DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

DF percentage in various groups of people

Cockta

I think this matter has been touched before, but not completely dug into, I think.

I wonder how many DF there could be with the Tinkers, or the Aiel, or the Sharans, or the Seanchan. There are so many nations and groups of people that I don't have an indea of the probable percentage of DF, so I wonder if someone could explain this closer to me.

There is no information available on this.

But using a bit logic and common sense, some things can be at least strongly suggested.

Aes Sedai should have a slightly larger percentage, because that is a group where the shadow would have a strong interest in active recruiting. And there is a strong DF organisation running things.

Aiel should be lower than average. Being a nomadic people, with a strong and peculiar sense of honur, active recruiting would be quite hard.

Tnkers should be even lower than Aiel. Not only do they have similarities regarding lifestyle, the shadow should have a low interest in active recruiting.

Etc.

Of course, I am only considering active DFs here. If you just take people who are leaning towards the shadow, it should be quite similar with most groups.

Aiel should be lower than average. Being a nomadic people, with a strong and peculiar sense of honur, active recruiting would be quite hard.

The Aiel are also a lot harder on finding and routing out Darkfriends from their societies than those in the wetlands, as Aviendha (I think it was her) mentioned to Rand.

There is at least one Tinker DF, though we know nothing about him/her.  My opinion is that it is Raine.

I'm intrigued, what is your evidence for this?

If you're asking about the Tinker darkfriend--we see him in the tGH prologue from Carridan's PoV. If your asking why he thinks its Raen... I'm as stumped as you.

And this was meant to be a trilogy. ::)
I heard it was supposed to be 6 or 7 books...
The only quote I remember seeing from RJ on the issue said that when he pitched the series to Tor, he said he didn't know how long it would be. No fixed number. George R.R. Martin, on the other hand, apparently did say ASoIaF would be a trilogy. And as for Douglas Adams...

It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, but when tGH came out RJ and ToR decided to expand it to a six book series. Then around the time RJ was completing the Shadow Rising it was decided that it would be as long as it needed, and in all contracts thereafter the number was left indeterminate.

George Martin--i only remember that he intended to write six books--but he intended them to be two seperate trilogies, the second taking place five years after the first. But he decided that wouldn't work so wrote one (which became two) bridging novels to cover the time between the first and second trilogies (which he cut down from five years to one or two) and so now it will be eight books in one series, with no break in the time.

Hopefully.

Neither do I. Can be hard to keep track of hundreds of characters.

I find the encyclopaedia WoT helps if i cant remember who a character was.

It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, but when tGH came out RJ and ToR decided to expand it to a six book series. Then around the time RJ was completing the Shadow Rising it was decided that it would be as long as it needed, and in all contracts thereafter the number was left indeterminate.
I've seen people say that, but the I've never seen a qote from RJ, that I can recall. This interview says RJ originally pitched 6. On the other hand, this says "I told him that I had an idea for a multi-volume book. I didn't know how many books"

George Martin--i only remember that he intended to write six books--but he intended them to be two seperate trilogies, the second taking place five years after the first. But he decided that wouldn't work so wrote one (which became two) bridging novels to cover the time between the first and second trilogies (which he cut down from five years to one or two) and so now it will be eight books in one series, with no break in the time.
From what I've heard, he originally planned 3 books, then A Game of Thrones proved to be much longer than he was intending (A Dance With Dragons was supposed to be the second book, I believe), so the tale grew in the telling. He was planning six, with a five year gap between the end of A Storm of Swords and A Dance With Dragons. The five year gap wasn't working, so he scrapped it. The new ADWD proved too long, so he split it, the first part being published as A Feast For Crows, and the original 2nd book is now the 5th! He still plans to finish the series in seven books.

Archived