DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Pick a cover artist

ryharr5

I really like the WoT books, but I think the cover art is subpar for so great a series.  DKS's style works for a series like Xanth but not, IMO, in a more mature series.  If I had to chose a new artist, I would pick whoever does the covers of the Robin Hobb's The Tawny Man and Soldier Son trilogies.  Who would you choose?

Here are two examples

Renegade's Magic

http://www.amazon.com/Renegades-Magic-Soldier-Trilogy-Book/dp/0060757647/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240341197&sr=1-2

Golden Fool

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Fool-Tawny-Man-Book/dp/0553582453/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240341008&sr=1-6

Well I love the DKS covers (I know I'm the minority) and I'm happy he's going to be able to finish the series he started.

But in re-releases of the series, if I had to choose another cover artist, or artist in general, I would KILL to have John Howe or Alan Lee.

Well I love the DKS covers (I know I'm the minority) and I'm happy he's going to be able to finish the series he started.

But in re-releases of the series, if I had to choose another cover artist, or artist in general, I would KILL to have John Howe or Alan Lee.

I prefer Alan Lee for something like a book cover illustration. So, I'll agree with that.

I can't really argue with those choices, that's for sure.

But...if I had my druthers, it would be Michael Whelan.

OR some of DM's own artists, say Seamus Gallagher, for example? Check out his DM gallery here: Lord_of_Chaos_jr

He rocks! Him or Jeremy Saliba (who also rocks). Check out his gallery on blogspot: http://jeremysaliba.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheel%20of%20time

I put a second vote for Micheal Whelan not that it really matters but that would be my choice if it did. I really love how MW can capture emotion not just in people but in scenery as well. If anyone could do justice to WoT feel it would be Micheal Whelan.

I take that cover art (and other kinds of illustrations) is decided by either the publisher or the person that holds the copyrights.

Unless they are having trouble (and tell so), I think it would be better to let them decide.

By the way, at JordanCon, Tom Doherty said they definitely intend to have DKS finish out the series, but that Tor would consider re-releasing new editions at a later date with covers by a different artist. DKS has apparently had some health problems, anyway, so that makes complete sense, all personal artistic preferences aside.

I take that cover art (and other kinds of illustrations) is decided by either the publisher or the person that holds the copyrights.
Yes...

Unless they are having trouble (and tell so), I think it would be better to let them decide.
They are going to decide. And they are going to make the wrong choice, because any choice other than "Kill Sweet and burn his works!" is inherently wrong. Just think of all the poor American readers out there, forced to buy books with awful covers. Have you no compassion, mb? How can you stand to see the readers suffer so with such dire artworks on the covers and not think to reach out and help them by suggesting someone who isn't awful? Monster! If everyone showed a similar level of callousness towards the poor reader, we would not have had the generous soul at Orbit who, out of the goodness of his or her heart, gave us nice looking covers.

I think a 5 year old with crayons would be a better artist then DKS.

Well, I didn't object to his artistic skills, but I kinda have this expectation that, if you are going to do cover artwork, you should not only read the book's description but also make some attempt to reflect it in your art.  ;) Now, granted, maybe he didn't have access to enough detail about the story when he first did the cover of EOTW, but once the book came out, you would have thought he would have read it to get a better idea of what trollocs and our heroes actually looked and dressed like.

Ah, well, this ground has been furrowed many times here on DM. I think, if we could get any of the artists we've already listed in this thread, perhaps they would take more care to make art that would match the world of WOT. It is to be hoped.

Archived