DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Flying Aes Sedai

t-bag

In 'The Fires of Heaven' Elayne, as part of the travaling circus, uses air to walk the high rope. To my mind this comes awfully close to flying.  Is it possible because the weave is tethered to the high rope?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 'The Fires of Heaven' Elayne, as part of the travaling circus, uses air to walk the high rope. To my mind this comes awfully close to flying.  Is it possible because the weave is tethered to the high rope?

From the way i understand it, she made "steps" out of weaves of air.

Flying is different from supporting oneself or levitation.

But you make an intriguing point. Would she be able to weave those steps in the air if the tightrope was not there?

Can you move weaves of air? If you can step on the weave and move it then, in theory, you can fly.

I remember reading Siuan saying something about it being impossible to use weaves of air on yourself to fly but you can use it on others to lift them into the air etc etc.

Two Aes Sedai, using the flows on each other, leads me to believe Aes Sedai could fly in pairs maybe?

confusing  :D

From the way i understand it, she made "steps" out of weaves of air.

Flying is different from supporting oneself or levitation.

But you make an intriguing point. Would she be able to weave those steps in the air if the tightrope was not there?

No because, as I understand it, the flows of air have to be attached to something solid. As an example, think of the air bridge Rand wove between the rowboat and the Seafolk ship. Elaine's flows are probably anchored either to the rope or to the platforms at the ends of the rope.

Indeed, using Air to create a platform is not flying--there is a limit to height. With men i believe it was about ten feet, and with women it was about thirteen.

Asmodean or Moghedian states that it is impossible to fly with the power. Siuan's comment most probably referred to Aes Sedai using Sho-Wings. She specifically states that it is not said how Aes Sedai could fly, so they've probably encountered comments like 'the Aes Sedai flew to Tzora for the conference blah blah blah...' like 'Sara flew to Paris for the conference' and assumed. In the same way a modern person wouldn't say 'Sara flew to paris in an airoplane' so too wouldn't the Age of Legenders have said 'the Aes Sedai flew in a sho-wing'.

That being said there are theoretical ways the power could be used for personal flight. Air and Fire could create enough of a push to create a rocket like effect, I suppose, but it would be incredibly dangerous, and probably impossible to control--not to mention pointless.

I remember reading Siuan saying something about it being impossible to use weaves of air on yourself to fly but you can use it on others to lift them into the air etc etc.

Two Aes Sedai, using the flows on each other, leads me to believe Aes Sedai could fly in pairs maybe?

No. Try lifting someone off the ground. Presumably, you can manage. Try lifting yourself off the ground in the same way. You can't. You cannot pick yourself up by the bootstraps. While you are lifting someone off the ground, get them to lift you up. Just the two of you, no other support. Your friend, hanging in mid-air, picking you off the ground. Again, you can't. For the exact same reason, your idea wouldn't work.

I always thought that Air could be used to make a solid bridge without it being attached to something...i.e. solidifying the air into a bridge or something.  With that, one could walk to the end of the bridge, weave another one, and continue on. 

the only reason I rethought this was because when Rand was visiting the Sea Folk, he was ruffling through LTT's memories and said that the bridge he made was the furthest he could make it, and did not suggest that he could just weave another one.  then he mentioned that women could weave a longer bridge than men. 

I just thought of it something like Invisible Woman...Air being used to create force-field type walking space, and when the channeler reaches the end of it they simply make another one.  I hadn't really thought that it would be necessary to attach it to something.

No. Try lifting someone off the ground. Presumably, you can manage. Try lifting yourself off the ground in the same way. You can't. You cannot pick yourself up by the bootstraps. While you are lifting someone off the ground, get them to lift you up. Just the two of you, no other support. Your friend, hanging in mid-air, picking you off the ground. Again, you can't. For the exact same reason, your idea wouldn't work.

What about on the boat when Siuan is giving Nynaeve and Egwene lessons?

She picks Nynaeve up and turns her upside down and in turn Nynaeve pins Siuan to the wall, both suspended in air.

She picks Nynaeve up and turns her upside down and in turn Nynaeve pins Siuan to the wall, both suspended in air.

They're not suspended in mid-air. Siuan and Nynaeve are pinned against opposite walls of the room.

They're not suspended in mid-air. Siuan and Nynaeve are pinned against opposite walls of the room.

I see your point, but its incorrect in one part.

When Nynaeve slams Siuan into the wall, she is being suspended, mid air and upside down by Siuan.

I see what you are saying Mr Ares and it makes sense, but that instance on the boat with Nynaeve and Siuan proves that you can lift someone off the ground while you are suspended by the power.

Siuan has Nynaeve suspended in mid air, upside down, and it says in the book that Siuan flew back against the wall of the cabin.

Just re-read the part i was referring to, Book 2 chapter 18.

Siuan Actually raises Nynaeve to the cieling of the cabin, and is then hurled backwards to the wall of the cabin.

Going with these examples, it is quiet possible to channel each other into the air to some degree, because even as Nynaeve hurls Siuan through the air to the cabin wall, Siuan Keeps Nynaeve suspended in the air.

Also Siuan says to the girls right before that confrontation between her and Nynaeve that Aes Sedai used to be able to fly, but no one knows how.

Ive gone off on a tangent here, but still it makes for interesting ideas.

I maintain that i think it is possible for two aes sedai to suspend each other in the air to some degree, and if Nynaeve can hurl Siuan through the air while Siuan suspend Nynaeve in the air, then it is fair to suggest that two aes sedai can combine levitation (as Siuan is doing to Nynaeve) and propulsion (what Nynaeve does to Siuan while hanging in mid air) to achieve dual flight :D

IIRC Siuan tries to levitate Gareth Bryne with Air when she is first Healed and fails completely (he doesnt even get off the ground).  This would seem to indicate that flying using this method requires a lot of strength and so its probably completely impractical to do the whole dual flying method, although it might be technically possible.

IIRC Siuan tries to levitate Gareth Bryne with Air when she is first Healed and fails completely (he doesnt even get off the ground).  This would seem to indicate that flying using this method requires a lot of strength and so its probably completely impractical to do the whole dual flying method, although it might be technically possible.

well, Siuan had been stilled and healed.

Take Nynaeve and Egwene, two very powerful girls who can channel, Siuan after she is healed is a bad example because she is notably weaker.

As for the men, Rand is powerful enough to lift both Elayne and Egwene in the air at the same time as making tables and books dance around the room, and Mazrim Taim or Logain Ablar have been stated as being near Rand in strength, if they decided to test my theory  ;) i think they might be able to pull it off.

Yes, exactly. The point was that lifting somebody else up is probably something that can only be marginally done by Aes Sedai.  Before being stilled, Siuan could toss somebody around with some effort as people have pointed out.  But when she got a bit weaker, she couldnt even come close to doing that.  Regardless, you would have to think that it would be extremely draining for any Aes Sedai to do the whole flying thing, which is why I think its possible but completely impractical.

Take Nynaeve and Egwene, two very powerful girls who can channel, Siuan after she is healed is a bad example because she is notably weaker.

As for the men, Rand is powerful enough to lift both Elayne and Egwene in the air at the same time as making tables and books dance around the room, and Mazrim Taim or Logain Ablar have been stated as being near Rand in strength, if they decided to test my theory  i think they might be able to pull it off.

They would fail. The limit is ten feet for men, thirteen for women, irreguardless of strength. Weaker channelers cannot lift people at all, but even the strongest cannot exceed those limits. Furthermore without an anchor two channelers cannot lift each other a wit. Siuan was still braced allowing her to hold Nynaeve--had Nynaeve tried to lift her something very different would have occurred.

As for the men, Rand is powerful enough to lift both Elayne and Egwene in the air at the same time as making tables and books dance around the room, and Mazrim Taim or Logain Ablar have been stated as being near Rand in strength, if they decided to test my theory   i think they might be able to pull it off.

They would fail. The limit is ten feet for men, thirteen for women, irreguardless of strength. Weaker channelers cannot lift people at all, but even the strongest cannot exceed those limits. Furthermore without an anchor two channelers cannot lift each other a wit. Siuan was still braced allowing her to hold Nynaeve--had Nynaeve tried to lift her something very different would have occurred.

I see your point, when you say something very different would occur had Nynaeve tried to lift Siuan in the air while she herself was suspended in air, what do you think would have happened? Or would she flat out not be able to lift her while she is in the air?

or at the very least they would have reached some sort of middle ground balance point.  Nyneave falling and Siuan rising.

I think it's safe to say that the current Aes Sedai and the world around them don't have a concept of things like sho-wings and what not, so when the manuscripts say "Aes Sedai could fly" it most likely meant they were using these things if an Aes Sedai of capable strength to Travel was not around.

They would fail. The limit is ten feet for men, thirteen for women, irreguardless of strength.

first of all irreguardless would mean the opposite of what you are saying, if its even a word which im pretty sure it isnt, regardless is what you are looking for.

as for you exact numbers i dont know, but i do remember egwene dropping the seafolk into the river in book 5, and she said no matter how hard she tried, shoe could only get them so high.

They would fail. The limit is ten feet for men, thirteen for women, irreguardless of strength.
first of all irreguardless would mean the opposite of what you are saying, if its even a word which im pretty sure it isnt, regardless is what you are looking for.

as for you exact numbers i dont know, but i do remember egwene dropping the seafolk into the river in book 5, and she said no matter how hard she tried, shoe could only get them so high.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Irreguardless is indeed a word, for though it is generally listed in dictionaries as 'nonstandard' it is in commen usage. At least in Australia. Indeed its much the same as many words, like, for instance 'prat'... nonstandard but in common use, and as such acknowledged. Not that i would dream of using that word here.

Why be bitchy when you were agreeing with me anyway? Bitchy, by the way, implies the traits of a female dog--a highly loyal and friendly creature. So, since we are being utterly technical, i am complimenting you.

Just coz i didn't wan't the be yelled at again. Yes, i said 'coz'.

Archived