DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

silly, even ridiculous, theoretical question...

Skinwalker

You are reading some book in your room and out of nowhere a gateway forms in the middle of it, through it you can clearly see the White Tower. Then a man dressed all in black steps into your room stating that "You better hurry up and get your things together, i'm leaving in fifteen minutes."

So, you have 15 minutes, what do YOU grab?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um...medication, cause there is some serious delusions going on right har!

Seriously...I'd probably just pack a bag like I would for a vacation...changes of clothes, toothbrush, deoderent, cologne, and a crapload of books...hehe...The wheel of time series...sure why not?

Burned? I don't think the situation implies that you are being set up to become a novice. For example, why would black-clad men be hanging around picking up novices? I'd be more inclined to think that it was an Asha'man attack on the White Tower ... in which case I'd probably refuse to go since as a non-channeller I can hardly defend myself. ;)

Well deffinetly bring the books along with, so that i have some idea on customs and be sure i remember them, food, water, and some guns--no arrow there lol, i dont know what else, maybe a sketchpad, pillow, everything for camping pretty much.

Just a question, why would u bring your wallet. There isnt any money in WoT, only coins. Or is it just to enjoy watching money burn.

if you're male and this happened (which i am) then you could assume that one of the Ashaman has come to recruit you into the Black Tower, they do send search parties everywhere to find new recruits,

Just a question, why would u bring your wallet

i bring my wallet everywhere i go, i have no money but it has little momentos of mine, i.e. Family pics, lyrics to fav. songs (yes those are in my wallet), and my house key, just stuff i don't want to loose...

You wouldnt need a house key would you? You are being transported to a mysterious, fantasy world created in the mind of a human being!

I think you need to take the medication and a sign which reads:

Hi, my name is Kati. I live at ...... If you see me wandering around trying to channel please return me to my home. Thanks!

But then again... I would take with me a warm coat and some stout walking boots. It gets cold in the White Tower!

Simple My guns, all of em, with as much ammo as I can grab.

the WOT series, useful for referances and learning certain customs...time to charm one of those long legged Aiel women :P

ALL my engineering books...say hello to a new age in technological advancement for Randland. Why make due with catapults when we can have tanks? and depending on how large the gateway is, perhaps I can fit my truck....with alot of gas :P

A copy of Culpepper's Herbal, just in case there are some medicinal herbs I can utilise (and also something fascinating to read), and a hairbrush. I never go anywhere without a hairbrush. If I feel I look neat and tidy, I feel good about myself, more confident etc. Self possession and dignity are quite important to me in new situations.

*grins*

Well, first and obviously, the book I'm reading, because I'd be really annoyed if I didn't get to finish it. *grins*

Additionally... There's a wrist strap in my upper desk drawer that holds a trio of throwing spikes; also, a jack-knife. Definately taking those, in case it's a trap. (I might even stuff one of the kitchen knives somewhere accessible, if I can keep it less than obvious; a ten-inch blade is nothing to sneeze at and if nothing else, I can always pawn it.)

Some of my best jeans, since no one seems to have invented blue-jeans over there. Other well-made clothes that pack well, so that I can have things I'm comfortable in. Extra shoes. My waterproof jacket and a pair of umbrellas. My bike-light (and spare batteries) and bikechain, along with the bike if he'll let me walk it through - it'd be useful to hang extra bags over so that I can carry more, even if there aren't good enough roads. A backpack, obviously.

My toiletry bag - toothpaste, nail clippers, combs, but most importantly as much of the medicine cabinet as I can shove in. Bandages, hydrogen peroxide, asprin, antihistamines, ibuprofin, razors, scissors, etc. Alas, I've no antibiotics on hand, but the rest would be pretty dang useful.

A few reference books - I've a blacksmithing manual and some general science texts that might come in handy. Possibly some short story collections, if I've space. (If nothing else, as curiosities.) My blank journals, plus the box of pencils and pens from the desk.

Any of the loose candies/chocolate sitting around, plus granola bars or other food that I can store and carry with. Also, any of the useful loose contents of my desktop - a small padlock and key, my hair ties, and other small things.

A quick email/phone call to various people, to let them know where I've gone off to. (Whether I'm believed or not is their problem...) Finally, my wallet, because I'll want access to my ID and money when I convince them to bring me back so that I can recruit a few more people from over here. *grins* After all, I've promised my brother, among others, that I wouldn't leave them out of something like this if I had any way of including them.

I'd take along my stole and my Great Serpent ring. I'm pretty sure with those' date=' I can brow beat my way into anything else I might want.[/quote']

Except, of course, judging by Mat/Egwene, the first Accepted you run across would steal them off you. *grins* I'm sure you'd get them back _eventually_...

one question BenT, what good are most those things, they will all run out eventually and instead of adapting to your new life a quick as possible you would only be posponing the culture shock you would experience once you are there...

only the knifes and other conventional things would even be good for barter, the Aes Sedai and the like would probably confenscate the Flash Light to figure out how it works, and blue jeans would just make your self stand out and if your trying to hide from anybody, everybody would just recoginize you on site, what i'm saying is that i really don't see the point of taking all that stuff :?

honestly Ben did bring up one major thing.

ALOT of penicilon. The reasons are this. What happened when Europeans came over here to the US? Alot of N.A. died cause of introduced diseases that their immune systems had never seen before.

I figure that I would need the pen. for the diseases that are common to them but my body is not used to. that would be more of a propblem then the opposite I think.

one question BenT, what good are most those things, they will all run out eventually and instead of adapting to your new life a quick as possible you would only be posponing the culture shock you would experience once you are there...

Heh. If the sight of a portal opening up across the room isn't enough to blow my mind, I don't think culture shock is really going to be a worry. (You're one of those people who think it's best to cannon-ball straight into freezing water, don't you? *grins*) I've always adapted quickly and well, and it'd seriously annoy me to _not_ have brought something useful that I _could_ have chosen to bring. I don't see any reason I should deny myself something that I have on-hand just because it's not readily available on the other side of the portal.

Besides, I'd plan on introducing plenty of culture shock the other way... Possibly literally... Batteries and direct current wouldn't be _that_ difficult to set up. *grins*

only the knifes and other conventional things would even be good for barter,

Eh, about five minutes past on the other side, and they're about the least valuable things I'd have - because everyone and his uncle has a _knife_. Once I'm sure it's not an ambush, they'd go into the bottom of the backpack and probably stay there.

the Aes Sedai and the like would probably confenscate the Flash Light to figure out how it works,

Because of course, annoying the one person in the world (short of perhaps Forsaken) who does know how it works, and with any clue how to build more, is the smartest thing for them to do. *grins* Besides, I figure if they went to to trouble of coming all this way for me, I've got enough leverage that they aren't going to steal things out of my bags.

and blue jeans would just make your self stand out and if your trying to hide from anybody, everybody would just recoginize you on site, what i'm saying is that i really don't see the point of taking all that stuff :?

Why would I want to hide? I mean, sure, occasionally I might want to be incognito - but there's plenty of clothing stores that I could buy something from over there, when it comes to that. Part of the _point_ of bringing clothes is so that I can convincingly look like "The Man From Far Away" when I need to. *grins* It's the same reason mad scientists wear lab coats all the time - people take you more seriously if you've got the costume right.

Ben T-Gaidin

I figure that I would need the pen. for the diseases that are common to them but my body is not used to. that would be more of a propblem then the opposite I think.

Actually, if I had them available I'd rather bring a good book on, and a culture of, penicillin so that I could grow my own. *wry grin* Although I'd tend to think that, by and large, my diseases would be more a problem to them then theirs to me. Setting aside the fact that I don't think they even have a concept of drug-resistant diseases - I live in a metropolitan area that by itself has a larger population than most nations over there. That means that the diseases are freer to become more virulant, because they won't kill off everyone in the village before having time to spread somewhere else... I think as long as I remember to boil the water and wash my hands, I'll probably be in good shape.

Guest Majsju
ALOT of penicilon. The reasons are this. What happened when Europeans came over here to the US? Alot of N.A. died cause of introduced diseases that their immune systems had never seen before.

Penicillin when there's Aes Sedai around able to heal pretty much anything? meh.

Archived