DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who dies?

ryanalthor

And it seems that Rand is a voice in Lews Therin's head.
Not really.

Which is real? Rand, because we see him throughout the story? Or Lews Therin, that we only see in flashback and in Rand's head?
Rand. We see LTT kill himself in the aftermath of him having killed his family. Considering all his rantings about Ilyena, that must mean this either takes place in the Third Age, or LTT is imagining it sometime between Ilyena's death and Ishamael's arrival. We have no reason to believe the latter. And what a rubbish end to the series that would be - turns out it was all a dream.

Well, when RJ was writing the series, I was certain that Rand is going to survive.

But after hearing about how Brandon Sanderson's "Hero of Ages" ended and having read his Elantris, I am no longer certain about the outcome.Brandon has a flair for killing of his hero's. He even killed the hero in Elantris...almost.

If RJ hasn't already written the end, or instructed that on no uncertain terms Rand is to die, then I am afraid our dear old Rand isn't going to survive.

On a shorter note: I have noticed that in some of the fantasy series now a days, there is suddenly a lot of grand sacrifices and gritty realism being depicted...no doubt a legacy of George RR Martin. Why can't these writer leave an idea alone? As far as I know, George RR Martin is the first one to write abstract realism in fantasy. And since he is a success, lot of other writer has decided to do it. I would like to point out the fact that this idea of something new has become old and does only credit to George RR Martin. In other series, I found that they tend to mess them up.

People should come up with idea's of their own, if they want to write something different. But merely altering someone's else idea, no matter how subtle, can leave the obsessive reader like me, frustrated. Cause as I read a lot of Sci/fi fantasy, it is natural for me to find the similarity and common pattern.

No one will complaine on the similarities on basic pattern. But no offense, if you start to rip off idea like Terry did from Ayn Rand, things get pretty frustrating.

All I would like to suggest is that" YOU ARE NOT GEORGE RR MARTIN". You are an individual. Try to live by it while you write. And frankly those kind of writing is his area of expertise.

If RJ hasn't already written the end, or instructed that on no uncertain terms Rand is to die, then I am afraid our dear old Rand isn't going to survive.
I believe the ending is one of the things RJ wrote. He also left a summary of the plot. I doubt BS will deviate too much from RJ's plan.

I believe the ending is one of the things RJ wrote. He also left a summary of the plot. I doubt BS will deviate too much from RJ's plan.

From reading Brandon Sanderson's blog, this is indeed the case. Prologe and ending were both written, as well as so other bits and pieces.

RJ reportedly had the idea in his head when he began writing the books.  And if BS deviated from what RJ wrote, couldn't he be sued for violating his contract or some such?

No, it'll just not get past editing that's all.  I'm sure harriet and them would proof read first.

I think Harriet will have a big input in the book to be honest, I already read somewhere that Harriet had agreed to let Brandon slip in the identity of Asmos killer, aparrantly they've agreed on a good place to reveal it and whatnot. Dont worry guys, Harriet will keep it from going wrong. If I remember right shes been editing WoT already anyway so she's got it all in her head as well as anyone else.

RJ reportedly had the idea in his head when he began writing the books. And if BS deviated from what RJ wrote, couldn't he be sued for violating his contract or some such?
Would lynched by a horde of fans pissed off at him diverging from RJ's blueprint count as some such?

How would you know if BS doesn't follows RJ's instruction regarding how the series ends?

I get it that RJ wrote the end. Did he actually write the last chapter?

If not, then there is a lot of room to manuever for our tragedy loving BS.

Frankly, the only tragedy is going to hit hard is if Rand dies.

Though I would applaude if BS somehow manage to kill Egwene and Gwyen. It will be a really sweet tragedy. Did I say tragedy?  ;D  ;D

How would you know if BS doesn't follows RJ's instruction regarding how the series ends?
Pissed off Wilson posting on the blog about how BS betrayed RJ's vision.

If not, then there is a lot of room to manuever for our tragedy loving BS.
So RJ writes the ending, but not the last little chapter clearing up a few loose ends, so Sanderson decides to put his own stamp on that last chapter by wiping out everyone? You really see that as happening? He has very little room to manoeuvre - all the plotting has been done already. Incidentally, am I the only person here who uses the correct spelling of manoeuvre? And is he that big a fan of tragedy? I've only read Mistborn: The Final Empire, but that wasn't hugely tragic.

So RJ writes the ending, but not the last little chapter clearing up a few loose ends, so Sanderson decides to put his own stamp on that last chapter by wiping out everyone? You really see that as happening? He has very little room to manoeuvre - all the plotting has been done already. Incidentally, am I the only person here who uses the correct spelling of manoeuvre? And is he that big a fan of tragedy? I've only read Mistborn: The Final Empire, but that wasn't hugely tragic.

You should read Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages. And we already know that RJ spent most of his time refining the end of the book and poured most of his time into it. We also know that BS has said he won't be touching it except for simple editing. And we know that Wilson thinks BS is practically RJ incarnate and is doing a supreme job on the book. And we know that Harriet is masterminding the whole book and wouldn't let it slip from her husband's vision.

• 1 year later...

Archived