DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Favourite Songs and Why

Corki

As part of June's theme discussing your favourite songs and music, I am creating this thread to allow a list of Banders' and DMers' favourite songs. And this thread will stay open well after the end of June, so feel free to add to it. Once a Band of the Red Hand Spotify account is created, they will be added to a playlist, and will be free for all to listen to.

Below is the simple format that you need to copy and paste to get a song added to the list.

[u][b]Song:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Artist:[/b][/u]

[u][b]YouTube (or similar) link:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Why You Like Your Chosen Song:[/b][/u]

There is nothing stopping you from discussings songs that have been added to the list. If anything, that is encouraged.

The Chosen Songs

1. Ice Queen by Within Temptation (nominated by Corki) LINK

2. Freewill by Rush (nominated by Samuraiflip05) LINK

3. Nothing Better by The Postal Service (nominated by Krakalakachkn) LINK

4. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica (nominated by Kara_J) LINK

5. Into the West by Annie Lennox (nominated by BridMorgan) LINK

6. Paranoid Android by Radiohead (nominated by Mira) LINK

7. Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine (Sam Beam) (nominated by Loreina) LINK

8. Never Be the Same by Red (nominated by mmeeshal) LINK

9. Memories by Within Temptation (nominated by Corki) LINK

10. Fråga Stjärnora om när by Cajsa-Stina Åkerström (nominated by Braus) LINK

11. Black Coffee by Julie London (nominated by Zophiel) LINK

12. Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback (nominated by Loranflame) LINK

13. Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult (nominated by LedZepMan) LINK

14. Cornered by Dark Tranquillity (nominated by Imperium) LINK

15. Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth (nominated by Farcrie) LINK

16. It Takes A Fool To remain Sane by The Ark (nominated by Majsju) LINK

17. Testament by Vnv nation (nominated by Braus) LINK

18. Ghost Love Score by Nightwish (nominated by Corki) LINK

19. As The Rush Comes by Motorcylce (nominated by Corki) LINK

20. Satellite by OceanLab (nominated by Corki) LINK

I shall kick proceedings off.

Song: Ice Queen

Artist: Within Temptation

YouTube (or similar) link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZMP6thOT2g

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: I feel in love with this song pretty much the first time I heard it. I love the vocals of Sharon den Adel, the lead singer, on the song (and she happens to be one of my three celebrity crushes!). There is a mystical and magical feel to the song, which is enchanced by the vocals. It's a song I enjoy singing along to, and can't wait for the chance to see it live when I know I will join the countless thousands who will go crazy when it is song (usually as the group's last song). It's definitely a song for the crowd.

Song: Freewill

Artist: Rush

YouTube (or similar) link:

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: Though my musical tendencies include everything from Metal to Opera, Classic Rock has always been my bread and butter.  And while Rush is technically "Progressive Rock" their earlier music had the same sound.  Freewill has always been a top song for me, and one of the reasons Rush is my favorite band. 

EDIT: Just added some spaces. Corki

Song: Nothing Better

Artist: The Postal Service

YouTube (or similar) link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEyERbpAljg

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: Ever since I heard this song for the first time, it's been on my top 3 list.  I absolutely love this song for a multitude of reasons.  Although my favorites don't usually include much electronic-style music, Ben Gibbard did a great job with Postal Service's sound.  The biggest reason I like this song is because everything blends perfectly.  The song is a duet between Ben Gibbard and Jenny Lewis.  Their voices blend effortlessly, the lyrics are meaningful and so good.  The beat is great too.  All around an awesome song.

The 3 songs nominated so far have been added to the Band of the Red Hand's Spotify account. DMers will have access to our playlists shortly, so watch this space.

Song: Nothing Else Matters

Artist: Metallica

YouTube (or similar) link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPnyi90cIc

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: It's always been an emotive song for me. The lyrics just mean so much to me:

So close, no matter how far

Couldn't be much more from the heart

Forever trusting who we are

and nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way

All these words I don't just say

and nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you

Every day for us something new

Open mind for a different view

and nothing else matters

never cared for what they do

never cared for what they know

but I know

and nothing else matters

but I know

Never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way

All these words I don't just say

Trust I seek and I find in you

Every day for us, something new

Open mind for a different view

and nothing else matters

never cared for what they say

never cared for games they play

and I know

No, nothing else matters

(Corki - if you can fin the original or the S&M version of this on Spotify - I will  :-* :-* :-* you!)

Song: Into the West

Artist: Annie Lennox

Why You Like Your Chosen Song:  The powerful voice gets you first, then you realize that this song speaks to you in some way. Loss of a friend, a loved one, a change of life.  It cries out to us all.  At least that is the way I look at it.  It calls to all of us who have made a life changing decision.  Its powerful and much more.

Song: Flightless Bird, American Mouth

Artist: Iron and Wine (Sam Beam)

Why You Like Your Chosen Song:

:) From the first time I heard it, it has been stuck in my head. The melody is haunting and the lyrics very poignant. It resonates with my life experiences.

Edit: Maybe I should elaborate a little more. People are thinking I'm strange. But I think the words can mean just about whatever you want them to mean. This is what I think of when I hear it:

I was a quick wet boy, diving too deep for coins  (I was young and special - going to live forever - indestructible.)

All of your street light eyes wide on my plastic toys  (I took everything for granted, took everything people gave me and asked for more.)

Then when the cops closed the fair, I cut my long baby hair  (But after you're grown, the fair's no fun any more. In fact the fairs I knew as a child are gone.)

Stole me a dog-eared map and called for you everywhere  (And I had to grow up and go get a life. You know make something of myself. But I didn't know what I wanted to be.)

Have I found you  (Is this what I wanted out of life?  Is this material success and spiritual emptiness all there is?)

Flightless bird, jealous, weeping or lost you, american mouth (Or did I fail? What happened to my american dream?)

Big pill looming  (Having to accept that I went wrong somewhere is "a hard pill to swallow" as my mother used to say.)

Now I'm a fat house cat  ( I had all the material things of this world.)

Nursing my sore blunt tongue  (But I wasn't happy.)

Watching the warm poison rats curl through the wide fence cracks  (Nothing can stop the steady decline of the body.)

Pissing on magazine photos  (I read the ads for all the longevity drugs, foods, cosmetics, etc.)

Those fishing lures thrown in the cold  (And I buy them even though I know they won't work. I will still die someday, and it won't be long from now.)

And clean blood of Christ mountain stream  (My day of reckoning will come.)

Have I found you  (Can I still find my dream? Is there still enough time?)

Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding or lost you, american mouth  (Doesn't

(seem so. I think I'm stuck with the results of the decisions I've made...)

Big pill stuck going down

Oh, Lorei, I love that song!

And, I love Into the West, too!

Song: Never Be the Same

Artist: Red

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: Well, it's tough to say.... The music has a...well, I'd say wistful feel to it, and the words go together really well with the music.  The whole song is just emotional and I really get into it.  Sometimes I feel myself tearing up a bit....  And it's my absolute favorite song, it's the number 1 most played song on my iPod.  Ever since I first heard the song I've been in love with it.

Song: Memories

Artist: Within Temptation

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: I know I have already picked one Within Temptation song, but I really do like this group. As mentioned on my other song, Sharon den Adel, the lead singer, is one of three women I would leave Northie for if they ever asked me out (Natalie Portman and Bridget Regan are the other two).

Enough of my celebrity crushes! Back to the song! This song is a lot softer than Within Temptation usual songs - you could call it a ballad. I know the lyrics are quite sombre, but there is an element of hope there. I find it a powerful song, but also thought provoking. Plus at certain times in my life, it is a song I feel I can connect to.

Ditto on the Rush, Annie Lennox, Red, and Metallica! (I'll have to listen to the others before I agree on those, though I'm sure I'll agree ^_^)

I'd like to add:

Song: Black Coffee

Arist: Julie London

YouTube (or similar) link

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: This is the quintessential Torch Song. If Jessica Rabbit (from the movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) were ever an actual real human, she woulda been Julie London. Between the sexy, smokey vocals and the perfectly balanced orchestra--the syncopated accents perfectly together, the piano noodling in the background, the very brassy brass-- this is the probably the best example of this type of music. Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday were both great jazz singers, but when it comes to Torch songs, nothing beats this. I'd think that even people who generally don't listen to the genre will recognise how very classic this sound is, and how perfectly this cut captures it.

• 3 weeks later...

Song: Today Was Your Last Day

Artist: Nickelback

YouTube (or similar) link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuCX3zhCKU

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: The Lyrics rock. Anytime I listen to that song which actually isn't too often but when I do I get inspired to go do something productive. It's not really my favourite song there are other songs I like more. Lyric wise though I think it's a great song.

EDIT: Argh! So much bold text! Editted to remove it. Corki

• 2 weeks later...

Song: Don't Fear the Reaper

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llBdmFD6yE4

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: I like the way they change the sound. First its kinda upbeat, to me anyway, and it changes down to a dark feeling, and back. I just love the lyrics, they say to me that you need to live life, go for it. And I enjoy the whole Romeo and Juliet part.

EDIT: Edited so it fits the proper format! Corki

Song: Cornered

Artist: Dark Tranquillity

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: I am not sure why I like this so much, got it first on a random album off a metal mag and loved it straight away, just bought the album its on. (Not sure what spotify is like, might be hard to find...)

EDIT: Argh! So much bold text! Editted to remove it. Corki

Song: Twilight of the Thunder God

Artist: Amon Amarth

YouTube (or similar) link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABVwEgzIss

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: I've always been into metal music and norse mythology. Amon Amarth brings the two together swimmingly. Twilight of the Thunder God depicts Thor's battle with the Midgar Serpent Jormungandr. 

EDIT: Edited so it fits the proper format! Corki

I thought about this for 30 seconds, and came up with around 20 songs I would not hesitate to nominate. After a longer pondering, I cut that down to five candidates (with the rule that no artist could ave more than one song on the list). Of those five, I let chance pick my final choice.

Song: It Takes A Fool To remain Sane

Artist: The Ark

Why You Like Your Chosen song: This is a true epic. An anthem to all the freaks, all the misfits, all the people who refuse to allow others to dictate what is normal, to dictate how to live. An anthem to those who let their hearts guide them.

Writing songs with a (more or less) political message is one of the hardest things to do. The slightest mistake, an you end up in the Pathetic-folder. One of the keys to avoid that is writing a song that stands on its own musically, and this song certainly does. There is a sadness in the music, and in Olas voice. But a sadness that is contested by the repetative bassline, that strives upwards and forward, and contested by the growing determination in Olas voice. During concerts, when this song is played, it almsot feels like a religious gathering (Fun fact: vocalist Ola is the son of a priest). Hearing 10000 people chant 'Do do do do, Let your heart decide what you have to do', it is difficult to not tear up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

removed my last post, and going with another one instead. This time a english one... Well i still got some kind of special relationship to that last song for some strange reason even though i never listen to similar artists. But it feels abit more serious to actually take something english, and well this one is definetly one of the best i knows. Obviously i've had a part of the lyric in my signature aswell for a while.

Song: Testament

Artist: Vnv nation

Why You Like Your Chosen song: First of all, before we come to the song. I absolutely love the video, it fits so well with the song for some reason and ive proberly watched it over fifty times.

Anyway i just like alot of the quotes you can take from the lyrics in the song. To be honest im not completly sure what the song as a whole is about, that is i got my own opinion but i might be wrong, havent researched it. Hopefully i havent missunderstood the song completly and its about something idiotic. Anyone got any ideas?:) Oh and yeah, it takes abit before you get into the song, its proberly better the 2nd time you listen to it.

Song: Ghost Love Score

Artist: Nightwish

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: From the awesome album Once (Nightwish's best album, in my eyes), I just love the complexity and variety in music, speed and vocals in this song. The more I listen to the song, the more I love it! In my eyes, it is 10 minutes of pure musical awesomeness!

EDIT: ORG points for October for this thread done up to here. Corki

EDIT: ORG points for November for this thread done up to here. Corki

EDIT: ORG points for December for this thread done up to here. Corki

EDIT: Org points for January for this thread done up to here. Jea

EDIT: Points for February done to here. Corki

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Time to wake this thread up!

Song: As The Rush Comes

Artist: Motorcycle

Why You Like Your Chosen Song: This takes me back a few years! This was massive amongst a few of my friends at school. I love the remix versions of this song that exist. A real summery piece of progressive house/trance to relax and chill out to.

Archived