DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fight's we got robbed on...

Arkelias

There are so many amazing moments in the WoT that I almost feel selfish posting this, but I'm bored at work so why not?  Certain fights in the series could have been amazing, but ended up a letdown.  The first for me was:

#1- Mat vs. Couladin

I'd been waiting for this fight the whole book, though at first I assumed it would be Rand vs. Couladin.  When the big moment finally comes we get...a flashback?  Boo =(

#2- Rand vs. Sammael

This fight has been building since Moraine, Lan, Perrin and Faile first passed through Illian in book 2.  When Rand and Sammael finally fight Rand nearly kills himself but is saved by Moridin.  Sammael is killed by mashadar (I think I spelled that wrong), and Rand could have just not been there and the outcome would have been the same.

After such a long build up I was hoping for a huge brawl between Sammael and Rand, complete with dialogue that would give more clues about the relationship the pair had before the breaking.

#3- Lan vs. Toram

Rand has a duel with Toram in book seven, which ends with Toram winning.  When Rand and Lan meet him again in Far Madding I was prepared to see one of the best sword fights in the series.  Instead RJ cut the entire fight out, and showed us Lan wounded after it was over =(

As great as the series is I think it would have been improved had these battles been given more page time.  Of course I've loved every duel in the series from Galad on Valda to Rand on Turak.  Anyone else feel the same way or am I alone in this?

Mat and Couladin ya have to agree i wanted a better scene :-\

Rand and Sammy eh after Belal and Ishy and Rahvin i could pretty much see a replay happening so wasn't really disappointing

Lan and Toram ... well that duel Rand had w/ Toram isn't a viable comparison imho because Rand didn't take it seriously (gloves/jacket/didn't use flame and void as seen that he reacted to the mist if he was in it he wouldn't have been easily distracted/he was trying to see if he could cause a taveren twist w/Toram as he had w/ the seafolk-Caraline-and Darlin/he had red AS around him an had to be careful) so Rand would have beaten Toram like a mangy mutt so the fact Lan would be able to do so is a no brainer, didn't really need to see that fight.

I actually enjoy the sword duels the least. I find that much of the Aiel fighting with spears and martial arts is better because it is actually described. Where as the sword duels consist mostly of Parting the grass, and cat hacks up a hair ball type stuff.

So I guess I agree with the Mat Versus Couladin fight whole heartedly since the fight would have had a lot of cool detail. But the Mat v. the Gholam fight made up for it to me.

I almost spit soda at the 'cat hacks up a hairball' comment. 

I prefer the description of actual combat, but I kind of like the forms as well.  I thought it was a very creative way to describe combat.

I think Rand could have beaten Toram, but Toram was still a swordmaster.  I'm sure Lan would have whupped his monkey ass, I just wanted to see it!

I actually enjoy the sword duels the least. I find that much of the Aiel fighting with spears and martial arts is better because it is actually described. Where as the sword duels consist mostly of Parting the grass, and cat hacks up a hair ball type stuff.

:D

While it isn't the flashiest way to perform a fight scene, I've never been bored or had a problem with the "moose tromps through the meadow" stuff. It always seems as though it's a way for Jordan to simplify the scene so as to concentrate what is going on in the fighter's head. Which is a good thing.

But yeah, the first thing that popped into my head was Couladin vs. Mat. I bet most WoT fans will have that stand out for them as a glaring omission.

No other missed fight scene really come to mind, though. Maybe Rand vs. Avienda. Fighting each other the whole book, and we don't even get to see them get....physical

:D

While it isn't the flashiest way to perform a fight scene, I've never been bored or had a problem with the "moose tromps through the meadow" stuff. It always seems as though it's a way for Jordan to simplify the scene so as to concentrate what is going on in the fighter's head. Which is a good thing.

But yeah, the first thing that popped into my head was Couladin vs. Mat. I bet most WoT fans will have that stand out for them as a glaring omission.

No other missed fight scene really come to mind, though. Maybe Rand vs. Avienda. Fighting each other the whole book, and we don't even get to see them get....physical

What are you talking about? We see them get ...physical... in the 5th book.

I am actually quite glad that RJ left out the Mat vs Couladin fight. By doing so, he allows us as readers to play the scene out in our own minds, which for me makes it even more awesome.

Lan vs Toram...Meh, I do not really care about that one, since we got Rand vs Fain instead, and that is one of the more interesting conflicts we have got going on. And somehow I do not think Lans POVs during a fight would be very interesting, I imagine him going almost complately blank, being pure focus while he is at his business.

Though it would be cool to see a Lan POV just before he enters a fight, dropping a "I am the best at what I do". That would be a classic ;D

i disagree with the op completely.

mat vs couladin:  that was perfectly written.  rj painted the scenario before the fight and got the adrenalin rushing.  when the scene cut back to mat at the victory party, it made it so much more satisfying to see him come out victorious.

rand vs sammuel:  i have stated this in the other thread already.  if rand wasn't there and didn't balefire the building, sammuel would not have died.  simple as that.

lan vs toram: same thing with mat, although this one was fast and furious whereas mat vs couladin was a bit more picturesque.

im torn on the mat one....i want to read more on it, but it was great the way it was done.

we dont see enough of fain...all we really see is his aftermath.

ive always found that scene with lan and rand in the last book dodgy as....i was looking for clues of lan being a df...seriously...read just the words spoken by the characters....its dodgy as.

a forsaken vs forsaken battle wouldnt go astray either.

Mat/Couladin - Not too bummed about it.  I like Mat's flashback, where he's really nonchalant about it.

Rand/Sammael - Yeah, this was a disappointment.  While we did get to see Moridin's involvement, it was a boring fight.

Lan/Toram - Maybe.  But only because I have an irrational hatred of all things Fain.

#1- Mat vs. Couladin

As soon as I saw the thread title, that came to mind. I'll hear none of this about RJ letting us imagine it! Nah just joking, but I really do feel robbed. When Mat came up with the idea of shouting "Protect the Lord Dragon!" when Couladins army was near I enjoyed it, and hoped to see them fight, although I didnt think we would. It doesnt always happen when two armies fight that the leaders get a one on one, and when it happened between chapters I felt dissapointed because a one on one with two spear/polearm weapons in Wheel of Time would be great. Especially with Mat against someone as aggressive as Couladin. Thats probably the only thing I feel robbed of really, although I wouldnt mind having seen Demandred do some stuff at the Cleansing before escaping.

Hello, first time poster here on Dragonmount.

Mat vs Couladin-  I hadn't remembered that Jordan skipped over the actual fight between Mat and Couladin,  but strangely it's one of the scenes I always remember very well.  I guess my imagination just filled in the gap there, leaving me with a very vivid fight scene between Mat and Couladin.  I actually did imagine it without realizing it. I have no complaints there.

Rand vs Sammael-  This scene left me very confused... I had to re-read it several times to understand what had happened, I couldn't grasp the concept that such a big important fight was over so suddenly.  But My understanding of what happened was... When rand balefired the Maiden,  It made her cease to exist before the Balefire hit her. So that means Mashadar wasn't attracted to her.  So the Balefire removed her influence on mashadar from existence, the mashadar that would have went to her, went automatically to Sammael instead, killing him.  (hmmm hope I made that clear enough to understand correctly)

Lan vs Toram-  Well I had completely forgotten about that fight until reading this thread.

I really like the sword-form battles. I always pictured what the form was based on the name, like River Undercuts the bank would be a low horizontal slash at the legs or midriff or something. You do have to slow down to think about it, which does detract from the the fight, but I think forms are actually better than "Rand blocked n' ducked, blocked again then stabbed and killed 'im." Not that I don't like the other fights. I just prefer the sword ones.

I often feel we get robbed on fights that Mat gets into.  The only one I ever remember reading IN DEPTH that he got into was that silly wager fight where he faces off against Galad and Gawyn in the WT practice yard.

Any other time with Mat, we know he's fighting but the fights are glossed over and we read more about the after-effects than the fights themselves.  Now, I suppose there's only so many ways you can describe a fight when you're not using the artful forms that the Blademaster people use (not that we know what those even look like, but they sound cool and at least in your mind you can get some form of a picture of people who are moving in graceful, practiced movements) but really, I'd like to see more of Mat in action when he's actually kicking some @$$, not when he's whining afterward about the bruises and cuts he got (he does seem to like to ham up the drama on that when he's away from the fight scene)

Archived