DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cheer Up Singles Day is Back! (Feb. 15th)

Dwynwen

Yes, I know it's already the 16th for most of you, but it's still the 15th over here, so there.   ;)

Okay, singles!  The couples have had their fun, so now it's time for ours!  The popular DM Cheer Up Singles Day celebration is back.     

Here's a little historical background on this holiday for those of you who were not around for the last few years.  I created Cheer Up Singles Day when I was a sophomore in college.  It depressed me to see how singles always seemed to get left out on Valentine's Day, and I wanted us to have our own holiday where we could feel loved and appreciated, so I created one.  I began celebrating it with friends in college, then I used it as an event for my residents when I was a Resident Assistant, and then I brought the tradition here.  We've had a Cheer Up Singles Day celebration almost every year since I've been here.

*Hands out red roses and pins that say, "I think, therefore I'm single."

As usual, the first thing I'd like to do to make our single people feel special is to let them know that they are freakin' awesome. I'll start by listing some single people I know on DM and talking about the qualities that make them special. Please feel free to post with compliments for other DM singles!

Nia:  Yes, I brag about you every year, but if people are tired of it, they are just going to have to listen anyway.   ;)  You've been so loyal and supportive throughout the years.  You are very mature and wise for your age.  I love you!

Mia:  Here's yet another person I brag about every year.  Mia, you have such a good heart, and you always make me smile.  I really miss seeing you around DM, so you must grace us with your presence more!

Ireond:  Welcome to your first Cheer Up Singles Day celebration!  You've delighted many by your witty presence on these boards, so I'm glad that you decided to stalk...er...follow me here after meeting me at Dragon*Con.

G-Ben:  You are very good at cheering me up when I'm sad or worried about something, even if you don't realize it.  You're an intriguing person, and I hope we will be able to find more time to chat with each other at length.

Taya:  I liked you from the moment I first read your MoN welcome e-mail in 2004.  You're a hard worker, fun, smart, and kind.  Those Aussie guys must be crazy to not have snatched you up by now!

Another thing I'd like to do is make a "survival guide" list for Valentine's Day.  How do you guys make yourselves feel special on that day?  I'll start off the list:

1.)  I think eagerly about how Cheer Up Singles Day is the next day, and how I'll get to buy chocolate for myself at the discount price.

2.)  I sleep.

3.)  I pet my cats.

4.)  I read a good book.

5.)  I pig out on candy hearts.

6.)  I distract myself by doing things on Valentine's Day that will take up all my emotional energy.  For instance, one year I scheduled an interview for graduate school on Valentine's Day so I would have the anxiety over the interview to distract me from the sadness I usually feel on Valentine's Day.

7.)  I do things couples would normally do, but I do them for myself.  For instance, I treated myself to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants last year.   

Come one, come all, to the singles party!

I dunno.. I get to give manipulative advice to the people I know that date (sometimes to opposite sides of the same couple mwahahaha), so I tend to survive Valentines Day pretty well.

I think they're catcing on though. The handlebar moustache might be a give away.

Yay singles!!! We pwn them all!!! ;D

I don't get too depressed on Valentines day. I actually had to work over Valentines, and I hadn't even noticed, really. The only thing I hate is that everyone gets sickeningly mushy. :look

dwynwen is one of the sweetest and most considerate chicks I know! I'm suprised she hasn't been swooped up by now! Then again, I don't want you being taken away from me, lol!

this is really my first year to do anything special, but I have stuff to add to the survival list from many previous years of experience! I often try not to think of just myself on valentine's day, but of other's as well. Here's a few things my friends and I did in high shool:

1. arrange to send valentine's cards to your teachers with your friends in school. always try to aim for the umarried teachers, that way you feel good about yourself making someone else feel loved as well! They will often give you candy back ;)

2. my friends and I always send each other cards and small pieces of candy that can easily be poked through those little slots in lockers since most of us were single. once we did anonymous cards that left each other guessing who they were from! ;D

3. if your school offers anonymous valentine cards and candy you can buy for people, send it to someone you know is single and down. it's always nice to put a smile on someone else's face!

4. if it puts you down watching the couples at school, try to see if you can't eat lunch with your friends in y'alls favorite teacher's room if it's during her break and just have fun together!

My cousin came to visit me for a few days, and she arrived on Valentine's Day (by coincidence), so I didn't really think about it this year. I usually do get somewhat depressed, though. And annoyed at all the ridiculous balloons :P

I guess I have nothing cheerful to say. :P

Dwyn thanks for those kind words  :-* I much appreciate them. And I agree, these Aussie boys are plain stoopid *g* I am awesome! ha.

But now that I've shown just how modest i am, I had a really great Valentine's Day one year because I...

1. Bought myself a delicious take-away dinner of Indian food

2. Bought myself a bottle of wine (I didn't drink the whole thing in one night don't worry :D)

3. Made myself a Valentine's Day CD compilation with all sorts of (what I deem to be) romantic music (from Type O Negative to Unwritten Law *lol*)

4. Wrote myself a love letter (and damn it was a good one...it went on for paragraphs *g*)

It was a great day ;) Those who have no one to do for them must do for themselves, I guess ;)

*starts up a Singles group hug* "Heros in a half relationship, Single power!"

Archived