corrupted the version of the Karaethon Cycle that the Seanchan have.

Ishy did that?  Is that really true?  Where did you hear that?  Is that in the books?

Could you give me a page number from the BWB?  I think you're mistaken.  I can't find that information about Ishy supposedly corrupting the Seanchan versions of the Prophecies.

He/she is not mistaken (though I'm far too lazy to find a book much less a page reference). It's been next to assumed for a while that the Seanchan bit about "kneeling to the crystal throne" is all bunk.

Yeah, I've always just believed that the Seanchan prophecies were wrong too, but I didn't know that was confirmed.  I thought the confusion between which prophecies were true, and which were false was part of the tension that is building up for Rand and his meeting with the Empress of the Nine Moons (or Daughter).  By not knowing specifically which prophecies are correct, it creates tension in the story, and makes us wonder just how that confrontation between each of them will turn out.  I assumed this wasn't confirmed so that it could be another mystery that causes good storytelling.

I would still like a direct link, reference, or quote on this.

As I recall the BWB has only obliquely references to the fact that Ishy manipulated Luthair and the origins of Seanchan culture--and Ishy himself says as much to Rand. There is however proof of this elsewhere. It was first brought up by a Seanchan spy in Ebou Dar (the one Mat scares with his reference to the Daughter of the Nine Moons).

The man thinks to himself that the Prophecies of the Dragon are corrupt over here, just as the ones in Seanchan had been before Luthair brought the pure ones over--in particular he sites that neither mentioned the Dragon kneeling to the Crystal Throne.

Straight up that is strange--why would Luthair have pure prophecies from this side of the ocean? Who went to the effort of expunging the references of the Crystal Throne to those that remained over here? Why would they do such a thing.

Of course the answer is the ones over here and the originals in Seanchan are the pure ones and Luthair's one was a fabrication. It is from this point that BWB's oblique mentions of Ishamael's meddling, as well as Ishy's own comment of sending Luthair to 'seal two dooms' that lets us know Ishy was responsible.

Furthermore there is proof that that specific prophecy IS false. Kneeling to the Crystal Throne could mean two things--literally kneeling in person to it, or metaphorically kneeling by submitting to it's representative-Tuon.

However we know Rand will not submit to Tuon since the real prophecies state that he will bind the nine moons to serve him, not the other way round, so the metaphorical answer is out, and RJ stated the main sequence books would never return to Seanchan again, so the literal answer is out.

Interesting.  I never caught that he was actually saying that the Seanchan prophecies (before Luthair) were the same as the Randland prophecies.  Very interesting indeed.

While not 100% conclusive still, it is much more likely that the Randland version of the prophecies are the right ones.  I've always thought that, I just was never totally sure, and I'm still not.

However we know Rand will not submit to Tuon since the real prophecies state that he will bind the nine moons to serve him, not the other way round, so the metaphorical answer is out, and RJ stated the main sequence books would never return to Seanchan again, so the literal answer is out.

the literal answer is definitely out. But I can see Rand kneeling and presenting the sword as a gesture of good faith in order to have Tuon in return, pledge her forces to be allied to his. Why would he do it? he is totally desperate to ally with the Seanchan. He has taken the Aelfin answer very seriously and his actions in KOD and what we've read of TGS all point towards that. Time is running out for Rand. Why would Tuon do this? There is civil war in Seanchan, Hawking's sword can be what she needs (in her mind) to solidify her rule. Couple that with the Trollocs attacking in Altara. We all know the truth is coming, it just depends how soon and in what manner it will happen.

Yes, people call it the big white book, BWB for short.

Don't remember where I saw this but there is at least one more black sister other than Elza, now I don't know if she's with Rand.  I think it was WH or COT an Elza POV, she thinks that she didn't know she had anything in common with, I forget, besides being a sister but we're both of the black.

Yes, people call it the big white book, BWB for short.

Don't remember where I saw this but there is at least one more black sister other than Elza, now I don't know if she's with Rand.  I think it was WH or COT an Elza POV, she thinks that she didn't know she had anything in common with, I forget, besides being a sister but we're both of the black.

That would be Fera. Last time we heard about her (COT ch24), she was still held by the Wise Ones in Cairhien.

Archived