DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Thread Previously Known As (Something Else) (Chapter 1 spoiler)

Ziggdiezan

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you guys remember when Moraine goes to those two sisters house. one is a green other is a brown, forget their names. i think that this isnt the first time Moraine was at their house, they seemed to be very knowledgeable about the prophecies of the dragon. I think this is how she knew the Dragons symbol and what that banner meant.

I thought Moiraine went there to piece together the balefire weave? At least that's how I read it, can someone confirm or deny that for me please?

Also, the fact that Rand now has Justice just seems right. Usually something like this would be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it doesn't seem like that at all to me.

That could possible(especially since the forsaken were getting free and she realized that the only thing she could do was balefire).  Incidently, does anyone know how wolves can kill darkhounds?  The only thing we've see work is balefire.

That's not entirely true. Lan kills a darkhound with a sword, and Perrin kills another with an arrow.

Rand comments on the issue.

"Even Darkhounds, though if they're really the Wild Hunt, at least the Dark One isn't free to ride behind them. They're bad enough anyway. Some you can kill, the way the legends say, but some won't die for anything short of balefire, that I'm sure of."

[LoC-3-A Woman's Eyes]

What distinguishes one from another? I don't know. Maybe pure ones, ones just made by whatever was used to make Darkhounds in the first place, cannot be killed short of balefire, whilst turned ones--wolves turned by other Darkhounds--can be killed normally.

We do know there are new Darkhounds out and about thanks to Masuri.

Justice was described as a 'great sword'.

Yeah, that is a problem but its unclear as to whether its a literal description or not. Is it a Great Sword or is it Hawkwing's great sword of Justice?

When I see "great" in front of "sword" in a fantasy novel I take it to mean a big 2-handed ass-kicking sword,not a "wow,that's a great sword you got there".

Also that line from tGH where it talks about Hawkwing's sword at his side could mean he's holding it at his side.

Yeah I get so bored of all the freaking katana-love these days.

What precisely is the problem with the katana in WoT? It seems that a lot readers are under the assumption that everyone is fighting with a katana which is not true at all.

-I've yet to see a single case of one of the Seanchan wielding a katana. By the sound of it they wield something of a scimitar-type of sword.

-Andorans I imagine to use something along the lines of a claymore.

-Tairens seem to be using something that resembles a scottish broadsword, or at least the nobles do.

Shienarans of course would use a katana seeing as they draw such deep samurai/japanese comparisons.

As for warders, Rand, blademasters, Gawyn, Galad, and just about every master swordsman using a katana makes sense when you consider practically none of them wear armor or use shields, and its a weapon that blends power, speed, and allows for great dexterity and variety in its use.

Would you have them using a long sword or broad sword? Perhaps they could use rapiers? (sarcasm) I honestly cannot imagine any sword better suited for the style of fighting they often find themselves in, or for a master swordsman to use and make an art of in its use

What precisely is the problem with the katana in WoT? It seems that a lot readers are under the assumption that everyone is fighting with a katana which is not true at all.

-I've yet to see a single case of one of the Seanchan wielding a katana. By the sound of it they wield something of a scimitar-type of sword.

-Andorans I imagine to use something along the lines of a claymore.

-Tairens seem to be using something that resembles a scottish broadsword, or at least the nobles do.

Shienarans of course would use a katana seeing as they draw such deep samurai/japanese comparisons.

As for warders, Rand, blademasters, Gawyn, Galad, and just about every master swordsman using a katana makes sense when you consider practically none of them wear armor or use shields, and its a weapon that blends power, speed, and allows for great dexterity and variety in its use.

Would you have them using a long sword or broad sword? Perhaps they could use rapiers? (sarcasm) I honestly cannot imagine any sword better suited for the style of fighting they often find themselves in, or for a master swordsman to use and make an art of in its use

Word.

I agree,when I saw the cover of the New Spring comic I thought I was reading manga for a minute,I just don't like the samurai weapons,give me the european swords.

Yeah,I would have Rand using a longsword and a shield if he's one-handed.And there's plenty of top swordsmen throughout worldwide history who didn't use katanas,it was just samurai and Asians who used them.

Archived