DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL Cover Art

Jambo

There has been some discussion about the WoT cover art and I made a poll a little while ago about the favourites, but with I was wondering what everyone thinks should/will be on the cover art for AMoL? We have seen various things shown in the current books, including: actual scenes from the book (though not exactly following the book descriptions...), made up scenes, passive scenes, action filled scenes.....and the LoC cover (gaaaaaa!)ect. so what direction do you think this one will go?

Personally I don't have high expectations because the guy they use (name?) hasn't impressed me so far , even though his is much better than I could do. I would like to see an action scene from the book, like maybe Rand facing the Forsaken at TG. oh and no hulk Rand or loverboy Rand please and thank you  ;)

If properly carried out, I'd enjoy a scene from TG. Something like a circle of 13 Aes Sedai and Asha'man with the ancient Aes Sedai symbol on their clothes surrounding Shayol Gul and Ishamael burning up in a pillar of fire at its top, fiery eyes watching in disbelief (in the front, lower left half of the cover). And then in the back a huge mass of men, trollocs, fades, Ogier, wolves fighting under the crazy Shayol Gul sky torn up by lightning and parts of each army being blown off in the air by earth explosion.. But I'm getting dreamy here :)

I have to say that I Hate the US covers. Hate, with a capitol H. And indeed all trashy generic fantasyland cover art. If I were judging a book by its cover, and as a consumer who doesn't have time to pick up every single book in the area and check the blurb that's what often happens I'd barely give this book the time of day, but I'd pick this one up.

Simple, elegent, less crap.

I have to say that I Hate the US covers. Hate, with a capitol H. And indeed all trashy generic fantasyland cover art. If I were judging a book by its cover, and as a consumer who doesn't have time to pick up every single book in the area and check the blurb that's what often happens I'd barely give this book the time of day, but I'd pick this one up.

I, for one, would pick the first. It's quite personal. There are people who prefer simple mono- or bi-coloured covers and then there are those who prefer pretty, shiny, sparkly ones. So it really is very specific and varies from person to person. One man's meat is another man's poison... :)

Agreed.  Plus, the British version (I think it's the UK version?) is much more dignified.

If properly carried out, I'd enjoy a scene from TG. Something like a circle of 13 Aes Sedai and Asha'man with the ancient Aes Sedai symbol on their clothes surrounding Shayol Gul and Ishamael burning up in a pillar of fire at its top, fiery eyes watching in disbelief (in the front, lower left half of the cover). And then in the back a huge mass of men, trollocs, fades, Ogier, wolves fighting under the crazy Shayol Gul sky torn up by lightning and parts of each army being blown off in the air by earth explosion.. But I'm getting dreamy here :)

Sounds like you should be drawing the cover  :D If you don't know how to draw, you've still got a year to learn, so get cracking  :P

Agreed.  Plus, the British version (I think it's the UK version?) is much more dignified.

Yeah, it looks like a more serious book than *badly proportioned hobbit woman and huge guy wearing a kabuto* too. I'll buy AMOL whatever cover they slap on it, but when the paperback comes out with cover to match my other 11 I'll buy that and give my silly covered hardback to charity.

DKS gets a lot of crap and editorial interference for his art, too. It's not all his fault...

(and the American covers are just fine, until you realize how inaccurate they are; but that doesn't happen until you've picked the books up, so they must be doing the job okay...)

I've always been a fan of the DKS covers, and I'm sure whatever he comes up with I'll probably like.

But when ever I imagine the cover it's just a hazy grey cover with "A Memory of Light" "Book Twelve of The Wheel of Time" and then "Robert Jordan" on one side and "Brandon Sanderson" written on the other. And maybe a shining Callendar in the center.

That would be just fine by me.

Back on the original topic... this gets awfully esoteric/abstract for DKS, but I'd like to see it play off the title, and bring back in the 'fireflies' from Min's viewings. Maybe the Three Boys marching toward TG, with an army of Aiel, Asha'man, Aes Sedai and gods-know-what-else behind them, and ahead just blackness, swirling crazy clouds, and overhead...a few sparks.

I really like Triadruid's idea.

I'm having a couple thoughts:

1)  An image from the TG battlefield, preferably including our three heroes, when the creator FINALLY enters the scene, and reminds everyone who weaves the pattern.  (in some form or another). 

2)  May be a little "fantastical" for my tastes, but has anyone ever considered that the story may present a real / living Dragon in some way?  I've always wondered about that sinuous figure since the prologue to book 1.

All right, this time I'm being serious.  :P

I think they've got two options.

1) A battle scene or some other epic type of scene depicting the ferocious outplay of the struggle. 

2) A simple cover reflecting more on the philosophical nature and the finality of the books, such as the Great Serpent or some other type of symbol (more in line with the UK covers).

Like I said before, I like option 2 better.

hmmm i would imagine Rand standing in the middle of the cover holding Callantor above his head (with both hands) with his face contorted, from an intense amount of light coming from an unknown region. The faces (or the entire body idk) of all the main charectors will be next to him (Mat on the immediate right, and Perrin on the immediate left). And then then behind the faces; an image of the Last Battle, with the one power striking on either sides of the army and men and trollocs slashing away at each other

now that will be EPIC

I think a great cover would be the army of light (ashamen, aes sedai, aiel, borderlanders etc) gathered in a city (doesn't matter which one) being led through a massive gateway and on the other side of the gateway is a massive battle scene at shayol ghul with hordes of trollocs, myrdraals, drakhars and all other nasties battling it out with massive explosions and dead bodies and in the background looms shayol ghul and the bore in some apocalyptic representation (what yet, im not sure)

I really can't wait for this book, i got goosebumps writing this

Archived