DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Flying Aes Sedai

t-bag

i had a doubt about this...remember in Winters Heart when Rand goes to the bootmakers place to fight the renegade Asha'men and Ny lifts him and Lan up into the roof...well she only had to utilize half of the well so suppose that 2 powerful aes sedai are linked then they can easily make people of themselves fly a short distance right...maybe a circle of 10 can make them fly a longer distance...this can be used in the Last Battle when u have to kill Draghkar or other Shadowspawn or aim better in battles...just a thought...any comments?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:)just a crazy idea here but what if you could create massive 'air stillts' (or sumthing) and walk about on them?
Then you'd be walking.
Or just maybe the aes sedai flying about metioned in the age of legends refers to that black place which rand often goes into by opening a portal and then glideing on a silver platform?
No, that's skimming.

suppose that 2 powerful aes sedai are linked then they can easily make people of themselves fly a short distance right.
Wrong. The situation in WH was of someone being lifted. The people moved are lifted and put down, not flying. Doesn't matter how many you link, that will always be true.

some of the stuff other ter'angreal can do is much more impossible than flying
No, it isn't. The impossible can't be done.

What is classed as flying? When an aircraft lifts a person and lands, is that flying? Where is the line drawn?
When an aircraft takes off, that is flight. When I pick something up, that is not flying.

And when you create a platform for someone to stand on, and let it rise and fall?
Rule of thumb: If it was done without the Power, would you consider it flight? So, if you made a platform,and used a crane to move it up and down, would people call it flight? No. If you pushed it out a plane? No, they'd call it falling. If you stuck an engine to it and let it take to the skies under its own power? Yes. Your example is the first, thus it is being picked up and put down, not flying.

maybe the aes sedai that could fly in the age of legends where just appearing to fly like standing on a platform of air?      Or what (if they were powerful enough) if the aes sedai changed gravity around and then 'fell' towards the sky and then mastering this technique appeared to fly when actually there just falling?      This (gravity shifting) was done in book 3 "the dragon reborn" by ba'alzamon (or is it ishmael?)                        any comments?  ???

maybe the aes sedai that could fly in the age of legends where just appearing to fly like standing on a platform of air?
That would be standing. Maybe they just got in a Sho-wing and flew.
This (gravity shifting) was done in book 3 "the dragon reborn" by ba'alzamon (or is it ishmael?)
Ishamael is Ba'alzamon. And how do you know what he did?

quote]This (gravity shifting) was done in book 3 "the dragon reborn" by ba'alzamon (or is it ishmael?)

Ishamael is Ba'alzamon. And how do you know what he did?

well he didnt actually fly with but he did change gravity because it effcts rand, i was just saying its possible to change gravity, then u might be able to somehow fly 

I remember reading Siuan saying something about it being impossible to use weaves of air on yourself to fly but you can use it on others to lift them into the air etc etc.

Two Aes Sedai, using the flows on each other, leads me to believe Aes Sedai could fly in pairs maybe?

No. Try lifting someone off the ground. Presumably, you can manage. Try lifting yourself off the ground in the same way. You can't. You cannot pick yourself up by the bootstraps. While you are lifting someone off the ground, get them to lift you up. Just the two of you, no other support. Your friend, hanging in mid-air, picking you off the ground. Again, you can't. For the exact same reason, your idea wouldn't work.

What about on the boat when Siuan is giving Nynaeve and Egwene lessons?

She picks Nynaeve up and turns her upside down and in turn Nynaeve pins Siuan to the wall, both suspended in air.

They're not suspended in mid-air. Siuan and Nynaeve are pinned against opposite walls of the room.

This isn't a physics thing here. One woman is not supporting the others weight like trying to pull your self off the ground. Its not a weight distribution problem.

When Nynaeve hoists Lan up to a window in one of the later books, she does not get crushed under his weight as if he was laying on top of her.

It sounds like all that is required is touching something grounded to the Earth. This doesn't really make sense to me but it's the only explanation I can find.

So what if there are two Aes Sedai flying each other both with a long pieces of string dangling of the both of them touching the ground?

i don't understand why so many are obsesssed with the idea that aes sedai somehow MUST have the ability to fly?

go get some kryptonian sperms and eggs and grow your own supermen/women if you are so eager to see humanoids fly.

This isn't a physics thing here.
With the Power, it is always a "physics thing".

This might sound daft but if you were standing on an invisible aeroplane (say), in flight, would you be flying or standing on air? If a plane is supported by air is it not similar to a weave of air?
Is that plane flying? If so, yes, if not, no. Then you just have the problem of getting a weave of Air to turn into a working aeroplane.

Now, I have a theory. If you started by taping a bunch of cats together...

• 1 month later...

Hasn't anyone ever seen "The Fantastic 4"?

Susan Storm, "Invisible Woman", creates a disc under her feet and makes it solid. She then stands on it and makes it move in any direction she wants. The only thing she has to do is keep her balance.

While I don't think Aes Sedai or channelers in general can produce force-fields, they could do it with air.

Remember from the 2nd book, the moment where Siuan visits Nynaeve and Egwene on the boat to instruct them. She makes a sword out of air. She claims it to be better than most normal swords. So in other words, it can hit solid objects.

The possibilities are endless, and with a little imagination, I do think a channeler with a proficiency in Air can create a solid disk for him/her to stand on. After that, the creation of local air currents and keeping your balance would be all that is needed.

the 'stand on the platform idea' would not work because of the following :

- as every one said ealier in the post you can not lift you self of the ground with the one power

- it has to be anchored to somthing e.G the tipe rope elayne use's

- and because of many other reasons that i cant be bothered to explain but sumone else probally might list sum  ::)

the 'stand on the platform idea' would not work because of the following :

- and because of many other reasons that i cant be bothered to explain but sumone else probally might list sum  ::)

that have already been explained multiple times in this thread if people would read before posting wild theories ::)

- as every one said ealier in the post you can not lift you self of the ground with the one power
But you can lift the platform. It's a matter of bending an air current at a certain angle towards the bottom of the platform. Lifting yourself(without a platform) is indeed impossible, because of the fact that the human body has a shape that is too difficult for a single current of air to balance. Even multiple currents would require an inconceivable amount of mastery.

- it has to be anchored to somthing e.G the tipe rope elayne use's

It does not need to be anchored at all. Did the sword and the knife that Siuan Sanche made in book 2 need an anchor of any kind? No, they did not! An anchor-point is not a requirement, it is an option. Offcourse, gravity alone will make anything fall. So you can't just create an object in mid-air and expect it to remain there. It will fall.

Since the rope was hung above the ground, something needed to be used as an anchor, in the case the rope itself. If not, the construction would have fallen, no matter how light.

Create an object and it will fall. Create a strong air current, send it towards your created object, and just like any other object in the entire world, it will move(if light enough and/or the current strong enough). Stand in its way and you will be moved too.

The big idea is to send a vertical current from the ground to the sky, thrusting the platform up. That is perfectly possible without someone standing on it. If someone is standing on it, it just takes a stronger current and the shifting of your weight to keep the platform in balance.

Any object can be created out of air, and as has been shown many times throughout all the books, you can bind a weave, leave it alone and it will remain functional until someone unravels it.

The idea of standing on a platform is perfectly valid. It requires three things:

1) Making the platform and tying the weave so it needs not be constantly supported. This can be done.

2) A user needs to be able to channel air efficiently. There are tons of Aes Sedai with a proficiency in air...

3) Training and balance. Which only requires time and patience. Which the Aes Sedai are good at.

Archived