DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Military strategy in the WoT

Jedimuppet

I've noticed not a lot of new threads get started here, so I thought I would take a moment to add one that might be interesting that I haven't seen before.

With the addition of gateways and crazy combat weaves, plus Mat's crossbows and gunpowder, what kind of cool combat tactics do you think we can look forward to?

J

you need some serious hit and strike tactics. the weapons of mass destruction means that any large group will get burned to dust instantly. so what would be more effective is small, powerful strike units. (a la aircrafts pwning battleships.)

well, at the end of the Age of Legends, as many soldiers rode horses and fought with swords as fought with more high-tech gizmos, so highly industrialized manufacturing centers (for lack of a better term) will be unlikely. they are just too good of a target.

i think with all the travelling and power-wrought devastation that will be going on, low-tech guerilla stuff, hit-and-run type groups along with heavily warded and concealed safe zones will be the ideal. maybe even using un-occupied steddings as bases of operations...

And concerning what kind of warfare.

We can in the WoT see a mix of typical medieval weapons (with their kinds of strategies) but ALSO a growing use of the Power in war. Both for transport and logistics, personal combat and as WoMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction)... Sounds familiar? By all probability the world of WoT will se a revolution in warfare bringing it much closer to the kind we see in our world.

Moric of the Singing Wind Sept of the Miagoma Aiel

ill try not to spoilerize this but it will be kinda hard...what im hinting at isnt too important...just one event of many in a 800 pg book...but here goes...

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILERSPOILER

SPOILER

after rand in that farmhouse with loial and his elder who the hell needs stratagy?

First: As I said. Anyone who doesn't want to be sneak attacked.

Second: Considering there are people with the same powers and these powers enables you to counter or disable others magic: Strategy IS well needed. The one who stops thinking and just lashes out with the Power will certainly fall to the one who keeps thinking (especially if THAT ONE can tap the One Power). Among humans the mind have always beaten pure brute strength in the long run.

Or as a drow would have put it: "The unseen blade cuts the deepest" *Grins*

Moric of the Singing Wind Sept of the Miagoma Aiel

Totally true, Moric. One could argue that the initial side to figure out a trick or a tactic has the advantage, but after everyone knows, war goes back to the same shite different day.

It's like we have all these computers, but we still wait in line about the same amount of time in the DMV as we did before the computers.

So, strategy would just be updated, and it would end up taking just as long and costing just as much in terms of lives to take a hill or some objective.

Still, it would be neat to see the strategies they devised after several hundred years of power aided warfare.

J

Probably because your Forsaken of choice didn't mind wasting a couple of hundreds Trollocs just to find out how well prepared the Car'a'Carn was. Next time it's a good guess that there will be some countering to Rand al'Thors weaving. And then it's more a discussing about who weaves the smartest and who has the best organized support. Tactics and strategies all the way. In different forms...

But feel free to have your own ideas. That is, after all, why the Aiel has been defeating you wetlanders every time. You completely lack any sense of true strategies and tactics. Well, except for Matrim Cauthon and a few others. :mrgreen:

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma Aiel

• 1 month later...

I think we are gonna see some guerilla style tactics from Talamanes and Shen al Calhar. Remember that they do follow Egwene and co.

Now that Egwene has been taken, greth Bryne, one fo the 5 great generals of the Age, will persuade Siuan to make Gateways into TarValon when they will flood through. Many Aes Sedai Warders and soldiers will be killed on either side as the Aes Sedai can use the power due to the second rule. However, I think Elaida will be cornered in her room, when Gareth will try to take her. she will kill and Siuan will go green and turn into the Hulk...

• 4 months later...
Don't forget that Elayne knows how to make ter'angreal. You might start to see soldiers being equipped with power wrought items' date=' as well. Or at least more kin, AS, and good asha'man.

J[/quote']Can Aes Sedai make a weapon with the power for a man to use? Even then she aint bonded to the Oath Rod, how could they have a large scale production?

Archived